Start by marking “Buddha at Bedtime: Tales of Love and Wisdom for You to Read with Your Child to Enchant, Enlighten and Inspire” as Want to Read:

Many of today’s children face challenges and obstacles far beyond what their parents ever imagined. These 20 thoroughly modern retellings of ancient Buddhist tales give parents a fun, low-pressure way to impart wisdom and moral guidance without preaching. Each story highlights a moral or ethical dilemma that echoes those that children face in their own lives, providing ins ...more
Published May 6th 2008 by Duncan Baird

To ask other readers questions about Buddha at Bedtime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buddha at Bedtime

Viv JM
Mar 24, 2016 Viv JM rated it it was amazing
I cannot begin to describe how much I love this book! I bought it to help my two homeschooled boys (aged 11 and 6) to learn about Buddhism, but hadn't anticipated that they would ask nearly every evening if we can do "buddha" tonight please mum? There is a nice section on relaxation for kids, as well as three different guided meditations, and an explanation of Buddhism and its relevance today. Then there are the stories, which are based on the traditional Jataka tales, and are beautifully told - ...more
Mar 14, 2015 Jessi rated it it was amazing
LOVE THIS!!!! Great little short stories with morals. My kids 4, 6, and 9 ALL loved this book. Bright beautiful illustrations, great story length with life lessons that are clear to children. Not a bad tale in the whole book.
Nov 26, 2010 Malwina rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism, for-kids
Nice collection of tales based on the Jataka stories. I recommend it to all parents who want their children to understand what compassion and friendship mean. Moreover, you don't need to be a Buddhist to tell these stories to your kids, as they discuss moral standards shared by all religions. What I really liked was the section on secular meditation for children and a short intro on Buddhist values for parents.
Aug 22, 2015 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
This is a delightful book! Although aimed at children, this book is also fun for adults that are interested in some of the concepts of buddhism. Each story is retold though modern language/perspective and is about 5 pages long. At the conclusion of the story is a moral lessen to think on. Fun and thought provoking for all ages.
Courtney Denning
Jan 03, 2016 Courtney Denning rated it it was amazing
Buddha at Bedtime is a great book - the stories remind me of fables I used to read as a kid. The illustrations are great too! I like to include the book in my children's yoga class for storytime, the stories are short and only take about 5 to 7 minutes to read. I try to match the theme of the story to the theme of my class along with a short discussion of the moral of the story.

While the intro of the book does go into some detail about Buddhism, I consider the book to be appropriate for children
Jan 08, 2011 Misty rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book of stories for children. I love this book as much as if not more than my kids do!
Nov 09, 2014 Dorota rated it it was amazing
Absolutely great book for kids!!! I read it to mine very often and they love it. It's a collection of stories. Each story starts with the words "Relax, be very still and listen..." and my kids, who are usually full of energy, do just that. I tell them to close their eyes and take a deep breath and imagine the story. Each story ends with a lesson or a thought (about kindness, compassion, patience, perseverance etc) that's easy for kids to understand and is also a great topic for discussion.
May 04, 2015 Sue rated it it was amazing
These stories are amazing. My kids and I loved the beautiful, brightly coloured pictures, the short, well written stories of love and compassion and especially the morals. Will hang on to this book and cherish it for years. May even save it for the grand kids. :D
Aug 30, 2014 Emilie rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing alternative to Christian bible stories. Clear moral lessons with beautiful illustrations. And I LOVE the guided meditation and relaxation exercises for kids in the back. Teaching values of love, sharing and abundance. Highly recommend.
Feb 08, 2013 Tara rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, parenting, buddhism
This is a lovely book - wonderfully colourful illustrations, clear well-laid out text and beautifully written stories. Initially, I bought this book to read with my two year old and thought my 7 year old might like some of the stories. However, the author says the book is suitable for 6-10 year olds and I would agree. I have spent the last three nights cuddled up with my 7 and 9 year old reading them a relaxation exercise (in between loads of giggles) and then the story. After the first night th ...more
Aug 07, 2016 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Great parables for all ages and walks of faith/world views. The charming illustrations should appeal to all ages, and certainly help younger readers digest the tales. Would recommend to anyone looking for a unique option for bedtime stories.
Dec 09, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
This is a great introduction to Buddhist myths and moral fables. My son and I enjoyed reading them together every night. It has beautiful illustrations and the stories aren't too long. It's one we will be returning to again and again.
Sep 14, 2014 Madhu rated it it was amazing
Amazing! Fun and educational stories about kindness and making good choices. My 10 year old still enjoys reading this book together.
Dec 18, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite, ya, buddhism, animal
Starting with a quick introduction to Buddhism, this moves onto the animal tales, not unlike Aesop's fables.
Apr 22, 2015 Melody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book begins with background information on Buddhism and helpful notes as to how to go about reading the stories with your child.

It is beautifully illustrated and contains many stories with lessons about peace, compassion and mildfulness.

My favourite is Two Ducks And A Turtle; it is a short and simple tale about thinking before you speak.

There is also a helpful section near the end with help on meditation.

