Start by marking “In the High Valley (Carr Family, #5)” as Want to Read:
In the High Valley (Carr Family, #5)

In the High Valley (Carr Family #5)

Lionel Young and his sister, Imogen, set out for the picturesque but remote High Valley in Colorado, leaving their hometown in Devonshire, England behind. Lionel wants to take the share in Geoffrey Templestowe’s cattle business. Imogen, owing to her prejudices against America and the American way of life, finds it hard to adjust to life over there.

Clover Templestowe, now h
Hardcover
Published August 31st 2004 by Girls Gone By (first published 1890)

To ask other readers questions about In the High Valley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the High Valley

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis CarrollLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank BaumHeidi by Johanna SpyriTreasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
Best Children's Books, 1850-1900
43rd out of 61 books — 19 voters
Plainsong by Kent HarufBlind Thrust by Samuel MarquisThe Coalition by Samuel MarquisThe Shining by Stephen KingThe Slush Pile Brigade by Samuel Marquis
Colorado
97th out of 184 books — 69 voters

More lists with this book...

Lillerina
The sole purpose of this book was to marry off the remaining children. Whatever.
Karin
Jul 09, 2012 Karin rated it it was ok
Not as good as the other Katy books but a nice closure to the series.

It felt like i was being told about their lives rather than being pulled into their lives.
Oct 19, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: school-stories
You definitely have to have read the previous books to enjoy this one.
A.R. Collins
Oct 19, 2014 A.R. Collins rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
None of the What Katy Did sequels lives up to the original for me, but this is something else. I did like the setting, and the idea of running a ranch in a valley with only a few family members in close proximity (I don't suppose for a moment that I've got what it takes to do something like that, but I love the idea all the same). The historical context was very interesting too, with the setting up of settlements in the western USA. Unfortunately, this wasn't enough to save this book.

For starter
Hilary Tesh
May 31, 2014 Hilary Tesh rated it liked it
The final volume of the five Carr Family stories in which Lionel and his sister Imogen join the small community in High Valley, where we are unsurprised to discover Elsie has married Clarence and the two couples, with their children, are all living happily under one roof. This is a story about adjustment of attitude and lifestyle, as Imogen finds it hard to settle into the valley at first but ...well to say more would to be to give away an albeit predictable but happy ending! Yet again, Susan ...more
Sue
Jan 29, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't even know that this existed until I found it free for my Kindle. Fifth in the series about 'Katy' and her family, this is set mostly in Colorado, and features a young English brother and sister, Lionel and Imogen, who move out to work with Clover and Elsie's husbands. I very much appreciated the gradual culture adjustment that Imogen struggles with, having gone through very similar feelings despite living nearly a century later.

The plot inevitably involves a rather too tidy double roma
Apr 11, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I can't believe she's done it again!

I was expecting this to be a continuation of Clover, especially as it's about the High Valley, but instead she's created another totally new story. I'm so impressed!

Starting in England and being in Imogene's perspective is so different and new. I know she'll tie into the Carr family somehow in the end, but I'm still so excited to find out how. I'm going to be sad when the series is over!

LATER
I loved that it was a travel story about crossing the U.S. I thought
Deborah
Sep 09, 2016 Deborah rated it it was amazing
In which Susan M Coolidge ties up all the loose ends by way of two English siblings (she does sibling relationships very well). I'm not entirely convinced Miss Joanna Carr will settle properly in the High Valley - she seems more of a society girl than Clover or Elsie, but maybe I've misjudged her.

Imogen is, frankly, a pain in the neck, but her home country is captured well (bits of Devon are still like that today) and her misplaced superiority rings very true. Nice to see the awful (but amusing)
Susan Grossey
May 14, 2014 Susan Grossey rated it liked it
I have been a Katy fan since I was little, and a few months ago my lovely husband came home clutching "Clover" and "In the High Valley" - the two sequels that I had not read.

To be honest, they are not quite as engaging as the original three Katy books, and perhaps a little heavy on the religious overtones, but it was such a pleasure to read about the early days of settlement in Colorado - what an adventure! And there is always something so pleasing to see people paired off in happy couples - I w
Alicia
Aug 29, 2015 Alicia rated it it was ok

OK, I think I see why these last two weren't in print when I was a kid--they are super boring compared to the first three. This last one in particular is kind of a dud. It introduces a couple of new characters, but one isn't interesting and the other is pretty insufferable, at least until Clover teaches her otherwise, of course. And they then inevitably get married off, also of course. There's no conflict in these last two books and there's less cute stuff
Lilian
Feb 01, 2013 Lilian rated it liked it
This was the least enjoyable of the five books in the series. Maybe it was because the (nominal) main characters did not seem to be the subject of the book - rather the focus switched back and forth without any true protagonist, but also without managing to make me feel quite as involved in any of the characters lives as I have previously done. I also knew how the book would end very early on - with the other four, there was an element of surprise that is sorely lacking here. Still, a very easy ...more
Meredith Galman
Oct 30, 2007 Meredith Galman rated it it was ok
Shelves: online
Stiff English girl comes to Colorado, is won over by the wonderfulness of the Carr sisters. Notable for the hint of homoeroticism when Imogen presses her gratitude on Clover, leaving Clover to exclaim that it's like a declaration of attachment. Fortunately for the tender sensibilities of her innocent early-twentieth-century readers, there quickly comes along the dull brother (Dorry) we haven't heard so much about to nip the same-sex romance in the bud. Meanwhile, Imogen's brother marries the ...more
J. Boo
Mar 29, 2015 J. Boo rated it it was ok
A dull close to the series. Imogen is jealous of Clover and behaves irritatingly until Coolidge's typical deus ex machina of an illness sets her right, whereupon she becomes irritating in a pro-Clover direction. Characters you recognize from earlier in the series show up explicitly to make a final bow. Some funny bits (a description of New York as a frontier town subject to Indian attacks from an American pulling an Englishwoman's leg, a few jokes about servants, etc) keep it above one star, but ...more
CuteBadger
The fifth and final Katy book (well, more a Carr book I suppose), in which everyone who has not previously married is matched up and everyone moves out West who is not already there.

