Crown of Stars (The Crown of Stars, #7)

Crown of Stars (Crown of Stars #7)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,513 ratings  ·  30 reviews
In the wake of the cataclysm many new alliances are forming even as old ones dissolve. As Sanglant struggles to legitimize his own leadership, the Aoi are carrying out random attacks-while implicating him as their leader. Stronghand has begun a march of conquest into the heart of Sanglant's realm. Adelheid and Antonia have made an unholy alliance. And Sabella and Duke Conr...more
Published January 2nd 2007 by DAW (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Crown of Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crown of Stars

Graceling by Kristin CashoreVampire Academy by Richelle MeadAlanna by Tamora PiercePoison Study by Maria V. SnyderMoon Called by Patricia Briggs
Best "Strong Female" Fantasy Novels
385th out of 3,425 books — 8,615 voters
The Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingA Storm of Swords by George R.R. MartinHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
Best Fantasy Books of the 21st Century
432nd out of 1,316 books — 4,718 voters

More lists with this book...

Cendri
**Slight spoiler alert for those who haven't finished Vol. 5**

This was a nice series. After Elliott brought the Aoi land "safely" back to its starting place, one of the major plot arcs drew to a close, and I wasn't sure how she was going to maintain a satisfactory urgency and mystery from that point on. While I don't think that this book has quite the excitement and interest that the first ones did (it gets a bit long-winded sometimes, and Elliott spends a lot of time on needless details, in my...more
Katherine
Fantasy, last in the Crown of Stars series. The sweeping conclusion: though the world is riven and ravaged, the royal rivals continue fighting over the throne. The wave that has been building through the series crests and breaks in one last, great, bloody battle, after which we are given just enough hints to be sure that most of the protagonists lived happy lives. Conclusive, but rather hastily so considering the sheer bulk of the books that preceded it.
Melissa
Nov 23, 2008 Melissa rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Uhhh, didja see how many stars I gave it??
I couldn't bring myself to endure enough of the crap in this one to finish it, and I pride myself on slogging through to the end of a series when I've started. So that should tell you just how mangled the story gets in this one. Wasn't even worth my time to finish it...
Mairice
I enjoyed the complexity of this series. I cried knowing this was the last book. This series has allowed me to have my little escapes from the real world of being a medic in the military. I have followed this series for so long.
Servius  Heiner
This, the final book of Crown of stars series. Well the series was good, but it took an odd turn about the halfway point, some well developed characters started acting not so well developed. The overall story was great but Kate Elliot has some serious flaws as a writer.
I don’t want to harp on her because I know the difficulties in writing. Transitions from one characters point of view to another’s was often murky, to the point where you had to read to the next paragraph to realize the person y...more
Darla
Overall, good. I could not put it down until I read every word within every book of this series. The 6th book was, by far, the worst, and this last installment demonstrated a vast improvement. I especially enjoyed that some likable characters die and that some "villains" live. I don't like endings to be too soppy and "feel-good" and Ms. Elliott does pretty well with that. I really enjoyed her descriptives, except where the astronomy is elaborated on. I know that it is somewhat important to the s...more
♥ Unaeve ♥ Olga
I managed to read the first 150 pages and then finally gave up.
I don't like the writing style,the author jumps from one theme to another with no bridges between so i found my self reading back ,thinking i missed something .
All is somehow unconnected and unwell explained,
maybe it's just because English isn't my primary language but i had no problems with other books...
And there is way to much about religion,that dragged on the story and made me wish to jump over passages as i was bored and start...more
BD
Nov 26, 2011 BD rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Yes but with a disclaimer
Long as this series was, there seems to be a book missing still. I'm not sure why the jump at the end of this book unless she was just tired of working on it.

I really like Liath, Sanglant & many other characters. I would liked to have seen more character development with fewer & briefer what I call theology discussions. Definely I learned a bit but I skimmed & skipped some of that in earlier books. Astrology & sorcery yes, religion no..although it was interesting to see shifting...more
Kelly
I have enjoyed this series and it's taken a while to get to book 7.

'King Henry's kingdom has been ravaged by internecine warfare, in a conflict that has been both long and bloody. The bitter in-fighting within King Henry's court and the ceaseless attrition of raiders has weakened his reign and saps his strength. Yet brute force alone will not be enough to stay the darkness that has been foretold as the shadow of the Cursed Ones has fallen. The spell holding the exiled from the land is failing fa...more
Shelby
Finished this off over a years since I posted a review for the first book.

All in all, I adored this series. It really kept me busy and the story stayed interesting and believable throughout a 7 book series, which is excellent. My only complaint is that some of the main characters in the story were generally unlikable, Liathe and Blessing especially. Liathe probably doesn't deserve this dislike, but she was always a little too unaware of herself for my liking. Anyway, I would give a more detaile...more
Amy
This was one of the best Fantasy series I have read in a long time. Better then the Wheel of Time, in that it did not get off track and she did not pad out the books to make them longer and make the series take longer. Good character development. Fascinating characters and storylines. The great combo of political intrigue, military strategy, and the supernatural that make the best fanatasy series, very much in the tradition of George R. R. Martin, but of a style all it's own. I highly reccomend...more
Ben
I felt this is a solid finish to a well-written fantasy series. I think this series could have been better if Elliot would have removed some of the character POV's such as Ivar and focused more on two or three characters. Also, there is some sloppy writing at times(end of book 5 comes to mind). Furthermore, Elliot hyper-feministic views are annoying at certain points in the books (whatever men can do, women can do better!)I think she's been watching too much Xena:Warrior Princess.
type95
It took me a while to get to the last book but overall pleased with the series.
However would have liked the ending to show the paths which the other characters went down instead of just Liath and Sanglant, or just it to have mention briefly where they went/going.
The book was quite wordy and was getting annoyed as got to the end because it was taking so long and when I got there, a little disappointed but I'm glad I finished it.

