Start by marking “Mil cretins” as Want to Read:
Mil cretins

Mil cretins

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  289 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Mil cretins és el nou llibre de relats de Quim Monzó després d'El millor dels mons. En un nou pas endavant, Monzó passa comptes amb el dolor, la vellesa, la mort i l'amor. Valent i sense concessions, mira a la cara el difícil equilibri entre vida i misèria humana.
176 pages
Published January 2007 by Quaderns Crema

karen
Sep 08, 2012 karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

open letter has given me another book by quim monzo!

which i liked somewhat less than the first one.

i loved the second half of this book, which showcases short-short stories, the longest of which is three-and-a-half pages. the first half has some standouts, to be sure, but some of them just didn't do anything for me, sad to say. love is eternal, saturday, and praise were great. they cover such topics as romantic entanglements built on misguided altruistic intentions, the inability to eradicate th
Jonfaith
Jan 08, 2013 Jonfaith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Despite the charming Barcelona locale, this was an indifferent collection of stories, many which wrestle with the zentih of life: love and mortality share top billing with guilt. Most of the stories are undercooked, more sketches than even glimpses. I felt those stories concerning authors and writing were particularly obnoxious.

Microstories apparently don't suit me.
jeremy
Sep 13, 2012 jeremy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a thousand morons (mil cretins) is the third collection of short stories by catalan author, journalist, and translator quim monzó to appear in english translation. split into two sections, a thousand morons features (in addition to a most fantastic title) nineteen well-crafted stories, many of which are no longer than a couple of pages. introducing brio into the banal and fun into the funereal, monzó is able to make an intriguing tale of even the most commonplace incidents or interactions. his o ...more
Maria  (Scratchbook)
Lettura molto strana.
Un racconto, Sabato è molto valido. Bello. Ma tanto.
Qui altri racconti però sono una noia mortale.
Altri passano più tranquillamente, ma niente rimane.
Sono rimasta molto delusa da questo libro. Vero è che nelle raccolte c'è sempre quella parte che piace di più e quella che colpisce meno. Ma un solo racconto non può reggere il valore di un intero libro. Almeno per me.
Daniel
May 31, 2014 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Monzo's prose and perspective on the world. Some of these vignettes read like short meditations, some as a single scene that Monzo observed, whether in actuality or in his own head. The longer works that make the first half of this story allow for more emotional attachment, even if a story doesn't particularly go anywhere. In fact, the more I read of Monzo, the more I appreciate his prose as a source of reading enjoyment. I adore the written word and I feel a mutual sense of adoration in ...more
Hollowspine
Mar 16, 2013 Hollowspine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many of these stories, I thought, were pure genius. Monzo really brings out the truth of ridiculous situations, absurd realities, silly assumptions and the thousand moronic things that people do all the time.

One of my favorites in the collection was Praise, about a famous author who makes an off-handed comment about a good book he'd read, creating celebrity around a new writer. It made me laugh and was completely accurate about the world of publicity and public opinion.

The first section of the b
RH Walters
Mar 12, 2013 RH Walters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These stories are so weird it's like having cranial sacral therapy. I love the minute phenomena he describes, like the mounting awkwardness that turns into a vendetta from not making a promised phonecall, to the bullying that results when a group tries to commandeer tables at a cafe. Also, of course, the deep plain sadness of a grown child dealing with parents who have become needy children. This writer has truly blocked everything else out and honed in on his own voice. An unusual and enlivenin ...more
Núria
Monzó mai em decepciona. És sempre divertit i lúcid, però cada vegada més dur. Prefereixo els contes de la primera part, que els de la segona, que més aviat són només anècdotes, tot i que són molt enginyoses. És sorprenent la capacitat que té per resultar sempre realista, tot i que moltes vegades els seus contes acabin amb exageracions grotesques, però és que aquestes sempre resulten totalment creïbles i lògiques. 'L'arribada de la primavera' és una obra mestra, tan ben escrita, tan absorbent i ...more
Raro de Concurso
Libro de cuentos que tan bien se le da al Sr.Monzó. No a la altura de otros volúmenes, pero que se deja leer con gusto y como no, con cierta inquietud y desasosiego.

Algunos son como una canción de Astrud novelada y otros, como el príncipe azul frente a la bella durmiente que no se despierta ni abusando de ella, me recuerda mucho a los cuentos de "Guadalajara".

