Blank-133x176
Letters to Karen

Charlie W. Shedd

Letters to Karen

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Karen Shedd, away at college, had recently become engaged. Looking forward to a long and happy union, she wrote to her father for advice.
Published by Abingdon Press (first published 1965)

Yemima Aprilia
This is one of the best non-fiction book I've ever read for personal development...very practical and down-to-earth advice especially for ladies who want to be a wise wife and a gift to husband..written by a loving father and also experienced counselor for marriage.

Some quotes that maybe seems to be old-fashioned yet good to be remembered all the time:

"Marriage...is not so much finding the right person as it is being the right person"

"The surest way to be fully loved is to love fully"

"Beauty in...more
Maddlyn
Before getting married a friend of mine suggested me this book! And it was the best advise she could have given me in that particular situation. Some days before our wedding I was reading `Letters to Karen`, while my boyfriend beside me was reading `Letters to Phillip`.It was a fun thing to do because these books are very easy and quick to read books. You can find many tips on how to keep love alive over years, all written in a very warm and witty style.
Anastasiya
This book has some very practical advice but alongside some very misleading ideas and explanations of life. Over all this is a very sentimental and typical marriage book. It is very sincere but one could be sincerely wrong. This book does not focus on God being the one that sustains the marriage and that marriage is not to make us happy but holy. "All things are from him and through him and to him" (Romans 11:36) and this includes marriage! This book does not mention the gospel and the main poin...more
Kessia Reyne
I couldn't find the English version of this book on Goodreads, so this will have to do.

I thought this book had several gems of wisdom in it from a fatherly and seemingly Christian point of view. Charlie Shedd wrote a series of letters to his daughter in response to her question, "Daddy, how can I keep him loving me forever?" Kind of a sappy question, I guess, but I think it turned out to be a pretty nice book.

As I said with his other book, Letters to Phillip, it does read as though it were writ...more
Dhini
"Ayah, apa yang harus kulakukan utk membuat suamiku selalu mencintaiku?"

Demikianlah hal yang dipertanyakan Karen - seorang gadis yang menjelang pernikahannya - kepada ayahnya, Charlie W Shedd, yang juga adalah seorang pendeta yang biasa menangani masalah2 dalam pernikahan jemaatnya..

Pertanyaan itu pula yang menjadi awal dari ke-25 surat Charlie yang dibukukan ini.

Dan mengalirlah segala nasihat Sang Ayah pada putrinya... tentang bagaimana dia harus mengetahui saat yang tepat utk menyampaikan hal...more
Marina Zala
** Books 172 - 2014 **

Buku ini mengisahkan seorang ayah yang memberikan wejangan dan nasihat tentang hubungan manusia dan pernikahan kepada putrinya, Karen

mungkin karena saya belum menikah jadi buku ini terasa biasa saja buat saya.. mungkin buku ini akan lebih tepat dibaca ketika saya sedang berhubungan dengan pria atau memutuskan untuk menikah..

saya berikan 2,5 dari 5 bintang untuk saat ini.. mungkin kedepannya bisa saja penilaian saya berubah.. hehe
Bivisyani Questibrilia
This book was very personal to me because it was a collection of letters a father wrote to his daughter to advise her on love and marriage. My Dad recommended it and it felt like those were indirectly the words he would have used. Also, I am extra honoured he thought I could grasp something so mature and powerful at this age (though I'm no longer young anymore, I guess), and I also think he believes in the relationship me and my bf have shared for over 3 years. It definitely taught me a lot and...more
Stacey
This is actually the 2nd time I've read this book. The 1st time I read it while still single, now of course I'm on the other side and was able to appreciate the author's wisdom. Although some of the points made in the book are a little out dated, in the end it really is a good book about marriage and how to enrich your relationship with your husband. The copy I read was a gift from my mom, I think she probably read it a couple of times and then passed it onto me. We will see if it will last long...more
Dawn
This book really surprised me, it was letters written to a daughter about marriage advice from her minister father. He wrote them and they were made into a book in the 60's. The surprise was that so much of the council he gave was alot the same as I have heard from General Authorities and from Laura Brotherson ect. I will most likely give it to Saige when she becomes engaged someday along with And They were Not Ashamed.
mindi
i read this SO long ago, but i remember that i really enjoyed it. it was short and kept my attention well (obviously, as i read it during a couple of super boring church services at a local church during "visitors week")

i do hate rating books that i read as a kid, though, so i skimmed through it tonight and it still seemed really sweet.
Jenn-lee
Jul 20, 2008 Jenn-lee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone in a relationship
Recommended to Jenn-lee by: Daniel
This is a great book for anyone interested in strengthening their marriage. A father who is a minister writes letters to his daughter about love and marriage. The letters were eventually published int his book. Amazing! Daniel read the one for men called Letters to Phillip and he said it is what helped him win me over!
Emily
The subtitle for this book is "On Keeping Love in Marriage," which is a good description of the book. These are letters written by a pastor to his daughter upon her engagement. My fiance and I are reading them together and we are really enjoying the conversations they spark.
Grete
Old-fashioned in its assumptions about the roles of women, and sometimes problematically stereotyping. Nevertheless, there is still quite a bit of truth within these engaging, funny letters from father to daughter on the subject of marriage.
Alanna
This is a classic! These short letters that a father wrote to his daughter before her marriage are full of practical advice, humor, and tried and true wisdom. I'm already planning on reading through it again after my wedding!
Tegwen
I love this little book. It has been so helpful in our marriage. Miguel and I got hooked on Charlie shedd books with letters to Phil and so I got letters to Karen. Dr shedd really is a master of "homespun wisdom"
Janelle
great book for guidance in relating with any guy, but especially boyfriend/husband. it's one of those books i'll probably want to read once a year. quick, easy, and enjoyable read.
Talitha
great advisory book about marriage and its problem. you should read it, either youre in a relationship or already married with three kids whatsoever. recommended to everyone :)
Natalie Moore
A father's letters to his daughter on her marriage. Sweet and thoughtful, but rather dated advice. Some of it is profound, some of it is 'honey, make sure you're hair is done.'
Rhonda
Advice to a new bride to be from her father. It's a little old fashioned and traditional, but I like the male perspective marital insight I'm gaining.
Jodi
This was an interesting book written by a father to his daughter who is soon to marry. I liked alot of it his ideas and he made good points.
Alvi Harahap
This was another marriage book to add to the shelf. I really didn't feel like it was different or unique from the other marriage books available.
Jemimah Lieow
Wise advise from Dad to daughter. Would be good advises for other ladies as well. What a blessing to have a father that love God.
Hannah
A very good book overall! There were a few points of his that I disagreed with it, but overall, I agreed with the book!
Anni
Ditulis oleh seorang Pendeta. Merupakan kumpulan surat nasehat untuk putrinya, tentang hidup berumahtangga.
Joyce
This is my copy.
Lots of good advice to the bride to be from her father. "Christian", not Biblical.
Michelle
My father thoughtfully gave me this to read when it was 'that time' in my life.
Carrie Hauck
Really good advice- I would recommend this to every woman out there!
Melissa Candrasaputra
A real gem...it is simply written and down to the essentials.
Denise
An enjoyable read. The love of a father shines through.
Restiadinariska Ii
Restiadinariska Ii marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Letters to Philip Brush of an Angel's Wing Letters to Karen Letters to Philip: On Keeping Love in Marriage Remember, I Love You: Martha's Story The Stork is Dead