Golden Urchin

Golden Urchin

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  708 ratings  ·  95 reviews
In the scorching Australian Desert, A wild beautiful woman recues a man from death... He was a handsome English aristocrat, sprawled in the dunes, dying of thirst. She was a white skinned savage, fleeing the aborigine tribe that found her and raised her but still shunned the fiery haired outcast.

Suddenly Meg is aboout to escape her primitive life as Luke introduces her to...more
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published November 12th 1987 by Fawcett (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Golden Urchin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Golden Urchin

Tweety
Dec 10, 2013 Tweety rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Tarzan, Victoria Holt, or Gothic/Adventure.
Recommended to Tweety by: Dorcas
There are so many shelves I want to put this book under! Adventure is at the top of that list and I think it can even go under thriller just for those last few chapters…

Mitji has never known anything or anyone but the Aboriginal tribe that brought her up. They say she came from the Totem Gods, after all, she looks nothing like them! Mitji is a freak of nature what with her fiery red hair and sparkling green eyes. And then there is her nose. No aborigine has a narrow nose, so she can not be fully...more
Bree (AnotherLookBook)
Jun 11, 2014 Bree (AnotherLookBook) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of books about Australia, native tribes, & strong women
A historical novel about a young woman who grows up among aborigines as a white-skinned “freak,” until she stumbles across a dying white man and discovers the world of her own people. 1986.

Full review (and other recommendations!) at Another look book

Totally amazing book. This book represents the very best of historical fiction. My favorite parts are the early parts, when the main character is trying to understand all the new things she's encountering in the new world of the white man. I also env...more
Sherwood Smith
Somebody recommended these books recently when I wrote a blog post about romantic adventure. This book is so much fun!

I haven't had so much sheer reading fun for ages. At the start, Meg is a reject from the aboriginal tribe she was adopted by. Because she's white, she's a non-person, and no one will willingly touch her. So she runs away, stumbles across the aftermath of a gunfight.

One of the combatants is alive, so she saves him . . . he turns out to be a rancher. He takes her home to his lovel...more
Dorcas
I loved this book! A girl is kidnapped and found by a tribe of aboriginies. She grows up with the tribe and thinks she's a freak of nature left by the "totem gods ". After many years she leaves the village, saves the life of a man dying in a desert, finds a new home and learns to live as a white woman.
But who is she?
Someone knows and an attempt is made on her life. The question is why?
Her travels take her from Australia to Switzerland to England and finally to Africa where the adventure climax...more
Linda
Mar 10, 2008 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adventure lovers
Recommended to Linda by: Vanessa H.
Shelves: historicals
I try to balance my reading with fiction, non-fiction, and fluff. Fluff being fun, escapist books that are fast to read and...well, you know. Madeleine Brent fills the bill. She is really a he named Peter O'Donnell, a British writer famous for his Modesty Blaise books. He wanted to break into the American market, so he decided that romance novels were the way to go. His/her romances are more adventure novels and don't have explicit sex in them. Golden Urchin is one of my favorites. A little girl...more
Aleta
Mi suegris me ofreció prestarme unos libros que ella tenía guardados y que ni ella misma había leído. Este fue el único que me llamó la atención por tratarse de una historia que se desarrolla en Australia. Estamos hablando de una edición de 1990, así que sus páginas ya lucen amarillentas. Sin embargo, la historia me gustó. No parece ser un tema explotado en la actualidad asi que pude saborearme la historia. Contiene el tema amoroso que logró sacarme el suspiro. Está entretenida pero no como para...more
Paula
I'll have to admit that this book is not my usual genre. I usually read paranormal, sci/fi. Futuristic (Hot romance stuff). While flipping through suggestions I saw this and it sounded intriguing. I really couldn't stop reading, except when I HAD to sleep. Loved it. Now I'm giving it to my daughter to read. I laughed, I cried, I got quite frustrated at some of the characters at times. And the mysteries...don't get me started, I recommend this book wholeheartedly to anyone who likes to read, eve...more
Alyson
Feb 11, 2013 Alyson rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Alyson by: Heidi
Shelves: 2013, book-club, fiction
I went through this in record time, so there was a lot about it that I liked. However, it was also overwrought—filled with situations and events that would never actually happen, let alone all of them to a single individual. I know for some people this makes great reading; for me it is exhausting in its unbelievability.

