Start by marking “How To Fossilise Your Hamster: And Other Amazing Experiments For The Armchair Scientist” as Want to Read:

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Following the staggering success of Does Anything Eat Wasps? and Why Don't Penguins' Feet Freeze?, the New Scientist team, led by Mick O'Hare, turn to scientific conundrums that can be answered by simple experiments which can be done at home and enjoyed by the armchair scientist. How can you measure the speed of light with chocolate and a microwave? Why do yo-yos yo-yo? Wh...more
Published 2007 by Profile Books Ltd

To ask other readers questions about How To Fossilise Your Hamster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Fossilise Your Hamster

Monica!
I can’t legitimately give this book any stars (although I will!), because I haven’t technically read the whole thing. In a tragic turn of events, my fiancé caught me in the bathroom trying out experiment “BA[N]G,” where you mix baking soda and vinegar in a bag and the bag explodes with an incredibly loud noise and sprays baking soda and vinegar all over your apartment, and told me I had to return the book to the library before I caused any more disasters.

Pout.

But! From what I *did* manage to r...more
Nikki
Another New Scientist book, this one focused on experiments you can carry out at home. I'm sure I've read similar things in the other New Scientist book, but it's a fun collection anyway. My favourite thing was learning that you can separate out the iron from iron-fortified cereals using a magnet. Veeeery tempted to try that, though I'm not sure I have any strong enough magnets.
Ria
A wonderful book written in the same vein as the other titles in the New scientist series.
But this is done with a difference, this volume is aimed at encouraging readers to actually try out the theories and experiments at home so in a lot of cases some of the things put forward HAS been covered in some of the other books but have been slightly adapted for people to try in their own homes.
Broken down into handy sections of the kitchen, the study, things to do in the garden etc this book has some...more
M.G. Mason
This, the third in the collection of New Scientist books, focuses not so much on responding to letters sent into the magazine of those odd scientific queries and compiling them into a volume with comprehensive answers, but on the more practical aspects of what you can learn for yourself. It is a book of experiments based on queries they magazine has received.

The experiments are of course straightforward and encourage you to recreate every day phenomena. Because of this, it is not so much a book...more
Carl Wescott
This book is brilliant!

Or at least it appears to be from reading the experiments.

New Scientist magazine published the book, and it contains 78 experiments the armchair scientist can try at home with mostly easily available materials, to demonstrate scientific principles in action, the laws of physics, and in some cases, phenomena that are still not fully understood.

Here are videos of five of the experiments: http://www.youtube.com/course?list=EC...

I've picked out my first eleven experiments t...more
Eric
Feb 17, 2008 Eric rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who has kids and likes science
Shelves: trivia-etc
This is a fun little book full of easy experiments to try to prove different science related questions. Some of the questions include things like "How do you suck an egg into a bottle" or "Why does that mentos/diet coke thing work?" or "How to make science volcanoes" and more. The book if very easy to read and light-hearted with humor thrown in.

I found it informative and easy to read end to end without doing any of the experiments. I do plan to keep the book and do some of the experiments with...more
Rachel
Although some of the experiments were interesting I didn’t really feel myself wanting to rush out and try them. The back ground information associated with each of the different experiments and how they turn out and why is the part I found more interesting. It definitely didn’t hold my interest in the same way other New Scientist books like ‘Why Don’t Penguins Feet Freeze’ and ‘Do Polar Bears Ever Get Lonely’. The main redeeming feature was the shortness of each of the sections meaning it could...more
Reds_reads
This book is from the same team that produced 'Does Anything Eat Wasps' and others, collections of readers questions featured in New Scientist magazine together with answers. It describes various experiments that can be done at home that answer some of these questions, or just illustrate them in an amusing or ingenious way. An awful lot of them seem to feature alcohol and/or fizzy drinks.

It was an entertaining read - informative and humorous - and has left me with a real desire to see just what...more
Shahrun
This book is brilliant! It had me amazed, laughing and educated my little brain. Pretty winning combination if you ask me! Next step is to try out some of the experiments! Oh and buy another copy of this book for my uncle (it was supposed to be his birthday present), because I need to keep this copy for future reference.

