Start by marking “Hey, Cowgirl, Need a Ride?” as Want to Read:
Hey, Cowgirl, Need a Ride?

Hey, Cowgirl, Need a Ride?

From America’s bestselling cowboy poet and NPR commentator Baxter Black comes the sequel to Hey, Cowboy, Wanna Get Lucky?

Two years after he won the average at the Las Vegas National Finals Rodeo by riding Kamikaze, the world’s most unridable bull, Lick is down on his luck, working on a ranch in the remote Nevada desert with Al Bean, an ornery old cowboy. When Teddie Arizo
Published October 24th 2006 by Broadway Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Hey, Cowgirl, Need a Ride?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hey, Cowgirl, Need a Ride?

Reed Robinson
Mar 17, 2010 Reed Robinson rated it really liked it
I picked this book out from the library because it was on display. What can I say? The girl has a nice butt. One of the few times I judged a book by it's cover.
But seriously now, I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I really like Baxter Black's humor and story telling ability. Now that I've thought about this I want to check out some of his other works, yes even his poetry.

From his website I like this description:

Baxter Black, described by the New York Times as '…probably the nation's most successfu
Jay
Jun 17, 2012 Jay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Back in the day, I used to buy the books based on popular movies that I liked. The books read exactly like the movie -- I'm thinking of Star Wars, Life of Brian, and others. Baxter Black's book reads like a movie, too, but it reads like a Pauly Shore movie...Lots of odd action is described, sometimes for the sake of a single punchline. I wish I had kept statistics while I listened, but I sense that about 1/3 of the punchlines he included were laughable, but the rest were a stretch or sounded fam ...more
Charles
Nov 22, 2012 Charles rated it liked it
A disappointment. The first Hey Cowboy I was generous with. It was also better. I'd almost venture to say I know more tall tail stories than Baxter gets into both books. Try rattle snakes at the rodeo dance. Try a story that visits all the old roadside attractions across the desert hi ways. Try a game of donkey basketball. Try a chilli cookoff in a ghost town. I can't believe that after all the wit I've heard come out of Baxter's mouth this is the best he could do. I think three stars is still g ...more
David Ward
Feb 03, 2010 David Ward rated it it was ok
Shelves: westerns, fiction
Hey Cowgirl, Need a Ride? by Baxter Black (Crown Publishers 2005) (Fiction - Western). A down on his luck bull riding cowboy is working on a ranch in the west when a damsel in distress comes along with a $500,000 secret and a husband who is looking for her. Baxter Black is a fabulous cowboy poet, but not so much a contemporary Western novelist. I gave up on this one. DNF. My rating: 3/10, finished 2006.
Dante
May 23, 2009 Dante rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could not for the life of me figure out if the author, photographed in full cowboy garb plus mustache, is the real thing or not. Research into his website and wikipedia gave nothing away. I laughed when the old man roped a helicopter and was sad when Lick didn't ride the tiger.
Sherry (sethurner)
Sep 20, 2009 Sherry (sethurner) rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, humor, audio
Baxter Black's story of the sort-of married girl who runs off with $5 million in order to stop a hunt of endangered animals is silly, silly silly. If you love outrageous plots and overblown similies, this is for you.
Nick
Dec 20, 2012 Nick rated it liked it
Fun! Funny! He uses too many exclamation marks! But other than that--characters, decent. Plot, silly. Setting: picturesque. Writing style: refreshingly different. Dialogue: good. Humor: Quite good. I will read more from Baxter Black!
Amy
Sep 01, 2014 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so bad, I'm not even sure I finished it.
Mickey Gregory
Nov 21, 2013 Mickey Gregory rated it really liked it
What a wild ride. Baxter Black can really string adjectives in a wild colorful way that invokes clear images of the authors intent. Fun read.
Mike
Nov 26, 2008 Mike rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
Exactly what one would expect from a Baxter Black work of fiction.
Darlis
Jul 22, 2011 Darlis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book to listen to. The similies and metaphores are hilarious! Sometimes, we just cracked up laughing. Nice little "rescue the damsel in distress" story. Really enjoyable read.
Jude Johnson
Sep 07, 2009 Jude Johnson marked it as to-read
Met Baxter Black today--what a gentleman! Can't wait to get started on this one
Nancy
May 28, 2012 Nancy rated it it was ok
A bit twangy and simplified in language and plot, but a good read to pass through rapidly.
Syed
Syed rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2009
Ari J
Ari J rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
May 12, 2010
Sean Little
Sean Little rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2007
Clover
Clover rated it really liked it
May 18, 2014
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2012
Michelle Bastian
Michelle Bastian rated it it was ok
Aug 12, 2013
Lee
Lee rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2009
Nicole McRobert
Nicole McRobert rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Pete
Pete rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2010
Carla
Carla rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2014
Anita Barnwell
Anita Barnwell rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2017
Dusty
Dusty rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Casey McNeill
Casey McNeill rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2008
Joe McKnight
Joe McKnight rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2017