Start by marking “God Laughs When You Die” as Want to Read:
God Laughs When You Die

God Laughs When You Die

2.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  48 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
A host of drug dealers meets a foe they cannot kill. The president accidentally invites demons into the country and watches the pope turn into a sabertooth tiger. A man, dead since 1920, lives again in present day Los Angeles to satiate a malevolent goddess. These tales by Michael Boatman will disturb, terrify and traumatize you. Boatman grabs you by throat and drags you k ...more
Published October 23rd 2007 by Dybbuk Press, LLC

To ask other readers questions about God Laughs When You Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God Laughs When You Die

Marisol
Aug 29, 2012 Marisol rated it liked it
Michael Boatman is a comic book and pop-culture Geek. Anyone who knows me well enough knows that he already earned points based on that fact alone.
I don't normally read horror because it doesn't have the same effect on me as watching horror so this is now one of few horror works I'm glad I took the time to read. The writing flows with the dark sense of humor required to enjoy the strange tales and the artwork included with each story just adds to my idea of Boatman's verbal story-telling skills
Chadwick Saxelid
Nov 23, 2014 Chadwick Saxelid rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Nine short stories "from the Wrong Side of the Tracks," written by actor Michael Boatman.

Folds: The Co-Executive Producer/Director of the tabloid trash heap that is The Morrie Stapler Show schedules the ultimate guest, a one hundred and twenty pound five year old that will eat anything. Anything.

The Tarantula Memoirs: Jack Greer, the former "Super Soldier of Hope, Happiness, and the American Ideal" known as the Tarantula, is called out of retirement to hunt down one of his Super Hero brethren th
Fishface
I had to have this when I saw the title. It's a very gritty and unpleasant set of short stories about all kinds of desperate people in desperate situations, taking desperate measures. My favorite, "the Drop," concerns two men in a rowboat trying to kill each other, as a carnivorous mermaid waits below to see how it will come out. The stories were written by TV and movie actor Michael Boatman, who always seemed so laid-back and nonabrasive to me. Who knew?
Logan
Jun 28, 2009 Logan rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, anthologies
Fun book, I read it in a couple hours yesterday.
Over the top comedy/horror in the genre(whose name I loathe) of "splatter punk". Illustrations cheapen the entire read-next time, use an actual illustrator, instead of a drunken 3 year old. Also, a more fastidious editor would be beneficial, and make the presentation that much more professional.

Apropos of the actual quality of the writing, I was happy to support a book written by a person of color featuring people of color in a genre that desperate
Heath Lowrance
Aug 20, 2012 Heath Lowrance rated it really liked it
Boatman's got style and vision. The vast majority of the stories in GOD LAUGHS WHEN YOU DIE are wildly inventive and unpredictable, cleanly written and forceful. Some of them will make you a little... uncomfortable. While the subject matter is deadly serious, there's a strange undercurrent of bleak, bleak humor here as well, the kind of humor you cling to when faced with ugly truths that can't be denied.

The only thing keeping this from a 5 star review was the somewhat messed-up formatting. But d
Daniel R.
Aug 07, 2010 Daniel R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun collection of extreme violence, nasty horror, freaky superheroics, funky death matches and more. Actor Boatman has the right sense of humor for horror. Includes an introduction from David J. Schow. Fans of old school Schow, Lansdale & Richard Christian Matheson will find much to enjoy here.
Daniel
Apr 20, 2013 Daniel rated it it was ok
I've enjoyed Michael Boatman the actor but this collection of his horror tales was somewhat uneven. There were a few good stories so I wasn't sorry I read it but it doesn't make me want to seek out more.
Jeffrey Miller
Apr 20, 2012 Jeffrey Miller rated it it was amazing
Fun, intense read. Not for the weak of heart.
Mark Monastyrski
Mark Monastyrski marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Aaron Lafond
Aaron Lafond marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Patrick
Patrick rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2015
Nika Won
Nika Won marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Lucia Gort
Lucia Gort rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2015
11811 (Eleven)
11811 (Eleven) marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Dwayne Satterwhite
Dwayne Satterwhite rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2015
Rachel Helwig
Rachel Helwig rated it it was ok
Mar 19, 2015
Will
Will added it
Mar 08, 2015
Angela Johnson
Angela Johnson marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
David Catney
David Catney marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Gracie
Gracie marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Chris
Chris added it
Jan 10, 2015
Jennifer Pulliam
Jennifer Pulliam marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Christopher Jones
Christopher Jones marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Denise Dills
Denise Dills rated it did not like it
Oct 03, 2014