Note to Readers of Does Anything Eat Wasps & Why Don't Penguin's Feet Freeze - there is some repetition of subject matter (I just skimmed over those bits), so it may get bor...more
Beth
I bought this book mostly for the title experiment, but it's not so much an experiment as just finding the right conditions to prevent the dead hamster from being disturbed/eaten/destroyed and letting it sit for a long time. I thought there might be more to it than that. However, this book does tell you how to culture your own DNA using items commonly found in the household and how to measure the speed of light using chocolate.
Saurio Saurio
Un libro interesante y con experimentos divertidos. Lástima que la traducción al castellano tiene algunas palabras de uso común en España pero extrañas en Argentina y uno tiene que deducir qué corno necesita para hacer la experiencia, pero, bue, es lo de menos.
Ideal para enchastrar la cocina y desordenar el garage un sábado lluvioso con el hijo (o la hija o los plurales de ambos) de uno.
Ginnz
Dec 23, 2007 Ginnz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: arm chair scientists
Excellent. Loved every second of this book and it gives you experiements to do (as well as explains what happens and why) so I cant wait to try some of thses out.
Fossilising a hamster will take some organising tho!
Kate
Great read! Many hands-on science experiments about every day things. My favorite experiment: measuring the speed of light using a chocolate bar and your microwave. Awesome!
Bagger
Who doesn't want to know how to do the stuff in this book, from making your own wine(which is disgusting) to fossilizing your hamster, a must read for inquiring minds.
Xanthi
A book about home science experiments. I found myself slogging through parts of this book. Not quite as entertaining as I was hoping it would be.
Shahrun
Mar 30, 2012 Shahrun marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Angela
A book full of interesting science experiments you can perform with everyday household items, written in an amusing and easy to understand manner.
Kerry
I just ran out of time before the book had to go back to the library. A danger of reading too many books at once, I guess. It was fun, what I read.
Nikos Skantzos
It's about how much fun science can be. It doesn't take sophisticated devices to see the most spectacular phenomena.
D.
Oct 11, 2009 D. added it
How to Fossilise Your Hamster and Other Amazing Experiments for the Armchair Scientist by Mick O'Hare (2007)
Daniel
this book have some great experiments but others not so good
Pepquímic
Funny experiments you can perform at home.
Jl
Jl marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Wesley
Wesley marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Kauz
Kauz marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
  • Why Don't Penguins' Feet Freeze?: And 114 Other Questions
  • Why Can't Elephants Jump?: And 101 Other Tantalising Science Questions
  • Why Do Buses Come in Threes: The Hidden Mathematics of Everyday Life
  • When Science Goes Wrong: Twelve Tales From the Dark Side of Discovery
  • Mental Floss presents In the Beginning: From Big Hair to the Big Bang, mental_floss presents a Mouthwatering Guide to the Origins of Everything
  • Discarded Science: Ideas That Seemed Good at the Time...
  • Sneaky Uses for Everyday Things
  • Backyard Ballistics: Build Potato Cannons, Paper Match Rockets, Cincinnati Fire Kites, Tennis Ball Mortars, and More Dynamite Devices
  • Electrified Sheep
  • Fact. Fact. Bullsh*t!: Learn the Truth and Spot the Lie on Everything from Tequila-Made Diamonds to Tetris's Soviet Roots - Plus Tons of Other Totally Random Facts from Science, History and Beyond!
  • Where's My Jetpack?: A Guide to the Amazing Science Fiction Future That Never Arrived
  • The Goldilocks Enigma: Why Is the Universe Just Right for Life?
  • Why Popcorn Costs So Much at the Movies: And Other Pricing Puzzles
  • The Language of Genes
  • It's Not Rocket Science
  • Theo Gray's Mad Science: Experiments You Can Do At Home - But Probably Shouldn't
  • Bang!: The Complete History of the Universe