Start by marking “Song of the North (Dalriada Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Song of the North (Dalriada Trilogy, #3)

Song of the North (Dalriada Trilogy #3)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  360 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Roman Britain, 366 AD: Minna, an eighteen-year-old Roman serving girl, leads a quiet life with her grandmother, a Celtic herbal healer. But when her beloved grandmother dies, Minna must make a difficult choice--marry a man she loathes, or venture out alone to track down her brother, a soldier in a Roman garrison stationed in the wartorn and wild Scottish borderlands.

Despe

Published January 10th 2008 by Overlook Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Song of the North, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Song of the North

Ellise
This was such an amazing book. I had my doubts though; set 300 years after The Dawn Stag with no more Rhiann or Eremon. I didn't know whether i would be able to enjoy it or even finish it. But i did! And my god was i so wrong! This one book alone took me so much deeper into the lives of the characters and the land of Alba than both previous book in the series could ever. Instead of having to grow on the characters such as Rhiann, i fell in love with Minna from the beginning. I had no trouble rea ...more
Kelly

I'll be brutally honest here: When I first picked up The White Mare a couple of weeks back, I never thought I'd even want to read the 2nd book of the Dalriada trilogy. I never thought I'd make it to the end of the 3rd book, and that it'd leave me craving for more.

So The Boar Stone is said 3rd book, and it's set about 300 years after the conclusion of The Dawn Stag. We are first introduced to the story through Minna, a mostly-Roman, slightly-Alban slave girl. I'm not going to spoil anything abo
An
Apr 07, 2011 An rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
For me, this was by far the best book in the trilogy.

Unlike Rhiann in the first two books, who had to grow on me, I adored Minna from the start. I was also a big fan of Ruarch, who reminded me a LOT of Lorn, though I liked Ruarch better. At one point during the attack of the Picts I thought he was dead (NOOO!), and then he heroically returns to save his king's life (YEAH!). And then he died after all. :p

The whole feel of magical-love-is-all-around in this book was amazing. Also the idea of past
Abby
Definitely better than the second book, The Dawn Stag, The Boar Stone takes place a few centuries later, with the descendants of the characters in the first two books. The plots are very similar, but with a different take and not so drawn out. In fact, the ending seemed a bit rushed in comparison to the rest of the books, but probably only in comparison. The Boar Stone interweaves well with the first two, picking up threads in a way that is useful, not forced. The characters are also different e ...more
Donia
This is the final book in Jules Watson's Alba trilogy - and this last one is my favorite, by far. Though I loved Rhiann, Minna is much more decisive and I thoroughly enjoyed reading about her journey.

Watson relies upon Ammianus Marcellinus'- a Roman historian - Res Gestae for her historical details regarding the Romans in Britain. Cahir, king of Dalriada, takes up his ancestor, Eremon's, mission to expel the Romans from Britain. He is aided by Minna, a Roman slave.

I loved these characters. The
Ioana Colfescu
... I loved this book. I was so sorry when it ended :).
Heather Robinson
I enjoyed the whole Dalriada Trilogy.
Sharon
This book takes you 300 years later to to about AD 366, to Roman Britain and The Wall that separated Scotland (Alba) from the rest of Britannia. We first know Minna as a Roman serving girl but she really turns out to be a vessel of the Goddess returned in another life to fulfill a purpose. That is to let Cahir, King of the Dalriadans in Scotland, become aware that it is time to rise up against the Romans in another epic battle. The lore of how the Mother Goddess manifests herself in Minna is wha ...more
Flora
Shelly
The Song of the North is the new name for the book, I actually read the original book The Boar Stone, I had to buy this on the Amazon.com UK site which cost me 3 times more than the first two books, funny thing is one of the sellers on the UK site was in the United States but I still had to pay the "pounds" price, tried to get a hold of the seller but they wouldn't reply back. Still I am glad I got the original book as it matches the first two books. Good books!
Noni Barker
I really enjoyed reading this book although I have not read the first two of the trilogy.
Karen
Maybe my attention span is shorter now that I have more going on in my life, but I cannot get into this one as easily or as quickly as the first two in the series. Perhaps it's the multiple generations after the characters in books 1 & 2 that create too much of a time lapse. I'm not sure, but I'm just not getting through this one like the others. I think it's going back to the library for now.
Jessica
I was worried at first that the disconnect of hundreds of years would make this last in the trilogy more difficult to love. But as soon as the plot tied the story to that of Rhiann/Eremon, I loved it every bit as much. While the characters were not as detailed, and therefor harder to become as attached to, the end of a tale that began centuries before made up for it.

