Footfree & Fancyloose (Bass Ackwards and Belly Up, #2)

Footfree & Fancyloose (Bass Ackwards and Belly Up #2)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  566 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Best friends Harper Waddle, Sophie Bushell, and Kate Foster committed the ultimate suburban sin: bailing on college to pursue their dreams. Middlebury-bound Becca Winsberg was convinced her friends had gone insane until they reminded her she just might have a dream of her own.

Now the year is half-way through and their dreams seem within reach. Well, almost. Harper has man...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Little Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Footfree & Fancyloose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Footfree & Fancyloose

Before I Fall by Lauren OliverAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsDeadly Little Secret by Laurie Faria StolarzBetween Here and Forever by Elizabeth ScottThe Goddess Test by Aimee Carter
Where are thou grass?!?!
73rd out of 108 books — 101 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsLock and Key by Sarah DessenGraceling by Kristin CashoreCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClarePaper Towns by John Green
YA Novels of 2008
196th out of 199 books — 118 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

This sequel to BASS ACKWARDS AND BELLY UP takes the second half of the year of dreams with these four best friends.

Becca is still at Middlebury living the life of a ski bum and in love. She's found her guy and she's sharing every moment with him. But her family life comes crashing down again and she just might say something she'll regret.

Sophie needs to find an apartment pronto as she's being kicked out of her great digs - and an acting job wouldn'...more
Carly
Feb 01, 2011 Carly added it
Does it bug anyone else that there are 3 people on the cover and 4 friends?!?!?!?!
Ari
This cover is a joke. It's about four best friends. Sure one of them is in Africa so technically she doesn't need to be on the cover, even though they are all four separated....but guess who isn't on the cover? The biracial character, Sophie. LAME does not even begin to describe how I feel about this cover. I asked my mom and sister to "pick out the African American girl on the cover" and they both said that there were no Black people on the cover. I even flipped to the back cover to see if she...more
Stephanie A.
I was rather hoping we'd be over the hookups phase, but instead they seem to have revved it up (less casual, but more frequent). That is not what I want from my fiction, especially since the 2 romances I most wanted to see pay off never went anywhere*. The girls also seemed to grow more apart from each other, which I felt the first book was so good about showing us was NOT happening.

This would have been OK, except they also seem to become more self-centered so it's not like we're watching them...more
Steph Su
FOOTFREE AND FANCYLOOSE picks up right where BASS ACKWARDS AND BELLY UP ends, at the end of the Christmas-New Year holiday season. Harper Waddle—college reject, writer-barista, and Dream Train starter—has burned the first fifty pages of her first novel as per her English teacher/dream man Mr. Finelli’s constructive criticism. This time she is starting over and writing from the heart. Harper is determined to let nothing stop her, but mixed feelings about her coworker, Judd, Mr. Finelli, and a fam...more
Traci
It has nothing to do with the story, but there's something that REALLY bothers me about this book, and about Bass Ackwards and Belly Up before it: Why are there only 3 girls on the cover? There are 4 main characters in these books, none more important than the others. And it's obvious who is missing. Sophie is half black, and the girls on these covers are about as white as I am. I don't get it, and it drives me crazy.
Ava Morell
When I first started reading this book, Harper (one of the main characters) was writing a novel. When she finished, she gave it to her English teacher to read through and edit it. He explained to her that her writing didn't sound like her, and she needed to make the novel more relatable to readers. She didn't like his answer at all, so she decided to give up on the novel. A couple days later she found out that she didn't get accepted to NYU. After everything she'd gone through that week, Harper...more
Nancy
Enjoyable, but a lot of bad language and sex... especially for a young adult book.
I was eager to see this young adult novel at the ALA conference this month in Philadelphia. I snatched up the advanced reading copy. The original is due to be published April 1. The first book in this series, Bass Ackwards and Belly Up, I described as a Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants for older teens. Other than being slightly confused by which character was what, I enjoyed this romantic, frilly chick lit novel.[return][return]Four best friends took the plunge in the last novel and decided to...more
Carmaletta Hilton
This one was slow to start for me. When I read Bass Ackwards and Belly Up, I was taken from page one and could barely put the book down. With this one, I put it down for three months before picking it back up again.

