Start by marking “Das Spiel” as Want to Read:
Das Spiel

Das Spiel

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,159 Ratings  ·  167 Reviews
Published March 5th 2007 by Heyne (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Das Spiel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Das Spiel

Addy
Feb 18, 2015 Addy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book was just so damn entertaining!It never really slowed down for me. If it wasn't so long, I could've read it in a single sitting time permitting of course. The characters were a little unbelievable but like able. I really enjoyed the concept of a master of games sending poor Jane around doing stupid and dangerous tasks for money. Makes me think if I would've played the game. Maybe...lol. Being able to be in jane's mind and see her every move was fun. There were some crazy moments an ...more
Kristen
Aug 07, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
So you’re a loner type who has let your figure go a bit flabby while you work at the local library. Suddenly one day you find an envelope with your name on it sitting on your chair. You open it to find a clue, much like a scavenger hunt and a fifty dollar bill. What do you do? Why you develop a penchant for culottes, stick a malfunctioning switchblade in the breast pocket of your blouse and start hunting for the next clue… of course you need to find a token hot guy that can actually answer all o ...more
Brina
May 30, 2016 Brina rated it liked it
Nachdem ich bereits "Das Haus" von Richard Laymon gelesen habe und davon begeistert war, stand für mich schnell fest, dass ich auch weitere Bücher des Autors lesen möchte. Meine Wahl fiel dabei auf "Das Spiel", das von der Kurzbeschreibung sehr spannend klang. Nun, Spannung war letztendlich tatsächlich da, allerdings besitzt die Geschichte auch so manche Schwäche.

Auffällig ist hierbei, dass Richard Laymon die Geschichte an sich zwar sehr spannend beschreibt, ihm allerdings auch vollkommen egal z
Katie
Dec 18, 2011 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bullshit!....bullshit. I'm not even going to finish this book. I'm to chapter 18 and I'm just done. And personally I'm pretty pissed off at this book because it started off so awesome! I couldn't put it down. The characters were extremely likeable, it was funny yet thrilling at the same time, then it just got stupid. Or rather the main character just got stupid, completely brain dead more like.
Anyone who has read this please tell me one good reason why, after what happened in the graveyard woul
Katy
Jun 15, 2011 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just LOVED this Laymon book - I couldn't put it down! It was, let's be honest, extremely disturbing, and as with many of his other books I at times questioned my psychological state for enjoying it, but his writing style was so sublime and this story such a unique idea (at least I've never seen anything else like it before or since) that I couldn't help but be impressed by the sheer audacity of it - I can't really outline it without creating spoilers, but trust me -if you are a horror fan, you ...more
Toby
Oct 23, 2015 Toby rated it it was ok
Naja, war eher nicht so mein Fall. Besonders der Schluss war sehr trashig... insgesamt kaum Horror.
Shaun Horton
Feb 09, 2015 Shaun Horton rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
Richard Laymon may be a great writer of horror books, but it's not this one. It's not great horror, or a great book in general. Honestly, even if you're looking for mindless entertainment, you can do better than this.

(view spoiler)
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
Another Laymon novel.

What can you expect?
Sex, action and some Horror.

So, this girl starts playing a game with a person that entitles himself as MOG (Master of Games). First of is all simple - if you discover the clue you gain some money (always double the amount of the previous clue) and the next clue. The firsts couples of ones are simple, go somewhere, talk with someone but as the reward goes up, 1600 dollars or such it starts getting more difficult or bold - go someplace that a dog is guardi
Rade
Jan 23, 2015 Rade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
So you got Jane, a librarian who one day finds an envelope with her name on it. Inside of it are few sentences inviting her to play a game from a person called MOG (Master of Games). In the first letter was $50 bucks and it keeps increasing as she goes from one location to the next. Most of the challenges revolve around her figuring out places in the town where the story takes place.

The challenges get progressively harder and/or dangerous but she keeps at it because the money is enticing. I do
Dora
May 17, 2010 Dora rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Young librarian Jane finds a note addressed to her on her chair at work one night. Inside? A fifty dollar bill and the promise of more if she follows the clues. What starts out as a scavenger hunt turns into a deadly test of wills and morals as Jane finds herself doing more dangerous (and depraved) things for the promise of bigger and bigger payouts. This, then, is "The Dark", another in the long series of completely ridiculous horror novels from inexplicably popular author Richard Laymon.

