Start by marking “Rag Doll” as Want to Read:
Rag Doll

Rag Doll

A fascinating short story about a dream of a lifetime. Jeremy Martell takes his four-year-old son, Todd to search for diamonds.

It isn’t a diamond his young son finds in the Arkansas state park. The park becomes a crime scene.

Crime, sex, and mystery make this a very entertaining read.
Published December 10th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Rag Doll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rag Doll

Sue
Sep 21, 2015 Sue rated it liked it
Just finished "Rag Doll" by Rebecca Scarberry, a short story about a young father finding himself framed for the murder of his girlfriend, based on the current evidence.

But things are not what they seem. You will have to read this short story to find out what happened, and decide for yourself how believable it is. Great job in keeping the end a surprise.
Andrew Lennon
Jan 09, 2015 Andrew Lennon rated it did not like it
Feels like it has been written by a 10 year old.
The story itself has no excitement. It seems to just skip all of a sudden to what feels like a very lazy unplanned ending.
Complete drivel.
Simon Okill
Mar 24, 2014 Simon Okill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rag Doll by Rebecca Scarberry is a superb short story with such a kickass ending that I defy anyone not to gasp and spill their coffee or tea or beverage of choice.
The author has managed to wrap a mammoth mystery into a gift-wrapped Pandora's Box that will leave any reader begging to see this on the small screen. What starts out as a pleasant day out hunting for diamonds in a State Park turns to pain, fear and guilt as the body of a woman is discovered by a little boy.
His father is soon under su
Dianne
Mar 07, 2015 Dianne rated it really liked it
Welcome to the twisted world of Rag Doll, a very short tale from Rebecca Scarberry that covers, a little of everything dark while skipping the tracks mid-way to cover even more darkness as a man reflects on the circumstances of his past that brought him to where he is today. Is real? Is he dreaming? Has he killed someone or has he been a victim, as well? You be the judge, what has really happened here? Has justice been served or are we still left with unanswered questions?

A short read that will
Mark Tilbury
Jun 23, 2015 Mark Tilbury rated it really liked it
A father and son go on an outing together when dark events, suspense and a sometimes creepy atmosphere fill the pages in this short story. The pace of this story is fast, whilst the nightmare the father finds himself in is full of tension and plot twists. I enjoyed this short story and feel that if the author ever developed it into a full length novel, plenty of readers of this short story would also enjoy that.
J. Feulner
May 28, 2014 J. Feulner rated it did not like it
Terrible

I am speechless! I cannot believe this story is available on Kindle - the writing could be that of a 6th grader. At this time, the average rating is 4.5 & the only reason I'm leaving a review is to warn other readers not to waste the 10 minutes it takes to read it.
Bookschatter
Jan 26, 2015 Bookschatter rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A very short story that packs a lot of moods and feelings into its narration.

The language can be very simplistic at time, but the story flows well.

The unexpected twist at the end felt a bit too rushed, furthermore I am not sure I am 100% convinced by it.

Definitely worth a read for a little bit of crime and mystery.
Jordyn Redwood
John Dolan
Mar 23, 2014 John Dolan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a departure from her 'Jumper' series for children and her charming 'Henry' books, Ms Scarberry here weaves a murder mystery tale.

Although it is short, it is well worth a read - if only for the twists!
Callie Hunter
Sep 26, 2013 Callie Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the preview on amazon and was gripped instantly. The hook from the first line truly grabbed me and I could hardly stop myself from reading on.

The first chapter gave a good sense of character immediately. We meet Jeremy, a father hopelessly in love with his son, Todd, and a wife, who still yearns for her High School sweetheart. My sympathy as a reader rested with Jeremy and in such a short time, Rebecca has allowed us to associate and care for her characters in a short period of time.

The p
Francesco Marincola
Oct 19, 2014 Francesco Marincola rated it it was amazing
Rag Doll is a short story of introspection. A story of guilt and relief, of death and awakening portrayed as a thriller; but, who is dead? Who is alive? I could tell more, but then I would give it all away. You ought to read it first. My only criticism is that I got so wrapped up in the characters, I wish it was longer. Maybe the author will publish a sequel whereby she tells us more about what happens next to Jeremy and Selena.

I’d also like to say that, it’s quite different from Mrs. Scarberry
Christoph Fischer
"Rag Doll" by Rebecca Scarberry is a short but very impressive story about a young father finding himself trapped in evidence against him and quite possibly framed for the murder of his girlfriend.
Not all is what it seems and I will have to leave it at that, however much I want to tell you more.

This was a surprise find for me, a story that starts with blood and gore, a metaphorical trap shutting and everything that follows after. Part psychological thriller, part reflection by our protagonist on
Carol Cassada
Nov 17, 2014 Carol Cassada rated it really liked it
I admit I'm a bit of a slow reader, I usually read a few pages one day then pick up where I left off the next day. I was so hooked on this story that I finished it in one day.

I felt sorry for Jeremy and I was rooting for him to reunite with his son, Todd, who is the light of his world. My one critique of the story is I would've loved if Jeremy's relationship with his wife, Rita was explored more. I would've liked to have read about how they met and the early years in their marriage.

