Start by marking “Anna to the Infinite Power” as Want to Read:
Anna to the Infinite Power

Anna to the Infinite Power

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  373 ratings  ·  36 reviews
A 12-year-old math whiz accidentally learns the startling facts about her true identity and her role in an important secret experiment.
Mass Market Paperback, 208 pages
Published February 16th 1987 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Anna to the Infinite Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anna to the Infinite Power

A Life To Waste by Andrew LennonA Kind of Judgment by Natalie G. OwensThe Sinner by K. Trap JonesGhost Story by Peter StraubThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
Literary Horror
76th out of 103 books — 145 voters
Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleThe Giver by Lois Lowry
Best Intro to Sci-Fi for Young Readers
358th out of 545 books — 585 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily
Mely
Childhood favorite. Or not favorite really; it gave me the creeps. Eerie book about cloning and government manipulation, precursor in some ways to my most adored Cyteen. Has strong incestuous undertones between non-blood-related siblings forced to rely on each other because everyone else is untrustworthy (also much like Cyteen, now that I think of it). I reread it a few years ago and was surprised that a character I'd remembered as an older Anna determined to disrupt the government's plans was n...more
Cera
This was one of my favourite books in elementary school & junior high, and held up well on adult rereading. It doesn't really work as a modern book about cloning because the science is so wrong (clones being mental & emotional duplicates as well as genetically identical), but it definitely works as a horror novel about a very broken young woman discovering terrible secrets about herself. The dystopian future is dated (explicit references to how much better things were in the 70s, plus th...more
pbj
I remember this from when I was a kid. I picked it up again after seeing a preview for a new TV show "Orphan Black". I have no idea if "Orphan Black" has any relationship to Anna to the Infinite Power, but I was curious to re-read this and see if it lived up to my memories.
I have to say, it's more complicated and scary than I remembered. They just don't write books like this anymore. The world-building is a bit simplistic, but given how short this book is, is certainly packs a punch.
Anna
This was one of my favorite books as a child. I originally picked it up because the main character had the same name I did. The sibling connection is strong, which I can really relate to, and Anna's situation is uniquely different. I loved the eerie tone of the book and the thought-provoking questions it implied. The plot is scientifically unrealistic, but I was shocked by the ending. And any book that can shock me is a good read.
Cinco
A young adult book about cloning, a Holocaust survivor, and a Big Brother-like society? Sign me up. I loved this when I was in middle school, and I reread it a couple of years ago and still thought it was pretty awesome.
Cindy
Jamie
This was a book I wanted to read for a long time. I remember seeing the movie many years ago and wanted to read the book then but it took a while to find a copy. For the time it was written, this is a well done book. For modern readers 20+ years later, its lost some of its wonder I think.
This book focuses on Anna, a pre-teen with a very mathematical mind who seems to lack most emotions such as concern, empathy, sorrow, etc. She finds out she is actually a clone when she accidentally comes across...more
Krystl Louwagie

I'd read, and liked, this before, but couldn't remember it, and it was a short read, so I read it again after getting it for Christmas this year. The editing bothered me because there were so many obvious spelling errors and what not, but that aside, I enjoyed the book for what it was. I didn't think it was written beautifully, but I liked the story, plot, characterization, how it was all weaved together, etc. It was a young adult novel, so it was good at being simple enough with still touching...more
Anna
A dystopic science fiction version of the United States, complete with cloning experiments, as imagined in the late 1970s and set in the 1990s (this was originally published in 1981), and with an awkward connection to the Holocaust.
The "science" is laughable and the world-building is barely existent - the reader learns that the world's resources are running out, but is given no explanatory information beyond that, and little context on general conditions. There are "people movers" and "electrob...more
Allison
This is the kind of book that I might have loved when I was eight... but then again, I might have not, just because the main character is initially so wholeheartedly unsympathetic. Anyway, it was super-fun to read a book about the high-tech future of the 1990s from an 80s perspective... their "INAFT machines" (information consoles with big-brother-type and also wikipedia-type internet capabilities) were dial-up, bolted down, and were shared by the entire family. Kind of hilarious now that 8 year...more
Alissa Nolan
I read this in 3rd grade, the year it came out, and loved it. I have not read it again in the years since, but at the time it stuck out as so very different than many other books I was reading. It is probably a good intro to dystopic fiction, though I must imagine the technology sited would be dated at this point.
Allison Webster
1. This book belongs to the junior science fiction genre.

2. Anna knew she was different. She never quite fit in with her family. Surprisingly, she find out that she is part of a secret experiment. Her bonds with her brother strengthen as they rally to discover the truth about Anna.

