Start by marking “Tigress: Read and Wonder” as Want to Read:
Tigress: Read and Wonder

Tigress: Read and Wonder (Read and Wonder)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  10 reviews
One of nature’s most magical sights emerges from camouflage in this evocative, informative story about a mother tiger in the wild.

"The zoology is as exciting as the story in this action-packed picture book. . . .Thrilling science." — BOOKLIST

In a lyrical narrative featuring many intriguing facts, Nick Dowson reveals the hidden ways of a wild tigress and her cubs, while Jan
Published April 10th 2007 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Tigress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tigress

Aine O'riordan
Tigress is a nature storybook, written by teacher Nick Dowson. I picked this book because the illustrations which were done by Jane Chapman are absolutely breath taking. The use of colour and great detail makes them really stand out. The book also comes with a C.D. and on this you will find the Tigress story read by actor Stephen Tompkinson, a song called ‘Melting Tiger’, tiger secrets and facts and also a read along version of Tigress.
Tigress tells the story of a female Tiger, who raises her
Karen
Jan 09, 2015 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children and their parents
This has a LOT of educational information about tigers for a picture book! We all learned something new about tigers! The illustrations are beautiful.
Petra Be
This is a book for little kids who are interested in tigers and want to know something about their lives. Beautiful illustrations.
Gail
Again I thought my two year old would like this because it is about tigers, but I found the over-written language annoying. The pictures are beautiful, but not exciting to a toddler. As a teacher, I did like the tiger facts in italics throughout the book, but they weren't enough to redeem the book. Here is a book that adults will like more than children will.
Karen
We got this as a book on CD from the library. It was very well done. Jane Chapman does a phenomenal job with the illustrations (as usual). In addition to the story, each page also includes a fact about tiger behavior in the wild. Probably best for ages 5 and up.
Miss Leacock
Great for different text structures -- weaves information (in a different font) into the story. Though I didn't really like that there was fiction and nonfiction on every page of the story, it's a format I will still show the kids.
Jennifer Hortman
Ok, I didn't really like the story. In fact, I teared up at the end when all the tigers went their own way, but Madeleine loved this one. She cried when we took it back to the library. The illustrations are beautiful.
Pauline
Gorgeous illustrations and a pretty detailed account of a mother tigress and her two cubs. Not for you if you prefer children's books with 'happy endings' - this pretty much tells it like it is in nature.
Kari
Both kids love learning about animals, and they really just loved the illustrations of the beautiful tigers. Perfect for after our visit to see the new tiger at the Vilas Zoo.
Georgiana
Has facts about tigers in addition to lyrical story about raising tiger cubs.
Jennifer K
Jennifer K marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Candace Bolden
Candace Bolden marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Mariah
Mariah added it
Nov 30, 2014
Gustavo Santos
Gustavo Santos marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
T.A. Uner
T.A. Uner marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Kiyuo
Kiyuo marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Christelle
Christelle marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Cy
Cy added it
Nov 25, 2013
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2013
Nick Dowson is the author of TRACKS OF A PANDA and TIGRESS. A teacher and naturalist, he lives in Suffolk, England.
More about Nick Dowson...

Read and Wonder (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • A Field Full of Horses: Read and Wonder
  • All Pigs Are Beautiful: Read and Wonder
  • Bat Loves the Night: Read and Wonder
  • Big Blue Whale: Read and Wonder
  • Chameleons Are Cool: Read and Wonder
  • Dolphin Baby!
  • Gentle Giant Octopus: Read and Wonder
  • Growing Frogs
  • I Love Guinea Pigs (Read and Wonder Books)
  • Jody's Beans
North: The Amazing Story of Arctic Migration Tracks of a Panda Tigress (Nature Storybooks)