Start by marking “Are You Out There, God?” as Want to Read:
Are You Out There, God?

Are You Out There, God?

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  90 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
They are like shadows in our cities, small outlines of skin and bones that attach themselves to abandoned buildings, park benches, narrow alleyways. And when darkness falls, these shadows disappear into places many of us will never, ever see in this lifetime. Very few people know the faces of these shadows, or their names. They are America's untouchables and unreachables-- ...more
Published 1999 by Covenant House (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Are You Out There, God?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Are You Out There, God?

Jodi
Dec 04, 2014 Jodi rated it really liked it
anarki
Oct 30, 2012 anarki rated it liked it
:'(
Eva Leger
Jun 11, 2010 Eva Leger rated it it was ok
Recommended to Eva by: found @ Goodwill
I feel bad rating this only two stars and I think I feel bad because it's written by a nun. But, I can't be dishonest in a rating and review because I need to be able to look back on this years down the road and see what I thought. Not to mention I direct others to my lists and reviews sometimes. So, here we go...
This isn't written well. Even though the stories are very much true and happen every day the writing was such that it made it seeem like fiction. I had to keep reminding myself that Sis
Basil
Apr 29, 2013 Basil rated it it was ok
The author is a nun who helps run a chain of youth homeless shelters in several metropolitan areas. Her writing is not very good, but I gave an extra star for the heartfelt intentions behind it. This is mostly a collection of newsletters compiled into a book, with some prayers and poems sprinkled throughout, and a short Family Survival Guide at the back. The newsletter format makes for a repetitive and choppy read, as you go through story after story of various abused homeless kids. I feel for t ...more
Jen Estrella
Aug 27, 2014 Jen Estrella rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
For what this was, which was basically a pamphlet about the sex trade written by a nun who helps the sex slaves child prostitutes, it was well written and served it's purpose. It was pretty sad, and it reminded me of all the other real life books written about these kinds of things. Mental illness, being bulimic or anorexic, being molested, raped, hooked on drugs, stuck with a pimp, etc etc. all the girls around my age have all read those, go ask alice books. This was pretty much one of those. D ...more
Jill
Stories of troubled teens seeking help from Covenant House.
Cherie
Feb 05, 2015 Cherie rated it liked it
Heartbreaking & fast paced.
Don Gubler
Aug 05, 2014 Don Gubler rated it liked it
Heart-wrenching.
Janice
Apr 13, 2016 Janice rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 12+
Abandoned and lost in a world of sex, abuse, and terror, desperate kids turn to their last hope, pleading Are You out there, God? The title of this book says it all. When I read this book and I can hear these children cry Why Me? or CAN YOU HELP ME! or even the tiny ones ask Will my mamma come back? What if she doesn't come back? Questions I myself have heard, it brings tears to my eyes. If you cannot help financially, or physically please pray for all of them each day. Prayer does help.
Bonnie Westmark
Feb 01, 2014 Bonnie Westmark rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book.
abbylee Oqueli
Mar 05, 2012 abbylee Oqueli rated it liked it
This was really sad, but hopeful in that there are people who are willing to dedicate their lives to helping others. It made me itchy to go find a volunteer opportunity.

With that being said, it wasn't the best read I've ever experienced; I would have given it a two start, but it struck inspiration in me. I think I am going to use it in my class when I do my homelessness unit next year . . . it should be good . . . so three stars it shall be.
MaryAnn
Good but far too brief. I would like to learn more about the children this organization is working to help.
Erin.spano
Oct 15, 2010 Erin.spano rated it it was amazing
this book is great! It can really tell you how life is not so great for eveyone, some people think theere life might be terrible cause they don't get everthing they want when exactly they want. this book is about homeless kids that do whatever they can to get money.When one day someone reconzies how much trouble they are in and start to take care of them.
Lexus Richardson
Mar 07, 2012 Lexus Richardson rated it it was ok
This book was alright.
Although the stories are true, heart wrenching, and an eye opener, I felt like there wasn't enough.
Each chapter was 2-4 pages long, the longest a trial case. Those type of things bothered me.
This is good for any quick read.
Crystal
Jul 05, 2009 Crystal rated it liked it
This is a very short but great read that gives examples of the lives of children who live on the street due to their home environment. It's heart wrenching how many children go through this. Very sad but very real.
Mrs. Oqueli
Mar 05, 2012 Mrs. Oqueli rated it liked it
Shelves: tough-stuff
So sad, but awesome that people out there are willing to dedicate their lives to making a difference. It made me want to go out and find a place to volunteer.
Kristy
Jul 10, 2010 Kristy rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Very heartbreaking book...a person would have to have a heart of stone to not feel something while reading these young people's stories.
Ayana
Oct 05, 2011 Ayana rated it liked it
I liked this book but it was two short i finished in like and hour but it was still good the stories were sad
Mat Rueter
Jul 17, 2013 Mat Rueter rated it really liked it
There are people out there that will help us not lose hope though there may be difficult times.
Edwina Hall Callan
Sep 11, 2013 Edwina Hall Callan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2007
I read this book in 2007 and all I really remember about it is that I thought it was amazing.
Katie
Nov 16, 2010 Katie added it
it made me want to cry and want to do something about it. so let's do something!!
Ginnie Grant
Sep 25, 2013 Ginnie Grant rated it it was amazing
This was raw and haunting and honest. your heart really breaks for these kids
★…LIZZIE…★
Apr 24, 2008 ★…LIZZIE…★ rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
this boook is really good i think people should read it
Stacy
Jul 10, 2016 Stacy rated it liked it
Very sad
Lori
Lori added it
Jul 26, 2016
Jalysia Jones
Jalysia Jones rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Eva Lounsbury
Eva Lounsbury marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sister Mary Rose McGeady, DC.

In 1946, she became a sister of the Daughters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul (DC).

She received a bachelor's degree in sociology from Emmanuel College in 1955 and a master’s degree in clinical psychology from Fordham University in 1961.

She served as executive director of the Nazareth Child Care Centre for Homeless Children in Boston, executive director of the Asto
More about Mary Rose McGeady...