Amy
While I enjoyed the story of this book as much as the other two in the trilogy, I didn't think the character development was as strong. It felt like the author was relying on you having read the previous books (which feature different characters) and applying what you know about the types of characters she creates and the relationships they have to these new characters.
Elaine
The fantastic conclusion (aka "The Boar Stone"), to thr Dalraida trilogy. As it jumps several hundred years to the future, I approacched it with bated breath, expecting almost, to be disappointed. However, the concluding episode is the best of the three! very much looking forward to more from this outstading new author.
Jennie
I really loved this book! It is the third in a trilogy- but I started with it- it is historical fiction which takes place in England during the time of the Roman occupation. The characters are beautifully detailed and the main character goes from being a servant to slave to queen. This book has both action and romance.
Penny
Fantasy? History? Another Celtic tale, this time of the final conflict between the tribes of Alba (ancient Scotland) and the last remaining Romans. I have to give it some fantasy points as these things always have some sort of Ancient Magick at work. But, a good tale.
Ann Love
This was my favorite of the trilogy-I'm glad I stuck it out! While this is a work of fiction, Watson does an excellent job of setting the scene of the book (all the books, really). It probably helps that she's an archaeologist who's worked excavating Roman forts...
Margareth8537
Wondered how this was going to link in with the other two in the series about Eremon and Rhiann, as this takes place 300 years later.
Nicely worked in, though.
At times I got rather fed up with the mysticism, but got quite attached to the characters
Linda
To me this is not the third book, it's a different story. Maybe just bad timing, but I didn't like it that much. And maybe I just expected more of the original story that took place in the first two books, so my mind was closed.
Sara
Nov 09, 2008 Sara rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sara by: Alaina
Gail
Dec 21, 2008 Gail added it
Shelves: novels, not-owned
I enjoyd this story. I was little disappointed to find that it is not historically accurate, although I think little is known about names and events of that time and region.
A good read.
Jami
It was ok. Definitely better than the second book but still kind of blah. Cian's character disappointed me. I didn't rush back to read it.
Taania
I love reading any of Jules Watsons Books. Just The best read. Had all my emotions working overtime I got angry I cried and I fell in love
Alisha
*Warning, you should NOT start this book when you need to be productive in the near future. Or if you need to work. Or sleep.
Inthacy
A little bit hard to read (because of its complexity) but beautiful and worthy. Read it! A fine conclution of the series.
Sheri
This is actually the third book of the triology, but I read it first. It was so good I had to read the others.
Joan
Scotland (Alba), ancient history. Picts, druids, Romans, a love story. now I have to get the first two in the series!
Linda Wallis
I love this writer!! Her descriptions and characters are really strong!!
Can't wait for her next book!
Kristie (fabk)
Love Love Love this serious, however, my copy of this book is entitled The Boar Stone.
  • Dreaming the Serpent Spear (Boudica, #4)
  • The Well of Shades (The Bridei Chronicles, #3)
  • Ravens of Avalon (Avalon #6)
  • Circle of Stones (Circle, #1)
  • The Winter Mantle
  • The Burning Time
  • The Greener Shore: A Novel of the Druids of Hibernia
  • The Lure of Shapinsay
  • Wormwood (Wormwood #1)
  • The Light Bearer
  • The Eagle and the Raven
  • Morrigan's Brood (Morrigan's Brood, #1)
  • Visions of the Cailleach: The Myths, Stories and History of the British / Celtic Earth Shaping Crone Goddess of Winter
  • The Warrior's Princess
  • Shall We Gather
  • The Pillar of the Sky
  • The Grey Horse
Jules Watson was born in Australia to English parents. She came to fiction via archaeology and public relations, working most recently as a freelance writer in England. She and her Scottish husband divide their time between the United Kingdom and Australia.
More about Jules Watson...

Dalriada Trilogy (3 books)
  • The White Mare (Dalriada Trilogy, #1)
  • The Dawn Stag (Dalriada Trilogy, #2)
The White Mare (Dalriada Trilogy, #1) The Dawn Stag (Dalriada Trilogy, #2) The Swan Maiden The Raven Queen The Boar Stone: Book Three of the Dalriada Trilogy