Different Minds: Gifted Children with Ad/Hd, Asperger Syndrome, and Other Learning Deficits

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Recognising the different levels and kinds of giftedness, this book provides an insight into the challenges and benefits specific to gifted children with attention difficulties.
Published January 1st 2004 by Jessica Kingsley Publishers (first published November 15th 2003)

Angela
Truly a GREAT resource for teachers, counselor, parents. Please don’t let the “gifted” titled fool you since this is a book for everyone with these disorders – specifically Asperger’s and AD/HD. I thought I knew a lot about these issues, but this book completely opened up my mind. One of best aspects of this book is that the author not only focuses on areas of weaknesses (while offering SPECIFIC strategies to overcome them), but she also focuses on the many strengths that people with these probl...more
Tiger
This is such a great book, I bought five copies after my first two copies never returned from loans. I now have two of those five left. This book is research based, yet easy to read and interpret. It gives invaluable information about how AD/HD and other learning differences impact learning as well as how multiple learning differences impact recommended accommodations. For example, accommodations for a student with AD/HD are not necessarily appropriate for a student who is both gifted and AD/HD....more
Michelle
What a rich, insightful book. It is information dense, which is probably either a pro or a con depending on your style, but it worked well for me. The author assumes that you want information and that you can handle the content--a much appreciated change of tune from so many books that seem to be a little too basic.

I read this with the intention of gaining insight on my children, and was surprised to also found my childhood self in this book. It unlocked my understanding of areas of my life that...more
Cara
I purchased three copies of this book. One was for myself, one was for my mom and one was for the Gifted Center at the local university. This work offers valuable insights into the little understood and often confusing twice-exceptional world. Lovecky untangles the intertwined and nebulous strands of giftedness and Adhd, AS etc. without totally losing the unique and individual manifestations that occur.
Laurie
Extremely accessible reading for parents and educators – includes separate chapters on the developmental aspects of each learning difference, and includes chapters on what gifted children are like, what constitutes the diagnosis of AD/HD, the diagnosis of AS, and how to assess children.
Jill
Aug 03, 2011 Jill added it
This is the best book you can possibly read that explains gifted kids with either ADD or Asperger's. The giftedness really changes how these kids appear in typical Asperger or ADD profiles, so if you have a "twice exceptional" child like I do, this is the ONLY book that makes sense.
Carla
A pretty fascinating read - however, it's pretty narrow interest. If you have a kid who is "twice exceptional" (in this case, both gifted and AD/HD or Aspergers), you need to check this book out. So useful for school and helping parents have the tools we need.
Kristi
Exceptionally helpful book. I've highlighted my copy (which I found for FREE at our public library) and intend to loan it along with some others to my son's teachers!
Lara White
I finally found a book that explains my Zach perfectly. It has been very helpful in understanding him better.
Danielle
This was a bit academic but the segment on the differences between ADHD and Aspergers was very interesting.
Grant Sanders
An excellent resource on the gifted and twice exceptional.
Camille
It was interesting.
Prakash
good
Becky Wilkes
Becky Wilkes is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Margot
Margot added it
Jul 10, 2014
Barbara
Barbara is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Hanae
Hanae marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Laura Mastro
Laura Mastro marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Erica Hermann
Erica Hermann marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014