Start by marking “The Care & Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls (American Girl Library)” as Want to Read:

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  1,909 ratings  ·  227 reviews
This "head-to-toe" guide answers all your questions, from hair care to healthy eating, bad breath to bras, periods to pimples, and everything in between. With tips, how-to's, letters from girls, and facts from the experts, here's straightforward advice you can really use.
Published September 1st 1998 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Care & Keeping of You, please sign up.

Rachel
Jun 08, 2008 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Girls, Mothers of Girls, Teachers of Girls
Recommended to Rachel by: my mom
Shelves: own-it, young-adult
When we were little, American Girl publications were a pretty big deal in our house. I had a subscription to the magazine and my sister and I had dolls and books that corresponded with those dolls. Of course, as I started to grow up the American Girl phenomenon was no longer something I was interested in, but this book was still really really helpful. My mom bought it for me and left it on my bed when I was at school. She understood that some of the issues of being a pre-teen (or just hitting th ...more
Brandy
Apr 01, 2008 Brandy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all pre-puberty girls
I bought this book for my almost 9 year old daughter. It was a great book for going over all the changes that would be happening in the near future. I love that it covers everything (with the exception of sex) but it lended itself so I could lead into that topic from the book. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has a daughter that is pre-puberty and you are looking for a way to have a talk about it. I also recommend doing what we did and having a girls night shopping, dinner and then sta ...more
Tasha
This book is part of the American Girl franchise and it shows.

Some positives and negatives:

The information seems well-balanced for the most part. There's talk about diversity (but ethnic, not gender-based, size-based, or anything-else-based), the urge to compare oneself to images of women/girls in the media, deets on boobies (shapes, sizes, care, how long they take to grow, bras, etc.), eating disorders, periods, etc. But it also does some all-over grooming advice that I found tedious and overl
Maggie
I would recommend most of this book (90% of it) for 9 year olds and up. Why? Because it talks about a ton of things you're dealing with right now. Things like exercise, hair care, washing yourself, teeth brushing, eating right, vitamins, ear car, eye care, stinky breath care, etc. But there was one section (the other 10%) that I think would be better for 10 or 11 year olds and up. I wouldn't recommend page 76 and 77 for 8 and 9 year olds. The illustrations are too much! My mom suggested just pap ...more
HeavyReader
Dec 18, 2011 HeavyReader rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: prepubescent girls and their parents/guardians
This book has a lot of good information for the 8 to 13 crowd. It gives "head to toe advice" on all the issues girls that age worry about: braces, shaving, periods, teasing, breasts, eating disorders, and zits (and even more).

I like the way the book says that removal of underarm hair is a personal decision, that some girls aren't bothered by having underarm hair. I also like that this book says there "no real reason to remove leg hair."

I really appreciate that the book emphasizes that who a girl
Giedra
Read this with my 8-year-old. Provided excellent framework for good conversations about all the changes that will come with puberty. Covers personal hygiene, nutrition, exercise, bras, menstruation (including diagrams showing how tampons work and details on the various things that pads or tampons are better for), and throughout, acknowledgement of all the weird ways that these things might make girls feel and how normal this is.

The book does not cover sex, so if you are looking for that you'll
Wendy
This is a great mother/daughter book! I read this book with my 10 year old daughter to teach her about all the changes that happen as you mature from a girl to a young woman. We had a lot of fun reading, laughing and enjoying this book together. She looked forward to it every evening, and so did I!

I don't want my girls to be embarassed or feel uncomfortable talking to me about the changes they are/will experience. This book has helped me get off to a healthy start with my daughter and was a gre
Sandra
Dec 05, 2007 Sandra rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mothers of daughters!
Standard book for every girl! A book which should precede Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. Like an owner's manual for girls ages 9-12. Includes very cute, simple explanations and cartoons about why our bodies change. I bought this for my friend's 5th grade daughter whose friends are starting their periods and can't understand what it is or why she hasn't gotten hers. She has a lot of questions her mother isn't prepared to answer, so this book should help fill in the blanks.
Marcie
If you're a mom with a 9 year old daughter, this is a MUST READ!! Then have your daughter read it because it's meant for her. :) This book opened conversations that I had attempted and failed miserably, and now we're able to talk openly about the things she's already beginning to notice, and things girls at school are already talking about. There are sections of the book that I'll also be going over with my 7 year old. Yep, his book is an extremely valuable resource!!
Isabel
This is a great book for girls to read that answers questions they might have about puberty in a reassuring, factual and straight-forward way. I appreciated how the book emphasizes the differences in each girl's experience, and each girl's body. Alternatives are offered (pad v. tampon, shave or not to shave?) with no bias and with enough information to help a girl feel confident in figuring out which option works for her.

