Start by marking “Lady: My Life as a Bitch” as Want to Read:
Lady: My Life as a Bitch

Lady: My Life as a Bitch

A flirtatious, confident and rebellious teenager is transformed into an understandably confused and frightened dog by a tramp with magical powers. Sandra has a lot of growing up to do, quickly, to survive as a scrounging stray in a competitive and rough dog's world. She must do the clearest thinking of her life to work out whether she wants to recover her humanity, and if ...more
Published September 6th 2001 by Andersen (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady

John Naylor
I received this book for free via Goodreads First Reads.

It is the story of a girl who is turned into a dog. I think this is a fascinating concept and the author handled it well. It asks questions as to what it means to be human (or a dog) and the love of dogs is apparent throughout the book.

Herein lies the problem. The main character makes a great dog and her life as a dog is interesting as well as good to read. The flashbacks to where she was human and having human relationships slow the story
Geli
May 02, 2012 Geli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, brit-lit, own-it, england
Once again Melvin Burgess captures my imagination. This was really great read. I couldnt put it down. The ending is totally not what I expected but expect from Burgess. I think the lesson with this novel is to live your life the way you want it.
Jes Jones
Jan 27, 2016 Jes Jones rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's been awhile since I last had a hard time getting through a book (years, in fact) but this novel was like swallowing nails. I wasn't able to get through even the FIRST chapter.

This is what I read: Girl (Sandra) does drugs and thinks she's cool, she's a whore and thinks she's cool. She is overly interested in all attention being on her, whether it's boys wanting to sleep with her or girls wanting to be her - she thrives on the attention/jealousy of others. So, she's just a general slut that
Lena
Jun 20, 2011 Lena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 16 or older who like weird, funny books
Shelves: favorite-authors
When I tell people what this book is about, it sounds stupid even to me. "Um, it's about a girl who gets turned into a dog, and like, she's really trying to turn back into a human, you know, man?"

Yeah, sounds like a stoned person came up with that plot.

But, somehow Melvin Burgess pulls it off. Probably because he's Melvin Burgess, and pretty close to a literary god, or at least a genius. This is just one more Burgess book that I could not put down. I read it straight through, start to finish. H
Jenny
Apr 24, 2014 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lady: My Life as Bitch follows seventeen-year-old Sandra Francy, who is accidentally turned into a dog by a homeless alcoholic. She battles teenage-girl battles and doggy battles all at once, trying to figure out if being human is worth the effort.

I don't read a lot of young adult fiction, so I don't really have much to compare this too, but it was certainly an enjoyable and engaging read. I thought some of the points were hammered home a little too much, but perhaps that's because I'm coming at
Kadie D♥
Apr 03, 2013 Kadie D♥ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the idea/storyline of the book was pretty interesting, so I really looked forward to reading it. Although I didn't really dislike it, I don't like it either. The storyline had me interested and I have to say the story is very thought through. It had a quite realistic turn of events. Sandra was with her attitude and sluttiness not really the perfect heroine nor very likable, but the way she reacted was pretty credible. The weirdest and annoying character was Adam in my pov, and the char ...more
Lisa
Feb 22, 2009 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sep 30, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This novel is a great concept, but I hated the character which made the book hard to read. [return]Language and sex in this one. Well, sex as a dog.[return][return]When she is suddenly transformed into a dog, seventeen-year-old Sandra is panicked at first, but soon she realized the benefits of the transformation and just goes with it, in an unusual and amusing talke about a fun-loving girl gone out of control.
Eve
Jun 25, 2008 Eve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Almost felt like it was written by someone who has actually been a dog. Vivid, precise descriptions, very original plot and unique viewpoint.
But is the writer wagging his finger to teenagers for leading a "reckless" lifestyle, saying watch out, things might turn really really bad, or is he rewarding his Lady with what she always longed for, her absolute freedom?
Either way, she's a flexible girl. She'll manage somehow and she'll enjoy herself in the process.
SALLY WHITE
May 26, 2015 SALLY WHITE marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Goodreads for sending me this book. Although listed as a teen read, I am a middle aged woman, but thought I would give it a go. It was a great read & I read it avidly in two days. I really enjoyed it & would recommend it for teenagers aged 15 and up. The book does deal with many teenage issues.
Alex
I only read a little more than half of this book. Before I started reading it, I had very high expectations. I thought it was going to be a hilarious book about a girl being turned into a dog. Unfortunately, thats not how it turned out. I simply became uninterested and bored. So I gave it back to the library. Maybe I will try reading it again sometime, but probably not anytime soon.
Adela Ramos
Metamorphosis or the arrogance of adolescence.

