Start by marking “The Feelings Book: The Care & Keeping of Your Emotions” as Want to Read:
The Feelings Book: The Care & Keeping of Your Emotions

The Feelings Book: The Care & Keeping of Your Emotions (American Girl Library)

This companion to The Care and Keeping of You helps girls understand their emotions and learn to deal with them.
Published September 1st 2002 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published January 1st 2002)

Tia
Jan 17, 2011 Tia rated it really liked it
It was preety funny because i was reading this when i accidently dropped it into the toilet, after just recieving it. My parents thought it was funny to ask "and how do you FEEL about that?" haha. very funny. anyways, i had to order a new one!
Irene
Jun 25, 2015 Irene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Growing Girls Old Enough to Know the Word "Suicide"
Shelves: children, non-fiction
After reading The Care & Keeping of You 1: The Body Book for Younger Girls, I had really high hopes for this book. It was good, but I'm afraid it wasn't everything that I had hoped for.

It's worth noting that this book briefly mentions PMS, so it's probably best read after a book like The Care & Keeping of You 1: The Body Book for Younger Girls, which introduces the concept of menstruation.

On the plus side, the book helps to normalize the many emotions a growing girl might be feeling. I
عبدالله
I had to read this book before giving it to my daughter. Since our culture is different than the american culture, prior reading by one of the parents is important.

I found the book great for (pre-period) girls regardless of the culture or background of the reader. Of course, if this book is customized and rewritten for our culture it would definitely be outstanding and I would have given it 5 stars (or 4) depending on the quality of rewriting the book.

What I liked most about the book is the warm
Shelli
Sep 26, 2015 Shelli rated it really liked it
I got this book for my daughter because I've noticed her emotions are a bit more roller-coasterish than they used to be.

The book is easy to read and full of age appropriate examples of a variety of emotions. It also contains solutions and ideas for successful problem solving and managing the stress that may come with these emotions.

My daughter read The Care and Keeping of You and it has prompted many mother/daughter discussions [discussions I was afraid to have with my own mother], so I'm hope
Tasha
Apr 26, 2012 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: because-im-a-mom
My daughter is almost 9 years old. She had always been an emotional child. My husband and I have tried so many different ways/conversations to try and teach her how to deal with them and to also explain that others have similar feelings without much success. So, as she loves to read and loves books I thought I would take that approach. It worked really well. This is a great book for young girls who need to know that feelings are normal, other people have them, we all have to learn how to express ...more
Cynthia
Apr 10, 2016 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Again, a vehicle for conversation with my daughter. It worked better than anticipated. We had conversations we might not have had. I shared some of my own experiences with her, and it seemed to normalize things. It's good for children to know that adults have similar issues/feelings/challenges, as children, in their lives. She was surprised by some of the more extreme examples of upset and emotional situations. We converse quite easily, share a lot with each other AND this book was a way to enha ...more
Jessica
Mar 09, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Here's the deal. Sometimes your child needs to hear the message from someone besides you. I have a pre teen who is emotionally charged. She finally agreed to read this book and guess what? She's already put in place a couple of strategies it suggests to help her identify and manage her emotions. And when asked if she learned anything new by reading it, she answered "It pretty much says everything you've said to me before." But NOW she's willing to try it :-)
That, my friends is a good, good thin
(ha)Ley
Jun 24, 2013 (ha)Ley rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
My mom bought me this when I first entered middle school (2 years ago). This book has useful tips about handling your emotions, and it is helpful. I recommend it to teenagers and pre-teens (GIRLS ages 11-17. this book is only meant for girls) or parents whose daughters are that age.
This is a good book. It might not be something that you want to read, but you might need it. I didn't want to read it at first, because I thought it was dumb, but I eventually read it and it was helpful.
Amber
May 23, 2010 Amber rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: my friends
This book tells me a lot about my feelings. It can tell me lots of ways to control my feelings, too. I like everything in the book. I love the quiz in the back and I got all the answers right! After I read this book 10 times, I'm going to give it to somebody else that I love. My favorite chapter is "HELP!" There is nothing I didn't like.

By Emma, age 7
Holly
Jul 01, 2010 Holly rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorites of the American Girl Library. It teaches kids that any feeling is okay (even anger and sadness). It's how we deal with those emotions that count, and it gives helpful advice on recognizing the feeling, and what to do with it. Every adult needs to read this as a reminder.
Sherry Barber
Jan 07, 2012 Sherry Barber rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Schoolagers and tweens
Recommended to Sherry by: Granddaughter
"But remember," the books summarizes, "with every angry word (and with every smile) you are painting a picture of yourself..."