The writing is simple, but the tone is not condescending. Information is p
Delicia
Genre: nonfiction; reference material
Topic: hygiene, exercise, self image, friendship, puberty,
Theme: taking care of one's body, liking oneself for who one is
Illustrations: the illustrations are bright and colorful. They are supportive of the text, and they also add another layer of information to the book.
Use: independent reading, research material
Reading level: Fluent
Literary elements: short articles

Thoughts:

The Care and Keeping of You: the Body Book for Girls is a reference book for young gi
Leah
I'm tempted to wryly use so many tags: drama, dystopia, epic, fantasy, horror, humor, idgi, mystery, nature and science, nipple- navel-gazing and melodrama, puzzles... but I'll be good.

Rachel suggested "period lit" as a name for my history shelf, and I immediately remembered this book, which is why that is never gonna be the name for my history shelf.
Christina
I got this for my daughter a while ago and I think it does an excellent job introducing lots of subjects about the body and how to care for it. It discusses more intimate subjects like developing breasts, pubic hair, periods, and even gives step-by-step instructions for how to put in a tampon and advice on shaving your armpits. However, most of the book deals with easier subjects, such as taking care of your hair, being active, eating right, and more. It does not discuss sexuality at all. I HIGH ...more
Jodi
Dec 18, 2011 Jodi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young girls, parents
Starting to think about having "the talk" with my daughter as she is in a hurry to grow up. It is hard to find a book that is appropriate for a nine year old that addresses simply their own body and just what she needs to know now. I have to say this book does a pretty good job though - nothing inappropriate or too advanced for her. The things she needs to know now are well-written and this is probably the book I will buy to have the talk with her in the next few months or so. Eek! How can my ba ...more
Thecajungirl
This is an excellent book for all young girls. I introduced this book when my girls were very young. They read this cover to cover so often that I had to buy another copy. This book answers a lot of questions young children have but do not necessarily want to initially discuss with their parent(s). My girls often referred to the book when they had a question that was beyond the scope of the book. I keep this book along with four similar American Girl books and all of them are well worn. This boo ...more
Darcy Stovall
I was always in the American Girl section of the bookstore as a kid, and I would get so excited whenever I saw something new. Being so young, I didn't fully understand what this book was about when I asked my dad to buy it for me, but I'm assuming he figured it would save him an awkward conversation because I remember him answering yes pretty abruptly.

I have vague memories of bringing this book to daycare and not thinking anything of it, until a couple of my classmates started laughing at the bo
Tammy
A good introduction to body changes for girls. Covers changes from head to toe. I have an 8 year old I plan to read it with. Is it really time for those discussions already?!
Dawn
Definitely a book to read with your emerging tween especially if puberty, etc is covered in school and she has questions but not quite sure where to start. This book served as a great tool for my daughter to begin a dialogue with me about the topic of "growing up" and what that means specifically for her.
Piper Gilkison
This wonderous book explains to girls that:
1. You should love your body
2. You are beautiful!
3. It explains everything about a girls body in a loving and caring environment!

Read this book! BUT NO BOYS ALLOWED!
KristenR
This book is just what I needed to start a dialog with my 9 year old daughter. It explains the basics in a very clear and age appropriate way.
Jodi R.
I got this book for my pre-teen daughter. I found it covered a lot of very important information in a frank and helpful way.

The book does not tackle sexuality, which is fine. However, there is an implication in the book that one can only get pregnant when older and "ready." I fear this might be misleading for kids, who might believe that they cannot get pregnant as a younger teen.

Overall, I think it is an excellent resource for kids - and parents who might be looking for ways to introduce impo
Jill
Oct 14, 2008 Jill rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pre-teen Girls, Mothers and Grandmothers of Preteen Girls
Recommended to Jill by: I Found it as a Best-seller on Amazon.com
by Valorie Schaefer
Edition: Paperback
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
Where Was This Book When I Was Growing Up?, October 7, 2008

Where was this book when I was growing up? What a great book for girls. As a mother of three girls and a grandmother of four girls, I give thumbs up to The Care & Keeping of You.

I began reading this book with my nine-year-old granddaughter, Autumn. She enjoyed learni
Rhica
christina
This is an excellent book, but the full five stars largely reflect the vileness of all the other books on this topic!

