Start by marking “Dinosaur Tales” as Want to Read:
Dinosaur Tales

Dinosaur Tales

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  301 ratings  ·  30 reviews
In his introduction to this collection of tales, one of the greatest fantasy writers of our time identifies dinosaurs as the inspiration for his chosen career. Here are all of Bradbury's dinosaur stories, old and new, under one volume. Includes: * "A Sound of Thunder"--The classic time-travel story of five men who take a trip back in time to hunt a dinosaur and end up chan ...more
Published April 1st 1996 by Barnes Noble Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Dinosaur Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinosaur Tales

Marvin
I took this odd little paperback and three other books with me to a Ray Bradbury autograph party in Los Angeles the year of 1984. Mr. Bradbury was in an especially jovial mood that night. He appeared to have recognized me, which was not strange considering I have been to several of his signings in the recent past, and asked how I was doing. We talked while he signed the books and when he got to Dinosaur Tales he exclaimed, "Great! You have my dinosaur book!" and then proceeded to draw a cartoon ...more
Davis
This quick read by Ray Bradbury has a few gems in it that make it worthwhile. I finished it in a day, and if you like dinosaurs, you won’t be disappointed.

But first, a few comments about the art. It’s pretty distracting, and hasn’t aged the best. Stout and Steranko’s work is still beautiful and striking, but the rest are quite obviously decades old. While Steranko’s art is probably my favorite in the book, he missed the obvious opportunity to actually draw a dinosaur, which the others did in al
Jerrod
This is among the first books I read as a child and it had a huge impact on me. Each story is fantastic and I highly recommend it for other children. There are some scary moments but nothing too intense. The beauty here is Bradbury's ability of storytelling. You can really tell he had fun with this one. Anyone who enjoyed the movie "Sound of Thunder" might like to read the original short story found here. Yes, the movie had some cheesy CGI F/X, but I thought it was fun, nonetheless, and my love ...more
Charles
A lovely and charming book. It has "A Sound of Thunder" and "The Fog Horn," two of my favorite Bradbury stories outside of those set on other planets. There are two other stories, "Besides a Dinosaur, Whatta Ya Wanna Be When You Grow Up," a charming coming of age story, and "Tyrannosaurus Rex," about a guy who works in the movies creating "monsters." There are also a couple of poems.

In addition to the stories, the work is illustrated throughout with some "dino"-mite images. These are some of the
Paul Eckert
I was obsessed with dinosaurs as a child, and even though that original fervor has dissipated, I'm still a sucker for anything that has the terrible lizards in it.

The best stories in this slim collection are "Besides A Dinosaur, Whatta Ya Wanna Be When You Grow Up?" and "A Sound of Thunder." The former captures the essence of dino-obsession that many pre-adolescent boys go through, while the latter is a short morality tale that uses dinosaurs as a didactic pawn. "A Sound of Thunder" didn't seem
Meran
[I actually gave this 4.5 stars.]

Containing art from many artist fitting well with each story presented here. Contains 4 short stories, 2 poems.

Entertaining, funny, touching -- so well written, it's a blessing to read them! New, inspiring writers should study the structure of these tales….

Besides a Dinosaur, what Do You Wanna Be When You Grow Up? - an orphaned young boy has decided what to be, a Tyrannosaurus Rex, she he grows up, His grandpa has to figure out how to change that course. as the b
Jeanne
Feb 16, 2009 Jeanne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves Science Fiction, Dinosaurs, Time Traveling, Ray Bradbury, or a good Story
Recommended to Jeanne by: Kathy Simpson
I'm really excited I finally found this book. Kathy Simpson told me about the story the "Roar of Thunder" in fall of 2001 and I finally read it almost 8 years later. But, it was a really good story and it makes you think. That is what I like about Ray Bradbury.
In addition, the long poem titled "what if I said: The Dinosaur's Not Dead" was really good and funny. It was surprising, it almost seemed like something Shel Silverstein would write. But, it was really good.
Emily
First story is about a kid who vows to be a dinosaur when he grows up - and then begins transforming into one overnight. Creepily cool.

