Misadventures in the 213

Misadventures in the 213

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Dennis Hensley's Misadventures in the (213) is like the best kind of gossip--something you might hear from a friend who heard it from a friend who knows someone who does Tori Spelling's hair--and it's just bitchy enough to be very, very funny. Aspiring screenwriter Craig Clybourn arrives in Hollywood and is soon sucked into a series of giddy escapades involving a phone boo...more
Audio Cassette, Abridged, 0 pages
Published July 28th 1999 by Publishing Mills (first published July 7th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Misadventures in the 213, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Misadventures in the 213

Heather
Absolutely one of my favorite books ever.

I came upon this book at a restaurant in Union, CT off of I-84 in 2003, the summer between eighth grade and high school. The premise of the place was that you eat and pick out a book. I happened upon a hard cover edition of this.

I read and re-read this many a time in the first few months. I adored the story - even back then I was a pop culture junkie, and I enjoyed all the references - even though at that point the book had been out for 5 years, and was s...more
Victoria
probably one of my favorite books
Chris
For a "slight, funny" read, I found this both overlong (by about 100 pages) and I didn't laugh...once. Plot both bloated and slight at the same time. What is funny is that it takes place in the late 90s--funny how so many of the celebrities are exactly the same but technology certainly isn't--one plot twist involves someone not having email...um.
L.
Rather amusing, but seems to be trying too hard. About a guy who is good friends with a TV star a la Friends or Baywatch. Very silly--she's a real piece of work--and the people are all pretty shallow & icky. So of course they'll make a movie of it!
Jason
I was given this book by someone who told me that I was exaclty like one of the characters in the book. After reading it, I shuddered to guess which one he thought was me.

In any case, this was a fun read.. Recommended for any Los Angelenos...
Jess Moss
I really couldn't get into this book. I didn't find myself caring about the characters until the final few chapters. This was somewhat of a "trashy" novel. I finished the book only because I hate to start a book and not finish it.
Dana
Never go to the bookstore hungry. You end up buying books that have the nutritional value of a supersize order of extra greasy french fries — good for about 5 minutes and then you just feel kinda nasty.
Maureen
I love how I could picture all the things in this fantastical book happening here in lovely LA. The craziness is real, in a Hollywood sort of way. It was funny and clever and enduring.
Anne
Liked this, like this author. Not as funny as Screening Party, but worth a read to get that 'left coast' viewpoint.
Kent
Sep 27, 2007 Kent rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
Very funny and well written. This was a very good start for Hensley. Wish he'd been able to keep it going.
Ryan
A book that is crying out for a follow up or a T.V. Show. Very entertaining.
John
Shallow and silly ... but sometimes that not such a bad thing.
Alisha
This is a "laugh so hard you will pee in your pants" sort of book.
Susan
A film maker can write a really entertaining book.
Chris
Hilarious look at life in LA. Non-stop laugh riot. Read it.
Cary O'Dell
Laugh out loud funny novel. A pleasure to read.
Jennie
Aug 29, 2008 Jennie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pop culture fans
This book is totally hilarious!
Dan Cote
love this book. very funny!
Chip
Chip added it
Jul 27, 2014
Dee Ramirez
Dee Ramirez marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014