Start by marking “Crowns: Portraits of Black Women in Church Hats” as Want to Read:
Crowns: Portraits of Black Women in Church Hats

Crowns: Portraits of Black Women in Church Hats

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Cunningham and Marberry offer a celebration of the style, pride, and verve of African-American women and their hats in magnificent photos and engaging essays. 50 photos.
Published October 31st 2000 by Doubleday Books (first published October 17th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Crowns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crowns

Toocutedobs
I found this in my local public library with a bookplate as a donated book. The cover is quite eye catching but that is only a teaser. The book first shows a photo of the lady and her hat--an important hat to be sure. Then the next two pages are the story the lady chose to tell about her hat. These hat stories always include bits of wisdom and lovely memories of family and friends. This was a joy to read and to view these ladies and those all important hats. I believe any woman reading this book ...more
refgoddess
I was looking at books with low circulation, and this one jumped out at me. My aunt met her best friend through mutual hat admiration, and, while I'm not a hat wearer, I love them on other people. This book fell open at the perfect quote: "Before we left for the party, my mother said we looked adorable. I said, 'Adorable ain't what we're shooting for.'"

Each black and white portrait is accompanied with an individual story about hats and life experience. This book is fascinating and beautiful and
Linda
"We just know inside we're queens. And these are the crowns we wear." Felecia McMillan - Journalist

Michael Cunningham's stunning black & white photographs and Craig Marberry's gift and ability to find the voices & stories of the women in the photos combine to give a beautiful view of black American women.
Azriella
This book, though not necessarily a book in the traditional sense, gives a great insight into the lives of African American women. The many women shown in the photographs are all different and each with their own lesson to teach us. This is a good coffee table book just to flip through.
CD
A brilliant visualization of a religious social phenomena. Humorous and serious while being very respectful and insightful.

I may kick this one up to a 5-star rating after I've let it sit and soak in for a few months.
Leslie
Aug 17, 2007 Leslie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: photographers and black history fans
These photos document an era that is passing, that of the elaborate hats that African-American women wear to church. I found the hats to be amazing. The ladies' expressions tell you a lot about themselves as well.
Barb Kissner
A wonderful book full of lovely photographs and a brief story told by each woman. Unique blend of history, hats, and generations of women who have a strong link to their heritage through their hats.
Linda L. Fenoff
I spent hours going over each of the short essays that accompanied the wonderful photos of women in their special and unique hats. I could read it a third time.
Evelyn Bryant
A beautiful book documenting a beautiful people. A most enjoyable book. The expressions on the faces of the women and the hats they wear....... perfect!
Reuel
Essays with accompanying photographs of Black women and their church hats. Set in the U.S. 1950s mostly.
Dominiquie
The photos are gorgeous, and their stories are moving! This is as powerful as I Dream A World.
Mary Havens
LOVED IT! Funny, insightful, beautiful and makes me want to go buy a hat. :)
Janet

Loved the book. Loved the pictures of the hats.

Kerry Kenney
Wonderful topic. Wonderful photos.
 Barb Bailey
Love hats, loved this book!
Daniel
I borrowed this book for my wife from an African-American Episcopal priest that I work with. I watched her reading it and with occasional laughter but always a smile and decided I need to take a look too! Great book with some great hats, "not the kind you'll find on a skinny old white woman."
Carmen
Crowns! Portraits of Black Women and their Church Hats; Young and Mature Queens show off their headress in this book. This book showcases beautiful pictures along with short biographies of the hat wearers and also goes briefly into the history behind the significance of hats in the black community.
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Denise Billings
Denise Billings marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Emma
Emma added it
Oct 06, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Leentje De bontridder
Leentje De bontridder marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Hair Story: Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America
  • In Focus: National Geographic Greatest Photographs
  • American Tapestry: The Story of the Black, White, and Multiracial Ancestors of Michelle Obama
  • This Little Light of Mine: The Life of Fannie Lou Hamer
  • What I Know for Sure: My Story of Growing Up in America
  • The Body Hunters: Testings New Drugs on the World's Poorest Patients
  • Ham Biscuits, Hostess Gowns, and Other Southern Specialties: An Entertaining Life (with Recipes)
  • God's Secretaries: The Making of the King James Bible
  • National Geographic: The Photographs
  • A Mighty Long Way: My Journey to Justice at Little Rock Central High School
  • At the Hands of Persons Unknown: The Lynching of Black America
  • Salvador Dali 2v
  • Gentleman's Guide to Grooming and Style
  • Circle of Fire (American Girl History Mysteries, #14)
  • The Emancipation of Robert Sadler: The Powerful True Story of a Twentieth-Century Plantation Slave
  • Dorothy Dandridge
  • Without Sanctuary: Lynching Photography in America
  • Impounded: Dorothea Lange and the Censored Images of Japanese American Internment
More about Michael Cunningham...
Queens: Portraits of Black Women and their Fabulous Hair Jewels: 50 Phenomenal Black Women Over 50 Spirit of Harlem: A Portrait of America's Most Exciting Neighborhood