Start by marking “A Fierce Discontent: The Rise and Fall of the Progressive Movement in America, 1870-1920” as Want to Read:

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  240 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
With America's current and ever-widening gap between the rich and the poor and the constant threat of the disappearance of the middle class, the Progressive Era stands out as a time when the middle class had enough influence on the country to start its own revolution. Before the Progressive Era most Americans lived on farms, working from before sunrise to after sundown eve ...more
Published July 1st 2005 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published September 15th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Fierce Discontent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fierce Discontent

Kristi
Dec 11, 2012 Kristi rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic survey of an important historical era, as well as a remarkable synthesis - interesting, informative, and easy to read. The resonance of this time in American history with our contemporary political, economic, and social situations is both striking and useful. I would highly recommend this book.
Lauren Albert
Dec 30, 2011 Lauren Albert rated it really liked it
A good basic introduction to the era. I found interesting his discussion of the way WWI aided progressivism by giving the federal government unprecedented powers to regulate society and business. I thought McGerr had some unusual (to me anyway) perspectives that I don't recall reading about elsewhere. He believes that progressives promoted segregation.

“True to their mission to create a safe society for themselves and their children, the progressives turned to segregation as a way to halt danger
Brianna
This book read like a college student's thesis in my mind. It started out fairly well but increasingly felt like simply a one-sided presentation of the Progressive Movement. Great overview of the movement and its ideals, but not an in-depth look at the era.
Megan Marie
Sep 06, 2010 Megan Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I had to read for my seminar on the progressive and populist movements in America. Compared to the Hofstadter book I read last week this one is leaps and bounds ahead of that. I am not a huge fan of non-fiction as anyone who knows me can tell you, but this book was actually decent. The author really drug you into the story whether you wanted him to or not. He portrayed famous faces of the progressive movement as well as people who were simply affected by it. This book rea ...more
Caitlin Marineau
Dec 12, 2012 Caitlin Marineau rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
The early twentieth century was a period of great social upheaval. More and more people began questioning the power of big business in the country, questions about morality increasingly came to the forefront, and issues relating to immigration and segregation affected the entire country. In the midst of all these issues, progressives sought to remake the country into a “middle-class paradise,” and attempted to mold society in their image. In A Fierce Discontent McGerr demonstrates the radical ch ...more
Stuart
Mar 11, 2008 Stuart rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
History is often about a series of wars, so American history focuses on the Revolution, the Civil War, WWI, WWII, etc. To get a handle on the 19th Century (outside of the Civil War) I recommend 2 books. "The Rise of American Democracy: Jefferson to Lincoln" by Sean Wilentz which is an excellent history of the 1st 1/2 of 19th century America. And this book, "A Fierce Discontent: The Rise and Fall of the Progressive Movement in America, 1870-1920" to cover the period between Reconstruction and WWI ...more
Cindy Leighton
Jul 01, 2015 Cindy Leighton rated it really liked it
Shelves: us-history
The Progressive Movement has long been one of my favorite periods of US History - this book somewhat ruined that for me as I gathered a less idealistic image of the period. The first half of the book was fascinating and I couldn't put it down. Unfortunately the second half dragged. . . as if the author just needed to be sure he crammed in all the research he had done whether it was interesting and relevant or not.

Still love Teddy, despite his flaws.
Jessica Crabtree
Dec 26, 2015 Jessica Crabtree is currently reading it
I was given this book to read in one of my classes. I am enjoying it and just started it. I am a slow reader and have some memory problems so I figured if I started early for the semester then I will get through my books. I CANNOT PUT IT DOWN!!!
Zack
Aug 18, 2011 Zack rated it liked it
A good read, and pretty enjoyable considering it was one that was used for an upper level history course on the time frame(those readings are often quite dull). For what it contains, the book could be 4 stars. However, it shows a heavy bias towards unions, which is alright in the abstract but not as a work for historical learning and such. Also, it doesn't present the non-McGerr view on just about anything, so if a reader doesn't have a background in the subject, it can lead to a very skewed vie ...more
AskHistorians
Classic/textbook account of the Progressive Era and Movement.
Chris Burd
Nov 01, 2015 Chris Burd rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I will stress, as I have with other books, that my review is based on my enjoyment of the book as a casual reader of history. Unfortunately, I think my enjoyment of this particular book suffered because of my lack of familiarity with the time period. This is not intended as an introduction to the Progressive Movement.

Whitney
Feb 13, 2012 Whitney rated it liked it
Geared towards an undergraduate audience, I found his use of anecdotes and simplifications tedious. I wish he didn't try to cover so much, and instead focused on covering the actual movement and different types of people that may have been involved (i.e. not just white, middle-class people).
Aiesha
Dec 21, 2010 Aiesha rated it liked it
McGerr is a Fierce Pessimist but makes some good points. He does leave out some important perspective regarding the Gilded Age and key Progressive characters but otherwise it was a good read and provided a different but interesting perspective on the legacy of the Progressive Era.
Sue Campbell
Mar 28, 2015 Sue Campbell rated it liked it
Good read if you want to more about the subject material...
Brandon
Feb 21, 2009 Brandon rated it liked it
I think I would have liked this book better if it wasn't so pro-union.
Axel
Axel rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Melissa McHugh
Melissa McHugh is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2016
Michael Taylor
Michael Taylor is currently reading it
Feb 05, 2016
JOHN
JOHN marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Wes Bishop
Wes Bishop rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Robert Temple
Robert Temple marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Na Luu
Na Luu marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Amanda Thomas
Amanda Thomas marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
James Hearn
James Hearn marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Elizabeth Headrick
Elizabeth Headrick is currently reading it
Jan 22, 2016
  • Making a New Deal: Industrial Workers in Chicago, 1919-1939
  • Rebirth of a Nation: The Making of Modern America, 1877-1920
  • Atlantic Crossings: Social Politics in a Progressive Age
  • Over Here: The First World War and American Society
  • Barbarian Virtues: The United States Encounters Foreign Peoples at Home and Abroad, 1876-1917
  • The Populist Moment: A Short History of the Agrarian Revolt in America
  • The End of Reform: New Deal Liberalism in Recession and War
  • The Incorporation of America: Culture and Society in the Gilded Age
  • Manliness and Civilization: A Cultural History of Gender and Race in the United States, 1880-1917
  • Origins of the New South, 1877-1913
  • The Legacy of Conquest: The Unbroken Past of the American West
  • What Comes Naturally: Miscegenation Law and the Making of Race in America
  • Strangers in the Land: Patterns of American Nativism, 1860-1925
  • Standing at Armageddon: The United States, 1877-1919
  • Fighting for American Manhood: How Gender Politics Provoked the Spanish-American and Philippine-American Wars
  • Gender and Jim Crow: Women and the Politics of White Supremacy in North Carolina, 1896-1920
  • Suburban Warriors: The Origins of the New American Right