The writing was good, the pace was good, the characters (especially the protagonist Meg) were all very likeable and well-drawn. And even the unbelievable parts were, at minimum, s...more
Leaflitterlady
This is the first of the Madeleine Brent books I ever read. Mitji is the white orphan child taken in by a tribe of Aborigines in the Austrailian outback, but after a falling out with one of her closest friends in the tribe, Mitji decides to leave the tribe in search of her own kind, the white people. She becomes Meg, the young English lady who wins the heart of a kindly couple in Perth and finds out that she in the heiress to a grand fortune. There's no sense in spilling a drop of the complex, r...more
Donna
This is a historical romance about Meg, a British girl who was raised in the outback by the tribe of Australian Aborigines. After a chance meeting, a rancher and his wife take her in and educate her. An attempt on her life leads to questions about her past, and Meg learns that her outback instincts can be just as valuable in civilization as they were in the desert where she grew up.

It's a predictable but entertaining story with a lot of adventure and travel. There were some aspects of the romanc...more
Stephen Smarr
Predictable, yes, as all Brent books are, but I love MB and this book. I think this one is one of my favorites of hers/his. All of the books Peter Odonnell wrote under this name have strong, moral heroines with something that sets them apart from everyone else and helps them bring something to the table no one else could ever do. Love this book in particular because of Meg, the heroine. She's down to earth for someone raised by aborigines till she was 15 then thrown into a world of murder, greed...more
Jamie
This is the second of Madeleine Brent's books that I have read. Brent definitely follows a formula, but the situation was so different it made it a lot of fun. I really enjoyed this book. I love the characters in these books. They're some of the best I've read. This book is about a young girl who grows up as an aborigine in the Australian outback. She was found by her tribe when she was young and doesn't fit in because she has red hair and white skin. She can't stand it after a while and leaves...more
Jessica
I really enjoyed this book. Sure, there is no way that everything in there could happen to one person, but that didn't bother me. It was a fast paced read, just bringing in things to keep you going. There is enough adventure, and yes some romance, to just enjoy. It starts out in Australia and moves into England, following the life of a teenage girl discovering who she is. The only bad thing, is from my understanding, the book is out of print so it could be hard to find, unless your library has g...more
Anneceleste
Another great book from M Brent. The plot is about the same and now that I have read four of his books it is possible to predict the progress. This one is taking place in Australia, England and Africa.
I like them in this order:
-Merlin's keep (my favorite)(Himalyan mountains, India, England)supernatural element.
-Moonraker's bride (China, England)
-Tregaron's daughter (Cornwall, Kent, Italy)
-Golden urchin
Okay, so all of Madeleine Brent's books are a little to predictable and fairly cheesy...however, if you are looking for 1) a quick read; 2)a romantic historical adventure; 3)a spunky, female orphan protagonist...well, then, these are the books for you! Madeleine Brent is actually the pseudonom of male writer Peter O'Donnell (author of the Modesty Blaze books). I couldn't really tell you exactly why I like them but then we never really had to have a reason for liking Nancy Drew when we grew up, d...more
Katie Hutchison Irion
My good friend Julie Larsen clued me in to this author and I think I have now read all of hers. (Actually, Madeleine Brent is a pen name for Peter O'Donnel. I guess he was not so keen on writing some Gothic romance novel, which is how he started.) Anyway, this is my favorite of his/her books. I wouldn't mind owning a copy but they are all out of print. Just a well written story about a girl, a guy, the possibility of love in the Australian outback, and some bad guys. What could be better than th...more
Chelsea
Quite a fun book and I know it would have been one of my favorites had I read it in my youth. For now, it didn't quite grasp me as other books have. But it was still well written and a great plot idea..but had the major problem of not getting together with the romantic lead until the last 2 pages...That bugs me. But it was quite the fun, adventurous book...reminded me of Quigly Down Under, one of my fave movies growing up, but a lot classier. :) Ha ha.
Amy
I really enjoyed this book! I enjoyed watching Meg grow from an Aborigine into a well-mannered, bright young lady. I loved the language. By the end of the book, I was a bit exasperated and ready for something good to happen--how much turmoil can one young woman suffer?! What surprised me the most about this book was that Madeleine Brent is the pen name for a man! He's very in touch with his feminine side!