3. The are for critique is plot. This plot is intricate. It has many plot twists and the end is a shocker! This turns this book into a page turner. This plot is exciting and lends itself to the science fiction realm....more
Tansy
I read this book when I was a teenager, and it is the book I immediately thought of when I started watching Orphan Black.
Karen
I just re-read this book that I'd read in 6th grade. At first I was put off by how unrealistic the technology seemed, and the fact that the cloned girl acted like a robot. But it was surprisingly psychologically complex, with her learning how to be an individual and to care about other people. If you can ignore that some of the outcomes of the cloning make no sense, it's great metaphorically.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Aug 10, 2011 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides marked it as maybe-read-sometime  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Snail in Danger (Sid) by: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/368122-book-about-a-girl-who-has-been-cloned-from-a-scientist-s
Seems to cover a lot of the same thematic territory as Cyteen, from a juvenile point of view. If I were writing a paper or dissertation I'd definitely reading this, but it doesn't seem interesting enough on its own for me to want to, as someone outside the target demographic.
Hari
Aug 11, 2012 Hari rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sci-fi fans
Recommended to Hari by: I bought it
Shelves: ya-mg-fiction
This book scared the crap out of me as a kid. So much so that I hid it from myself and continued to have the occasional nightmare about it for years after. So, while for me it was a miserable experience, it can only speak to the author's gift that it was able to affect me so profoundly. So 4 stars. 1 off for scaring the crap out of me. lol
Carrie
I read this book in high school and absolutely loved it. It has stayed with me for 20 years.
Jill
I remember reading this book in junior high and it creeped me out. Enough so that I have thought about it off and on for years because even back then I knew I was missing some of the points of the plot because I wasn't old enough to understand it yet. It is as good as I remember it, and I got so much more out of it this time around.
Marshall Evans
This is the first book that ever broke my mind as a young adult. I was obsessed with this book and the ideas it contains. It is hard to find now and very rare but it is a good book full of ideas about being different, dystopian societies and control of the populace.
Stacy
I remembered seeing the movie for this when I was young but could not find it anywhere so I got the book. I read it in one night very good read hard to put down, dark ending...I needed a disney chaser movie in order to fall asleep. I recommend it.
Joy Mclaurin
So so so glad I found out about this one. I loved the movie as a kid and still know it by heart. The book, despite the differences, has the same feel. Like visiting an old friend I've just met.
Craig
Sep 18, 2013 Craig rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
Too many elements bog this down: dystopia! Extramarital affair! Music! Sibling rivalry! Holocaust! Unlikable characters! Cloning!

If you like your books with the kitchen sink, this one's for you.
Linda
Anna is a clone who discovers more about herself than was planned by powers who set it all in motion. Great twist ending. Engaging read worth the time to interloan it (published in the early 80's)
J.
Eh. It's not too bad, but I really didn't find myself able to connect to the character at all. Interesting concept, but really Halam's "Taylor Five" is a better treatment of the concept.
I found this old book at the cottage we rented. It was totally awesome. Anna is a clone -- part of an experiment to recreate a lost great mind. Still a really interesting idea.
Ms Threlkeld
I read this in middle school and loved it. When I saw it at a used book sale I snatched it up. Just started reading it last night and am thoroughly enjoying it.
Heather
I read this book about 30 years ago and still remember it and the story line. I remember enjoying the story line and that doesn't happen to a lot of books.
Antigone
Aug 25, 2008 Antigone rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: tweens who like sci-fi
Again, another favorite I owned and so read and reread and reread. Loved the sci-fi quality and really set me up to love 1984.
Leela4
Really, it IS a good story. But I personally rate it 3 out of 5 stars because I find dystopias unbearably silly.
  • The Girl with the Silver Eyes
  • What the Witch Left
  • Escape to Witch Mountain
  • Into the Dream
  • Ghosts I Have Been (Blossom Culp, #2)
  • Henry Reed's Babysitting Service
  • The Littles To The Rescue
  • Begin Again (Remnants, #14)
  • And Both Were Young
  • Losing Joe's Place
  • The Grounding of Group 6
  • The Guardian of Isis (Isis, #2)
  • Fat Men From Space
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
  • Stonewords: A Ghost Story
  • The Secret at the Seashore
  • The Third Eye
  • Cat Running
US writer of novels for older children, a few of them fantasy - See more at: http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/...
More about Mildred Ames...
Is There Life on a Plastic Planet? The Silver Link, the Silken Tie What Are Friends For? The Dancing Madness Who Will Speak for the Lamb?