Mind y
Kevin Groosalugg
I don't know how to feel about this book. It's my first Richard Laymon novel, and I wonder how he's written 30 books before this and still manages to write like an amateur. It's like a college professor told him to be more descriptive so he decided to rehash the same descriptions of mundane objects over and over again and triple the size of the book. The plot is pretty straightforward: A woman finds an envelope with a note sending her on a quest, when she completes the quest she gets money and a ...more
Justin
Feb 09, 2015 Justin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chris
Feb 12, 2009 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2009
Laymon does it again! I almost don't want to read any other books these days because of how bland they seem in light of a Laymon novel. He simply knows how to build suspense, create interesting characters, and throw in elements of total surprise.

As the plot unfolds you may find yourself disbelieving some of the character's actions, but just hang in there. The ending, as usual, is priceless!

This was one of Laymon's thicker books that you can tell he took a little more time writing than usual. The
Andy
Mar 01, 2015 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mild-mannered small town librarian Jane finds an envelope at work containing $50 and a note promising further instructions and larger prizes if she only follows the rules of "the game". Each new note leads Jane to test her limits for adventure, romance and depravity as she tries to figure out the identity of MOG (Master of Games).

In the Dark starts as a very intriguing slow burn, and wow, what a wild ride that last 25% was! Also, this book likely holds the records for the most shower scenes and
Nj Sun
Puhh, das war ne schwere Geburt!

Das Buch hat mir leider überhaupt nicht gefallen. War auch ehrlich am Überlegen ob ich nur 1 Stern vergebe...Teilweise war die Story so unlogisch, die Prota war mega unsympathisch und das Ende war irgendwie unbefriedigend...

Schade, ich hatte mir wirklich viel mehr versprochen. Ob ich nochmal ein Buch von Laymon in die Hand nehme bezweifel ich gerade. ^^

1,5 Sterne
Hatchetgabby
Jan 23, 2012 Hatchetgabby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic if it's not my favorite Laymon book it's deffinately in the top two,only con is i wish he'd given a little more background info on the villan.
Tanja Berg
Dec 22, 2012 Tanja Berg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Dowdy librarian Jane receives an envelope with her name on it, containing 50 dollars and note with instructions. The note is signed "MOG" - master of games. The first few things Jane has to do are easy enough, but the game soon turns more sinister. The reward increases steeply. Soon dowdy-Jane is a trim, sleek, single-minded woman.

The premise is interesting enough. Particularly when Jane is still trying to figure out the note of where she is to turn up next time. However, when the stakes are ra
Bookcrazy
Jul 25, 2013 Bookcrazy rated it it was ok
Zitat phantastik-couch.de: "Sprachlich einfach, die Handlung oft unlogisch, aber dennoch fesselnd."

Kann ich nur unterschreiben. Viele Logikfehler für mich und offene Handlungen, die einfach nicht erklärt wurden, dennoch hab ich es in einem Rutsch durchgelesen.

Die Handlung beginnt anfangs sehr vielversprechend. Jane findet einen Umschlag mit Geld und ein Rätsel - jemand will mit ihr ein Spiel spielen. Klingt wirklich sehr vielversprechend und ausbaufähig.
Leider wird die Handlung mit der Zeit abg
Rei
Sep 01, 2012 Rei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Own it, love it, read it loads. It does its job, it's full of suspense and excellence and has his trademark writing style on it. As an amateur author myself, Richard Laymon was my first inspiration into the world of writing and I will always hold his work in high esteem. Laymon happens to be my favorite author of all time and I have yet to discover a book by him that I REALLY can't stand.

In the Dark, read whilst I was in France and I just randomly plucked it off the bookshelf, I'm glad I did. I
Butterblume
Jan 05, 2013 Butterblume rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller-horror, 2010
Eines Tages erhält die junge Bibliothekarin Jane einen Fünfzig-Dollar-Schein und die Aufforderung, sich an einem ominösen „Spiel“ zu beteiligen: Wenn sie jeweils mitternachts eine bestimmte Aufgabe löst, dann verdoppelt sich ihre Belohnung. Sie macht mit. Die ersten Aufgaben sind noch leicht, doch sie werden härter – bis es kein Zurück mehr gibt: Das „Spiel“ artet zu reinstem Terror aus ....
Ich habe dieses Buch an einem Aben durchgelesen ich konnte es nicht mehr aus der Hand legen,es war spannen
Adam
Feb 02, 2015 Adam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popcorn, horror
Having recently watched 13 Sins, I was really excited for the novel. The movie is an awful thriller based on a Thai film, and they both seem to have been lifted from here.

