Start by marking “My Love, My Love, Or, the Peasant Girl” as Want to Read:
My Love, My Love, Or, the Peasant Girl

My Love, My Love, Or, the Peasant Girl

Rosa Guy's tropical retelling of "The Little Mermaid" is the gorgeous, tragic love story of Dsire, a beautiful peasant girl who devotes herself to the handsome, aristocratic young man whose life she has saved. When his upper-class fami-ly feels that Dsire's skin is too dark and her family too poor for a boy destined for power and wealth, Dsire proves that she is willing to

Unknown Binding, 119 pages
Published January 1st 1985 by Holt McDougal

To ask other readers questions about My Love, My Love, Or, the Peasant Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Love, My Love, Or, the Peasant Girl

Jessica
Sep 14, 2011 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was okay. It was really slow going and at the end I felt that it was all just shoved into your face. I got it for my birthday about one maybe two years ago because I had seen the play Once on This Island that it was based on. It was a disappointment at the end after seeing the play. Overall if you're looking for a fun read, I wouldn't suggest this one.
Jenelle
Aug 03, 2010 Jenelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-before-18
Trinidadian author's re-telling of The Little Mermaid with post-colonial island racial theme, more magic & tragic for having a real context. read this on the boat, part of my integrated studies, along with mapping out a small island off the coast of Trinidad. loved the voodoo, love a fairy tale, didn't know a thing about love & heartache.
Brooke
Feb 27, 2010 Brooke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was extremely sad!! Gosh, I knew it was gonna be sad, but I didnt know it was gonna end that sadly! I wish it had ended happily, but that would be my first book that I have ever read that didn't have a happy ending. I didn't cry at the end, but, for people who have strong emotions and cry easily, I would suggest a box of tissues.
Julia
May 02, 2008 Julia rated it it was ok
Recommended to Julia by: Susie White
Shelves: new-perspectives
I loved her description of the ocean in this book, being an ocean-lover myself, but didn't love how it ended. Sorry, I like a happy ending.
Jessa
Feb 23, 2008 Jessa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub-books
I'm not sure how I felt about this book. It's a version of the little mermaid so it was a very tragic ending and yes, I do like happy endings!
Leah
Jul 06, 2008 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This beautifully-written story is an interesting modern rendition of Hans Christian Anderson's "The Little Mermaid" and compared together, bring about important comparisons. They share the same main ideas, yet the distinct difference that help emphasize the different themes expressed by both stories.

In My Love, My Love, the teenaged dreamer here is named Desiree Dieu-Donne, an island Ti Moune (or orphan) who, while without parents, is raised by her affectionate adoptive parents, Tonton Julian an
Charlene
Mar 31, 2013 Charlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novella is a lush, lyrical read that captures the heartrending emotion of Hans Christian Anderson's "The Little Mermaid". It reads like a fable, with it's very descriptive and evocative prose, and with the heartfelt and innocent longings of Désirée or Ti Moune as she is also called. Her family discovered her orphaned after a storm, and raised her as one of their own, and although she works hard and loves her family, when Ti Moune hears Daniel Beauxhomme's car crash near her village, she fal ...more
Sherry
I read this book as a major part of my research to direct the Broadway Musical, Once On this Island. It is the book on which the musical is based. The story is of Desire', a peasant girl who discovers an accident victim on the road near her village. He is a young prince, Daniel, a Beaux Homme. She nurses him back from the dead and follows him when his family returns him to the other side of the island. She falls deeply in love and willingly gives her entire self to nurse him to complete recovery ...more
Johnny
Oct 10, 2011 Johnny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great Caribbean retelling of The Little Mermaid (the original version by Hans Christian Andersen). Guy is a wonderfully talented author based on the gorgeous prose of this short novel, and while the reading level is certainly well above my first and second grade children, they both stayed focused and enjoyed the story. (It helps that they know the Broadway musical, Once On This Island, which is loosely based on this book.)
Nicole
Sep 24, 2016 Nicole rated it really liked it
I picked this up because of Once on this Island and it must be said that Lynn Ahrens is an author's lyricist; she frequently uses verbatim text and though I don't know which of the pair picks sources, they have a real gift for finding books that are already musical both literally (songs are sung, dances are danced in the book itself) and more figuratively: you can feel what moments will be musicalised.