I liked all four girls in the first book, which is why I was so excited to read this new one. Reading this one, however, I found myself only really caring about Sophie. Becca's neurosis, Kate's drama with Darby (and constant reminders that we have it so good and don't appreciate it so...more
Jamie Henry
This book was a wonderful sequel to it's predecessor,Bass Ackwards and Belly Up that I found myself straight back into the story. I was right there, comparing myself to all of the characters, hoping for them to realize more about themselves, their love lives and most importantly, their dreams.

I also found myself hoping and praying that whoever got together got together, squeeing when something good happened, crying when something bad happened.

A most definite read. As in, READ IT THIS INSTANT.
Valerie
As a fan of the first book in this series (Bass Ackwards and Belly Up), I was thrilled to learn there would be a sequel to it. Now that I've read it, I'm sad that it's (probably) over.

I felt like I was friends with Becca, Harper, Kate, and Sophie. Even though it's just a book, I sometimes wished I could jump in and give advice, hug, or sometimes even slap someone. I wanted the best for them, always, and was so sad when something went wrong for them.

As someone in a previous review said, it's a sh...more
Maggie
Footfree and Fancyloose was a great sequel to its predecessor. Following the stories of 4 girls, 3 of whom commit the 'ultimate sin' by deferring college to go after their dream. F&F was a beautifully written and so realistic. The stories i liked the most were of kate and harper. I really despised becca and all her whining. All in all it was a great book. Even though so many people compare it to sisterhood series, this is just as good if not better :)

It's something we all dream about but don...more
Kate
Not a bad book, I can't say it's the best thing I've ever read but it's not the worst. I didn't like how everything just always seemed to work out for the characters, I get that it's a teen book and that everything needs to be wrapped up nicely but I found that it just got more and more unreal towards the end. I did like that one of the characters did something in Africa that was much more realistic than the other characters lives. It's an okay book but I probably won't pick it up again.
Lillian
First I'd just like to say that Footfree & Fancyloose was a good read! SECOND: Becca was just REALLY ANNOYING. I know she's SUPPOSED to be because of the whole Stuart thing, but... Agh. I think I just have to lower a star BECAUSE of her. I don't like dealing with friends like that IN REAL LIFE nor do I want to READ about it! But. I guess that's the point of her storyline. ANYYYYYYYYYWAY. I think I liked the first book more, but this book was still tres awesome!
Zara
Nov 14, 2008 Zara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya, own
Fairly good. I really didn't like Footfree and Fancyloose as well as the first in the series, but it was enjoyable--in a very cliched sort of way. I think Kate's story seemed the 'realest' to me, but I'm not sure why...perhaps because it wasn't as stereotypical as the rest. Anyway, I'd recommend it for some light reading, if you like that sort of thing. And I'd also like to point out that it's by Elizabeth Craft AND Sarah Fain. Just so everyone knows.
Nicole
My mom and I went to the bookstore together when I got this. She was actually the one who picked it right out of the shelf, read the back, and said I should get it. That was two to three years ago. It's been sitting in my bookshelf since. When I read it, I kept thinking "I can't believe I'm only reading this now!" Then again, maybe I was suppose to from the first place. Being in my junior year of high school and all... ;)
Emma
I love this book! It is a beautiful story of friendship and taking the risk to follow your dreams. I connected most with the character Kate, because I am very driven academically, but also because I want to volunteer in another country. I enjoyed the different perspectives and the variation in the stories. It is a book any teenage girl can connect to. It gives you motivation to follow your dreams and take chances.
Amber
Sad the story is over! I absolutely loved it!