Burgess' story of metamorphosis works less as an animal narrative that explores animalness and more as an essay on the arrogance and turbulence of adolescence. It is well-written, humorous, and often surprising. A light reading that pleases.
Yolo Jelly
Feb 26, 2014 Yolo Jelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was the best! I really had so much fun reading it. I most enjoyed when Lady reflected on her life. also when she saw that her family was the most important thing in her life. that no matter what you are suppost to appriciate you family and what is being given to you. this also made me think mostly the same thing I now apriciate a lot more my family, an friends
Aimee Lowe
Not as original as the reviews say, it's pretty much a teen version of Metamorphosis. The main character is very similar to Gemma from his early (amazing) book Junk (or Smack depending on what country you're from). So not a likeable character you can feel sympathy for. It's ok.
Tim
Jul 13, 2015 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, teen
It's an interesting idea this species swapping but I do think it was better dealt with by James Herbert. This book just couldn't hold my attention, the stories and the characters lacked depth.

My copy was free via Goodreads giveaways
Claire
Mar 23, 2016 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coming of age meets being a dog. Great book, quick read for me and i enjoyed all the doggy references and the way life as a dog was described. Dogs have it good, life is fast and free and who wants to do homework get a job get married have kids and die anyway?
Audrey Babkirk Wellons
Teen gets turned into a dog, but then finds she ends up loving the freedom of her new life as a pooch. I can’t imagine any adult would condone this for a teen (there’s a bit about the joys of sex “doggy-style”), but I loved the frank, unconventional attitude and the surprising ending.
Katherine
Jun 16, 2012 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book so many times! I'm 24, but the first time I read it at 14 I loved it! It was my favourite book, but having read it recently as an adult, it's not as great (which is why it's marked down by 1 star). A definite good one for teens though :)
Laura Moore
I received this book for free via Goodreads First Reads.

This really wasn't my kind of book nor was it what I was expecting. One scene in particular kind of made me feel uncomfortable. The writing was good and the story was well thought out but the idea, unfortunately, just wasn't for me.
Michael
Jun 10, 2007 Michael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
A terrible book that believes it is "daring" but really ends up only being dull. Couldn't finish it quickly enough. Ugh.
Shanna
Odd story. Entertaining though. Read it a long time ago, so the story isn't all that fresh in my mind, but I remember enjoying it.
Melanie
Jul 29, 2010 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really explains what a wiley teenage girl goes through, or so I've heard from teenage girls who can relate : )
Sonny Sunny Sasha
A young lady had a chance to experience life as a girl, as well as, a female dog. As she goes through the transition, she started to wonder what is it like to be human, what makes us who we are?
Apollos Michio
Oct 10, 2016 Apollos Michio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An original story that tells a lot about ordinary life and the frustrations of a teenager. It inspires us to think about the meaning of life.
Denise Nicholl
Jul 06, 2015 Denise Nicholl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this as part of the Goodreads Giveaways.

Essentially following the story of a wild teenage who gets turned into a dog, then assesses her life as both a human and a dog. Completely weird and not my normal type of book, but really enjoyed it. It was easy to read, funny throughout and thought provoking.
It's quite a short book - not a big tome - so would recommend anyone looking for something different to give it a go.
Neri.
May 07, 2015 Neri. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd say that this is pretty contravesial, at some point, and also saddening book. It tells the story about a girl who got turned into a dog. There was a tv show in early 2000's I think with a similar premise but this book elevated the story into more interesting level.
Meagan
Dec 21, 2007 Meagan rated it really liked it
Lady, My Life as a Bitch was assigned in a children's literature class I look in an MA course. As for whether or not it is appropriate for a child or not is still under debate, but the book is thought provoking and a really good read.
Emily
Apr 08, 2008 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An okay book. interesting.
Laura Galbraith
Found this book a bit random, unsure if i like it or not......
Carnation
Carnation rated it it was ok
Dec 10, 2013
  • Crow Girl (Crow Girl, #1)
  • Martyn Pig
  • Love Letters
  • Mates, Dates, and Diamond Destiny (Mates, Dates, #11)
  • The Museum's Secret (The Remarkable Adventures of Tom Scatterhorn, Book 1)
  • After Hours (The Party Room, #3)
  • Serial killer: storie di ossessione omicida
  • Heaven Eyes
Melvin Burgess is a British author of children's fiction. His first book, The Cry of the Wolf, was published in 1990. He gained a certain amount of notoriety in 1996 with the publication of Junk, which was published in the shadow of the film of Irvine Welsh's Trainspotting, and dealt with the trendy and controversial idea of heroin-addicted teenagers. Junk soon became, at least in Britain, one of ...more
More about Melvin Burgess...