Hay de todo, como digo, pero desde luego no deja indiferente.
Álex
Jan 27, 2014 Álex rated it it was amazing
He leído este libro por casualidad, ya que fui a la biblioteca en busca de alguna lectura breve y, junto a Viatges i flors de Rodoreda, encontré este libro de Quim Monzó, un autor del que había escuchado poco más que alguna divertida intervención y que me llamaba la atención por su manera de hablar.
No he leído demasiado cuento corto, pero creo que los escritores deben escoger cuidadosamente las palabras para que el regusto después de la lectura de cada cuento sea bueno. En este caso, la experien
Javi Bóinez
Feb 08, 2013 Javi Bóinez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relatos
Solo por «La alabanza» y «La llegada de la primavera» ya valdría la pena su lectura, pero es que el resto de relatos son más que notables.

Monzó trata el amor, el desamor, la vejez, la muerte y, en resumen, la vida, de manera magistral.
Beth Wheeler
Mar 26, 2013 Beth Wheeler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick, more than enjoyable read. What a short story craftsman: Monzo writes with perfect pacing, delightfully absurd characters, and endings that surprise and satisfy.
Brad
Oct 31, 2008 Brad rated it really liked it
Terse nuggets of narrative that refuse to satisfy the reader's expectations.
Joshua
Oct 15, 2014 Joshua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excelente. Monzó es un maestro del relato corto.
Tara
A good short story collection can grow like a city. Either organically – as when an author writes stories and publishes them together once he has enough for a book (like F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, or Salinger are good examples). Or through careful planning from the get/go – think James Joyce, Jennifer Egan and William Faulkner. Obviously the critical thing is that the stories, themselves, are good. But a planned collection adds a layer of complexity for the reader. The stories can be ...more
Peter McCambridge
I've been thinking long and hard about why I loved this book so much. For a start, I really finished it weeks ago, but left myself a few of the really short stories at the end of it, just to drag out the experience a little longer. Now that it's finished, I want to start over again.

I think it's the voice that really won me over, rather than the themes that most of the reviews I've read seem to focus on. There is something unique and truly special about the writing. The language is simple, matter
Charles Dee Mitchell
Chad Post, publisher of Open Letter Editions, reports that when he met Quim Monzo, the Catalan author of A Thousand Morons, at a PEN World Voices conference, the writer asked him whether he really wanted to publish a book with so many sad people in it.

There are many sad people here, but they are not people you want to avoid, at least on the page. Monzo is sixty years old and mortality is much on his narrator's and main character's minds. Not their own, so much, as those of aging parents. There a
Darryl
Dec 08, 2013 Darryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quim Monzó is one of the most highly regarded contemporary Catalan authors, who has only recently been recognized in the English speaking world thanks in large part to Open Letter Books, which has published three of his books in translation in the past three years, Gasoline, Guadalajara, and A Thousand Morons. Although he has written several novels, articles and essays, he is best known in Spain and Europe for his short stories, which are generally surreal and comedic works filled with identifia ...more
Aaron (Typographical Era)
Because A Thousand Morons is a short story collection, and because such things tend to become more difficult to review because they wind up covering a myriad of topics over the course of many separate, seemingly unrelated tales, it’s tempting to pad out the start of this review with a list of awards and honors that have been bestowed upon Catalan author Quim Monzo during his nearly 40 year career. Don’t worry I won’t, although I probably just took up the same amount of space explaining why I’m n ...more
El Segoviano
Hace seis años que leí el libro y la verdad no recuerdo nada ni del autor ni del libro a pesar que leyendo la contraportada lo ponen como un elemento muy positivo y gran narrador.
No puedo opinar y en este momento no tengo una idea clara sobre su contenido.
Llevándolo a la reducción del absurdo no tengo mal recuerdo de él lo que por efecto contrario igual no estaba mal.
Donald Armfield
This is my second Quim Monzo book, both being his short story collections. I will definitely be making a purchase for his novel "Gasoline"

In this short story collection Quim gives us more of his strange and down right absurd pieces.

