Start by marking “Did I Expect Angels?” as Want to Read:
Did I Expect Angels?

Did I Expect Angels?

Jennifer Huffaker knows that grief is normal, but she thought she'd get over it-that's what people do. But it's been eighteen months since her husband Jack died, and she still can't focus on her young daughter Kaitlin, can't accept support from her family, and can't allow herself to live without the love of her life. Jennifer is angry at everything and everyone-including ...more
Published August 24th 2007 by iUniverse

To ask other readers questions about Did I Expect Angels?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Did I Expect Angels?

Beverly
Jul 10, 2009 Beverly rated it really liked it
Jennifer Huffaker has been mourning the loss of her husband for quite some time now. Friends & family are tiring of her constant state of depression & inability to raise her daughter "normally". Enough is enough.

Jennifer notices herself that when her daughter is with others, she is full of laughter & smiles like a child should be. She starts to wonder if it's not best to end her own pain and leave Kaitlin with her grandparents, living a normal life again?

Henry is the "greeter" at a l
Lynnae
Nov 03, 2016 Lynnae rated it liked it
I'm proud that I made it through this, I wanted to stop when things just stayed dark. It started out fine, with a couple of interesting quirks (the strange goblin toys, and odd sense of sad movies she enjoyed), but I played into it and rejoiced at their seemingly normal lives and budding relationship. Then it got pretty gloomy and some depressive emotions were both happening and felt watching her go through shattering tragedies. The interlinking story of the Puerto Rican's was also full of ...more
Debbie
Aug 07, 2009 Debbie rated it liked it
Shelves: rtbook, reviewer-copy
There was a plan in place for Jennifer Huffaker, after more than a year of trying to cope and move on, Jennifer had finally decided what she needed to do to give her daughter a better chance at a happy life. - Henry had lived his life, he’d been handed ups and downs, gone from poverty in Costa Rica to having a good life in New York. Now in his retirement, Henry has taken a job as a greeter at the local discount store. When he sees Jennifer come in late one night, looking more down than normal, ...more
April
Jan 01, 2016 April rated it really liked it
Everyone deals with grief in their own way and in the novel "Did I Expect Angels?" Jennifer Huffaker is drowning in her grief for her husband. It's been eighteen months since his death and she still has a hard time getting out of bed and taking care of her young daughter, Kaitlin. On the day after Christmas she finally makes a drastic decision and heads to the local discount store to buy the supplies she needs. While at the check-out she is spotted by Henry, an elderly friend who works as a ...more
Darcy Odden
Feb 13, 2010 Darcy Odden rated it it was amazing
In Kathryn Maughan's "DId I Expect Angels?" readers are shown how immensely grief can affect those left behind. Maughan intertwines the stories of Jennifer Huffaker, a young widow, and Henry, a greeter at a grocery store Jennifer frequents. Henry is an immigrant from Costa Rica who has lived in the U.S. for 40 years.

Readers first meet Jennifer the day after Christmas as she is trying to buy enough aspirin to kill herself. Jennifer's husband, Jack, died in a car accident 18 months earlier. Her gr
Elaine
Dec 18, 2012 Elaine rated it did not like it
Shelves: adult-fiction
I don't know any other way to say it - - I just did not like this book. I found it trite, predictable and (I'm sorry!) simplistic. I think it all boils down to Jennifer, the main character. I just found her to be shallow, whiney and .... well .... self-absorbed. Therefore I just could not develop any understanding or sympathy. The description of her downward spiral was laborious, overly-detailed and repetitive - - I found myself pleading, "Please, get on with the story!" The other possibility is ...more
Rosemary
Feb 03, 2013 Rosemary rated it really liked it
Did I Expect Angels? by Kathryn Maughan is the story of two lives torn apart, then brought back together with strength and courage. Jennifer Huffaker's plan to commit suicide after the tragic death of her husband is derailed by a well-meaning and wise angel, in the form of a immigrant from Costa Rica. Henry has had his own tragedies, and it is his story that makes this book so compelling. The characters are extremely well developed and the plot is unraveled by alternating Jennifer's story with ...more
Janet
Aug 11, 2009 Janet rated it it was amazing
My friend is the author of this book. I bought the book on Amazon to support her effort and was quite impressed by what a good novel she wrote. The book was compelling and kept me turning the pages. I honestly shed a few tears and felt with the character. (Interestingly, I was wondering the whole time who the angel would be due to the title of the book.)

If a book club is interested in reading her book, the author, Kathryn Maughan, says she is happy to call into the book club and answer questions
Tricia
Jun 04, 2008 Tricia rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to read this, and I got it done in just over 24 hours. The story alternates between Jennifer and Henry. Jennifer, a 30-something mom, is at a crisis point in her life when Henry, a store greeter, steps in to help her. Henry has also been through tough times. An immigrant from Costa Rica, Henry has had to start his life from nothing.

I'm being intentionally vague about the plot, only because I love how the story unfolds between the two voices. It is an inspirational story because
Lela
Oct 18, 2012 Lela rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads

A heart tugging, compelling book! Well written and so real. I felt I knew all the people in the book not long after I started. I'm not sure if I would have bought this book just from reading about it but I won it on goodreads giveaway and I'm so glad I did! There was so much sadness and I just wasn't sure there was any way to get through all that pain. It takes time and slogging through many emotions....and just getting on with it because there's no other real choice. My favorite character was H
Christina
Sep 07, 2016 Christina rated it liked it
Recommended to Christina by: Trish
Shelves: 2008-reads, fiction
I cannot flaw the writing. I loved the flow, the dipping in and out of Jennifer’s story as she heard Henry’s. But the ending felt rushed. I didn’t want it to be tied up with a bow, and while the bow wasn’t there, it felt like Maughan was in a rush to finish. I also didn’t get sucked into the characters or the story like I expected.