I like the illustrations that go with each chapter. The book identifies different feelings, suggests some causes for these feelings, and lists a few solutions to try when you don't know what to do. It wouldn't be bad reading for some adults!
Karen
Sep 20, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
One of the American Girl series, discusses feelings coming into young adulthood. Companion to The Care & Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls, this one deals with advice on handling the roller coaster of emotions... good advice. Having only grandsons, I wonder if there isn't something similar written for the young male experience.
Heather
Feb 02, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing
This book was very enjoyable to read. It had good explanations of the different emotions that affect us and how we can identify them and best show them or deal with them. It gave very practical advice and easy to understand tasks to do and think about. It had charming illustrations on each page and an easy to read layout. I recommend it for all.
Teniesha Kessler
Mar 03, 2013 Teniesha Kessler rated it it was amazing
A positive approach to managing a variety of difficult emotions for girls. Explains the science behind fight-or-flight and offers real-life examples to aid in exploring each major emotion. Even as a 23-year-old, I found this incredibly helpful!
Holly
Jul 27, 2009 Holly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: girls-10-12
This book helps girls to be able to recognize there feelings properly because sometime they act angry when they are sad or otherwise mixed up this just helps them to understand how mixed up their emotions can be.
Lauriej
Jul 21, 2008 Lauriej rated it it was amazing
This is a must have book for anyone with a daughter- no matter what age! It is one that will hopefully come off the bookshelf a couple times a year. Carlie had her nose buried in it for 2 days straight and really learned from it
PWRL
Dec 09, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
E
Jessica Lauber
Jun 24, 2013 Jessica Lauber rated it really liked it
Interactive. Relatable. Provides solutions for dealing with emotional situations. Female oriented but relevant for males. Helpful ideas for the classroom.
Keri
Aug 24, 2015 Keri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Also read this book in thinking about my niece who is 10...some additional information and will be a good accompaniment to The Care and Keeping of You book.
Hannah
Feb 02, 2015 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book because it discuses your feelings
Janelle
Embarrassingly enough, I read this as an adult, not a child. Good reminders for recognizing and analyzing feelings.
Ana
Jan 16, 2012 Ana rated it really liked it
Helps me control my crying emotions.
Eva Szlavicz
Feb 24, 2014 Eva Szlavicz rated it it was amazing
It is very useful not only for teenagers.
Flower
Oct 17, 2012 Flower rated it liked it
I think this book helped me a lot with all of the feelings I had and didn't know how or what they meant to me before I dead this book.
Ceira Willett
Oct 08, 2013 Ceira Willett rated it it was amazing
great book after I read it made feel so much better.
Cameron
Shelves: read-wtih-mom, 2013
:) Great book
Meg
Jun 09, 2009 Meg rated it it was amazing
This book also has good info.
Alissandra D.
Jun 03, 2011 Alissandra D. rated it liked it
it does not work for me.
Catherine Bernier
GREAT

Fantastic.answered SO many of my questions.i highly recommend this for girls going through puberty. Keep it up American girl authors!
  • Yikes! A Smart Girl's Guide to Surviving Tricky, Sticky, Icky Situations
  • The Care & Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls (American Girl Library)
  • A Smart Girls Guide to Friendship Troubles: Dealing With Fights, Being Left Out and the  Whole Popularity thing
  • A Smart Girl's Guide To Style: How To Have Fun With Fashion, Shop Smart, And Let Your Personal Style Shine Through (American Girl)
  • Hair: Styling Tips and Tricks for Girls (American Girl Library)
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Starting Middle School: Everything You Need to Know About Juggling More Homework, More Teachers, and More Friends
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Staying Home Alone: A Girl's Guide to Feeling Safe and Having Fun
  • Tear Up This Book!: The Sticker, Stencil, Stationery, Games, Crafts, Doodle, and Journal Book for Girls!
  • Chrissa Stands Strong
  • What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Anxiety
  • Imprisoned in the Golden City
  • Very Funny, Elizabeth (American Girls: Felicity)
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Liking Herself, Even on the Bad Days: The Secrets to Trusting Yourself, Being Your Best & Never Letting the Bad Days Bring You Down
  • A Terrible Thing Happened
  • The Care and Keeping of You 2: The Body Book for Older Girls
Dr. Lynda Madison is the author of The Feelings Book and is a coauthor of What I Wish You Knew. A licensed psychologist and the director of family support and psychological services at Children’s Hospital in Omaha‚ Nebraska‚ Madison is also the author of Parenting with Purpose and Keep Talking: A Mother-Daughter Guide to the Preteen Years. She lives in Omaha.
More about Lynda Madison...

American Girl Library (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • The Care & Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls (American Girl Library)
  • The Care and Keeping of Friends
  • Friends: Making Them & Keeping Them [With 5 Mini Friendship Posters]
  • Stand Up for Yourself & Your Friends: Dealing with Bullies and Bossiness, and Finding a Better Way
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Manners: The Secrets to Grace, Confidence, and Being Your Best
  • Yikes! A Smart Girl's Guide to Surviving Tricky, Sticky, Icky Situations
  • Real Beauty: 101 Ways to Feel Great About You (American Girl Library)
  • The Big Book Of Help (American Girl Library (Paperback))
  • More Help! (American Girl Library)
  • Clutter Control: Crafts and Tips to Organize Your Backpack, Your Bedroom, Your Locker, Your Life (American Girl Library)