Start by marking “Night of the Moonjellies” as Want to Read:
Night of the Moonjellies

Mark Shasha

Night of the Moonjellies

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Seven-year-old Mark saves a jellyfish on the beach in the morning and helps all day at his grandmother's seaside refreshment stand. After closing, they go out in a fishing boat, and Mark pours out his jellyfish to join the thousands of moonjellies in the nighttime water.
Published August 1st 1992 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Night of the Moonjellies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night of the Moonjellies

Kathryn
I think kids would probably like this one much better than I did. I found the little boy's day, helping his grandma at their hamburger/hotdog joint, to be a bit boring but I probably would have been enthralled as a kid and wished I had some relative in the restaurant business so I could help fill ketchup bottles! Still, the ending is quite pretty and even grown-up me wishes I could be in a sea of moonjellies! Also, the illustrations just didn't really do it for me--the one on the cover is probab...more
Lesley
This book brought back memories of summers at the beach, although I went to the North Carolina coast instead of New England. The restaurant in the story reminds me of the Big Oak Drive In in Salter Path, NC, which has great shrimp burgers.

I enjoyed the idea of the family helping out in the family business on the coast, with even the little boy pitching in. The illustrations near the end with the moonjellies were especially pretty!
Dolly
Jul 29, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet tale about a family who works together to run a busy food stand in New England. The busy tourist season pushes everyone to pitch in and help, including a little seven year-old boy. Despite the exhaustion from a long day at the stand, the little boy and his grandmother take the time to take a nighttime boat ride and share a magical sight - the bioluminescence of the Ctenophore. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Christy Kellner
Part of the 5 in a row curriculum and our family loved this story and the integrated lessons presented in Five in a Row. I classic story reiterating the importance of family and entrepreneurship.
Bree
Notes:
boy's family owns a seaside diner
only one picture in the book is about the actual moonjellies
the kids were disappointed
David
Oct 19, 2008 David rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to David by: Mom
This book was not so fun. I didn't like it very much. It sounded like a sad story.

Note from Mom: The pictures and characters are delightful in this book. David is right, however, the story is almost sad. you don't get to the moonjelly part until the very end, and then it's not as spectacular as I wish it was. This book gets 3 1/2 stars from me, too.
Jill
I don't know why, but Lia LOVES this book. We've had it checked out from the library for awhile, and every time she sees it she begs me to read it. I'm not sure why. It's not one I would pick up randomly at the thrift store, but I'm going to be looking for it now.
Jenna McRae
This is the story of a young boy who is working at a restaurant with his grams and uncle Al. He finds something on the beach and his grandma finds it. This book would be good to use for inferring.
Myles
I didn't really like it because the author didn't say much about the moonjellies. The book was mostly about the food stand. And that part was horrible.
Mochapelt
we loved reading this book!
Katie
I thought this was a beautiful book. Good to share with grandparents.
Claire McGinn
Week 2 with FIAR. They loved it!
Andrea Labonte
A must read it is a very good book.
Kara
Kara added it
Sep 17, 2014
Kelly Stewart voyles
Kelly Stewart voyles marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014