Start by marking “The Feelings Book: The Care & Keeping of Your Emotions” as Want to Read:
The Feelings Book: The Care & Keeping of Your Emotions

The Feelings Book: The Care & Keeping of Your Emotions (American Girl Library)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  584 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
This companion to The Care and Keeping of You helps girls understand their emotions and learn to deal with them.
Published September 1st 2002 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Feelings Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Feelings Book

Tia
Jan 17, 2011 Tia rated it really liked it
It was preety funny because i was reading this when i accidently dropped it into the toilet, after just recieving it. My parents thought it was funny to ask "and how do you FEEL about that?" haha. very funny. anyways, i had to order a new one!
Shelli
Sep 26, 2015 Shelli rated it really liked it
I got this book for my daughter because I've noticed her emotions are a bit more roller-coasterish than they used to be.

The book is easy to read and full of age appropriate examples of a variety of emotions. It also contains solutions and ideas for successful problem solving and managing the stress that may come with these emotions.

My daughter read The Care and Keeping of You and it has prompted many mother/daughter discussions [discussions I was afraid to have with my own mother], so I'm hope
Heather Hile
Feb 02, 2016 Heather Hile rated it it was amazing
This book was very enjoyable to read. It had good explanations of the different emotions that affect us and how we can identify them and best show them or deal with them. It gave very practical advice and easy to understand tasks to do and think about. It had charming illustrations on each page and an easy to read layout. I recommend it for all.
Tasha
Apr 26, 2012 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: because-im-a-mom
My daughter is almost 9 years old. She had always been an emotional child. My husband and I have tried so many different ways/conversations to try and teach her how to deal with them and to also explain that others have similar feelings without much success. So, as she loves to read and loves books I thought I would take that approach. It worked really well. This is a great book for young girls who need to know that feelings are normal, other people have them, we all have to learn how to express ...more
Kari Olfert
Dec 13, 2014 Kari Olfert rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome!! We read a few pages a day and it is great for helping the kids put their feelings into words and internally understanding how they are feeling.
Janelle
Embarrassingly enough, I read this as an adult, not a child. Good reminders for recognizing and analyzing feelings.
Jill
Oct 12, 2014 Jill rated it really liked it
This is a great series for children and parents to read together.
Eva Szlavicz
Feb 24, 2014 Eva Szlavicz rated it it was amazing
It is very useful not only for teenagers.
Jessica
Mar 09, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Here's the deal. Sometimes your child needs to hear the message from someone besides you. I have a pre teen who is emotionally charged. She finally agreed to read this book and guess what? She's already put in place a couple of strategies it suggests to help her identify and manage her emotions. And when asked if she learned anything new by reading it, she answered "It pretty much says everything you've said to me before." But NOW she's willing to try it :-)
That, my friends is a good, good thin
Haley  *don't touch the sleeping pills*
My mom bought me this when I first entered middle school (2 years ago). This book has useful tips about handling your emotions, and it is helpful. I recommend it to teenagers and pre-teens (GIRLS ages 11-17. this book is only meant for girls) or parents whose daughters are that age.
This is a good book. It might not be something that you want to read, but you might need it. I didn't want to read it at first, because I thought it was dumb, but I eventually read it and it was helpful.
♡ Carla
Nov 06, 2014 ♡ Carla rated it really liked it
Good pictures, easy to understand.
Sherry Barber
Jan 30, 2012 Sherry Barber rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Schoolagers and tweens
Recommended to Sherry by: Granddaughter
"But remember," the books summarizes, "with every angry word (and with every smile) you are painting a picture of yourself..."

I like the illustrations that go with each chapter. The book identifies different feelings, suggests some causes for these feelings, and lists a few solutions to try when you don't know what to do. It wouldn't be bad reading for some adults!
Amber
May 25, 2010 Amber rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: my friends
This book tells me a lot about my feelings. It can tell me lots of ways to control my feelings, too. I like everything in the book. I love the quiz in the back and I got all the answers right! After I read this book 10 times, I'm going to give it to somebody else that I love. My favorite chapter is "HELP!" There is nothing I didn't like.

