Start by marking “Living Green: A Practical Guide to Simple Sustainability” as Want to Read:
Living Green: A Practical Guide to Simple Sustainability

Living Green: A Practical Guide to Simple Sustainability

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Over 85% of Americans today express concern about health and the environment, but only a small fraction say they know where to begin. Whether you are concerned about climate change, personal health, or just want to live more lightly on the planet, this book is for you. It helps you get past the worry and take positive action to improve both your health and the health of ou ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Freedom Press

To ask other readers questions about Living Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Green

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinQuidditch Through the Ages by J.K. RowlingThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Greenest Books Ever
113th out of 1,312 books — 427 voters
The Lorax by Dr. SeussTrue Green by Kim MckayI Rule World by Ruthz S.B.Nicht hungrig, nicht schläfrig/ Not hungry, Not sleepy! by Ruthz S.B.The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
Green Books
4th out of 17 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy
I liked the resources in the back.
Danger Kallisti
Feb 12, 2008 Danger Kallisti rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Somebody looking for an intro to hippieism who's still too mainstream to dive right in.
Shelves: hippie
Not that I would have bought the thing full-price, but it came free with some green-drink mix at Whole Foods. The guy who wrote it seemed like sort of a yuppie obsessed with immortality, but those types still seem to be doing more good things for ecology than most.

Actually, though I'm already doing about 90% of the stuff in this book, it was a good resource, and it did teach me a couple of things I didn't know. For instance, recent findings show that Lexan polycarbonate (i.e. Nalgene bottles) ca
Marcela Freig
Easy read, good advise. There are some easy changes one can do to live a more sustainable life. Changes that I personally made after reading the book, like reducing my take out food intake, buying in bulk, offsetting carbon emissions, etc.
However I would really like to meet the author to see if he really has made all the changes he promotes, some of them are over the top and quite impractical. Does he really make his own shampoo? Does he have a wind turbine in his back yard?

Tortla
Oct 03, 2010 Tortla added it
Recommends it for: credulous tree-huggers
Recommended to Tortla by: Whole Foods
Shelves: for-guidance
Redundant, occasionally misinformed, amateurish, and self-aggrandizing.

Horn frequently references his personal triumphs in becoming holier-than-thou. And he cites Wikipedia like it's a credible source. There's a lot of self-congratulatory nonsense about how knowledge is power and green is the new red-white-and-blue.

That said, Horn does offer some valid tips: cutting back on sugars/fried foods/processed stuff; eating fresh, organic, whole foods; not using products with harsh chemicals in your ho
Elizabeth Renton
Apr 20, 2007 Elizabeth Renton rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who care about the environment
I'm only halfway through this book (just in time for earth day!) but I love it already. Sustainability is an important principle of landscape architecture, and I try to incorporate it in my work every day, but this book gives helpful ways that you can practice sustainability at home.easy things like eating organic, avoiding all exposure to certian types of plastics (NEVER PUT ANYTHING PLASTIC IN THE MICROWAVE!!), drinking tap water instead of bottled water, using makeup with natural ingredients. ...more
Valeria
This book really opens up your perspective about things you can do in your everyday life to help your health and the health of the planet :)
Tracie
Meh, there are definitely better things to read if you want advice on how to "live green". This one was a little too scare-tactic-y, and most of the recommendations require spending a lot of money on things like organic mattresses and new houses built out of sustainable materials. Also, dude was CEO of GNC, so I'm not really going to be able to take him too seriously.
Astrid
This was an interesting read mostly because it tied our own individual health to the health of the planet. Many books tackle environmental issues from a moral, financial or conservationist angle, many of which do not resonate with the majority of the population. Hopefully, the issues as presented in this book will prompt folks to start saving the planet.
Feb 28, 2008 Jill rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jill by: Eric Marley
Very enlightening...I changed alot about how I live because of info in this book. This is a real guys experiences and the info he found to solve his medical issues.He doesn't give a bunch of his opinions ect. he has links and books ect. for you to check out on your own. Fast read read it in one day and keep going back to it for reference.
Deanne
A introduction to "living green" however not all suggestions are practical for the average middle class family. I.e. an all natural mattress? These are generally above 2,000. and out of reach for most.