The story was
P.S. Winn
Feb 25, 2016 P.S. Winn rated it really liked it
Good short read that takes readers on a psychological thrill ride,
in fact the characters in the book go on one also.
I found the story line fascinating and enjoyed the twists and turns. The writing seemed a bit, I think the word might be halted, to me. But the story made up for that and I think this author did a great job. Short stories are hard to write and make them feel like a complete story, the author did a great job with this.
Max Power
Nov 07, 2014 Max Power rated it really liked it
A Quick little read
A good short story, Rebecca Scarberry has written a neat compact fast little piece of entertainment. It is definitely a quirky enjoyable little tale and is probably a good introduction to those who might want to delve a little deeper into Rebecca's work. Pick it up, you will read it in a jiffy, thanks Rebecca.
Janice Hoskins
Feb 19, 2014 Janice Hoskins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short Stories are great, BUT...they always leave you wanting more. Rag Doll is no exception. very well written. Rebecca Scarberry makes her characters real, people you might know. She does a great job in keeping the end a surprise, right to the VERY end. Great job.
Diana Febry
Feb 26, 2015 Diana Febry rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded to 4.
A short, free ten minute read with a nice twist at the end. This brief piece shows the author can create likeable characters, an atmospheric feel and a good story. I was left wanting more and have added her longer books to my ever increasing BTR list.
Elisa
Sep 24, 2015 Elisa rated it it was ok
I didn't really understand the point of this story, and I didn't like the writing. I appreciate how hard it must be to write and publish a story, and it is not grammatically incorrect or full of typos, I just didn't like it.
monica mendoza
Oct 26, 2014 monica mendoza rated it it was amazing
No words

this book was amazing, I loved it .....kept me in suspense the whole time, not sure why it's called rag doll....but idc,,, I loved it!
Treasa
May 19, 2014 Treasa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was immediately pulled into the story and whipped around like a rag doll trying to keep up with where Jeremy was going with his narrative. I didn't expect the ending. We'll done.
Douglas Meeks
This is a great book when you have a few minutes to spare since at approximately 22 pages it does not take up a lot of time.

The synopsis gives you the basics you need for this book so I can't really add much to the description of the plot without spoiling things in this short of a story BUT the reason I gave it three stars was because the book is actually two intertwined stories, both of which I found interesting reading. The problem is that I was jarred out of the book by having to reread the t
David Caldwell
This short story starts one way and travels along that path for most of the story. But near the end, the story takes a major turn and ends up in an entirely different area. I won't say more as it would be a spoiler for sure.

But I will say that the direction change felt like the author wasn't sure how to wrap the story up and chose to take a relatively easy way out of it. It wasn't very satisfying.

Another thing that I noticed is that the entire story is told almost exclusively short declarative s
Phil Leader
Jun 06, 2016 Phil Leader rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, amazon
On a family holiday Jeremy takes his son out for the day. His marriage isn't doing too well and he's been having an affair, which triggers a sequence of events when his son finds something unexpected...

Rag Doll is a short story that plays with the reader as much as with the characters, in the same way a cat will play with an unfortunate mouse. This is a quick read but Scarberry uses the format well, in essence providing a sketch of the story and getting the reader to fill in the details.

Hard to
Beth Hale
Jul 15, 2016 Beth Hale rated it really liked it
This is a short story and packs a lot of events into the ten minutes or so it took me to read it. I enjoyed it, especially all the neat twists and turns. I don't want to say too much and give away the plot. I had an a-ha! moment, only to have another one at the end of the story. It's been edited well--always a nice treat--and I thought the title fit the story perfectly.
Denise Ward
Aug 29, 2014 Denise Ward rated it liked it
If you have half an hour spare then this read is worth taking a look at. I kinds felt sorry for the main character, then relieved at the end for him. I'm not sure what genre you would class this as, murder, supernatural, romance as it has a touch of all 3.
kristine fugit
Jun 14, 2014 kristine fugit rated it really liked it
Kristine Fugit

Kristine Fugit

what I have read is good but I have been cut off at a very interesting part. The characters are entertaining book is good so far.

Amber
Aug 06, 2016 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book on my kindle and the story was good, but it wasn't as padded out as I would have liked. The author could have expanded the story to give it a better grounding, making the characters and story come to life. It was a good read, though, but it could have been expanded.
James D. A. Terry
Aug 23, 2015 James D. A. Terry rated it really liked it
Excellent! Shades of The Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock. Brilliant ending! However, I found Selena's lack of response to his recovery from the coma somewhat perplexing.
Stephen (Steve) Homewood
Aug 14, 2015 Stephen (Steve) Homewood rated it really liked it
Book written by my friend Rebecca Scarberry which I read during my flight to the USA and I enjoyed very much
Tkay Swisher
Jul 21, 2014 Tkay Swisher rated it it was ok
Too short

Too short

A high 2 stars:
Sounds like someone had a weird dream and jotted it down in a notebook. Hmm, maybe I should start doing that.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Rebecca Scarberry was born and raised on the coast of California. She now lives on a secluded farm in the Boston Mountains of Arkansas.

She self-published Messages from Henry in June 2012. It was written for young adults, but adults are finding it very entertaining. She released the sequel, Where Love Takes You on August 9, 2013 (previously published under a different title). Henry and Cecilia, now
More about Rebecca Scarberry...