Start by marking “The Last Magician” as Want to Read:
The Last Magician

The Last Magician

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  16 reviews
To all the world, Charlie is a successful adult, an in-demand photographer. But he is stalked by a cruel childhood secret which he shares with three others--one shrouded in silence . . . until now.

To ask other readers questions about The Last Magician, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Magician

T.D. Whittle
I have read all of Book I Charlie's Inferno, which means, up to page 147 where Book II Cat begins. I cannot talk myself into going any further with this, despite others giving the book good reviews and despite Turner Hospital's reputation as a fine Australian writer.

Maybe I will come back to this later, maybe not. I tend to agree with Amazon reviewer marmot's opinion:
"... written with a self-consciously literary style that precociously interferes with the narrative at times, with a feel of pre...more
abatage
As the title suggests, The Last Magician is a story thick with the fantasy and mystery threaded between a unique group of characters and their inner relationships that essentially end up shaping their entire world. There is a certain skill displayed when such a narrative has the ability to create magic from within the confines of very grounded subject matter.

Personally, I adored reading this book as Janette Turner Hospital takes her time with revealing the actual point of the tale, and instead t...more
Ma'lis Wendt
Fascinating story of intersecting lives in Australia
Celeste Rousselot
As with her other excellent novels (see Oyster and Orpheus Lost), Turner-Hospital has again created a detailed nightmarish world, this time comparing an open-pit mine and its workers in Brazil with the underground dwellings and poverty-stricken inhabitants of Sydney's inner city. There's even a mystery to boot. But at present I'm not in the mood for such darkness. Maybe I'll pick it up again later. For now though I'm pushing back to the "To Read" category.
Rebecca
The description doesn't do this novel justice. This is a novel about friendship among people who have not figured out how to live in the world. It is about the social cages that we do and do not accept and about our willingness or unwillingness to see honestly the world around us. This is one of the few novels I have read twice. It is allegorical and complex and well written.
Katherine
It was a little too... gothic maybe? It was just so dark and swirling and very, very written. I was too distracted by the deliberate symbolism, word choice, structure etc., to become absorbed in the story, which somehow manages to be both convoluted and predictable.
Anne_MB
Set in Brisbane & Sydney, about a group of adults who shared a calamitous and life-changing event as children. I found the beginning section of the book difficult but enjoyed the book more and more as it progressed.
Sam Hopgood
It took me a little while to get into the groove of this book. Lots of random puzzle pieces being thrown around led to confusion but persistence was rewarded in the end. Loved it.
Jake
With the exception of another book by Turner Hospital, rarely if ever have I been in so much pain as I struggled to finish a book I was obligated to read. I loathed it.
Mark Hill
A stunning novel! The prose is immaculate, the story is gripping. And the lesson one can learn from it is wonderful. I was hooked at the first paragraph.

Graf
Hospital has crafted a complex novel, and one that really needs to be read more than once to appreciate.
Jane
A fascinating book that is difficult to classify, set in a part-real, part-fantasy version of Australia
The Chicks
Kelly's pick (last time I take a recommendation without reading it first)
Velvetink
bargain = 1 of 29 books for $5.
Alisa
Alisa marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Jose
Jose marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Nadica
Nadica marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Sharonm
Sharonm marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
G
G added it
Jul 13, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Ana Carvalho
Ana Carvalho marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Anya
Anya marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Paul Mckessar
Paul Mckessar marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Born in 1942, Janette Turner Hospital grew up on the steamy sub-tropical coast of Australia in the north-eastern state of Queensland. She began her teaching career in remote Queensland high schools, but since her graduate studies she has taught in universities in Australia, Canada, England, France and the United States.

Her first published short story appeared in the Atlantic Monthly (USA) where i...more
More about Janette Turner Hospital...
Orpheus Lost Oyster Due Preparations for the Plague The Ivory Swing The Tiger in the Tiger Pit

“The futility of action does not absolve one from the failure to act. -” 9 likes