Start by marking “The Oak Inside the Acorn” as Want to Read:
The Oak Inside the Acorn

The Oak Inside the Acorn

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  35 reviews
It was hard for Little Acorn to believe he would ever be a big, strong oak tree. Soon Little Acorn grew into Little Oak. But now what was he to do? He couldn't grow oranges like the orange tree or flowers like the rose bush. He just grew and grew until he became Big Oak, and his branches were big and strong-but still he didn't know what he was to do. Then one day Big Oak f ...more
Published October 31st 2006 by Thomas Nelson (first published February 29th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Oak Inside the Acorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oak Inside the Acorn

The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin by Beatrix PotterThe Nutcracker and the Mouse King by E.T.A. HoffmannThe Complete Peanuts, Vol. 1 by Charles M. SchulzMuch Ado About Nothing by William ShakespeareYou're Never Too Old for Nuts and Berries by G.B. Trudeau
Nuts!
41st out of 42 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Ashli Stroyan
This is an incredibly heart-warming story about how a tiny acorn can grow to be a big strong oak. This story is told from an acorn’s perspective and starts out with the little acorn talking to his mother, the Big Oak Tree. She tells him that a day will come where he will have to say goodbye and become the strong oak tree that he is meant to be. The acorn will grow into a big, strong oak tree in the farmer’s yard. My favorite line in the story is when mother tree says “inside you is a great oak. ...more
Christian Singer
One of those simple stories with a powerful message--just be who you were created to be. It's a great story for every kid . . . and every adult who feels directionless.
Diana
Not only is it an easy read but one that you will not want to put down. It has a profound, deep lesson for all ages. The book moved me to tears... how I loved it so. This one is definitely worth buying and owning for your library.
You will enjoy the beautifully illustrated pages by George Angelini. His other work includes My First Prayer Book. If you love the peace that one feels gazing about the countryside scenery, seeing the growth of trees then this is for you. Of course you will find a tree
Alice
This is a metaphor and I think the metaphor is poignant and important "Be what God made you to be" If you are an oak tree, be the best oak tree, if you are a flower be the best flower you can, if you are a Little Girl become the best Big Girl you can. The theme over and over and over is "Be what God made you to be" stating we all have a divine potential!

I thought it was a little long but the pictures are beautiful. I would say for me, the pictures sell the story it makes the long story manageabl
A.C. Bauch
To me, this book reads like the Christian version of The Giving Tree. I liked the story but felt it could have been much shorter and thus more poignant. Beautiful illustrations.
Caranna
A beautiful story about the potential in all of us.

It was hard for little acorn to believe that he could ever be a big, strong oak tree for he was very small.

Once he grew a little bigger he was sad that he couldn't grow flowers or fruit and wondered what his purpose was.

One day, after many years he was tall enough to see for miles and his strong branches were just right for a very special purpose.

"Within you is a great oak. Just be the tree God made you to be."

There is only one you and you a
~*mandy*~
Big Answers

We love reading Lucado. His words express deep truths, but in a way that my toddler enjoys listening to and understands.
Shelley
I loved the wise advice that there is an oak inside of us and to be who God made us to be. Parts of It even reminded me of The Giving Tree.
Tirzah
Very sweet, good concepts, loved the artwork which was all encompassing. Would totally read to my future children :)
Miria Barnes
A good story for people of all ages.
Elaine
Awesome story about Little Acorn, fearful of going off on his own, begins his life and searches for what his purpose is. He finds it as years go by, as he shares his life with Little Girl, who also has a hard time with the idea of growing up and letting go. Love the encouragement through out the book-"Be the tree God made you to be!". I cried at the end, as I always do at stories about growing up and leaving the nest.
Lindsey Feldpausch
A great lesson to accept your grand, specific purpose! Are you a gymnast? Don't compare yourself to those who are artists. Are you a chef? Don't be discouraged by those meant to be football players. Each person has a beautiful purpose. Be content with the divine plan that God has for you! Enjoy the years it takes to grow into it! Many lessons throughout the book for all ages of kids!
Kay
This book is a beautiful story that incorporates the story of a little girl growing up into the life cycle of an oak tree. This book made me cry. Of course, I've always some kind of connection to oak trees. And this story just grabbed my heart strings. Not really a huge Lucado fan, but this one definitely needs to belong on my bookshelf.
Melinda Garman
Great book to read the last day of school. Leave your students with the message that within them their is an oak tree, but emphasize that they can be whatever the want to be. Uses the phrase, "...the oak god created me to be." While reading to third grade class, I read it, "the oak I was meant to be." Appropriate for 3rd through 5th grade.
Kate Hastings
Apr 24, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: junior high high school
Shelves: christian
Too long to share with young children. Try with junior high and high school. Good message about patience and waiting to see what life has in store for you-- and that God will help you to be someone great!
Mandy J. Hoffman
This was a beautiful story of how an oak tree grows up and becomes what God wants it to be and how that relates to us as people. My girls enjoyed the story, especially my almost 6 year old.
Angela
I cried like a baby through the whole thing!! But my kids loved listening to it and I think (hope) it gave them some encouragement about what God has in store for them.
Love Livetravel
Honestly my all time favorite children's book! I have read this to my daughter numerous times. Each time my eyes fill with tears of joy by the final page! :) message received :)
Sasha
This is a terrific story and beautiful book. I'd have given it 5 stars, but I think the text could have been edited a bit more. Just a bit wordy and redundant.
Marci
This beautiful children's book totally supports my education philosophy. No child is the same and should be nurtured to become what God intended.
Katie Weber
Beautiful story for me to read to my girls. Beautiful pictures, well written text about growing up. Love it!
Jodie
Longer picture book with a great message about growing up and being who you were meant to be.
Alena
"Within you is a great oak, Little Acorn. Just be the tree God made you to be."
Rachel
Dec 08, 2011 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: awesome kids and adults
Recommended to Rachel by: Mo
Shelves: kiddos
Touching story about an acorn that grows up to be an oak. Thanks, Mo!
Heidi
Another great Max Lucado book about becoming what "God made you to be".
Addison
It's really respecting and it's about what God wants us to do.
Melissa
Cute story about growing up and becoming who God made you to be.
Sandra
Great book about your potential.... often give as a graduation gift.
Anica
If you loved "You are Special", you'll love this one too.
Aimee
This is my daughters favorite book. I liked it also.
  • The Squire and the Scroll: A Tale of the Rewards of a Pure Heart
  • I Loathe You
  • The Little Red Hen
  • If You Take a Mouse Five-Book Set (If You Take a Mouse to the Movies; If You Take a Mouse to School; If You Give a Moose a Muffin; If You Give a Mouse a Cookie; If You Give a Pig a Pancake)
  • Somewhere in the World Right Now
  • The Legend of the Poinsettia
  • The Very Hungry Bear
  • Multiplying Menace: The Revenge of Rumpelstiltskin
  • There's a Map on My Lap!: All About Maps
  • Who is Coming to Our House?
  • The New Adventures of Curious George
Max Lucado has touched millions with his signature storytelling writing style. Awards and accolades follow Max with each book he writes. Max is the first author to win the Gold Medallion Christian Book of the Year three times—1999 for Just Like Jesus, 1997 for In the Grip of Grace and 1995 for When God Whispers Your Name. In 2005, Reader’s Digest dubbed him “America’s Best Preacher.” In addition, ...more
More about Max Lucado...
You Are Special He Chose the Nails Facing Your Giants In the Grip of Grace: You Can't Fall Beyond His Love Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without Fear