Also a Most Dangerous Game-esque story.
Audrey
So cute! i love dinosaurs and i love these stories! anyone who love dinosaur's will love this!
Aric
Full of charm and well... dinosaurs! Let your inner little-boy out and read this some time.
Nina
Even though they are short stories, I really liked them all, especially "A Sound of Thunder".
Chris
Bradbury's books often make me feel like a kid again; this volume is no exception.
Sue
Another of my favorite books when I was a kid...
Caroline Alabama
Not Bradbury at his best, but fun enough to read. My favourite story was The Fog Horn, where a dinosaur seeks the company of a lighthouse after millions of years of solitude in the deeps of the ocean.
Sara
This is a slim volume of Ray Bradbury stories themed around...you guessed it dinosaurs!. While this was only average Ray Bradbury, my feeling is that average Ray Bradbury is still better than the best some other authors can manage. Ray Bradbury(like his descendent Neil Gaiman speaks eloquently about the power of books and the imagination.
Mark Oppenlander
This is another odd compilation. It contains a few of Bradbury's most famous stories ("The Fog Horn," "A Sound of Thunder") coupled with a couple of new stories and poems, all centered around the theme of dinosaurs.

Each story is illustrated by a different contemporary artist, making the book an eclectic jumble of styles. Some of the illustrations were fun and added value to the pieces they accompanied. Others did not.

Nor are the new stories and poems as good as the older ones collected here. How
Katrina
The Fog Horn is really the only worthwhile story in this collection. I'm probably committing some sort of sci-fi blasphemy by saying this about Ray Bradbury, but the quality of the writing otherwise just isn't good. The dialogue is stilted, the conclusions forced, and the characters flat. The Fog Horn breaks out of this to some extent with a deeper, subdued glimpse of a lost prehistoric beast who rises out of the sea to echo the lighthouse's mournful call. As for the rest--it's strange that the ...more
Ellen Brockelsby
Well, maybe 3 and a half, but not quite 4. I am a die-hard Bradbury fan, even teach him in my class every year. So I spotted this in the library yesterday and had a quick read this morning. Very quick read, very easy read, but classic Bradbury on a new topic, from him, that I had not read before. Am thinking of using "Fog Horn" in my class to c/c with "3 Skeleton Key"!
Christian Orr
I read this book shortly after my 12th birthday back in 1987, and I really dug it, as it combined two of my favorite subjects at the time: Ray Bradbury's sci-fo stories, and dinosaurs. The ode to daning dinosaurs in particular was a delightful, light-hearted romp.
Hudak
I basically read this because I took it from the comic store for free and Chaz said one of the shorts was good. I enjoyed the second story and the fourth a bunch, the rest was just kinda eh. If you ever stumble across it, I'd suggest reading the aforementioned.
Devero
Cinque racconti con un solo filo conduttore: i dinosauri. Cinque buoni racconti, tra l'altro, illustrati da cinque disegnatori tra cui spicca Jim Steranko.
Se avete un paio d'ore vuote e vi piaccioni i dinosauri e la fantascienza, questa è la lettura che fa per voi.
Frank Taranto
An interesting collection of short stories and art illustrating the stories. Except for The Fog Horn, most of the stories in this collection are only good. The Fog Horn is a great and sad story about the last living member of a species of dinosaur.
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
A hunter gets the ultimate opportunity to time travel and shoot a dinosaur - with unexpected consequences

Spencerdino
Donald
Not a graphic novel by any stretch, this wonderfully illustrated series of mostly amusing short stories and poems is a light diversion. If you have an extra hour, savour these gems.
Brendan Howard
Aug 08, 2011 Brendan Howard rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of dinosaurs, dinosaur stories, Ray Bradbury, science fiction, and 1950s nostalgia
You can forget how amazing dinosaurs are. But Ray will bring it back to you. The poems I'm not so hot on, but the stories? Yeah. Good stuff.
Tony DiTerlizzi
Annie
I just couldn't with this one. I wanted to like it but I thought the stories were predictable and kind of boring.
Melissa
If I could I would give it 3.5 stars. I enjoyed the stories, some more is then others but all still good.
Alan
In English language,Inglise keeles,fiction,short stories,science fiction,sci-fi
2015 Reading Chal...: Dinosaur Tales by Ray Bradbury 6 21 Feb 02, 2015 12:05AM
  • Eyes Like Sky and Coal and Moonlight
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fifteenth Annual Collection
  • The Science of Jurassic Park and the Lost World, Or, How to Build a Dinosaur
  • Footprints of Thunder
  • The Ribbajack: and Other Haunting Tales
  • Snows of Darkover (Darkover Series)
  • Tall Stories:  Expecting Someone Taller and Ye Gods
  • The Fate of Mice
  • Rachel Rising, Volume 4: Winter Graves
  • A Midnight Clear: Family Christmas Stories
  • X/1999, Volume 17: Suite
  • The Dreamstone (Arafel, #1)
  • Chew: The Omnivore Edition, Vol. 3
  • Hell to Pay
American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He bec ...more
More about Ray Bradbury...
Fahrenheit 451 The Martian Chronicles Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town, #2) The Illustrated Man Dandelion Wine (Green Town, #1)