A friendship among four friends that stays strong no matter the circumstance. Some of the stories/hurdles the girls jumped through felt similar to situations I experienced in my own life with friends. Each girl was so unique in her own way that it helped the circle stay strong. I wish that I had that strong of a bond always with my own friends.

Excellent book!
Gina
I borrowed this from the library and didn't realize it was a sequel until I glanced at the back cover. Having said that, you don't have to read the first back to make sense of this second one. It reminded me greatly of the Traveling Pants series. I appreciated something about each of the four main characters and considering the large amount of YA crap out there, this is worth the read.
Tahsin
wow. that was quite the exhilarating read. I loved it. all of it. I want a sequel to this. I want to know everything that goes on in there lives because it's just so inspiring and motivational and interesting and so radically different from mine. I really really really do want to know more. so authors, please take mercy on this poor soul and write a sequel
Emily Schirmer
"Footfree and Fancyloose" was a beautiful continuation of "Bass Ackwards and Belly Up." It reminded us that a dream is just as much—if not more—about the journey as it is about the destination.

Read this and become inspired, uplifted, and sentimental in the very best way.

Highly recommend.
Kassandria
I loved this book! It's so heartfelt and funny, and is like a more mature and dramatic version of the Sisterhood. I loved the characters and how they all went and actually tried to pursue their dreams. I hope there's a third book, because I'd like to see a happy ending to two more of the couples.
Tenara
It was annoying, but it had to be read. You have to have your teen novel breaks, don't you?

What I found most irksome is the fact that in nearly every book that I have read that has teen novel qualities, the character I like does not end up with the supposed guy.

WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU.
Cam
Loved this book. Surpassed my expectations because it was definitely even better than the first book, which is quite a feat since it can't get any better than that. I was actually equally interested in all four girls' storylines when usually I'd favor one over the other.
Ifahh
Wonderful read :) Kept me up all night trying to finish it... needless to say, it's impossible to put down. I hate Sophie's & Becca's character, though, since I couldn't really relate. But it was a good story, overall.
Amber Irvine
This is a sequel and the author did a good job of refreshing us to where we left the characters without being fatiguing about it. It is a quick summer read. Mindless pleasure but those are the books I love.
Caroline Koppelaar
Een apart boek over een stel meiden die allemaal hun dromen achterna gaan, een suggestie van een van de meiden met een heel andere reden dan dat de rest denkt dat het is.
Journeywoman
This was a clever sequel to Bass Ackwards and Belly Up. I liked the first one better, but this was clever, kept me interested and I liked the end to the Year of Dreams.
  • Sophomore Switch
  • Klepto
  • The Lighter Side of Life and Death
  • Confessions of a Triple Shot Betty (Triple Shot Bettys, #1)
  • Skinny-Dipping (The Au Pairs, #2)
  • Prom Anonymous
  • The Queen Geek Social Club
  • Model: A Memoir
  • The Market
  • Guyaholic (V Valentine, #2)
  • Psych Major Syndrome
  • The Dashwood Sisters' Secrets of Love
  • The Fortunes of Indigo Skye
  • A Brief Chapter in My Impossible Life
  • Vintage Veronica
  • Never Sit Down in a Hoopskirt and Other Things I Learned in Southern Belle Hell
  • Confessions of a Serial Kisser
  • Fat Hoochie Prom Queen
Elizabeth Craft and Sarah Fain wrote their first piece together when they were fifteen - a feature on Kansas City delis for their high school newspaper.

They now live in Los Angeles, where Sarah and Liz are currently Writer-Producers on the Emmy-award winning show "The Shield" and James Patterson's upcoming "Women's Murder Detective Club" TV series debuting this fall on ABC.
More about Elizabeth Craft...
Bass Ackwards and Belly Up (Bass Ackwards and Belly Up, #1) What We Did Last Summer (Love Stories For Young Adults, #33) Prom Season: Three Novels Jake & Christy (Love Stories For Young Adults, #44) Max and Jane (Love Stories For Young Adults, #42)