Start by marking “Dinosaur Tales” as Want to Read:
Dinosaur Tales

Dinosaur Tales

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  368 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
In his introduction to this collection of tales, one of the greatest fantasy writers of our time identifies dinosaurs as the inspiration for his chosen career. Here are all of Bradbury's dinosaur stories, old and new, under one volume. Includes: * "A Sound of Thunder"--The classic time-travel story of five men who take a trip back in time to hunt a dinosaur and end up chan ...more
Published April 1st 1996 by Barnes Noble Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Dinosaur Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinosaur Tales

Marvin
Dec 12, 2012 Marvin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autographed, fantasy
I took this odd little paperback and three other books with me to a Ray Bradbury autograph party in Los Angeles the year of 1984. Mr. Bradbury was in an especially jovial mood that night. He appeared to have recognized me, which was not strange considering I have been to several of his signings in the recent past, and asked how I was doing. We talked while he signed the books and when he got to Dinosaur Tales he exclaimed, "Great! You have my dinosaur book!" and then proceeded to draw a cartoon ...more
Jana Bianchi
Feb 21, 2016 Jana Bianchi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emprestados
Esse ano, além de continuar na força-tarefa de ler fantasias de autores nacionais iniciantes, resolvi também ler mais clássicos da fantasia e ficção científica.

Esse livro não estava nos meus planos - Ray Bradbury está na minha lista inicial de leituras pra 2016, mas com Fahrenheit 451 (como livro de ficção científica de Julho para o Grande Desafio do Culto Booktuber) - mas foi aquele tipo de livro que surgiu na minha frente e que acabei lendo por pura inércia.

Há uns meses, meu professor de desen
Davis
Oct 02, 2013 Davis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This quick read by Ray Bradbury has a few gems in it that make it worthwhile. I finished it in a day, and if you like dinosaurs, you won’t be disappointed.

But first, a few comments about the art. It’s pretty distracting, and hasn’t aged the best. Stout and Steranko’s work is still beautiful and striking, but the rest are quite obviously decades old. While Steranko’s art is probably my favorite in the book, he missed the obvious opportunity to actually draw a dinosaur, which the others did in al
Jerrod
Aug 21, 2008 Jerrod rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is among the first books I read as a child and it had a huge impact on me. Each story is fantastic and I highly recommend it for other children. There are some scary moments but nothing too intense. The beauty here is Bradbury's ability of storytelling. You can really tell he had fun with this one. Anyone who enjoyed the movie "Sound of Thunder" might like to read the original short story found here. Yes, the movie had some cheesy CGI F/X, but I thought it was fun, nonetheless, and my love ...more
Paul Eckert
I was obsessed with dinosaurs as a child, and even though that original fervor has dissipated, I'm still a sucker for anything that has the terrible lizards in it.

The best stories in this slim collection are "Besides A Dinosaur, Whatta Ya Wanna Be When You Grow Up?" and "A Sound of Thunder." The former captures the essence of dino-obsession that many pre-adolescent boys go through, while the latter is a short morality tale that uses dinosaurs as a didactic pawn. "A Sound of Thunder" didn't seem
Charles
Apr 28, 2010 Charles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
A lovely and charming book. It has "A Sound of Thunder" and "The Fog Horn," two of my favorite Bradbury stories outside of those set on other planets. There are two other stories, "Besides a Dinosaur, Whatta Ya Wanna Be When You Grow Up," a charming coming of age story, and "Tyrannosaurus Rex," about a guy who works in the movies creating "monsters." There are also a couple of poems.

In addition to the stories, the work is illustrated throughout with some "dino"-mite images. These are some of the
John Defrog
This is billed as a complete collection of Ray Bradbury’s short stories involving dinosaurs, but you should know that amounts to just four short stories and two poems, a couple of which were written just for this volume when it came out in 1983. That said, they do come illustrated by notable artists like Steranko, Moebius and Gahan Wilson, so the overall package is nice. Also, you get the classic story “The Fog Horn”, which was the basis for the film The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, and is also th ...more
Meran
[I actually gave this 4.5 stars.]

Containing art from many artist fitting well with each story presented here. Contains 4 short stories, 2 poems.

Entertaining, funny, touching -- so well written, it's a blessing to read them! New, inspiring writers should study the structure of these tales….

Besides a Dinosaur, what Do You Wanna Be When You Grow Up? - an orphaned young boy has decided what to be, a Tyrannosaurus Rex, she he grows up, His grandpa has to figure out how to change that course. as the b
Jeanne
Feb 16, 2009 Jeanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves Science Fiction, Dinosaurs, Time Traveling, Ray Bradbury, or a good Story
Recommended to Jeanne by: Kathy Simpson
I'm really excited I finally found this book. Kathy Simpson told me about the story the "Roar of Thunder" in fall of 2001 and I finally read it almost 8 years later. But, it was a really good story and it makes you think. That is what I like about Ray Bradbury.
In addition, the long poem titled "what if I said: The Dinosaur's Not Dead" was really good and funny. It was surprising, it almost seemed like something Shel Silverstein would write. But, it was really good.
Emily
First story is about a kid who vows to be a dinosaur when he grows up - and then begins transforming into one overnight. Creepily cool.

