Start by marking “Lady: My Life as a Bitch” as Want to Read:
Lady: My Life as a Bitch

Lady: My Life as a Bitch

3.0 of 5 stars 3.00  ·  rating details  ·  537 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A flirtatious, confident and rebellious teenager is transformed into an understandably confused and frightened dog by a tramp with magical powers. Sandra has a lot of growing up to do, quickly, to survive as a scrounging stray in a competitive and rough dog's world. She must do the clearest thinking of her life to work out whether she wants to recover her humanity, and if ...more
Published September 6th 2001 by Andersen (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady

Geli
Once again Melvin Burgess captures my imagination. This was really great read. I couldnt put it down. The ending is totally not what I expected but expect from Burgess. I think the lesson with this novel is to live your life the way you want it.
Jenny
Lady: My Life as Bitch follows seventeen-year-old Sandra Francy, who is accidentally turned into a dog by a homeless alcoholic. She battles teenage-girl battles and doggy battles all at once, trying to figure out if being human is worth the effort.

I don't read a lot of young adult fiction, so I don't really have much to compare this too, but it was certainly an enjoyable and engaging read. I thought some of the points were hammered home a little too much, but perhaps that's because I'm coming at
Lena
Aug 22, 2011 Lena rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 16 or older who like weird, funny books
Shelves: favorite-authors
When I tell people what this book is about, it sounds stupid even to me. "Um, it's about a girl who gets turned into a dog, and like, she's really trying to turn back into a human, you know, man?"

Yeah, sounds like a stoned person came up with that plot.

But, somehow Melvin Burgess pulls it off. Probably because he's Melvin Burgess, and pretty close to a literary god, or at least a genius. This is just one more Burgess book that I could not put down. I read it straight through, start to finish. H
Kadie D♥
I thought the idea/storyline of the book was pretty interesting, so I really looked forward to reading it. Although I didn't really dislike it, I don't like it either. The storyline had me interested and I have to say the story is very thought through. It had a quite realistic turn of events. Sandra was with her attitude and sluttiness not really the perfect heroine nor very likable, but the way she reacted was pretty credible. The weirdest and annoying character was Adam in my pov, and the char ...more
Lisa
Leah Hana
A young lady had a chance to experience life as a girl, as well as, a female dog. As she goes through the transition, she started to wonder what is it like to be human, what makes us who we are?
K.A. Cross
Really good story. Loved it!!!
Eve
Almost felt like it was written by someone who has actually been a dog. Vivid, precise descriptions, very original plot and unique viewpoint.
But is the writer wagging his finger to teenagers for leading a "reckless" lifestyle, saying watch out, things might turn really really bad, or is he rewarding his Lady with what she always longed for, her absolute freedom?
Either way, she's a flexible girl. She'll manage somehow and she'll enjoy herself in the process.
This novel is a great concept, but I hated the character which made the book hard to read. [return]Language and sex in this one. Well, sex as a dog.[return][return]When she is suddenly transformed into a dog, seventeen-year-old Sandra is panicked at first, but soon she realized the benefits of the transformation and just goes with it, in an unusual and amusing talke about a fun-loving girl gone out of control.
Alex
I only read a little more than half of this book. Before I started reading it, I had very high expectations. I thought it was going to be a hilarious book about a girl being turned into a dog. Unfortunately, thats not how it turned out. I simply became uninterested and bored. So I gave it back to the library. Maybe I will try reading it again sometime, but probably not anytime soon.
Yolo Jelly
This book was the best! I really had so much fun reading it. I most enjoyed when Lady reflected on her life. also when she saw that her family was the most important thing in her life. that no matter what you are suppost to appriciate you family and what is being given to you. this also made me think mostly the same thing I now apriciate a lot more my family, an friends
Audrey Babkirk Wellons
Teen gets turned into a dog, but then finds she ends up loving the freedom of her new life as a pooch. I can’t imagine any adult would condone this for a teen (there’s a bit about the joys of sex “doggy-style”), but I loved the frank, unconventional attitude and the surprising ending.
Katherine
I have read this book so many times! I'm 24, but the first time I read it at 14 I loved it! It was my favourite book, but having read it recently as an adult, it's not as great (which is why it's marked down by 1 star). A definite good one for teens though :)
Meagan
Lady, My Life as a Bitch was assigned in a children's literature class I look in an MA course. As for whether or not it is appropriate for a child or not is still under debate, but the book is thought provoking and a really good read.
Shanna
Odd story. Entertaining though. Read it a long time ago, so the story isn't all that fresh in my mind, but I remember enjoying it.
Michael
A terrible book that believes it is "daring" but really ends up only being dull. Couldn't finish it quickly enough. Ugh.
Melanie
This book really explains what a wiley teenage girl goes through, or so I've heard from teenage girls who can relate : )
Connie
Didn't actually finish this one, but the title is so good I had to give it two stars.
Maija
This is one of the most distinctive books I rememberreading at Simmons.
Laura Galbraith
Found this book a bit random, unsure if i like it or not......
Nesta
I don't know if it was brilliant, but I enjoyed it.
Dominika
It was so bad, that I couldn't finish!
Emily
An okay book. interesting.
Madhoo
Madhoo marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Marta
Marta added it
May 22, 2015
Kali
Kali marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
  • Crow Girl (Crow Girl, #1)
  • Tough Love
  • Martyn Pig
  • Mates, Dates, and Chocolate Cheats (Mates, Dates, #10)
  • Witches' Night Out
  • Cain a Mystery
  • Starseeker
  • Boy2Girl
  • Heaven Eyes
Melvin Burgess is a British author of children's fiction. His first book, The Cry of the Wolf, was published in 1990. He gained a certain amount of notoriety in 1996 with the publication of Junk, which was published in the shadow of the film of Irvine Welsh's Trainspotting, and dealt with the trendy and controversial idea of heroin-addicted teenagers. Junk soon became, at least in Britain, one of ...more
More about Melvin Burgess...
Smack Doing It The Hit Bloodtide (Blood, #1) Sara's Face