The Care and Keeping of you has most of the straight forward puberty related information a girl will need. And it is written in a non condescending way, which is nice.
Even though my daughter and I have talked about the puberty process at length, she really wanted a book that she could read on her own on the topic, and though I was skeptical due to the american girl branding, they
Emma Laskin
My curious younger daughter couldn't put this down the day I gave it to her. She was shy though, hiding under her covers with a flashlight while reading it, only to have me come in to her room to say that she was staying up too late. When I saw what she was doing, I quietly left her to her reading. The next day she had some very good questions which I hope I answered to her satisfaction.
Tasha
Great book for parents to read before you begin the discussion regarding the changes headed your daughters way. It really helps the parent to see inside the mind of the child and know where they are coming from vs. you bringing something to them that is from an adult perspective.

My daughter read this and really liked it. It was a great foundation and provided us with the opportunity to discuss the book which seemed to be easier than discussing her body or girls bodies - if that makes sense. It w
Shelli
Wonderful book to give or read with the young girls in your life. I read this book with my daughter and was able to chat about hormones, periods, acne, and everything else puberty will bring. Trying to just start a conversation about these topics could prove challenging but reading a section or two at a time really helped have the starting point for these need to talk about transformations.

A must have for all pre-teenage girls or parents.

Also I told my daughter "These changes may not be happeni
Beckie
I had been trying to find a book for my naive (in a good way) daughter to start talking about bodies but not to have "The Talk." Bonus for me - she LOVES American Girl anything! I was pleased reading this book with the subjects it went over and the discussion of topics it included but it was still geared toward a child - not a tell-all book. It was a great read for us to do together (we read one chapter at a sitting) and we've now discussed everything she'll be presented with later this year in ...more
Georgette Quinn
Read this with my 10 year old daughter. Great book to introduce body questions. It doesn't go into depth about everything. It touches on a bit of everything. That will open the door for any questions your child might have. (Or at least it did in our household)
Angie
Maybe 3.5 stars. I thought it was a helpful little book. If I were ready to take on discussing becoming a woman with my daughter (and if she were ready) we'd be using this book. I thought it was open enough to answer questions, but not inappropriately open. If I could get her to read it and just skip the chapters we're not ready for, that'd be perfect. There is a lot of basic information about taking care of your body in general-hair, skin, teeth, eyes, etc. Really, it's stuff we all try to teac ...more
akward. 8 58 Nov 19, 2014 02:00PM
  • The Feelings Book: The Care & Keeping of Your Emotions
  • Yikes! A Smart Girl's Guide to Surviving Tricky, Sticky, Icky Situations
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Starting Middle School: Everything You Need to Know About Juggling More Homework, More Teachers, and More Friends
  • A Smart Girls Guide to Friendship Troubles: Dealing With Fights, Being Left Out and the  Whole Popularity thing
  • Hair: Styling Tips and Tricks for Girls (American Girl Library (Paperback))
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Staying Home Alone: A Girl's Guide to Feeling Safe and Having Fun
  • The Care and Keeping of You 2: The Body Book for Older Girls
  • Julie Tells Her Story (American Girls: Julie, #2)
  • It's So Amazing!: A Book about Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families
  • The Period Book: Everything You Don't Want to Ask (But Need to Know)
  • Molly's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Molly, #3)
  • Welcome to Felicity's World · 1774: Growing Up in Colonial America (American Girls Collection)
  • Bravo, Mia! (American Girl of the Year)

American Girl Library (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • The Care and Keeping of Friends
  • Friends: Making Them & Keeping Them [With 5 Mini Friendship Posters]
  • The Feelings Book: The Care & Keeping of Your Emotions
  • Oops!: The Manners Guide for Girls
  • Stand Up for Yourself & Your Friends: Dealing with Bullies and Bossiness, and Finding a Better Way
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Manners: The Secrets to Grace, Confidence, and Being Your Best
  • Yikes! A Smart Girl's Guide to Surviving Tricky, Sticky, Icky Situations
  • Real Beauty: 101 Ways to Feel Great About You (American Girl Library)
  • The Big Book Of Help (American Girl Library (Paperback))
  • More Help! (American Girl Library (Middleton, Wisconsin).)
The Care and Keeping of You: The Body Book for Younger Girls, Revised Edition The Care & Keeping of YOU Collection (American Girl) The Care & Keeping of you 2 Book set:The Care and Keeping of You Book 1 & 2:American Girl (The Body Book for Younger Girls)