Also a Most Dangerous Game-esque story.
Audrey Hacker
So cute! i love dinosaurs and i love these stories! anyone who love dinosaur's will love this!
Aric
Jun 25, 2011 Aric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of charm and well... dinosaurs! Let your inner little-boy out and read this some time.
Nina
Jun 15, 2008 Nina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though they are short stories, I really liked them all, especially "A Sound of Thunder".
Chris
Feb 03, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bradbury's books often make me feel like a kid again; this volume is no exception.
Sue
Dec 20, 2010 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another of my favorite books when I was a kid...
Stephen Rosenberg
I burned through this one. How do you go wrong with Ray Bradbury and stories about dinosaurs? Absolutely love this book. It's a quick read, got some great stories and illustrations and a wonderful forward from Ray Harryhausen. It reminded me a lot of The Illustrated Man, another one of my Bradbury favorites. I totally recommend to any of my science fiction loving friends out there.
RH Webster
Apr 18, 2016 RH Webster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A most incredible collection of short stories from the master of science fiction himself. I highly recommend this anthology to anyone who loves dinosaurs, to anyone who loves Ray Bradbury, and to anyone who loves to read.
Caroline Alabama
Not Bradbury at his best, but fun enough to read. My favourite story was The Fog Horn, where a dinosaur seeks the company of a lighthouse after millions of years of solitude in the deeps of the ocean.
Sara
Jan 19, 2015 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a slim volume of Ray Bradbury stories themed around...you guessed it dinosaurs!. While this was only average Ray Bradbury, my feeling is that average Ray Bradbury is still better than the best some other authors can manage. Ray Bradbury(like his descendent Neil Gaiman speaks eloquently about the power of books and the imagination.
Jason
Jul 05, 2015 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely collection of poetry and short stories by the esteemed Ray Bradbury. This is a great read to go along with watching dinosaur movies like Jurassic World.
Mark Oppenlander
This is another odd compilation. It contains a few of Bradbury's most famous stories ("The Fog Horn," "A Sound of Thunder") coupled with a couple of new stories and poems, all centered around the theme of dinosaurs.

Each story is illustrated by a different contemporary artist, making the book an eclectic jumble of styles. Some of the illustrations were fun and added value to the pieces they accompanied. Others did not.

Nor are the new stories and poems as good as the older ones collected here. How
Katrina
Jun 02, 2012 Katrina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Fog Horn is really the only worthwhile story in this collection. I'm probably committing some sort of sci-fi blasphemy by saying this about Ray Bradbury, but the quality of the writing otherwise just isn't good. The dialogue is stilted, the conclusions forced, and the characters flat. The Fog Horn breaks out of this to some extent with a deeper, subdued glimpse of a lost prehistoric beast who rises out of the sea to echo the lighthouse's mournful call. As for the rest--it's strange that the ...more
Christine
2015 Challenge: Short Stories
Ellen Brockelsby
Well, maybe 3 and a half, but not quite 4. I am a die-hard Bradbury fan, even teach him in my class every year. So I spotted this in the library yesterday and had a quick read this morning. Very quick read, very easy read, but classic Bradbury on a new topic, from him, that I had not read before. Am thinking of using "Fog Horn" in my class to c/c with "3 Skeleton Key"!
QS
This might have been 5 stars, but my god I hate Bradbury's poetry. On the other hand, it does have my favorite of his stories in it, so that almost makes up for the two poems. Unfortunately, I didn't like two of the other stories enough to change my rating. Oh well.
Christian D.  Orr
I read this book shortly after my 12th birthday back in 1987, and I really dug it, as it combined two of my favorite subjects at the time: Ray Bradbury's sci-fo stories, and dinosaurs. The ode to daning dinosaurs in particular was a delightful, light-hearted romp.
Hudak
Feb 16, 2009 Hudak rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I basically read this because I took it from the comic store for free and Chaz said one of the shorts was good. I enjoyed the second story and the fourth a bunch, the rest was just kinda eh. If you ever stumble across it, I'd suggest reading the aforementioned.
Devero
Jan 05, 2014 Devero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cinque racconti con un solo filo conduttore: i dinosauri. Cinque buoni racconti, tra l'altro, illustrati da cinque disegnatori tra cui spicca Jim Steranko.
Se avete un paio d'ore vuote e vi piaccioni i dinosauri e la fantascienza, questa è la lettura che fa per voi.
Frank Taranto
An interesting collection of short stories and art illustrating the stories. Except for The Fog Horn, most of the stories in this collection are only good. The Fog Horn is a great and sad story about the last living member of a species of dinosaur.
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
A hunter gets the ultimate opportunity to time travel and shoot a dinosaur - with unexpected consequences

2015 Reading Chal...: Dinosaur Tales by Ray Bradbury 6 25 Feb 02, 2015 12:05AM
  • Eyes Like Sky and Coal and Moonlight
  • Paingod and Other Delusions
  • Mouse Guard: Baldwin the Brave and Other Tales
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fifteenth Annual Collection
  • Vampires
  • Footprints of Thunder
  • The Ribbajack: and Other Haunting Tales
  • Tales from Outer Lands (Mangoverse, #0.5)
  • Getting to Know You
  • Mara und der Feuerbringer (Mara und der Feuerbringer, #1)
  • Tall Stories:  Expecting Someone Taller and Ye Gods
  • Devil Dinosaur
  • Made of Stone
  • Before and Afterlives
  • A Midnight Clear: Family Christmas Stories
  • The Science of Jurassic Park and the Lost World, Or, How to Build a Dinosaur
  • The Fate of Mice
  • The World of Kong: A Natural History of Skull Island
American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He bec ...more
More about Ray Bradbury...