Start by marking “Astronaut Handbook” as Want to Read:
Astronaut Handbook

Astronaut Handbook

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  42 reviews
DO YOU HAVE what it takes to be an astronaut? Meghan McCarthy blasts readers off to astronaut school in her new, young, nonfiction picture book. Take a ride on the “Vomit Comet” and learn how it feels to be weightless. Have your measurements taken—100 to be exact—for your very own space suit. Meghan McCarthy has created the perfect book to share with children who want to b ...more
Published June 10th 2008 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Astronaut Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Astronaut Handbook

The Jupiter Chronicles by Leonardo RamirezIf You Decide To Go To The Moon by Faith McNultyI Want to Be an Astronaut by Byron BartonAstronaut Handbook by Meghan MccarthySee Inside Space by Katie Daynes
Best Space Books For Kids
4th out of 36 books — 47 voters
Me...Jane by Patrick McDonnellBalloons Over Broadway by Melissa SweetA Seed Is Sleepy by Dianna Hutts AstonRedwoods by Jason ChinSwirl by Swirl by Joyce Sidman
Best non-fiction picture books
56th out of 220 books — 71 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Nov 20, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children interested in becoming astronauts or going into any field that requires preparation
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I wasn’t in a good mood to read it and it’s been years since I was extremely intrigued by space travel, but this is a terrific non-fiction book about the subject. When I was young, I did enjoy the freeze dried blocks of Neapolitan ice cream, designed for space travel, and a bar of that makes its appearance in this book. I would also like to ride the vomit comet, also mentioned here, but only after heavily medicating with ginger or other travel sic ...more
Kathryn
Nov 10, 2010 Kathryn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in what it takes to be an astronaut
Loved this one! It is all about "you" as the reader and it provides information about what you will need to learn, experience and do in order to become an astronaut, things you'll need to study, personality traits to cultivate, etc. So, it's more informative than bossy. The illustrations aren't the best I've ever seen, but they are FUN and some are very descriptive. I think many children will be especially intrigued by the illustration of the spaceship bathroom where everything is labeled (and, ...more
Betsy
Back up! Back up swiftly now, because I don't know how much longer I can hold her in. She's coming out, I can feel it. Yes... YES... It's the return of Curmudgeonly Old Lady and there's nothing I can do to stop her tirades! Flee for your very life!

Why when I was a mere wisp of a girl of four or five do you know whom every girl my age wanted to be? No, not Mary Lou Retton (though that would be a strong guess). It was Sally Ride. Every child my age knew exactly who Sally Ride was. First American w
Ann
Nov 25, 2010 Ann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ann by: Kathryn
How cool is this book! It made me want to become and astronaut!
The book covers the basics of what it takes to become an astronaut, the types of astronauts there are, the training required, and then tidbits of what it's like in space, with a page devoted the parts of the spacesuit, and a page devoted to the workings of the space toilet. The illustrations are not totally my style, but they work, and certainly make space life look exciting. There's more information in the back matter, and suggestio
I'm digging Meghan McCarthy's take on nonfiction. Her pictures are fun, the text is straightforward and accurate, and she gets what appeals to kids. I especially appreciate that her astronauts are diverse. She includes a detailed picture of a space potty, which I'm sure that 2nd and 3rd graders will love inspecting.
Romelle
A nonfiction book disguised as a picture book. I love the fun, bold illustrations. Meghan McCarthy's clever title, paired with her bubble-eyed characters in spacesuits, makes this book appealing. Astronaut Handbook gives readers an insight on what it takes to become an astronaut. Told in second person point-of-view, this book makes a fun and fascinating read. You'll forget you're reading a nonfiction. It's a great example of creative nonfiction.

The back of the book lists fascinating facts about
Melanie
Great book for any budding astronauts out there. The book is written as an introduction to the reader to astronaut school. it then goes on to describe what you need to know to be an astronaut from the different types of jobs, to needing to study and be fit. It goes through the training such as physical, survival and equipment and then what to expect once in space. The book gives a lot of great information but in a very concise and easy to read format. Is easy enough to read for young readers but ...more
Amy
I thought that Astronaut Handbook was a nice, interesting, concise description of what astronauts must do in order to, well, become astronauts. I liked that it wasn't all about how cool it is to be an astronaut, but it stressed that it's a job that comes with a lot of hard work, a lot of training, and a lot of business that may not always be so pleasant. And yet, the book still managed to make this look like a pretty cool thing to be when one grows up!

My niece and nephew both seemed to be intere
Nina
Jun 22, 2012 Nina added it
Name: Kristina Jewell

Title: McCarthy, M. (2008). Astronaut handbook. United States of America: Alfred A. Knopf.

Call Number: 629.45

Reference Type: Handbook

Description: This handbook for students in grades k-3 relies on visuals to deliver information about astronauts. The images are simple, bold and exciting for young readers.

Price: $16.99

Relevance and Relationship: Space science is a highly interesting subject for young students and is often seen on the news and in movies. The 21st century has
Marcia
This is a really fun picture book that shares some of the cool thing one must do to become an astronaut. It has an upbeat, "you can do it" vibe and great illustrations (they remind me of Tedd Arnold with the big eyes.) Really fun and loads of gross kid appeal--how do astronauts go to the bathroom in space? What is the "vomit comet"? Excellent back matter and additional resources make this a useful book for a space study, too.
Luann
This is a nice overview for children of what it takes to become an astronaut. There isn't a lot of text on most of the pages, but still quite a lot of information is conveyed.

