Start by marking “Aldo Leopold: A Fierce Green Fire” as Want to Read:
Aldo Leopold: A Fierce Green Fire

Aldo Leopold: A Fierce Green Fire

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Aldo Leopold, author of the classic A Sand County Almanac, founder of the field of wildlife management, and originator of the national wilderness system, is revealed in this short, illustrated biography by Marybeth Lorbiecki.

Leopold dedicated his life to answering the question: "How do we live on the land without spoiling it?" And his work and writings inspire millions of
Published January 1st 2005 by FalconGuides (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Aldo Leopold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aldo Leopold

suz
Jun 12, 2007 suz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Thos interested in the history of the environmental movement in the US
My favorite book is Sand County Almanac by Leopold. He's one of my super heroes. There's much to be learned from this book including the origin of the reference in the title to the 'fierce green light.'

It's been difficult to get Americans to develop even a shred of environmental sensitivity or understanding. Figures like Leopold were among the pioneers who saw the complex web of living things on earth and worked to develop a meaningful way of living among them.

(aside... I learned that he once bu
Melanie
Quick,but worthwhile read
Amy
It was great reading about Aldo's upbringing, but the writing was a bit drab. I'm glad it was a quick read!
Lindsey
I typically do not read biographies but Aldo Leopold is a hero not only because he is originally from Wisconsin but also because of his strides in writing the Sand County Almanac and environmentalism.

Favorite quote: Leopold firmly believe for years that if people depended on restrictive laws of the government to do their conserving for them game conservation would fail. Each person had to act with 'a respect for lving things.'
Judy
I was introduced to Aldo Leopold relatively late in my life. I fell in love with his Sand County Almanac and Thinking Like a Mountain. This is a lovely biography written in 1996 when when his daughters, Nina and Stella, were still alive. He was devoted to his family (all his children were Ph.d's) and to preserving the land for future generations.
Susan
Oct 27, 2009 Susan added it
This is a biography of a prominent conservationist, who came after John Muir. As biographies go, it was a bit dry, but i suspect will fill in some gaps of my education about the subject.
Jessica McCann
Interesting biography of the man who inspired generations of conservationists. Fabulous research for my historical novel-in-progress about the Dust Bowl.
Tara
It was so interesting to read about such an important man in the world of conservation and for Wisconsin. Lots of facts in an easy-to-read style.
Rob Corbett
A wonderful account of a man's life. For those interested in what made Leopold who he was, this will shed some light.
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Jackie Houser
Jackie Houser marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
A.O.
A.O. marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Rhiannon
Rhiannon marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Emily
Emily is currently reading it
May 17, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Cody Kamrowski
Cody Kamrowski marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Jessica Susser
Jessica Susser marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Katharine
Katharine marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Rebecca Wood
Rebecca Wood marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Youlia
Youlia marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sister Anne's Hands Escaping Titanic: A Young Girl's True Story of Survival Jackie's Bat Paul Bunyan's Sweetheart The Prairie That Nature Built