This is lovely little fairy tale, The Little Mermaid but with a central character that is more
Verkizen
So this walks a fine line between contemporary and fantasy, but I decided to put it here and call it a contemporary with a dash of magical realism. It's a retelling of the Little Mermaid (the Hans Christian Andersen, not the Disney) and it's set on a tropical island. The main character is Desiree, a peasant girl who saves the life of an aristocratic young man after a car accident. Desiree nurses him back to life, although his father comes and takes him away before he awakes. Desiree believes the ...more
Mely
A bitter fairy tale about a young black peasant girl who falls in love with the light-skinned son of a rich man on a Caribbean island, this is the basis of the musical Once on This Island, which softened the story considerably by adding a metafictional frame. Guy's eye on the prices exacted by colorism and classism is much colder. All the orphans of this island, Guy says, are called Ti-Moune, and so the peasant girl is named by her foster parents and the various helpers she finds on her journey; ...more
Eva Nieves
I read this for purposes of my English class. This is a retelling of The Little Mermaid... and I hate it!!!! There were some emotional parts that got over me and wanted to stab this girl because she falls in love with this white guy from the city and without talking to him she decides to do a lot of crazy stuff for him when he couldn't even talk to her cause he got an accident and she takes care of him. I know this is literature and you have to see between the lines but still I couldn't help it. ...more
Arrianna
Mar 18, 2011 Arrianna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story "My love, My love: or The Peasent Girl, is a conflicting story that leaves the reader with a feeling of sorrow. It is told from the perspective of a peasant girl named Desiree, who falls in love with a wealthy mulatto boy named Daniel. Desiree travels miles by foot inorder to reunite with him. Unfortunately a love like Desiree's and Daniels is not a possibilty in this lifetime. I admire the perseverance and determination Desiree displays, however the ending would make one believe it w ...more
J.M. Duross
May 29, 2013 J.M. Duross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was in the musical "Once On This Island" - that's based on this book - in high school, and it's my favorite musical to date, so I was really excited to read it. It was very engaging. It was a bit difficult coming to terms with the fact that the main character's name was Desiree, instead of the more familiar Ti Moune. The ending of the book was absolutely tragic and I am not ashamed to admit that I bawled my heart out. Thanks the gods that the musical had a happier ending, because the author SO ...more
Candelaria Silva
Breezy fable set in Antigua, based on "The Little Mermaid." Explores the class chasm along skin-color lines endemic to cultures across the African diaspora. I loved this line:
"They know how deep the love of peasant and patron run. How strong the bonds that bind them. But hatred runs deeper. We peasants hate them because they reject our blackness. They hate us because we remind them of theirs..." That explains it.
Robert Joseph
Sep 10, 2014 Robert Joseph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought the story was BEAUTIFULLY written! I could almost hear the ocean and smell the citrus I the air as I read it. Just one quick note for some, lest ye read it and it disappointeth thee, this is a retelling of the ORIGINAL Little Mermaid fairy tale, not the animated Disney musical.

There is some criticism on this site about the abruptness of the ending but I didn't feel that way at all. I felt like the story resolved and there was nothing more to tell.
Rodney
Jan 12, 2015 Rodney rated it liked it
It was decent. I read it because I was part of a high school production of "Once on this Island," and figured I'd check out the source material (having never done it back then...). Most of it was in line with the musical, and the minor differences didn't do much to alter my perception of the story. My only concern about the book is the ending is rather abrupt, relative to how the musical ends, which is only an issue because I read the musical first.
Lee
Oct 31, 2010 Lee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is supposedly another version of The Little Mermaid story - although not set in the sea but on an island of African Americans. The story is a little bizarre and does not have a happily ever after ending - in fact a very sad ending. However, in the end it shows that you need to know who you are and seek to live your life to the best of your ability. I think also that you should not wish for things not the best for you and perhaps even a little of listen to the "gods."
Loryn Tindall
Oct 25, 2016 Loryn Tindall rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an island retelling of the little mermaid, or at least it was supposed to be. There was a lot of detail, and it was really easy to get lost, as well as so many religious aspects that I could not tell if the main character was actually having a religious moment or if she was losing her mind. I'm not sure I would recommend anyone read this book.
Maria
Sep 11, 2011 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
randomly picked this up, the subtitle states “a lush Caribbean retelling of the Little Mermaid”. it's good. I loved the colloquial use of spanish and french (picked up a few words), the evocative descriptions of places and people. Beautiful, tragic tale with an undercurrent theme of fate and destiny.
Melissa
I love the Little Mermaid. And I loved that this book was a feminist retelling of the story, without the over-the-topness of the politically correct fairy tales.

Christmas of 2004, and I start reading as many books from the approved BC Ministry of Education book list as I can ... preparing for my final Women's Studies course.
Frances
A retelling of The Little Mermaid. Desiree saves a rich young man from a car accident and nurses him back to health. She later tracks him down at a mansion in the mountains and nurses him again, and they fall in love, but from there it's all downhill for Desiree. Strong writing and a unique tone and feel.
Danielle
Feb 07, 2008 Danielle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Barry Kriebel
Nov 23, 2011 Barry Kriebel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The basis for the musical "Once On This Island." do yourself a favor, play the recording as you read the book. The rhythms of the music and the joy and pain in the text is truly brought to life in innovative and a fresh way.
Rebecca
It wasn't a bad read. I didn't feel the need to put it down. Her fortitude resulted in martyrdom. Her naivete was not refreshing but frustrating. I was disappointed in the outcome. And if it were meant to be tragic than it should have evoked more sympathy.
Shannon
I read this book because I was in the musical it was based off of. I actually quite prefer this ending to the happy-tree ending of Once on This Island. This book is heart wrenching and beautifully written.
Bryce
Dec 20, 2010 Bryce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An adaptation of Hans Christian Anderson's The Little Mermaid, this novella follows Desiree, a peasant girl on her doomed quest to keep the heart of a "prince" of the island. Perhaps I am a realist or simply jaded, but My Love, My Love failed to enchant me.

Heather
I read this because I am in the show that's based on it. It's pretty good, but all the same when I finished it I wondered why I had just spent a couple hours reading it. The ending is so sad, it makes the whole book kinda pointless....
Mrs.
Dec 21, 2013 Mrs. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The SJP Phoenix Players put on a wonderful production of the musical, "Once on This Island" which is based on Rosa Guy's novel.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Wild Swans (Faerie Tale)
  • Historical Atlas of World Mythology 1: The Way of the Animal Powers
  • The Frog King, or Iron Heinrich
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Presents: Neverland
  • Sita's Ramayana
  • Aïda
Rosa Cuthbert Guy was an American writer.

Rosa Guy was raised in the USA from the age of seven and now lives in New York. She immigrated to Harlem, New York in 1932. Soon after, her parents, Henry and Audrey Cuthbert, died. After, she and her sister went to many foster homes. She quit school at age fourteen and took a job to help support her family.

During World War II she joined the American Negro