Malea
I loved the main character, Meg, Mitji, Red. I thought it was a very intriguing twist to have her grow up as an aborigine. She was fantastic. I liked how the 'bad guys' kept changing and revealing their true colors. That was quite a change of pace! I did not, however, enjoy the romance at all. This novel did not thrill me or particularly draw me in. I would say that overall, it was an okay book.
Michelle
Very formulaic, it takes place in the Australian Outback and ends in Africa. There were some interesting moments, but not as like-able as Moonraker's Bride, but better than Stormswift. I like Brent's heroine's and the books are always clean. It did keep my interest during a very long swim meet and the good guys win and the bad guys lose. Nice, undemanding summer read.
Christina Davis
Starting with the most unusual opening I've ever read, and right down to the most romantic and cheesy ending, I enjoyed this far fetched tale of a freckle-faced, red-headed aborigine running for her life. What can I say, I couldn't put it down. I completely escaped reality for the two days I was reading this fun novel. It was "candy" literature and I found it delicious.
Naomi
I love reading by this author and I've read Golden Urchin a few. I had read a review of this book that said the amount of things the main character goes through is exhausting and impossible. While she does go through an extensive amount of experiences, I don't think it's impossible. After all, truth is stranger then fiction. It's great adventure read!
Shanan
I found this book back in my teens in my HS Library. It hooked me on this Author and Gothic Romantic Suspense forever more. It was what took me from reading YA to Adult. Maybe it was even a brick in the path that brought me from the Mid West to marrying and living in Australia. By all means I recommend it, and it's a keeper for re-reading.
Diane Stringam Tolley
Madeleine Brent's heroines are always spectacular! This one is no exception. Kidnapped, then abandoned, and finally raised by aborigines in the outback of Australia, Meg is finally returned to civilization, only to discover that someone powerful wants her dead. Wonderful mystery. Wonderful characters. Madeleine Brent's book live!
Amanda
Another good book by Madeleine Brent. I have thoroughly enjoyed all the books I have read by her. This book, had a little mystery, comedy, romance of course, and she always has a lot of information on a different culture or place. It makes for really interesting books and I always have a hard time putting them down until I'm done.
Wendy
Though similar to "Moonraker's Bride", as the main character is an English girl orphan being raised in a different country, I thought this book was even better. The story line was less predictable and the main character wasn't as oblivious to certain clues about her life. Great story. I will have to try some more of Brent's books.
Mandy
This was read from a recommendation from forever ago, so I had no expectations. I really, really enjoyed it. It was a fairly quick read (I read it in about 4-5 hours) and just fun to read-especially after reading Mutant Message Down Under. I liked the character development, the morality in it, etc. Just a great book!
Claudia
Borrowed this from my sister-in-law in Virginia, and read entirely on my flights back to Oregon in one day. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Takes place in Australia and England about a young white girl raised by Aborigines and her return to her original roots. Entertaining. First Brent book I've read.
KiesysAngel
Loved this book. It always kept me interested as I followed the story of an Aborigine girl and her struggles to fit in and stay alive. It didn't end the way I expected, it turned out better than I expected. It gets better the closer to the end you get. I am so glad I read this, I really enjoyed it.
Angie
This was the last Madeleine Brent book written. I really like this story, but it isn't one of my favorites. I think Peter O'Donnell was tired of writing these books, and it tends to show a little bit.

I do recommend it- it's a fascinating look at frontier Australia and life with aborigines.
The girl on the cover 1 10 Mar 16, 2012 07:37PM
  • The Shivering Sands
  • Madam, Will You Talk?
  • Trade Wind
  • The Lion Triumphant (Daughters of England, #2)
  • Watch The Wall My Darling
  • Feathers In The Fire
  • The Lodger
  • Mr. Malcolm's List
  • Csardas
Madeleine Brent is a pseudonym used by Peter O'Donnell.

Peter O'Donnell was born on 11 April 1920 in Lewisham, London, England, UK. He was interested in writing as a child, and began writing professionally at the age of 16. During World War II he served in the Royal Signals Corps, and was stationed in Persia, Syria, Egypt, the Western Desert, Italy, and Greece. After the war, he worked as a comic s...more
More about Madeleine Brent...
Moonraker's Bride Tregaron's Daughter Merlin's Keep Stranger at Wildings The Long Masquerade