Start by marking “Are You Out There, God?” as Want to Read:
Are You Out There, God?

Are You Out There, God?

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  21 reviews
They are like shadows in our cities, small outlines of skin and bones that attach themselves to abandoned buildings, park benches, narrow alleyways. And when darkness falls, these shadows disappear into places many of us will never, ever see in this lifetime. Very few people know the faces of these shadows, or their names. They are America's untouchables and unreachables-- ...more
Published 1999 by Covenant House (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Are You Out There, God?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Are You Out There, God?

Jodi
Eva Leger
Jun 11, 2010 Eva Leger rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Eva by: found @ Goodwill
I feel bad rating this only two stars and I think I feel bad because it's written by a nun. But, I can't be dishonest in a rating and review because I need to be able to look back on this years down the road and see what I thought. Not to mention I direct others to my lists and reviews sometimes. So, here we go...
This isn't written well. Even though the stories are very much true and happen every day the writing was such that it made it seeem like fiction. I had to keep reminding myself that Sis
Basil Hackworth
The author is a nun who helps run a chain of youth homeless shelters in several metropolitan areas. Her writing is not very good, but I gave an extra star for the heartfelt intentions behind it. This is mostly a collection of newsletters compiled into a book, with some prayers and poems sprinkled throughout, and a short Family Survival Guide at the back. The newsletter format makes for a repetitive and choppy read, as you go through story after story of various abused homeless kids. I feel for t ...more
Jen Estrella
For what this was, which was basically a pamphlet about the sex trade written by a nun who helps the sex slaves child prostitutes, it was well written and served it's purpose. It was pretty sad, and it reminded me of all the other real life books written about these kinds of things. Mental illness, being bulimic or anorexic, being molested, raped, hooked on drugs, stuck with a pimp, etc etc. all the girls around my age have all read those, go ask alice books. This was pretty much one of those. D ...more
Don Gubler
Heart-wrenching.
Bonnie Westmark
Everyone should read this book.
abbylee Oqueli
This was really sad, but hopeful in that there are people who are willing to dedicate their lives to helping others. It made me itchy to go find a volunteer opportunity.

With that being said, it wasn't the best read I've ever experienced; I would have given it a two start, but it struck inspiration in me. I think I am going to use it in my class when I do my homelessness unit next year . . . it should be good . . . so three stars it shall be.
MaryAnn Keyser
Good but far too brief. I would like to learn more about the children this organization is working to help.
Erin.spano
this book is great! It can really tell you how life is not so great for eveyone, some people think theere life might be terrible cause they don't get everthing they want when exactly they want. this book is about homeless kids that do whatever they can to get money.When one day someone reconzies how much trouble they are in and start to take care of them.
Lexus Richardson
This book was alright.
Although the stories are true, heart wrenching, and an eye opener, I felt like there wasn't enough.
Each chapter was 2-4 pages long, the longest a trial case. Those type of things bothered me.
This is good for any quick read.
Crystal
This is a very short but great read that gives examples of the lives of children who live on the street due to their home environment. It's heart wrenching how many children go through this. Very sad but very real.
Mrs. Oqueli
So sad, but awesome that people out there are willing to dedicate their lives to making a difference. It made me want to go out and find a place to volunteer.
Kristy
Very heartbreaking book...a person would have to have a heart of stone to not feel something while reading these young people's stories.
Ayana
I liked this book but it was two short i finished in like and hour but it was still good the stories were sad
Mat Rueter
There are people out there that will help us not lose hope though there may be difficult times.
Edwina Hall Callan
I read this book in 2007 and all I really remember about it is that I thought it was amazing.
Katie
Nov 16, 2010 Katie added it
it made me want to cry and want to do something about it. so let's do something!!
Ginnie Grant
This was raw and haunting and honest. your heart really breaks for these kids
★…LIZZIE…★
Apr 24, 2008 ★…LIZZIE…★ rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
this boook is really good i think people should read it
Ana
Amazing!!!! I love this woman! She was such a hero!
Cathy Glass
Cathy Glass marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Nicole
Nicole added it
Oct 20, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Jack
Jack added it
Sep 08, 2014
Darlene Williams
Darlene Williams marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sister Mary Rose McGeady, DC.

In 1946, she became a sister of the Daughters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul (DC).

She received a bachelor's degree in sociology from Emmanuel College in 1955 and a master’s degree in clinical psychology from Fordham University in 1961.

She served as executive director of the Nazareth Child Care Centre for Homeless Children in Boston, executive director of the Asto
More about Mary Rose McGeady...
Sometimes God Has a Kid's Face God's Lost Children God Isn't Done With Me Yet God Please Save Me