Start by marking “The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy & Mathematics from Albert Einstein to Stephen W. Hawking & from Annie Dillard to John Updike” as Want to Read:

The most Eloquent and inspired scienc writing of our time.An astonishing cast of more than ninety renowned writers provides thoughtful and lucid reflections on some of the major scentific topics of our time - from black holes and galaxies to artificial intelligence and chaos theory. Featuring essays, articles, and poems penned by notables in the worlds of both science and ...more
Published June 30th 1993 by Back Bay Books (first published 1991)

Be the first to ask a question about The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy & Mathematics from Albert Einstein to Stephen W. Hawking & from Annie Dillard to John Updike

Fortunr
Jan 26, 2015 Fortunr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book delivers a nice collection of short works by some of the most eminent physicists, astronomers and mathematicians of recent times.

Some essays (particularly in the astronomy/cosmology part) are necessarily a bit dated (given that the book was published in the early 90's, even before the so-called "dark energy" was "discovered") but even in this area there are brilliant, short articles written by Hawking, Sagan, and Penrose.

In the area of mathematics, there are beautiful essays by Alfred
Gary
May 08, 2015 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting peek at how we saw the universe of the big and the small before 1990. The first half, the physics and cosmology part was the best. In the math sections it started losing my interest, Chaos Theory never really did meet its hype that the 80s promised and AI is more real than imagined. As with all essay type books there is some incoherence between the essays. Having one essay of Popper juxtaposed with one by Kuhn will only lead to confusion.
Geoffrey Irvin
Feb 09, 2016 Geoffrey Irvin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
How it would be possible to rate this collection of essays less than 5 stars I'm not sure. Ferris has assembled one of the best selection of science writing on the subjects of 20th century physics, astronomy and maths that I have ever come across. The ordering is logical and comprehensive, and the essays are by the best authorities and communicators in each field assembled. The broad themes are explorations of Relativity, Quantum mechanics, Astrophysics, Game theory, Chaos, science biography, ...more
Jonathan
Jan 11, 2014 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scientifically minded readers
Shelves: non-fiction
This collection is actually the second of the “World Treasury” series that I’ve encountered; I’ve also got the science fiction collection which I will review when I get it back from the friend to whom I loaned it (not his fault; there’s a lot there to read). The goal behind creating a world treasury, states the series editor, is to introduce (presumably mainly American) readers to worthy and enduring works in the chosen subject from all over the world, not only those from the more classical can ...more
Jeff
Apr 01, 2011 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Take a tour of Physics, Astronomy and Mathematics by reading this prodigious anthology of essays. From luminaries such as Einstein, Popper, Feynman and Hawking to lesser known, but equally enlightening, authors, these short treatises explore the physical nature of reality around us. Part one deals with Physics; part two with Astronomy; part three with Mathematics and the forth part with biographies, poetry and meditations on the nature of science itself.

This is not a book you sit down with and r
Michael
This is a very good collection of essays. The science and math sections are accessible and interesting. The play with the different ideas that are challenging scientists. My personal favorite was the essay speculating a second sun in a distant for our solar system and explaining how it effects gravitation pulls. This is just one of several essays that are really quite good.
Mitchell Szczepanczyk
Dec 16, 2009 Mitchell Szczepanczyk rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone, science and math fans
I once joked that if I could marry a book, this would be the one I married. It surveys a wide area, but in such a way that is deeply detailed but never overwhelming, and you can practically pick up any point in the book, dive right in, and enjoy.
Samuel
Apr 01, 2011 Samuel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hard core science lovers
Good solid collection of geeky science stuff, I especially enjoy the astronomy section. This isn't a cover to cover read, but when I'm in the mood to read some science articles it doesn't disappoint.
William Schram
Very good. A large collection of works that cover astronomy, mathematics and physics. From "There's Plenty of Room at the Bottom" to the one about the Coastline of Britain, there is plenty of material to keep you busy.
Dimitri
Apr 01, 2011 Dimitri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: referensi, sains
dibeliin saat masih smp kelas 1...membuat kepala mo pecah saat baca pertama kali...sampe sekarang belum bisa ngerti semua isinya. jika ada yg berminat saya bersedia berikan / swap buku.
Frank
Apr 29, 2012 Frank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: astrophysics
Best collection out there on the subject for both the amateur enthusiast and the seasoned scientist.
Ewa
Sep 10, 2007 Ewa rated it really liked it
the "holy book" of the third millennium, the trailer of the grandest narrative known to humanity so far
Paul  McCartney
Jun 23, 2016 Paul McCartney rated it it was amazing
these topics interest me much because it contains the information of the constellations and their mathematical calculations
Jim Whipple
Jim Whipple rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2015
Chaimae Baaji
Chaimae Baaji rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2013
Barry Belmont
Barry Belmont rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2015
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2012
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Chetansai Gadireddi
Chetansai Gadireddi rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Mo Riza
Mo Riza rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2014
Pabitra Sahu
Pabitra Sahu rated it it was ok
Sep 19, 2016
Marina
Marina rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2011
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Brando
Brando rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Donald
Donald rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2011
Fjhull Forked-tongue
Fjhull Forked-tongue rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2013
Manjunath
Manjunath rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2015
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2015
Marcin
Marcin rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2013
  • Birds: A Guide to Familiar American Birds
  • The Origin Of The Universe
  • A Field Guide to Stars and Planets (Peterson Field Guides)
  • Physics for Poets
  • The Universe Next Door: The Making of Tomorrow's Science
  • Atlas of the Universe
  • Conceptual Physics
  • Geons, Black Holes, and Quantum Foam: A Life in Physics
  • Taming the Infinite: The Story of Mathematics from the First Numbers to Chaos Theory
  • Quintessence: The Mystery of Missing Mass in the Universe
  • Dark Cosmos: In Search of Our Universe's Missing Mass and Energy
4220886
Timothy Ferris is the author of a dozen books (most recently The Science of Liberty), plus 200 articles and essays, and three documentary films—"The Creation of the Universe," “Life Beyond Earth,” and “Seeing in the Dark”—seen by over 20 million viewers.

Ferris produced the Voyager phonograph record, an artifact of human civilization containing music and sounds of Earth launched aboard the twin Voy
More about Timothy Ferris...