Start by marking “The Story of My Wife” as Want to Read:
The Story of My Wife

The Story of My Wife

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Translated from the Hungarian by Ivan Sanders.
Published March 13th 1989 by Vintage (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of My Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of My Wife

Zack
An outstanding piece of work. Fust should have gotten the Nobel prize (he almost did). Embarrasing number of typos (especially for a Vintage International pressing of a book that's now almost 70 years old), but at least it's available in English. Sort of a lower-key cross between Dostoevsky and early Hamsun, with hints of Proust. Soldily in the vein of the early 20th century "down and out" confessional novel that says more between (and beyond) the lines than what the narrator seems to "think" he ...more
William E. Fleming
Cualquiera que lee por primera vez a este autor, verá que su prosa es caótica, loca, que parece no seguir un patrón predefinido en toda novela. Pero ahí radica el error por el cual muchos dejan la novela sin terminar. Por lo que no comprenden la prosa de este autor europeo.

Fust, juega a convertir el pensamiento de un hombre, Jakab un marinero, en papel.
La forma de pensar, de todos es del mismo estilo que esta novela, rememorando hechos que al parecer son inconexos o no hacen avanzar la trama.

Al
Mimi
what a wild ride this book is! The narrator is wildly jealous of his wife, but on very obscure grounds; and he can't stop himself imagining all kinds of things about her, but that isn't all. He goes off on one tangent after another, including his own infidelities, business adventures, his travels (he is a sea captain, at least part of the time). He is exhausting and infuriating; today we would say at the least that he's hyperactive. Towards the end he also becomes a sad, incomplete person.
Francisco
Una novela intrascendente, pesada... He tardado más de tres meses en terminarla, y únicamente por vergüenza.
No he conseguido, a estas alturas, saber si lo que me contaba era interesante o no; la narración no se hilvana, no hay innovaciones técnicas, es plana, no consigue atrapar al lector.
Beáta
It's about a marriage. The man tells their story. He tells about his wife who wasn't faithfull...
Beáta
This novel is about an eternal triangle, so it isn't a happy story but I liked it.
Réka Kovács
Réka Kovács marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Joseph M
Joseph M marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Rreka01
Rreka01 marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Lluís
Lluís marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Mariam Kayali
Mariam Kayali marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Peachie
Peachie marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Heli
Heli marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Norbert
Norbert marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Rahina
Rahina marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Andrew Wright
Andrew Wright marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014