The Heiress of Water: A Novel

The Heiress of Water: A Novel

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  23 reviews
When young Monica Winters Borrero loses her luminous mother in an accident at sea, she is exiled from the tropical paradise that was her home. Grieving and cut off from a life among El Salvador's elite, Monica and her American father move to Connecticut, vowing never to look back.

Years later, an intriguing stranger, who has endured a terrible loss of his own, enters Monica...more
Published September 5th 2006 by Harper Perennial (first published September 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Heiress of Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heiress of Water

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezLove in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezThe House of the Spirits by Isabel AllendeLike Water for Chocolate by Laura EsquivelThe Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Latina/Latino Fiction
175th out of 425 books — 700 voters
Silence by Becca FitzpatrickStarcrossed by Josephine AngeliniTorment by Lauren KateSo Shelly by Ty RothHereafter by Tara Hudson
Water
143rd out of 484 books — 134 voters

More lists with this book...

Merredith
The Heiress of Water by Sandra Rodriguez Barron is a book i blindly picked up from the bargain bin when i needed something to read and was out of rented books. for that, it was pretty good. Partly set in El Salvador, and partly in Connecticut, it's a very latin american styled book, like Isabelle Allende, who is even quoted on the front. Lots of that magical realism sort of thing, but a little toned down from some authors. The book is about the sea, and 2 generations trying to find medicine from...more
Karen
I really enjoyed this book. It's the first book in a while the kept me up late, late, late because I just wanted to see how it would end.

The basic plot centers on a woman who grew up in an extremely rich family in El Salvadore who fled with her American father to the States after her mother is killed during the Salvadoran revolution (uprising?). She becomes a physical therapist and through work beccomes involved with the mother and husband of a comatose woman. There's this whole part of the plo...more
Amanda
OK, I really, really wanted to like this book. But I found it enragingly implausible and boring. I felt no connection whatsoever to the characters. It was predictable. It was trite. It was a waste of my time and money.
Maria K.
There are LOTS of thought provoking ideas and contrasting ideas brought up/discussed - definitely a good book club read. Contrasts like christianity/catholicism versus nature, wealth vs. poverty, traditional medicine vs. experimentation. Love is a big part of the book and the different aspects of love we all find within our lives and in our hearts. I really did like this book. I especially loved the imagery of the sea. I started out thinking negatively of this book - was worried it would be anot...more
Kari
The ending of this book doesn't answer the question "what happened?" Too much plot pressure was built up that was never released. The story line had great potential, but the book needed another 25 pages.

I felt all the characters were the same: they all had the same kind and level of wit, and seemed to operate under the same motivations.

An enjoyable read, but didn't really deliver.
Bridget
We read this for book club, and our "discussion" was only 10 minutes long. The book was a bit trite, and we didn't feel connected to any of the characters. I was interested enough to continue reading it, chapter after chapter, but it didn't draw conflicting viewpoints from it's readers as I think it intended to.
Ashley
This book had an interesting plot. It was different from anything else I have read in that regard. However, for me it was a little slow. Lots of dialogue that seemed a little forced and fake. I finished the book because I wanted to see how the story ended, not because I loved the style of writing.
Someone my dad knows wrote this book so I gave it a shot. It was actually pretty interesting. A little formulaic but the plot caught my attention and kept me interested. A good beach book.
Adrianna
I think for me it started off a little slow, but picked up, and I couldn't put it down!! It had this magical feel to it. Definitely a page turner and a good summer read.
Jan
Like STAY WITH ME, the second book by Sandra, THE HEIRESS is outstanding. Sandra is one of my new favorites. You must read this book.....I couldn't put it down.
Corinne
This book isn't life changing and it was sappy in parts but it was a page turner and I finished it pretty quickly. The plot revolves around venomous snails.
Janet
Aug 15, 2012 Janet added it
Shelves: book-club
look for the alternate ending on the author's website. it is her original vision of how the story would end, before she was talked into the editor's version.
Kimberly
I thought this was a fantastic read! I wasn't able to predict what was going to happen and that is a good thing.
Elisa
beautifully written. smart. lyrical.

read this book now.
Sherrie
Jun 14, 2008 Sherrie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
You shouldn't miss this one- a really nice summer read
Candace Petersen Martineau
I really enjoyed this well-written tale.
Lauren
Decent writing, but a very predictable plot.
Trisha
An interesting Mystery. It kept me on my toes.
Maria Maniaci
Jul 16, 2007 Maria Maniaci marked it as to-read
2007 Int. Lat. Book Awards--first fiction
Elle
This Novel is perfect for a Movie.
jennifer
Milford author
Tessa Smith
Tessa Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Elle
Elle marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Sandra Rodriguez Barron was born in Caguas, Puerto Rico and has lived in the Dominican Republic and El Salvador. She holds a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing from Florida International University. She is the recipient of a Bread Loaf Fellowship, a National Association for Latino Arts and Culture artist grant, and a Greater Hartford Arts Council Solo Writers Fellowship. She lives in Connecti...more
More about Sandra Rodriguez Barron...
Stay with Me: A Novel