Start by marking “Procedures For Underground” as Want to Read:
Procedures For Underground

Procedures For Underground

Published December 31st 1970 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Procedures For Underground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Procedures For Underground

Sebastian
Sep 27, 2012 Sebastian rated it really liked it
"This is before electricity,
it is when there were porches."

I think the best thing about Atwood as a poet is the writing seems to be without expectation, no over-exerting of the text to meet the standards of her well regarded and established reputation. There is no self-consciousness and, therefore, a greater purity in the images, raw and honest. Atwood has always played with forms and punctuation, but this collection in particular seems to experiment with line breaks and narrative to better high
Allie
Mar 19, 2015 Allie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, place-canada
3.5 stars, but why not round up?

This was a really lovely collection to read because it feels very late winter/early spring to me. There were a number of poems that I skipped over or skimmed, but the ones that stuck with me really stuck.

And I think all the Atwood poetry I've been reading has officially pushed her to being my most read author. Step aside, Lemony Snickett!
Alexa
Mar 07, 2015 Alexa rated it liked it
Shelves: fab-15
This Margaret Atwood poetry collection was easier for me to connect with than some of her earlier work. There are some beautiful little gems in here. It gave me a great deal of pleasure and several ah-ha moments.
Kayla koontz
Aug 24, 2015 Kayla koontz rated it liked it
Certain pieces in here are stunners and others I didn't feel connected to. Atwood sets a beautiful scene that will leave you daydreamy like a long car ride in the summer. My favorites were: Stories in Kinsman's Park, A Morning, A Dialogue, Eden is a Zoo, and Dancing Practice.
Mariana
May 20, 2011 Mariana rated it liked it
This Margaret Atwood first book. The poems get better and better. I plan to read all of her books that I can find. I can learn much from her.

Jim Stark
Feb 01, 2016 Jim Stark rated it really liked it
This is dark poetry - I don't recommend it to many others. I've read all her books and love them, but Atwood's poetry should only be read in the afternoon, on a sunny day.
Kristin
Oct 16, 2010 Kristin rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Reading this collection, I was amazed at the ways Atwood's poetry has changed over the years, and how it has remained the same.
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2015
Matt Martinson
Matt Martinson rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2014
E.C.R.
E.C.R. rated it it was ok
Feb 28, 2009
Jenna DeFrei
Jenna DeFrei rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2016
Sita
Sita rated it it was ok
Nov 25, 2012
StevenF
StevenF rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2015
Marinette
Marinette rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Pattyann
Pattyann rated it did not like it
Jul 07, 2010
Sydney Robertson
Sydney Robertson rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
NonexistentPatricia
NonexistentPatricia rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2013
Deanna
Deanna rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2011
Olivia
Olivia rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2012
Tegan
Tegan rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2016
MF
MF rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Krista
Krista rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2013
Jessica Cramer
Jessica Cramer rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2013
Stephni
Stephni rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2012
Stephanie Zajchowski
Stephanie Zajchowski rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2015
Mahdieh Farahani
Mahdieh Farahani rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2014
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2014
FABClub (Female A...: Procedures for Underground group discussion 11 18 Feb 13, 2015 05:39PM
Margaret Atwood was born in 1939 in Ottawa and grew up in northern Ontario, Quebec, and Toronto. She received her undergraduate degree from Victoria College at the University of Toronto and her master's degree from Radcliffe College.

Throughout her writing career, Margaret Atwood has received numerous awards and honourary degrees. She is the author of more than thirty-five volumes of poetry, childr
More about Margaret Atwood...

“Where do the words go
when we have said them?”
37 likes
“with shrunken fingers
we ate our oranges and bread,
shivering in the parked car;

though we know we had never
been there before,
we knew we had been there before.”
7 likes