Start by marking “The History of the United States (Vol. 1-7)” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The History of the Uni...

Patrick N. Allitt

The History of the United States (The Great Courses #8500)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This is the story of a country in which immigrants of the late 19th and early 20th centuries huddled in cramped tenement apartments lit by hazardous kerosene lamps. And a country that, little more than a half-century later, renowned economist John Kenneth Galbraith described as "The Affluent Society."

This is the chronicle of a nation that enslaved a race of people. And of...more
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2003 by The Teaching Company

To ask other readers questions about The History of the United States, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The History of the United States

Jake
An excellent overview of U.S. history, not really focusing in-depth on any particular topic. The lectures by Dr. Guelzo up to the Antebellum period are the best - if not in content, then definitely in delivery. The series is good as an interest gauge, suggesting further reading on whatever or whomever peaks your interest from the variety of lecture topics.
John Doyle
84 lectures over 42 commute hours. This was the book that made US history feel more like a wave than a bunch of particles for me. The narrative begins in 1492 and ends with Clinton so despite its length the book offers hundreds of jumping off points for further reading rather than the final word on any particular person, event, or era in US history. For me, the big takeaway is that our nation is a remarkable "emergent property" of human civilization that, while too often falling short of its pri...more
Julie
Excellent overview of a huge body of information. I learned quite a few new tidbits. I would like to correct the British lecturer who stated that Bill Clinton inherited the "don't ask, don't tell" policy (which shamefully came from the Clinton administration), though I ultimately enjoyed his perspective on American Exceptionalism, both the good and the bad. The first lecturer was the most entertaining, thus getting the listener through some of the more tedious material.
Tyler
Because of one of my wonderful fellow citizens of Richland County I will probably never get to hear part 7 of this series. I made it from Columbus to McCarthy (instead of Clinton) so I'm going to go ahead and mark this as "read". I liked it a lot. It seemed like old hat before I started, but it was fascinating. I especially like the period between 1812 and Civil War. That doesn't always get a lot of press, but it was covered thoroughly here.
Johannes Bertus
Brilliant. I especially enjoyed the parts about the Andrew Jackson era, which I had known almost nothing about.
My one complaint js that so little is said about precolonial America. It's not as if nothing happened on the continent before the arrival if Columbus, after all.
Kent
I enjoyed listening to this searies of lectures.

I liked the earliest lectures by Dr. Guelzo the best, which focused on political history and the interactions of major playeers in the founding of the United States up through the prelude to the Civil War. The later lectures transitioned to focus on social issues, which for me were less interesting.

Greg
I listened to all 42 discs of this set, which has to be considered itself a strong endorsement. I found the pre-Civil War lectures to be both the most engaging and most enlightening.
Kristen
this is an excellent way to get up to speed with US history! I have the last collection left!
Joseph Kauffman
Joseph Kauffman is currently reading it
Oct 15, 2014
Brian
Brian is currently reading it
Oct 14, 2014
Joe Gioino
Joe Gioino is currently reading it
Oct 07, 2014
Andrea
Andrea is currently reading it
Sep 30, 2014
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Ravyn
Ravyn added it
Sep 21, 2014
Armin Navabi
Armin Navabi marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Helen
Helen added it
Aug 22, 2014
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Sanni
Sanni is currently reading it
May 13, 2014
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Shawn
Shawn marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Srivani
Srivani is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2014
Hugh
Hugh marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I'm the Teacher, You're the Student: A Semester in the University Classroom Victorian Britain (The Great Courses) Rise and Fall of the British Empire  The Conservatives: Ideas and Personalities Throughout American History American Religious History (The Great Courses)