Mr. Beneset an old timer dresses up as a woman so his son can bring him around the old folks home.
A Cut The teacher is more concerned about how to enter a classroom than the huge gash of s cut in his students neck.
I'm Looking Out The Window is amazing what you can se
Richard
It's okay. Just okay, I read most of the short stories and didn't read the ones that didn't interest me. The short stories range from a few pages to about 10 and so their were, maybe 10-12 short stories altogether.
John
I really loved Quim Monzo's Guadalajara, the previous collection of stories published in translation, so I was really excited to come across this one at the library. I ended up a little disappointed. These stories are good, and some of them are very good, and many of them play with the form in interesting ways— but in general, these were much less fun (and much less funny) than those in Guadalajara. They did not have the same sense of playfulness as the stories in the other collection, the feeli ...more
Julián
Relatos cortos, algunos buenos, algunos regulares y otros parecen un chiste. Es lo que tiene esta literatura de extensión mínima. Los elogios de la contraportada, quizá algo exagerados.
Manuel Genoves
Dec 02, 2014 Manuel Genoves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un bruto, Quim Monzó.
Aun así muy muy bueno
BAstante mejor la versión original en valenciano/catalán
Edward Pissmeoff
Mar 19, 2013 Edward Pissmeoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, short-stories
I loved this book! Filled with funny, witty, sad and absurd stories of love, loss, faith, humor, and a fork, A Thousand Morons is a wonderful read for everyone.
From stories about a prince who cant wake up the princess, to a man who can't understand why books put people to sleep I just couldn't put this book down. Every tale is better than the last. I was very upset when i read the last story, because that means the book was over! I would have loved to read a thousand more stories by Quim Monzo!
I
Lisa Hayden Espenschade
Jan 25, 2013 Lisa Hayden Espenschade rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: I received a copy (and matching t-shirts) from publisher Open Letter
3.4 stars. Short stories that show it takes all kinds... of morons. This thin collection contains short stories and very short stories about all sorts of sad and absurd people. I particularly enjoyed "Mr. Beneset," about a man in an old folks home, and "Praise" about a writer who inadvertently generates problems for himself by mentioning a book he enjoyed.

(There's more on my blog about A Thousand Morons here.)
Felipe
Mar 27, 2013 Felipe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
no es lo mejor de monzó que he leído. hay un desgano en la segunda parte que no estoy seguro que al final funcione. me hace recordar cómo nunca puedo recordar de qué tratan sus cuentos, que sólo me divierten y parecen geniales. lo cual no es bueno ni malo. por algún lado en mi cerebro hay una zona monzó. en fin, vale la pena, sobre todo los cuentos "El amor es eterno", "Miro por la ventana" y "La llegada de la primavera"; en ellos encuentro al Monzó que más me gusta, el de "Frente al rey de Suec ...more
Tony
Jun 05, 2013 Tony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sad people. Unfortunate characters. Absurd. I've read all these phrases in relation to these short stories translated from Catalan. And while there is definitely a strong element of absurdity running through these stories, they mostly dealt with the mundane absurdity of real life. And yes, these stories left me feeling sad when I was perhaps hoping to laugh more. But I suppose that people can't always be running around turning into rhinoceroses for my amusement. And that's unfortunate.
Víctor
Quim Monzó es un gran autor de relatos, con un estilo irónico y perspicaz, de historias sorprendentes e ideas originales. En "Mil Cretinos" me han gustado más los microrelatos de la segunda parte en su conjunto, quizá es un autor que brilla más cuanto más concisas son sus historias. "El amos es eterno" y la "La alabanza" son dos buenos ejemplos. En cambio, "Mirando por la ventana" me pareció repetitivo y tedioso, por éste y otros de menor altura no le doy una calificación más alta.
  • The Dark
  • Si te comes un limón sin hacer muecas
  • Children in Reindeer Woods
  • Mirall trencat
  • Two or Three Years Later: Forty-Nine Digressions
  • The Miracle Cures of Dr. Aira
  • Europe in Sepia
  • Cròniques de la veritat oculta
  • L'Amour
  • Sangre en el ojo
  • Scars
Quim Monzó was born in Barcelona in 1952.
He has been awarded the National Award for fiction; the City of Barcelona Award for fiction; the Prudenci Bertrana Award for fiction; the El Temps Award for best novel; the Lletra d'Or Prize; the Catalan Writers' Award; the Maria Àngels Anglada; the Trajectòria; he has also been awarded Serra d'Or magazine's prestigious Critics' Award, four times.

In 2007 he