Start by marking “Sugar and Spite (Savannah Reid Mystery, Book 5)” as Want to Read:
Sugar and Spite (Savannah Reid Mystery, Book 5)

Sugar and Spite (A Savannah Reid Mystery #5)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  723 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Savannah Reid, the "full-figured" private detective who wowed critics and readers dike in G.A. McKevett's acclaimed mysteries, is back with a vengeance. This time out, it's Valentine's Day and the former Dixie belle with the take-no-prisoners attitude, is turning her voracious appetite toward a case that hits very close to the heart. When her ex-partner's ex-wife is found ...more
Published January 1st 2000 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Sugar and Spite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sugar and Spite

June Ahern
I ask myself each time I read G. A McKevett's Savannah Reid's mystery series why the author has to have her protagonist eat so much. I swear between McKevett, Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum and Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone mysteries I must have gained - a bunch of weight with all that eating of high sugar, fried, fast food going on. Makes a girl hungry and eager to find out - who did done it! Besides the eating I enjoy the women who-done-it enough to return. 'Sugar and Spite' (and love the ti ...more
Tabby Kat
Savannah Reid, erstwhile police officer and current PI, has deep Georgia roots and close ties to the family of friends she's built in Southern California, especially Dirk, her former partner and buddy. When Dirk's ex-wife is found in his trailer, shot with Dirk's gun, it looks very bad indeed. But never you mind: Savannah, armed with a passion for food and oozing steel-magnolia charm, sees what needs to be done. The plot encompasses skinheads, a Renaissance fair, stupid e-mail tricks, and abusiv ...more
Nathalie S
Aug 01, 2014 Nathalie S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After having read about Savannah and Dirk being married, it was fun to go back to when they were just friends. Although, there was always a little romantic tension in the background, which they would have staunchly denied of course. Great mystery as always.
Barbara Patten
Mar 02, 2016 Barbara Patten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Savannah Reid Mysteries ! This one was really good. Savannah's ex-partner, and best friend, Dirk Coulter finds himself facing murder charges. Lots of action and interesting story line.
Gail
Apr 11, 2009 Gail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
McKevett's books about the bodacious Southern private detective, Savannah Reid have a formula. As a reader, you don't seem to mind the predictable turn of events, the over-the-top southernisms (that can get tiresome) and the characters that don't evolve or change. Savannah's ex-partner [from when she was a cop:] is in big trouble. His ex-wife is murdered with his weapon in his trailer. Savannah is on the case to prove her friend innocent and the idiot brass wrong. Her hedonistic delight in sweet ...more
Sara
Mar 04, 2016 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just another enjoyable read in this series. Love having a full figured detective who can enjoy her food unabashedly. Great series to read when you want fun, lighthearted entertainment.
Susan
Jul 22, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable read in the series.
Debra McEathron
Jul 03, 2015 Debra McEathron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Savannah got her wish is this story. A fun mystery.
Christyn
Mar 08, 2013 Christyn rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! Savannah is a great heroine, feisty and likable, loyal, determined and nurturing at the same time. While I didn't read the series in order (this is my first Savannah Reid book) I enjoyed her character and look forward to reading more (both the previous and subsequent books) about her and the others (Dirk, Tammy, Ryan and John). Beyond the characters, I thought the mystery itself was solid, with enough twists and turns to keep things interesting. A light enjoyable read. 4. ...more
Cara
May 19, 2008 Cara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2008
Carol Hassett
just a nice light mystery
Ron Judenberg
Feb 29, 2016 Ron Judenberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
read
Debbie
Apr 25, 2015 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a fun read
Marcia
Mar 25, 2013 Marcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book in the Savannah Reid series. The murders are not particularly gruesome. The characters are believable and a bit complex. Savannah has mixed feelings for Dirk, although she is in full "mother hen" mode after he is arrested. The book adds details of everyday life such as meals, which give the reader a sense of reality, which so many mysteries do not.
Shannon
Jan 07, 2012 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really cute book if you want a light read and a private detective storyline. I wish it had been twice as long so that once the plot twist kicked in the author could have really delved into a solid and edge of your seat backstory. It's the perfect book to read just before Valentine's Day!
