Start by marking “Hey, Cowgirl, Need a Ride?” as Want to Read:
Hey, Cowgirl, Need a Ride?

Hey, Cowgirl, Need a Ride?

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  12 reviews
From America’s bestselling cowboy poet and NPR commentator Baxter Black comes the sequel to Hey, Cowboy, Wanna Get Lucky?

Two years after he won the average at the Las Vegas National Finals Rodeo by riding Kamikaze, the world’s most unridable bull, Lick is down on his luck, working on a ranch in the remote Nevada desert with Al Bean, an ornery old cowboy. When Teddie Arizo
Published October 24th 2006 by Broadway Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Hey, Cowgirl, Need a Ride?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hey, Cowgirl, Need a Ride?

Reed Robinson
I picked this book out from the library because it was on display. What can I say? The girl has a nice butt. One of the few times I judged a book by it's cover.
But seriously now, I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I really like Baxter Black's humor and story telling ability. Now that I've thought about this I want to check out some of his other works, yes even his poetry.

From his website I like this description:

Baxter Black, described by the New York Times as '…probably the nation's most successfu
Jay
Back in the day, I used to buy the books based on popular movies that I liked. The books read exactly like the movie -- I'm thinking of Star Wars, Life of Brian, and others. Baxter Black's book reads like a movie, too, but it reads like a Pauly Shore movie...Lots of odd action is described, sometimes for the sake of a single punchline. I wish I had kept statistics while I listened, but I sense that about 1/3 of the punchlines he included were laughable, but the rest were a stretch or sounded fam ...more
Charles
A disappointment. The first Hey Cowboy I was generous with. It was also better. I'd almost venture to say I know more tall tail stories than Baxter gets into both books. Try rattle snakes at the rodeo dance. Try a story that visits all the old roadside attractions across the desert hi ways. Try a game of donkey basketball. Try a chilli cookoff in a ghost town. I can't believe that after all the wit I've heard come out of Baxter's mouth this is the best he could do. I think three stars is still g ...more
David Ward
Hey Cowgirl, Need a Ride? by Baxter Black (Crown Publishers 2005) (Fiction - Western). A down on his luck bull riding cowboy is working on a ranch in the west when a damsel in distress comes along with a $500,000 secret and a husband who is looking for her. Baxter Black is a fabulous cowboy poet, but not so much a contemporary Western novelist. I gave up on this one. DNF. My rating: 3/10, finished 2006.
Dante
I could not for the life of me figure out if the author, photographed in full cowboy garb plus mustache, is the real thing or not. Research into his website and wikipedia gave nothing away. I laughed when the old man roped a helicopter and was sad when Lick didn't ride the tiger.
Nick
Fun! Funny! He uses too many exclamation marks! But other than that--characters, decent. Plot, silly. Setting: picturesque. Writing style: refreshingly different. Dialogue: good. Humor: Quite good. I will read more from Baxter Black!
Sherry (sethurner)
Baxter Black's story of the sort-of married girl who runs off with $5 million in order to stop a hunt of endangered animals is silly, silly silly. If you love outrageous plots and overblown similies, this is for you.
Darlis
This was a fun book to listen to. The similies and metaphores are hilarious! Sometimes, we just cracked up laughing. Nice little "rescue the damsel in distress" story. Really enjoyable read.
Mickey Gregory
What a wild ride. Baxter Black can really string adjectives in a wild colorful way that invokes clear images of the authors intent. Fun read.
Nancy
A bit twangy and simplified in language and plot, but a good read to pass through rapidly.
Jude Johnson
Sep 07, 2009 Jude Johnson marked it as to-read
Met Baxter Black today--what a gentleman! Can't wait to get started on this one
Mike
Nov 28, 2008 Mike rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
Exactly what one would expect from a Baxter Black work of fiction.
Jen Neumeyer
Jen Neumeyer marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Elyse
Elyse marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Hey Cowboy, Wanna Get Lucky? Cactus Tracks and Cowboy Philosophy Horseshoes, Cowsocks & Duckfeet: More Commentary by NPR's Cowboy Poet & Former Large Animal Veterinarian Coyote Cowboy Poetry Croutons on a Cow Pie #2 (Volume II)