It's nice to have the series finished off, but I felt this was the weakest of the books as it's entirely taken up with romances, mariages and babies. Characters who exhibit any (quite normal) personality flaws are made to see the error of their ways and end up in the Carr way of thinking.
Duckpondwithoutducks
Jul 22, 2012 Duckpondwithoutducks rated it really liked it
This last book in the Carr family series, or What Katy Did series, is sweet like all the others. It pairs up all the remaining family members who weren't married yet. The book starts out in England, following a character named Imogen, and at first it only seemed like we would see the Carr family tangentially, but then Imogen arrived in Colorado, and we did get to see the family. In this series, I prefer the first three books, I think, but it was nice to read this series finale!
Katy
Jul 23, 2013 Katy rated it liked it
The last of the Katy series. More interesting than the previous two, but the ending was not very satisfying and all of the female characters seem to end up having the exact same personality. They all live happily ever after, as polite well-dressed housewives who are good at decorating but not too snobby.
Lara
Last of the series, not my favourite. Less of the 'snapshot in time' of the previous novel, lacking in the charming anecdotes of the '...at school' novel, lumbered with an unpleasant character and generally very predictable. Nice to have the series finished off, and lovely to revisit Colorado through the eyes of an author who clearly loved the place.
Julia
Nov 12, 2012 Julia rated it really liked it
I really quite enjoyed reading these. I know they are 'childrens' books but sometimes a little nice light reading!! Glad that What Katy Did Next was a 2nd reading group choice though it did lead me to continue reading the series. They are really Mills & Boons for young girls! All very predictable but hey .....
C.
Apr 29, 2013 C. rated it did not like it
I honestly thought that this series didn't need to be continued after the third book and I was disappointed in this book. While it was nice to read about Clover and Elsie and their families, I didn't find this book enjoyable at all.
Beth
Apr 17, 2016 Beth rated it really liked it
This is the final book in the Katy series. There's not much about Katy in this one, it's mostly about Clover. But it's a good book.
The formatting of the printing wasn't that great, making it a little harder to read, but on the whole it was a nice way to end the series.
123bex
Sep 02, 2013 123bex rated it liked it
Very sweet. I didn't like it quite as much as Clover, and of course nothing compares to my beloved What Katy Did, but it was a nice, funny, dated little read. I'm very glad to have found these books.
Amy Griffith
Sep 23, 2015 Amy Griffith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first book, but once you fall in love with the Carr family in What Katy Did, most readers will want to read as much about them as they can.
Heather
Apr 22, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
It was quite a while since I read this, and I couldn't remember the ending...but it was very enjoyable and satisfying.
Goldie
Jun 19, 2012 Goldie marked it as to-read
Shelves: wishlist
I didn't even know this and the book Clover existed. I must now scour a lot of sites just to get my hands on a copy of this :< I just really love this series!
Lynn Smith
An enjoyable completion of the What Katy Did series which I obtained from my local library in the 70s.
Lisa
Feb 21, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it
A little twee as it winds up the stories of Katy, Clover, Elsie, Dorry, Johnnie and Phil but an enjoyable read all the same.
Helen
Sep 10, 2012 Helen rated it liked it
Simply a nice story. Everyone loves happy endings once in a while, and this book makes sure that there are plenty!
Sarah Mackey
May 05, 2012 Sarah Mackey rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
God, this was satisfying. I had no idea this book existed until now, and suddenly I have resolution on all of my beloved childhood friends.
Pixie
Jan 19, 2015 Pixie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Not the sort of books I'd normally read, but I found myself rather charmed by the characters and their quaint ways and I ended up reading all five books in the series.
Kaitlyn Wb
Apr 24, 2012 Kaitlyn Wb rated it really liked it
Very very sweet ending. So glad to know how everyone ended up. My one complaint is that there wasn't enough Katy!
  • A Garland for Girls
  • Carney's House Party (Deep Valley, #1)
  • The School at the Chalet (The Chalet School, #1)
  • Heidi's Children
  • The Wide, Wide World
  • Mother
  • A School of Her Own (Grandma's Attic #6)
  • Ashton Park (The Danforths of Lancashire #1)
  • Flambards Divided (Flambards, #4)
  • Sue Barton, Student Nurse (Sue Barton, #1)
  • Just Jane (Ladies of History, #2)
  • The Captain's Inheritance (Rothschild Trilogy #3)
Sarah Chauncey Woolsey was an American children's author who wrote under the pen name Susan Coolidge.

Woolsey was born January 29, 1835, into the wealthy, influential New England Dwight family in Cleveland, Ohio. Her father was John Mumford Woolsey (1796–1870) and mother was Jane Andrews. She spent much of her childhood in New Haven Connecticut after her family moved there in 1852.

Woolsey worked a
More about Susan Coolidge...

Carr Family (5 books)
  • What Katy Did (Carr Family, #1)
  • What Katy Did at School (Carr Family, #2)
  • What Katy Did Next (Carr Family, #3)
  • Clover (Carr Family, #4)