Good overall plot and interesting concepts.
Jerry
Fantastic series with many, many characters and subplots. The story revolves around three main characters: Alain, an adopted youth intended for the monastery. Liath, an orphan incapable of realizing her considerable magical powers and Sanglant, captain of the Dragons.

King's Dragon (#1)
Prince of Dogs (#2)
The Burning Stone (#3)
Child of Flame (#4)
The Gathering Storm (#5)
In the Ruins (#6)
Crown of Stars (#7)

Josie
Overall? I liked the series. It reminds me of Guy Gavriel Kay's novels, except I didn't cry. I really liked Liath's journey, although it got kinda weird at times. I wish there was more about Alain and Stronghand together. Pretty good stuff, though I may have zipped past a lot of the religious and mathematici parts.
Sarah Jane
The Crown of Stars series is my first introduction into science fiction and fantasy novels. That's the only reason they would get such a high rating. As a young girl I related with the character Liath, especially her ability to escape to an attic in her mind where she hides all her pain. It taught me a valuable coping mechanism, and probably helped me in later years with meditation.
Deanne Robin
Finally finished the book and in the end I have to say I am very happy with how things turned out! It makes all the boring details u start to feel are being repeated actually worth it! I have to say I'm not usually this slow reading books.... Totally worth reading if you are into suspenseful wondering and multi point of view books! I Loved it!
Tim
The final volume of "Crown of Stars" is a nice rebound from a truly weak Vol. 6 (this one more precisely 3.5 stars), and decently delivers on the series' promise. The climax is merely OK, and I'm sure some people will be underwhelmed by it. Still, it's not a disappointment, and things are generally wrapped up in satisfactory fashion.
Rick
Finally finished this series. and was a bit sad I'll miss the characters, though some i felt got off too lightly (hugh) . Around the middle of the series i struggled a bit but i had a bit of a break and came back and reaqlly enjoyed the last 2 books.
Darkpool (protesting GR censorship)
Jul 12, 2007 Darkpool (protesting GR censorship) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers
Shelves: read-in-2007
The 7th and final in the series, finally finished. I really wish I'd read them a bit closer together rather than spread over about 3 years, and kept notes about who was where and with whom as there is a Cast of Thousands. Imaginative and interesting.
Jenny
remember bk 5 that i just stopped reading? i wanted to see how the series ended to i skimmed the last book ... yeah, shouldn't have started the series. that's what i get for just picking up a book in the library because it looked interesting
Peter Clarke
finally the last book and we finally get to the outcome of the series , however the end is too quick after six and a half books the last quarter is a little disapointing its over too quick , but it was still an excellent series
Param Deep Singh
not as good as the previous books in the series...

did i say that... sorry..
it was amazing... an ending i didn't even imagine..
i'd place it far above harry potter series and eragon series in terms of creativity...
Jay
Feb 06, 2008 Jay rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
This was a really an enjoyable end to the series. All of the loose ends were tied up and showed what happened to all of characters which I liked as I had grown close to them with each novel.
Arthur
Rubbish.
One of the worst endings. Such a huge disappointment. I was putting up with a lot of crap during the series hoping to arrive to at least an OK ending...

Waste of my time.
Dave
Mar 22, 2008 Dave rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers
Shelves: fantasy
The final book. Everything kind of comes together, but the ending left me kind of...disappointed. Not really in a bad way. It seems life goes on, even for heroes.
Doc Opp
Very satisfying end to a very satisfying series. J.K. Rowling could take a lesson in how to write a good epilogue from Elliot...
PJ
Horrible ending. Good until the last few chapters, but disappointingly curt end with seemingly tacked on epilogue.
Mom
I was so sorry to see this series end!
Anna
I wanted this series to continue.
  • Hunter's Death (The Sacred Hunt, #2)
  • Peril's Gate (Wars of Light & Shadow #6; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #3)
  • Warrior (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade Trilogy, #2)
  • The Golden Key
  • The Spirit Stone (The Silver Wyrm, #2) (The Dragon Mage, #5)
  • Fortress of Owls (Fortress, #3)
  • The Isle of Battle (The Swans' War, #2)
  • Wild Magic (Fool's Gold, #2)
  • The Twisted Citadel (DarkGlass Mountain, #2)
  • Children of the Serpent Gate (Tears of Artamon, #3)
  • Karavans (Karavans, #1)
As a child in rural Oregon, Kate Elliott made up stories because she longed to escape to a world of lurid adventure fiction. She now writes fantasy, steampunk, and science fiction, often with a romantic edge. It should therefore come as no surprise that she met her future husband in a sword fight.

When he gave up police work to study archaeology, they and their three children fell into an entirely...more
More about Kate Elliott...
King's Dragon (Crown of Stars, #1) Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2) Cold Magic (Spiritwalker, #1) The Burning Stone (Crown of Stars, #3) Child of Flame (Crown of Stars, #4)