Start by marking “Holly Would Dream” as Want to Read:
Holly Would Dream

Holly Would Dream

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  376 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Holly Ross often wishes she lived in a simpler time, when the clothes were glamorous, the men debonair, and the endings happy. That said, her career as a fashion historian isn't so bad. With both a wedding and a big promotion coming up, her own happily ever after seems assured.

So how, in the space of one day, does it all go wrong? How does she end up homeless, jobless, p...more
Published June 3rd 2008 by Touchstone (first published May 17th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Holly Would Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holly Would Dream

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingSomething Blue by Emily GiffinPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Best chicklit
378th out of 584 books — 860 voters
Being Audrey Hepburn by Mitchell KriegmanOh Yeah, Audrey! by Tucker ShawHolly Would Dream by Karen QuinnSuddenly Royal by Nichole ChaseHow to Be a Hepburn in a Hilton World by Jordan Christy
Breakfast at Tiffany's-Inspired Covers
3rd out of 12 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Beverly Diehl
A Sweet, Funny, Callback to Classic RomCom

Want to read a classic Hollywood movie while at the beach (or anywhere else)? This book's for you.

It's kind of a mash-up of classic 50's RomComs - a bit like Sabrina, a bit like Breakfast at Tiffany's, a bit like all the wonderful Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant movies. Light. Funny. We get to sample the world of high-fashion and Serious Money the way Holly does, as a poor girl with her nose pressed against the Tiffany's window, looking wistfully in. Coutu...more
Lydia Laceby
Originally Reviewed at Novel Escapes

Rated 3.5 Star

Holly Would Dream had an interesting story once I got into it, which admittedly took a little while. It was an easy read, chalk full of cheesiness, but Karen Quinn does a good job of making the impossible seem possible in this novel right through to the end and keeps the pace moving quickly.

It was an amusing single girl read but I found it often tried a bit too hard with it’s snappy quips and Holly’s thoughts sometimes didn’t seem to fit with my...more
Britt Griffith
Kathy Chung
I know chic lit is supposed to be honey sweet , light and allowance should be given if the plot is a bit "stretched"; but this one is just over the top

First of all, the story. Holly supposed to.be a working class girl chasing a promotion, had a fiance, met a rich guy , lost her luggage which contain priceless dress from the fashion museum. But then for such
Suspenseful moments, holly doesn't seems to have any urgency .

And there seems to be too much lucky break for holly. Whenever she is in a f...more
Jennifer Bagazin
Dreams do come true. At least, it does in fiction. I mean I dont think that much good fortune can happen to anyone (well maybe for some people, but I certainly haven't met anyone who was exceptionally lucky yet). I enjoyed the book. It was thoroughly entertaining and fast paced. I especially loved the setting. I mean, who could not love Rome? The cruise that Holly was on was like rekindling the fire I have for the RMS Titanic.

I found no fault in the book actually. It was properly organized, the...more
Law Kelly
I bought this book with a heart to be fascinated, but it end up quite awfully. I was bombarded by a series of fashion stuff that i don't even know.And i thought this would be like a Pretty Woman type of book. Instead, i found myself torturing my mind my skipping through those fashion-related stuff. All in all, this book is nice, minus the fashion parts.
Andrea Marshall
This adorable book is filled to the brim with subtle (and not-so-subtle) Audrey Hepburn references, many of them lines from her movies that are used in conversations between the book characters. The storyline is non-stop action, romance and hilarity. Set in several beautiful cities, this book is a must-read for all Audrey Hepburn fans!
Anna
I am a huge fan of Audrey Hepburn so when I saw the picture on the spine of the book my heart did a little squeeze and i had to buy it!
I didn't expect the book to be so good! I loved the plot and the characters and couldn't put it down; it was all I thought about if I did. I loved the references to Audrey's films and the classic happy ever after.
Jessica
Utter rubbish. It should have been published as a Harlequin romance because it was nothing more. The Audrey Hepburn movie references were only mildly amusing. A direct quote from the book..."Talking about sex in the same breath as Audrey Hepburn. That's sacrilege. It insults her memory. The woman was a saint." And yet, here is the book's heroine jumping in bed with any man that glances her way. The point of the book is supposed to be that you shouldn't expect movie endings, but what does she get...more
Paula
I don't expect much when I read Chick Lit. I'm not looking for complex characters or an intricate story line. I'm even okay with a predictable story and a neat and tidy ending. It's why I enjoy chick-lit and why I have my own rating system for chick lit.
Chick-lit criteria. Are there fun likable characters? A fast paced story line? Do I want to keep reading? Is the writing decent? Does the author tell a good story? I can say yes to all of the above with Holly Would Dream. I'm not sure how I came...more
RYCJ
I really liked the way `Holly Would Dream' flowed. Pacing was extra nice, and I always love big doses of pleasant humor. I will say however, the story was a little predictable. Well, somewhat... in a Devil Wears Prada exhibitionist, adventurous sort of way, which I am borrowed to add, Prada was my all-time favorite movie... minus the adventure no less! In total, there are only two other comments I have left to say.

