Start by marking “How to Write Short Stories” as Want to Read:
How to Write Short Stories

How to Write Short Stories

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
This practical informative handbook provides everything you need to know to write a first-rate short story. In clear, concise terms it covers all the steps in writing short fiction—from outlining the story to resolving plot conflicts.
Published November 1st 1994 by MacMillan Publishing Company (first published July 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about How to Write Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Write Short Stories

Rose
Probably one of the shortest guides to writing short stories I've perused as of late, but nonetheless a good one. If you've read any basic writing guides before, chances are you're not going to learn anything new in this particular book, but it's still a helpful way to juxtapose tips with your own writing and look at the different aspects just as a refresher, which is what I used it for. Beginning writers are far more likely to get more out of this work than veterans. Sorenson takes a bare bones ...more
Andrew
Apr 11, 2010 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very useful basic guide to writing short stories. Most of it I have read or heard elsewhere (e.g. "show, don't tell" - ever heard that one before?), but what I found useful was the examples used to illustrate the lessons.

The examples were good because I've always thought of formulas for writing short stories as, well, a bit formulaic. I wanted to write stories that didn't follow a formula, or stories that deliberately broke with the formula. But what I understood from reading this book
Killer of Dreams
A very basic book in its entirety. It felt as though I retook a basic English class from high school. The guide goes into detail on a very linear course in creating a short story but doesn't unearth any exceptions or different styles towards short stories but I do praise the book for detailing the publication process and the linear method of creating short stories.
Sep 09, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent guide for the beginning writer. It has great explanations, descriptive content and great examples of short stories. I was mesmerized by Nathaniel Hawthorne's, The Birthmark. The author gives the story such a thorough treatment, you would think you were in a college writing course. Of course, excellent pre- and post-writing advice throughout. Recommend for readers interested in writing short stories! My only negative comment is that it could have had more meat (more examples) and rec ...more
Jan
Feb 10, 2013 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jan by: Found in library
Slightly dated but still good advice on creating characters, setting, theme and other vital elements of a short story. Included an analysis of a story by a "master," Nathaniel Hawthorne -- "The Birthmark," which I'd never read. Excellent story but sets high standards for others to follow! Still, reading the book gave me some good ideas that I hope to use.
Rhonda Browning White
This is a good primer for beginning writers, and it makes a decent refresher course for someone who's been writing for a while. It's a short book and an easy read, so if you have a copy handy, it's worth a read.
Alan
Nov 22, 2015 Alan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Found the book to be very helpful and the tips to writing short stories seem easy to follow. It's a step by step how to that will be a benefit to anyone looking to write short stories.
Christine
Didn't finish before I had to return to the library. It was a short read though. Some of the information seemed dated and against the current market expectations.
Jackie Hay
Jul 05, 2013 Jackie Hay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful!!
vicki
vicki marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Molly Davies
Molly Davies is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2016
Justin Gasal
Justin Gasal rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Mary Tharp
Mary Tharp rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Mikki
Mikki marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Darlene
Darlene rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Samah Sheikha
Samah Sheikha marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Amanda Dicicco
Amanda Dicicco marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
AMARILIS
AMARILIS marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Racquel
Racquel marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Dani Sands
Dani Sands marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Andre'
Andre' marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2015
Gwendolyn Wood
Gwendolyn Wood marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Bill Tallitsch
Bill Tallitsch is currently reading it
May 04, 2015