By Emma, age 7
Karen
Sep 20, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
One of the American Girl series, discusses feelings coming into young adulthood. Companion to The Care & Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls, this one deals with advice on handling the roller coaster of emotions... good advice. Having only grandsons, I wonder if there isn't something similar written for the young male experience.
Holly
Jul 01, 2010 Holly rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorites of the American Girl Library. It teaches kids that any feeling is okay (even anger and sadness). It's how we deal with those emotions that count, and it gives helpful advice on recognizing the feeling, and what to do with it. Every adult needs to read this as a reminder.
Teniesha Kessler
Mar 03, 2013 Teniesha Kessler rated it it was amazing
A positive approach to managing a variety of difficult emotions for girls. Explains the science behind fight-or-flight and offers real-life examples to aid in exploring each major emotion. Even as a 23-year-old, I found this incredibly helpful!
Lauriej
Jul 21, 2008 Lauriej rated it it was amazing
This is a must have book for anyone with a daughter- no matter what age! It is one that will hopefully come off the bookshelf a couple times a year. Carlie had her nose buried in it for 2 days straight and really learned from it
Holly
Jul 27, 2009 Holly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: girls-10-12
This book helps girls to be able to recognize there feelings properly because sometime they act angry when they are sad or otherwise mixed up this just helps them to understand how mixed up their emotions can be.
Nikki
Oct 16, 2013 Nikki rated it really liked it
I think this book is amazing and vey helpful for sensitive girls. I used to be pretty sensitive, but once I read this, it changes my life. If u haven't read this yet, u should really read it
Mery
Jun 04, 2013 Mery rated it it was amazing
I found it a great comfort and help, and I think it's a superb way to help teens and pre-teens learn how to manage their emotions before they become too overwhelming.
Julia
May 02, 2008 Julia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who have strong emotions (girls)
Recommended to Julia by: my parents gave it to me
This book tells you how to control your emotions. It also tells you why you yell at your parents for no reason, and the main reason is that you are becoming a teenager.
Jessica Lauber
Jun 24, 2013 Jessica Lauber rated it really liked it
Interactive. Relatable. Provides solutions for dealing with emotional situations. Female oriented but relevant for males. Helpful ideas for the classroom.
Flower
Jan 24, 2013 Flower rated it liked it
I think this book helped me a lot with all of the feelings I had and didn't know how or what they meant to me before I dead this book.
Julia
Oct 10, 2008 Julia rated it really liked it
even though this is kinda of meant for younger kids this actually helps me a lot!!! I can kind of relate to it at times! ha ha :-)
Jordan
Dec 10, 2011 Jordan rated it it was amazing
amazing book!! It helps me know when it's okay to let out my emotions and when to try and hold them back. Great going, AG!!!
RogueHireling
Apr 10, 2013 RogueHireling rated it really liked it
Decent book about emotions that how to name then and how to deal with them. Again very basic advice.
Bellanotte
A book I would give my child when they were coming to teen-hood. :)
Katie
Nov 05, 2008 Katie is currently reading it
i havent relly started it yet been busy reading other books
Ceira Willett
Oct 08, 2013 Ceira Willett rated it it was amazing
great book after I read it made feel so much better.
Ana
Jan 16, 2012 Ana rated it really liked it
Helps me control my crying emotions.
  • Yikes! A Smart Girl's Guide to Surviving Tricky, Sticky, Icky Situations
  • The Care & Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls (American Girl Library)
  • A Smart Girls Guide to Friendship Troubles: Dealing With Fights, Being Left Out and the  Whole Popularity thing
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Starting Middle School: Everything You Need to Know About Juggling More Homework, More Teachers, and More Friends
  • A Smart Girl's Guide To Style: How To Have Fun With Fashion, Shop Smart, And Let Your Personal Style Shine Through (American Girl)
  • Hair: Styling Tips and Tricks for Girls (American Girl Library (Paperback))
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Staying Home Alone: A Girl's Guide to Feeling Safe and Having Fun
  • Tear Up This Book!: The Sticker, Stencil, Stationery, Games, Crafts, Doodle, and Journal Book for Girls!
  • Very Funny, Elizabeth (American Girls: Felicity)
  • What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Anxiety
  • Imprisoned in the Golden City
  • Chrissa Stands Strong
  • Kaya and Lone Dog: A Friendship Story (American Girls: Kaya, #4)
  • The Care and Keeping of You 2: The Body Book for Older Girls
  • Julie Tells Her Story (American Girls: Julie, #2)
Dr. Lynda Madison is the author of The Feelings Book and is a coauthor of What I Wish You Knew. A licensed psychologist and the director of family support and psychological services at Children’s Hospital in Omaha‚ Nebraska‚ Madison is also the author of Parenting with Purpose and Keep Talking: A Mother-Daughter Guide to the Preteen Years. She lives in Omaha.
More about Lynda Madison...

American Girl Library (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • The Care & Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls (American Girl Library)
  • The Care and Keeping of Friends
  • Friends: Making Them & Keeping Them [With 5 Mini Friendship Posters]
  • Oops!: The Manners Guide for Girls
  • Stand Up for Yourself & Your Friends: Dealing with Bullies and Bossiness, and Finding a Better Way
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Manners: The Secrets to Grace, Confidence, and Being Your Best
  • Yikes! A Smart Girl's Guide to Surviving Tricky, Sticky, Icky Situations
  • Real Beauty: 101 Ways to Feel Great About You (American Girl Library)
  • The Big Book Of Help (American Girl Library (Paperback))
  • More Help! (American Girl Library)