Spent the whole book trying to figure out who MOG was, and obviously failed. I really enjoyed the changes our librarian goes through as each task becomes more freeing and empowering, to an extent. I'm not the most versed in horror, but it seems she's a bit over sexualized a lot of the way. What would you do for $x is always int
William M.
Jun 28, 2011 William M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I read this in 3 days and it was hard to put down each night. What a great hook! I can honestly say I had a smile on my face for most of the book... it's that much fun. Granted, it might offend a lot of people with it's graphic descriptions and adult scenes, but if it's horror you want, it's horror you will get. Laymon doesn't ramble on and on like Stephen King. He gets right to the point and brings on the violence and suspense.
Mylene
Feb 10, 2013 Mylene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: richard-laymon
My favorite Laymon book. This was the story that got me into Laymon in the first place. No one writes like him and I'm so sorry I have read almost all his published works! If you haven't read Laymon before, start with this novel. It is great fun... Mystery, adventure,thriller, romance, and good, gory, weird horror! You won't be able to put the book down. Enjoy!!!!!
Stephen
Nov 14, 2015 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Taken from this life too young, Richard Laymon's stories live on. This particular story was a complete joy. How far would you go for money? Jane has taken that question on. Jane Kerry, leading a life of your local librarian, had no idea she was about to find her limits. She will find an envelope with $50 inside with instructions and a clue to the next envelope. As each envelope is found, she realizes her searches are becoming more and more dangerous situations. Richard Laymon leads the reader on ...more
Robert Mingee
Nov 02, 2015 Robert Mingee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, 2015-harc
Fun, suspenseful romp in classic Laymon style. Kept me guessing about who was in on "the game" and who wasn't. Not high art, but a lot of fun!
Nerdish Mum
I really need to get back to reading books on my reading challenge lists and stop getting distracted by ALL THE BOOKS. So on both the PopSugar reading challenge and the BookRiot read harder challenge, there is a topic for "a book recommended by a friend" and the book I was recommended to by the hubby (he counts as a friend right?) was In The Dark by Richard Laymon.

Since meeting my hubby I've read quite a few Richard Laymon books as he is one of his favourite authors, this isn't one of them thoug
Erin
Nov 07, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hated and despised the first and only book I've read by Laymon The Island. I couldn't remember why this was on my TBR list, but then I realized it involves a person involving a young librarian in a very twisted, but financially lucrative, game - I'm a sucker for any books involving games, scavenger hunts and puzzles so I decided to give Laymon one more try.

The book was 3.5 stars, primarily because it was quite a page turner and the game was delightfully devious and fairly clever. My problem wi
Kevin
Apr 09, 2013 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Richard Laymon writes with a sense of purpose, that purpose is to entertain. Although Mr. Laymon's prose at times may seem sophomoric and his characters may come across as a bit underdeveloped and even act outside their given stereotype, this author still some how manages to deliver pure pulp fun. There are those who read Laymon and are expecting a pure literary, high prose achievement, these folks are left feeling cheated and love to bash Richard Laymon, this is not the fault of the author. If ...more
BecksBookPicks
Sep 30, 2010 BecksBookPicks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane is the main character in this book. She is a librarian and on day she find an envelope on her chair. She open the envelope to find $50 and a letter from Master of the Game, AKA, MOG. In the envelope she gets a clue as the where to find the next envelope is. Upon finding the next one, she gets her money doubled. At this point, she is hooked. Who wouldn't be, if all they had to do was follow the clue and your money gets doubled. However, each clue brings her to more and more dangerous situati ...more
Kathy Taylor
I really wish the rating system gave 1/2 stars because I would have given this book 3.5 stars.
This was my first Richard Laymon book. While I liked the book, I can't say that I really liked it. This is mainly because of his portrayal of the main character, who is female, throughout 3/4 of the book. The last 1/4 of the book he makes up for it and she finally uses her brain. In spite of this, he is quite a good writer. He's not overly descriptive, keeps you interested, and doesn't over-word things
  • The Black Train
  • The Mailman
  • Sacrifice
  • The Jigsaw Man
  • Survivor
Richard Laymon was born in Chicago and grew up in California. He earned a BA in English Literature from Willamette University, Oregon and an MA from Loyola University, Los Angeles. He worked as a schoolteacher, a librarian, and a report writer for a law firm, and was the author of more than thirty acclaimed novels.

He also published more than sixty short stories in magazines such as Ellery Queen,
More about Richard Laymon...