I would recommend this book to anyone with children or an interest in Buddhism as the
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Jun 18, 2015 Claire (Book Blog Bird) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
My kids and I love this book. It's a collection of short stories, well written with excellent characters and a not-too-preachy moral at the end. Each story has a little Buddha quote at the end that's relevant to the story as well.

As well as the stories there are some guided meditations and relaxation exercises that are perfect for bedtime with younger children.

Especially recommended if you're trying to introduce your child to world religions as it can spark off lots of interesting conversations
Stephen Heverin
May 03, 2015 Stephen Heverin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amelia
This is a great collections of stories, perfect for bedtime. I also like all of the added detail around the source of the stories, Buddhism, and additional techniques on mediation that you can take with your child. The stories are well written and in a style to engage the child. I started reading them to my daughter last night and she wanted more.

The illustrations throughout the book are very well done and beautiful. There are stories to teach simple lessons to young and old.
Read this to my 6 year old niece this weekend. I'm not sure if its the illustrations or the short stories that she liked more, but she went to bed with it tucked under her arm and carried it around the house so we could squeeze in a story whenever we could. At the end of each short story there is a short paragraph on the lesson to be learned from the story. Cute chapter titles and fun engrossing stories. You certainly do not have to be Buddhist to appreciate these stories.
Dec 08, 2015 AJ rated it liked it
Great stories, but the illustrations were a little whitewashed for a book about Buddhism, which originated in India.
Stephanie Grassie
Dec 30, 2013 Stephanie Grassie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: child
I absolutely love this book! First of all, you do not have to be Buddhist to read and appreciate this book. The short stories are not religious but rather they teach lessons and morals that transcend any religion. The stories are magical and engaging. My niece (7) loves this book and requests it often. I am always ecstatic to read it to her.
Melissa Paduano
Jun 11, 2014 Melissa Paduano rated it it was amazing
We are so sad to finish this book!! So many great things about this book...the length of the stories was perfect for bedtime, wonderful descriptive language, not too many pictures, a personal favorite of my daughters was the "cloud thoughts" at the end of each story which lead to thoughtful conversations. We also love the meditations at the end of book; our favorite it the Rainbow Meditation. My four year old is already asking to re-read it!
May 02, 2016 Thuy rated it it was amazing
so many good lessons, and its great that the pictures are unneeded to listen and follow the story, so its a true bedtime story, where the kid can actually relax and rest his or her eyes.
Mar 29, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Read these short stories to my boys each night before bed. The book is wonderfully illustrated, the stories are easy for all ages to understand and comprehend the morals being taught. They are engaging enough to keep their attention. It was a peaceful way to end the night each night with the kids. There are also some family activities for meditation, etc. that the boys got a kick out of.
May 16, 2016 Angie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juv-non-fiction
Beautiful pictures
Kate Nitti
Oct 04, 2012 Kate Nitti rated it it was amazing
We aren't Buddhist and you don't have to be, either. This is THE greatest book for kids. I love love love this book, and have given it to friends as gifts. I've also been asked by teachers if they could borrow it to read certain ones to the class. So great to read as a bedtime story because they are many short stories, so you cann read one or two a night.
A collection of Buddhist tales aimed at kids and beautifully illustrated. Mark has been reading them to me at night to help me focus, destress and sleep. It has a great section that is an intro to the practice and some guided meditations. I'm not usually big on this, but this book is amazing. Wonderful lessons and a wonderful medium.
Nov 25, 2012 Meredith rated it it was amazing
I read this book to my 7 year old daughter. Every night she reads to me and after I would read her one story from Buddha at Bedtime. Every story has a great lesson in it which we discuss after reading the story. We have finished all of the stories and she wants to start at the beginning again because she loves them so much.
Oct 18, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing
Instead of reading these at bedtime, I read them to my son each morning before he left for school. It gave him a chance to wake up easy and a nice story to carry with him throughout the day. The stories themselves are short and simple and there is a moral at the end. His favorite story was The Dirty Old Goblet.
Mar 16, 2009 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, favorites
This is a wonderful book full of stories that help teach the basic Buddhist principles to children. The short stories are filled with examples of compassion and patience. The author also included basic instructions for teaching children the art of meditation. The artwork throughout is vivid and whimsical.
Amy Boogie King
Jan 29, 2013 Amy Boogie King rated it it was amazing
I can't believe how much my kids (7 and 12) love this book. It's all just parables. Small stories of learning. The stories spans across all religions and in no religions. I grew up agnostic and I remember many of these stories from little books that we would read.
  • I Once Was a Monkey: Stories Buddha Told
  • Peaceful Piggy Meditation
  • Anh's Anger
  • A Pebble for Your Pocket
  • Zen Ties
  • Mindful Movements: Mindfulness Exercises Developed by Thich Nhat Hanh and the Plum Village Sangha
  • All I See is Part of Me
  • Twenty Jataka Tales
  • Incredible You!: 10 Ways to Let Your Greatness Shine Through
  • Seven Times the Sun: Guiding Your Child Through the Rhythms of the Day
  • Finding Inner Courage
  • The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate
  • Celebrating the Great Mother: A Handbook of Earth-Honoring Activities for Parents and Children