One. How many gaffes do `we' stitch into one story before totally freeing the mos...more
Shelby N.
This was a quick fun read. The whole story and everything that happens are pretty unrealistic, but I enjoyed it anyway. Would be a good summer beach read.
Erin Brooks
If you have a flair for 1940s and 1950s fashion icons, movie stars, and singers, this is the book for you. Holly is a down-on-her-luck fashion junkie with an obsession for happily-ever-afters and old Audrey Hepburn films. The novel chronicles her adventures while aboard one of the ritziest cruise lines in the world as she flirts with a business tycoon, lectures guests on vintage fashion, and chases authentic Audrey Hepburn gowns across Europe. It isn't a terribly dense read, but is a fun quick b...more
Jennifer Tatroe
When critics declare a book to be a "fast-paced romp," I imagine this is just the type of story they're talking about. There wasn't really anything surprising in the plot of Holly Would Dream. Holly is a young, down-on-her-luck, fashion historian thrust into a delightful chase after some lost (or possibly stolen) Audrey Hepburn costumes. There's glamourous backdrops, fairy tale men, luxurious bubble baths, and jaw-dropping outfits. And, of course, a happy ending. I doubt I'm giving anything away...more
Brooke
Once again, this is not my typical Christian fiction book so if that is what you are looking for you may not like this one. That being said this book was as funny as the first book I read by this author. I laughed out loud in many, many parts! The story was a bit far fetched but didn't seem out of place for the type of story it was. I would recommend this book and I plan on trying to find another book by this author.

Cauthion: Adult themes, sexual situations
Vicky
Although super, super predictable and cheesy, the narrator actually made me laugh out loud. The author's knowledge of all things Hepburn was admirable and her characters were lovingly written; I even learned about a bit about the museum world. Holly's experience in Rome left me nostalgic and made me want to revisit the Eternal City. I really enjoyed this light-hearted book--it was just what I needed to pick me up from a heavy novel I'd read beforehand.
Holly Ross is a very likeable character. She is never afraid of being who she is, never apologises for being herself. She gets into some pretty unpredictable, outrageous situations - a bit calamity prone. This was a fun read. Sort of holidayish, but not the greatest holiday read ever. If you're into Audrey Hepburn, you'll probably like this - herself and her movies and characters and dresses are mentioned very often.
Melissa Kayden
Cute book. An easy, chick lit read. If you are really into Audrey Hepburn movies (or similar 50's romantic comedies), you will really enjoy the book. I hadn't seen most of the movies referenced in the book, but I might be inspired to watch them.

This book is not earth shattering, but it is cute and I read it in a day or two. If you are looking for a nice summer beach read, I would recommend it.

Muriel
This book started out strong for me, I found it quite charming, smart about fashion and witty. Unfortunately it started to grate on me three-quarters of the way in becoming impossibly cutesy, I think it just went on far too long. I would really give it two-and-a-half stars if I could but I'll be nice and round up since I really did enjoy the beginning of the book quite a lot.
carol
Not a book that I would normally read at all. Picked it up by mistake (didn't pay attention to the cover, thought that it was a Jeffrey Archer book because the top one was and I took the bottom one). But I liked it. I liked the style. It was a no-brainer, fantasy, feel-good chic-lit. A fun read. (3-stars only because it's not my usual genre)
Heather

I read half the book (200 pages) and had to give up. The characters are not well developed (they were more annoying than endearing).

The story develops as one unbelievable event or coincidence after another - it's hard to forget for one minute that you're reading about fictional people in a fictional world.
Rachel Hawes
Oooh this was lovely! If you love Audrey Hepburn and old 50s films you will love this. It's a gorgeous tale of the very rich, the history of fashion and trying to snag a millionaire with Interpol on your tail for the theft of some vintage gowns. Read it just for the character of Pops who is awesome!
Ashleigh
Sassy yet cheesy book. It got me hooked but a lot of it was too expected or too typical but regardless I wanted to know how it ended and could not wait to finish the book despite knowing what the ending most likely would be. A good girly book to sit down with and enjoy.
Sandra Grauschopf
All I was expecting from this book was a cute chick-lit story, and it fell short even of that. The plot totally unbelievable, the characters are just plain stupid, and the heroine's attempts to be cute fall flat. It was just a waste of time.
Agi
Apr 02, 2011 Agi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Ha, ha. Totally grotesque, so crazy and impossible ideas... I have never known what should I expect and turned the pages with a lot of interest. Have laughed. Sometimes found the book a little too grotesque but nevertheless, it was worth reading:)
Quite possibly the cutest, most fun book I have ever read. With very strong references to Audrey Hepburn, her fashion, and her movies of the 1950s, the book follows that predictable path, but in a wonderfully entertaining way. SO much fun!
Chanpreet
I love Audrey Hepburn and her movies so this book was treat for me. I was a little baffled by how and when Holly and Richard fell in love, but the senior antics had me smiling and in fits. I really enjoyed reading this book!
Hazel
A very fun read. Exactly what I am looking for when I read chick lit books: a fashion museum, Audrey Hepburn costumes and references to her films, a cruise, travel to interesting locales, a debonair love interest. Very fun!
Linda
I had just read a couple of "heavy" books and needed a good laugh. This did it for me - funny believeable characters with a witty story. Clever use of songs/titles for each chapter keeping in the "style" of the story.
Erin
Great concept, terrible execution. This book had no atmosphere and was very poorly written. The author completely missed also one of the most charming things about '50's movies--things were left to the imagination!
  • Fifteen Minutes of Shame
  • Watching Willow Watts
  • Behind The Red Doors (Santori Stories #1)
  • Beautiful People
  • Recipe for a Happy Life
  • Catch a Rising Star (Drama Queen #1)
  • Slim to None
  • Tan Lines
  • Bollywood Confidential
  • Luscious (Sexy Chefs, #2)
  • The Single Wife
  • The Spinster Sisters
  • The Name of the Game
  • Happiness Sold Separately
  • Friday Mornings at Nine
  • The Smart One
  • The Botox Diaries
  • Writing Jane Austen
The Ivy Chronicles Wife in the Fast Lane The Sister Diaries Testing for Kindergarten: Simple Strategies to Help Your Child Ace the Tests for: Public School Placement, Private School Admissions, Gifted Program Qualification Tales from the Hills and Hollers of Eastern Kentucky