My favorite parts were the pages towards the end that gave some very interesting bits of information - such as a labeled diagram of a space toilet and a space suit. The fascinating facts page at the end really was fascinating.

I had a hard time reading the information on the bibliography page because of the black text on t
I'm uncomfortable saying why I only gave this 3 stars...because Meghan is on GoodReads...and I REALLY like her as a person, as an author, and as an artist.

Let's just say this: I'm convinced that she's going to be another Kevin Henkes. She's going to develop a signature style that we're all used to and expect from her...then she's going to WHAM! us with something like "Kitten's First Full Moon." Something unexpected and lovely that makes us all say: "Where did THAT come from?!" And we'll shower h
Robin Rousu
This is what picture book nonfiction should aspire to be. It is short, funny, teaches you something new, and makes you want to learn more. Highly recommended for ages 4-7.
heather
Great book about how to become an astronaut. I love the picture of the space toilet. What a great visual literacy oppty.
KidsNonFiction Teton County Library
J 629.45 MCCARTHY
This book will help your child prepare for life as an astronaut. Other important lessons are learned along the way. Cooperation, teamwork, staying in school, survival skills, and studying hard are emphasized. The illustrations are funny, and mysteries are solved along the way, including the important answer to the question: "What do space toilets look like?" This is a humorous, inspirational book, whether you actually ever leave the Earth's orbit or not. (Suzy)

This would be a g
Kevin
Great beginning book for teaching kids about what astronauts do.
JustOneMoreBook.com
Starring pop-eyed recruits and friendly second-person narrative, this Cybils 2008-2009 NonFiction Picture Book category finalist dispenses enticing details of space travel training while gently nudging keen readers toward the healthy habits that just might make their dreams come true.

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.
Suzy

Sarah Kiesche
This is a really cute book that tells kids about how to become an astronaut in a cute and engaging manner. There were some parts about astronaut training that surprised me. (They need survival training) I love that they emphasize that you have to be very smart and stay in school to become an astronaut. I think this is a great book to use in many different ways: dreams, jobs, growing up, space, etc. K-3
Susan
0-7. easy nonfiction with cute illustrations giving young readers a intro into astronauts and how they prepare to go to space. Gives facts, like how much a space suit weighs, physical and academic training they have, the food they eat, a space toilet etc. Has a way of being informative and entertaining at once, and encourages kids that anyone can be an astronaut. Has bib in back and a fact page.
jacky
Natalie was excited to read this and learn about astronauts. It was age appropriate for 4-5 years old. Gender imbalance - only one female.
Sarah W
This book takes a look at what the job of astronaut all entails. With the recent end of the space shuttle program, a few details of this book are now dates. The pictures and information are engaging and it provides a multifaceted view of what working as an astronaut requires.

This would be a good work to share with classes researching different kinds of jobs.
Boni
Great for younger kids, this is a straight-forward and basic explanation of astronauts and what they do. The information included is exactly what younger children will be curious about and explained in terms they can understand. I especially enjoyed the illustrations- I think this is my favorite Meghan McCarthy book so far!
Jen H.
Great book for elementary kids interested in space. Explains how astronauts prepare for missions, what they eat in space, and what the space suit looks like. The back includes fascinating facts about space and astronauts and places to visit if you are interested in space.
Sunday
A GREAT read aloud for 2nd and 3rd grade students and a book for independent reading in grades 2-5. Interesting facts, draws the reader or listener into thinking about what is required to be an astronaut. Well written with big clear illustrations.
Cass Mabbott
Wow! Thanks, Jane L-S for sending me this! I would have loved this when I was 8. It's a traning manual for becoming an astronaut. The illustrations and language are very uplifting and fun. So much so, maybe I'll consider a career change.
Joenna
A basic overview of the astronaut profession. Talks about education needed, training involved, and other interesting facts about what astronauts do. Kind of in a picture book format, so better for younger kids.
The Library Lady
The bug eyed kids look more like something out of a Doreen Cronin book than astronaut wannabees. That said, we can always use good non-fiction about space and astronauts for the younger set, and this fits the bill.
Elisabeth
Cute. I like that this manages to be informational give an impression of the reality of what it means to be an astronaut while retaining the sweet and simple picture/storybook format.
Ruth
Find out all it takes to be an astronaut. Take a ride on the "Vomit Comet" and see a space shuttle toilet! Lots of fun information. Very simple drawings. Text is good; illustrations ok.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Elizabeth Leads the Way: Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the Right to Vote
  • Wolfsnail: A Backyard Predator
  • A Rock Is Lively
  • Mama Built a Little Nest: with audio recording
  • Neighborhood Sharks: Hunting with the Great Whites of California's Farallon Islands
  • Life-Size Zoo: From Tiny Rodents to Gigantic Elephants, An Actual Size Animal Encyclopedia
196948
Children's book author of many wonderful fiction and nonfiction books for young readers, including the below following. Meghan's books have won the IRA-CBC Children's Choice, ALA Notable, Kirkus Reviews Reviewer's Choice, Booklist Best Books, NYPL 100 Best Books, SLJ Best Books, and so on. Blah blah blah, what Meghan really wants to do is drive really fast and jump in really long grass until she g ...more
More about Meghan Mccarthy...
Pop!: The Invention of Bubble Gum Daredevil: The Daring Life of Betty Skelton Aliens Are Coming!: The True Account of the 1938 War of the Worlds Radio Broadcast The Incredible Life of Balto Seabiscuit the Wonder Horse