Christine
Sep 26, 2011 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this story surrounding Dirk's ex being murdered you feel the tight bond between the Detective Agency crew. Food can cure any ailment especially if it has butter in it. I enjoy Savannah, her quirkiness, bath loving, chocolate addiction and smart wit to solve any crime.
Linda Hodges
Jan 25, 2011 Linda Hodges rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. Savannah's "southern graces" are so foreign to me (being from the Northwest) that her actions and reactions entertain me almost as much as the storyline. A great, easy read that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Heather Wilmoth
Jun 10, 2012 Heather Wilmoth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read it before my final exams to not be stressed! I love mysteries since I was introduced to Nancy Drew Series as a kid this happens to be one of my fun to read mystery books for Valentine's Day;)
Mary Z : )
Jul 24, 2013 Mary Z : ) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a lot of books in this genre, and I'm always on the lookout for a new series author. This is a winner, and I'll be reading more Savannah Reed adventures in the future.
Kat
Mar 20, 2011 Kat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another good one. the next one is on order. this one her x partner got in trouble, they thought he killed his x wife. but of course he didnt! and Savannah proved it.
Joy
Sep 12, 2009 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Savannah Reid mysteries! It's not easy combining comedy and mystery but the author does it very well while injecting suspense.
Lydia
Oct 14, 2013 Lydia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-cozy
I didn't really mean to pick this up. It was better than the other one I read, yet does not entice me to read any more of the series.
Kim
Oct 19, 2008 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the familiar characters and yet they're still developing. Read the book in two days, they are hard to put down!
Daelith
May 14, 2008 Daelith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this sassy Southern heroine! First book I've read in these series and I will be collecting more of them.
Kitty Tomlinson
Savannah's former police partner is arrested after the murder of his ex-wife in his home. Fun read.
Anita
Jun 06, 2011 Anita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love her character, being a woman of the south, I can relate
to her. Fiesty and lovable at the same time.
Kim
Feb 07, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good one. These keep me in suspense, so it makes for a quick read.
Rosie
Sep 30, 2008 Rosie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
The characters are so like able. Savannah is my hero.
Babs Brodie
Mar 31, 2013 Babs Brodie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very good entry in this series. recommend highly.
Nanette
Sep 04, 2012 Nanette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my fave crime solving gals. :O)
Madison Mega-Mara...: Sugar and Spite 1 3 Mar 28, 2012 03:03PM
  • A Catered Valentine's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #4)
  • Murder Takes the Cake (Daphne Martin, #1)
  • The PMS Murder (A Jaine Austen Mystery #5)
  • You Cannoli Die Once (Italian Restaurant Mystery, #1)
  • The Body in the Bouillon (Faith Fairchild, #3)
  • Hell Hath No Curry (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #15)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • Stay At Home Dead (Stay At Home Dad Mystery #1)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
  • Twice As Dead (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #6)
  • A Little Yuletide Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #11)
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)
  • A Taste for Murder (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #1)
  • To Live & Die in Dixie (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #2)
Since publication of her first novel in 1986, Sonja Massie has authored over fifty published works, including the highly popular and critically acclaimed SAVANNAH REID MYSTERIES under the pseudonym G. A. McKevett.

Sonja's novels range from Irish historicals to contemporary thrillers. Her earthy humor and fast-paced plots delight her fans, while critics applaud her offbeat characterizations and inci
More about G.A. McKevett...

A Savannah Reid Mystery (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Just Desserts (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #1)
  • Bitter Sweets (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #2)
  • Killer Calories (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #3)
  • Cooked Goose (Savannah Reid, #4)
  • Sour Grapes (Savannah Reid, #6)
  • Peaches and Screams (Savannah Reid, #7)
  • Death by Chocolate (Savannah Reid, #8)
  • Cereal Killer (Savannah Reid, #9)
  • Murder à la Mode (Savannah Reid, #10)
  • Corpse Suzette (Savannah Reid, #11)