Start by marking “Night of the Moonjellies” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Night of the Moonjellies

Mark Shasha

Night of the Moonjellies

Seven-year-old Mark saves a jellyfish on the beach in the morning and helps all day at his grandmother's seaside refreshment stand. After closing, they go out in a fishing boat, and Mark pours out his jellyfish to join the thousands of moonjellies in the nighttime water.
Published August 1st 1992 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Night of the Moonjellies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night of the Moonjellies

Kathryn
I think kids would probably like this one much better than I did. I found the little boy's day, helping his grandma at their hamburger/hotdog joint, to be a bit boring but I probably would have been enthralled as a kid and wished I had some relative in the restaurant business so I could help fill ketchup bottles! Still, the ending is quite pretty and even grown-up me wishes I could be in a sea of moonjellies! Also, the illustrations just didn't really do it for me--the one on the cover is probab ...more
Lesley Looper
This book brought back memories of summers at the beach, although I went to the North Carolina coast instead of New England. The restaurant in the story reminds me of the Big Oak Drive In in Salter Path, NC, which has great shrimp burgers.

I enjoyed the idea of the family helping out in the family business on the coast, with even the little boy pitching in. The illustrations near the end with the moonjellies were especially pretty!
Dolly
Jul 29, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet tale about a family who works together to run a busy food stand in New England. The busy tourist season pushes everyone to pitch in and help, including a little seven year-old boy. Despite the exhaustion from a long day at the stand, the little boy and his grandmother take the time to take a nighttime boat ride and share a magical sight - the bioluminescence of the Ctenophore. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Christaia Houser
This book is about a family owned hot dog stand by the ocean. Mark finds moonjellies and after a long busy day at the stand, he and Gram go out on a boat to let them free. This book could be used in the classroom if we were doing a social studies unit on community (the hot dog stand atmosphere) or also in a science unit on ocean life.
David
Oct 19, 2008 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to David by: Mom
This book was not so fun. I didn't like it very much. It sounded like a sad story.

Note from Mom: The pictures and characters are delightful in this book. David is right, however, the story is almost sad. you don't get to the moonjelly part until the very end, and then it's not as spectacular as I wish it was. This book gets 3 1/2 stars from me, too.
Jill
Jan 21, 2011 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why, but Lia LOVES this book. We've had it checked out from the library for awhile, and every time she sees it she begs me to read it. I'm not sure why. It's not one I would pick up randomly at the thrift store, but I'm going to be looking for it now.
Aless
Apr 28, 2015 Aless rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS BOOK IS MY FAVORITE SHORT STORY!!!
I absolutely love this book. I'm going to have to say that this book is one of my all time favorites!
Myles
Jun 21, 2011 Myles rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really like it because the author didn't say much about the moonjellies. The book was mostly about the food stand. And that part was horrible.
Bree
Mar 29, 2014 Bree rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Notes:
boy's family owns a seaside diner
only one picture in the book is about the actual moonjellies
the kids were disappointed
Jenna McRae
This is the story of a young boy who is working at a restaurant with his grams and uncle Al. He finds something on the beach and his grandma finds it. This book would be good to use for inferring.
Christy Kellner
May 20, 2014 Christy Kellner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Part of the 5 in a row curriculum and our family loved this story and the integrated lessons presented in Five in a Row. I classic story reiterating the importance of family and entrepreneurship.
Hope L. Justice
Hope L. Justice rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Danyaris Torrez
Danyaris Torrez rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Amelia
Amelia rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2012
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2016
Candace
Candace rated it liked it
May 10, 2010
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2015
Jennifer Cotton
Jennifer Cotton rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2014
Devon
Devon rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2016
Salysa
Salysa rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2016
Emilie Pardee
Emilie Pardee rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
Maryam
Maryam rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2012
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2015
Angela Lacy
Angela Lacy rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Laurie
Laurie rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2012
james o. phillips.
james o. phillips. rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Betsy Natter
Betsy Natter rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2015
Jacki Wiegel
Jacki Wiegel rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2015
Kelli
Kelli rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2015