I can’t say Jennifer or Henry, or this story, will stick with me forever. In fact, I finished the novel Wednesday night and I’ve pretty much forgotten all of it. It’s
Gayle
Feb 03, 2009 Gayle rated it really liked it
"Did I Expect Angels?" was a pleasure to read from beginning to end. The author intertwines the stories of Jennifer, a young mother dealing with the the loss of her husband, and Henry, an immigrant from Costa Rica, skillfully throughout the book. The story is touching and inspired me to look for ways to better help those around me.

However, I found myself loving this book because of the characters. The author does a fantastic job of infusing her characters with the full range of human emotion whi
Loretta
Oct 11, 2012 Loretta rated it it was amazing
When I was lucky enough to win an autographed copy of the book through Goodreads First Reads, I wasn't quite sure of how the story would proceed. There are two separate stories within this book, that of Jennifer, a young widow, and that of Henry, an older man originally from Costa Rica. How their stories intersect is how the book proceeds. Once I started the book, I did not want to put it down! The stories of their lives is well told. Be sure to have tissues handy!

I will definitely look for othe
Ambra
Sep 11, 2008 Ambra rated it really liked it
We read this book in our book club. It is a great book, very touching story for anyone whom has ever suffered the loss of a loved one. She intertwines 2 life stories, one of a young mother Jennifer from the States and an elderly man Henry, an imigrant from Costa Rica. We were able to speak with the author, Kathryn Maughan via speaker phone during our book review. This is her 1st novel and she was inspired to write this story based on events that unfolded after Sept 11. She is originally from ...more
Jan
Dec 01, 2008 Jan rated it it was amazing
I like to load up on Christmas books at the end of the year and just happened to run across this one. It's a thin book, but there are a lot of words on those pages and I thought I wasn't going to make it to the end. It starts off slow, going back and forth between two stories, without a visible point to it.

But I'm glad I kept going. This is one of those books that makes you think about your own life. Whether you have angels saving you at the most important times, or if you're even worth saving.

T
Greg
Dec 18, 2008 Greg rated it it was amazing
The heart string tugging tale of a young mother struggling to deal with the tragic death of her husband. Absolutely loved this book! Kathryn does an amazing job of not only bringing the characters to life, but also making the reader feel as though he were a small part of the lives of the people in the story. I believe this book induced every human emotion I'm capable of feeling through-out as I quickly allowed the characters one by one into my heart and my life. Humor, sadness, love, anger. Its ...more
Elizabeth
Sep 08, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
We just read this book in August. We had a rare opportunity to speak with the author via speaker phone. She currently lives in New York but is originally from Utah. It was interesting to ask questions about her motivations for certain scenarios and character traits that she wrote about. She said that many of her inspirations came from Sept. 11. It was a very touching book and I would recommend it!
Cecilyrebecca
Feb 14, 2009 Cecilyrebecca rated it really liked it
It was a fun fast easy read. I liked the characters and the storyline(s). I thought that it ended pretty ubuptly after the two stories merged although I still really liked it.

I'm tempted to give it 5 starts because a friend of mine wrote this book and I think that EVERYONE should read it! GO KATHY!!
Kathy
Dec 28, 2012 Kathy rated it liked it
i won this book from goodreads first-reads. I did like this book and I found the story interesting. I did find Jennifer to be shallow and annoying. I would have liked to understand her better.
CatholicBibliophagist
Like the main character of this novel, I am a young widow. So I was interested in the author's depiction of grief, coping, and the unexpected angels we meet when we least expect it. The book is touching, poignant, and also funny.
Tracee
Jan 30, 2012 Tracee rated it liked it
I really like this book. It was clean, and had a good message. Not just for those who are suicidal (as the main character is) but for everyone. It's just a good reminder to take inventory of what you DO have rather than what you don't.
Rusti
Sep 03, 2008 Rusti rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I stayed up until 2am to finish it. Though the story is melancholy, it left me feeling inspired and so so grateful. I'm looking forward to more books from this author.
Christie
Sep 05, 2008 Christie rated it really liked it
This author is fantastic. We had our monthly book club meeting last night and she did a phone in to answer our questions. I highly recommend this book.
Jody
Jul 15, 2012 Jody rated it really liked it

I expected more, the story was good, the characters relatable, grief and depression....it just seemed she was tired of writing and ended it without really completing the story.
Judy
Sep 21, 2012 Judy rated it it was ok
Shelves: good-read-wins
3rd Book I won from Good-Reads! hard for me to get into at first, but now I am getting into it a bit more than when I first started reading it
Maureen Rymer
Maureen Rymer rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2009
Cristina
Cristina rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2008
Mike
Sep 15, 2012 Mike marked it as to-read
Shelves: giveaways, books
I received from Goodreads First Reads:
Alison
Alison rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Prepare
  • The Brightworking
  • Route 66:The People-The Places-The Dream
  • The Soul of Anime: Collaborative Creativity and Japan's Media Success Story
  • Guruji: A Portrait of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois Through the Eyes of His Students
  • Raven's Blood (Raven Chronicles book 4)
  • Xor: The Shape of Darkness
  • The Rexworth Manifesto
  • Sabbath in the Suburbs: A Family's Experiment with Holy Time
  • The Hangman's Companion (Jim McGill, #2)
  • Josh (Wyoming Sky, #2)
  • How Not to Save the World (A Remi Austin Adventure)
  • Confessions of a Tarot Reader: Practical Advice From This Realm and Beyond