Start by marking “The Last Magician” as Want to Read:
The Last Magician

The Last Magician

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  170 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
To all the world, Charlie is a successful adult, an in-demand photographer. But he is stalked by a cruel childhood secret which he shares with three others--one shrouded in silence . . . until now.
Published (first published January 4th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Magician, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Magician

T.D. Whittle
Sep 28, 2014 T.D. Whittle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
I have read all of Book I Charlie's Inferno, which means, up to page 147 where Book II Cat begins. I cannot talk myself into going any further with this, despite others giving the book good reviews and despite Turner Hospital's reputation as a fine Australian writer.

Maybe I will come back to this later, maybe not. I tend to agree with Amazon reviewer marmot's opinion:
"... written with a self-consciously literary style that precociously interferes with the narrative at times, with a feel of pre
abatage
Sep 17, 2009 abatage rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
As the title suggests, The Last Magician is a story thick with the fantasy and mystery threaded between a unique group of characters and their inner relationships that essentially end up shaping their entire world. There is a certain skill displayed when such a narrative has the ability to create magic from within the confines of very grounded subject matter.

Personally, I adored reading this book as Janette Turner Hospital takes her time with revealing the actual point of the tale, and instead t
Ma'lis Wendt
Dec 25, 2008 Ma'lis Wendt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating story of intersecting lives in Australia
Debra Morris
Nov 30, 2014 Debra Morris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. A great puzzle that surprises and makes you think. Amazingly beautifully written.
Celeste Rousselot
As with her other excellent novels (see Oyster and Orpheus Lost), Turner-Hospital has again created a detailed nightmarish world, this time comparing an open-pit mine and its workers in Brazil with the underground dwellings and poverty-stricken inhabitants of Sydney's inner city. There's even a mystery to boot. But at present I'm not in the mood for such darkness. Maybe I'll pick it up again later. For now though I'm pushing back to the "To Read" category.
Rebecca
Mar 09, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The description doesn't do this novel justice. This is a novel about friendship among people who have not figured out how to live in the world. It is about the social cages that we do and do not accept and about our willingness or unwillingness to see honestly the world around us. This is one of the few novels I have read twice. It is allegorical and complex and well written.
Katherine
It was a little too... gothic maybe? It was just so dark and swirling and very, very written. I was too distracted by the deliberate symbolism, word choice, structure etc., to become absorbed in the story, which somehow manages to be both convoluted and predictable.
Anne_MB
Jun 01, 2011 Anne_MB rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in Brisbane & Sydney, about a group of adults who shared a calamitous and life-changing event as children. I found the beginning section of the book difficult but enjoyed the book more and more as it progressed.
Sam Hopgood
Jul 01, 2007 Sam Hopgood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a little while to get into the groove of this book. Lots of random puzzle pieces being thrown around led to confusion but persistence was rewarded in the end. Loved it.
Jake
May 26, 2012 Jake rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
With the exception of another book by Turner Hospital, rarely if ever have I been in so much pain as I struggled to finish a book I was obligated to read. I loathed it.
Mark Hill
Nov 01, 2009 Mark Hill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A stunning novel! The prose is immaculate, the story is gripping. And the lesson one can learn from it is wonderful. I was hooked at the first paragraph.

Steve
Aug 28, 2012 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Hospital has crafted a complex novel, and one that really needs to be read more than once to appreciate.
Jane
Oct 29, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating book that is difficult to classify, set in a part-real, part-fantasy version of Australia
The Chicks
Kelly's pick (last time I take a recommendation without reading it first)
Velvetink
bargain = 1 of 29 books for $5.
Yvonne
Dec 02, 2012 Yvonne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All-time fave
Mark Schulman
Jun 12, 2013 Mark Schulman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent
Denise
Denise is currently reading it
Apr 17, 2016
Mustafa Acungil
Mustafa Acungil rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Butterfly Flute
Butterfly Flute rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Kerenskable .
Kerenskable . rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Churrell
Churrell marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Gigi1997
Gigi1997 marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
BookishWordish
BookishWordish marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Karyn
Karyn marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
  • The Mountain
  • The Fine Colour of Rust
  • Strandloper
  • Lola Bensky
Born in 1942, Janette Turner Hospital grew up on the steamy sub-tropical coast of Australia in the north-eastern state of Queensland. She began her teaching career in remote Queensland high schools, but since her graduate studies she has taught in universities in Australia, Canada, England, France and the United States.

Her first published short story appeared in the Atlantic Monthly (USA) where i
More about Janette Turner Hospital...

“The futility of action does not absolve one from the failure to act. -” 10 likes