Good references for reducing your carbon footprint, and a good start to begin researching the products in your household.
Heather Mccracken
Jul 01, 2007 Heather Mccracken rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: on the fence
This book is just alright in my opinion. The author does pose some neat ideas on how to live sustainably. However, he has too far a radical view on some things - i found it annoying at times. Its a quick easy read and if you are interested in finding new ways to "live green" its worth at least a skim through.
Jordan
I would give this book 4.5 stars if possible. It was full of some great info but I feel that it was a bit repetitive at times. Also, I feel that he was focused a little more on the health aspect and a little less on the eco friendly stuff.
Overall, lots of great tips.
Tiffany
So far, so good, but since it's taking me so stinking long, I'm putting it off for a while, and sticking with engrossing novels for my trip to Hawaii! Is it a vacation unless you read some literature that doesn't necessarily better you as a person! I think not.
Alaina
Aug 18, 2007 Alaina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
I bought this book on an impulse while in Boulder and it is the best thing I've done in a long, long time. In two short weeks I've already made many simple changes in my lifestyle that can help improve our environment and my health. Highly recommended for everyone.
Amanda
This book is amazing and enlightening. It's realistically written for the world we live in today...showing the reader how to make small changes to improve their own health while contributing to the environment and decreasing their carbon footprint!
Heather
Dec 12, 2007 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those interested in living a little "lighter" on the earth
Very short, simple, easy to read book with practical advice for living a little lighter on the earth. A good intro book for someone who is just getting into or interested in learning about green living. Good food for thought without being too heavy.
Jill
This book had some good basic information about what chemicals are in everyday products, but was pretty boring to read. He talked about his own personal life and green company way too much instead of providing more informative information.
Carlo
Easy read - short. still Chalk full of valuable information for the every day person. Written by the former CEO of GNC. I highly recommend this to anyone looking to be more aware about health for themselves and their environment.
Sara
Most of the material here was common sense, and some was a little too extreme (not sure about putting a wind turbine in my backyard!), but I did learn some things. I like the list of resources in the back.
jacalyn
an easy read for the basics of health and sustainability. sort of a coffee table book for health nerds. first half is interesting. it drags toward the end. i get it. you want me to go to your website.
Ellen
Good information about organic living. Could use more substance on reducing carbon footprint and other green practices that don't deal with organic food and personal care products.
Raleigh
Very simple and practical guidelines on how to live a environmentally friendly life which is both healthier for the self as well as the world.
Latasha
This book was generally what all the green living books are. How to go local, eat organic, remove chemicals, drive less, etc.
Laura Ludowise
Easy to read and very informative. Shows that anyone and everyone can take a step to sustainable living. Baby steps...
Jill
From reading this book, I have definitely made positive changes to my purchasing habits as well as recylcing habits.
Bradley

This is exactly what I was looking for--a short book full of resources to help me act on all my good intentions.
Kelly
Very simple. So simple if you've ever looked into the sustainability issue, you might be bored. Quick read.
Gia
Apr 04, 2010 Gia rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Gia by: Transistions Book Store
A book of tips on how to recycle your current living into a more meaningful way to save.
Deb
Aug 04, 2008 Deb added it
This is one of my favorite Green books. It has recommendations for products, too!
Sherri
I good book for basic information on beginning to live green. Good website lists also
  • It's Easy Being Green: A Handbook for Earth-Friendly Living
  • The Lazy Environmentalist: Your Guide to Easy, Stylish, Green Living
  • Easy Green Living: The Ultimate Guide to Simple, Eco-Friendly Choices for You and Your Home
  • Clean House Clean Planet
  • Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living
  • The Green Book: The Everyday Guide to Saving the Planet One Simple Step at a Time
  • Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Nontoxic Avenger Shows You How to Improve Your Health and That of Your Family, While You Save Time, Money, And, Perhaps, Your Sanity
  • Green, Greener, Greenest: A Practical Guide to Making Eco-Smart Choices a Part of Your Life
  • The Consumer's Guide to Effective Environmental Choices: Practical Advice from the Union of Concerned Scientists
  • Generation Green: The Ultimate Teen Guide to Living an Eco-Friendly Life
  • Simple Prosperity: Finding Real Wealth in a Sustainable Lifestyle
  • The Live Earth Global Warming Survival Handbook: 77 Essential Skills To Stop Climate Change
  • The Locavore Way: Discover and Enjoy the Pleasures of Locally Grown Food
  • The Better World Shopping Guide: Every Dollar Makes a Difference
  • Living Like Ed: One Man's Guide to Living an Environmentally Friendly Life
  • How to Live Well Without Owning a Car: Save Money, Breathe Easier, and Get More Mileage Out of Life
  • Slice of Organic Life
  • The Fourfold Path to Healing: Working with the Laws of Nutrition, Therapeutics, Movement and Meditation in the Art of Medicine
The Art of Greg Horn Cover Stories: The Art Of Greg Horn Volume 2 Marvel Super Heroes vs. Villains: An Explosive Pop-up of Rivalries The Meaning of Light: An Illumination Dark Avengers, Vol. 2: Molecule Man