Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa

Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa (Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  456 ratings  ·  76 reviews
A Theodor Seuss Geisel Award Honor Book Hold on to your hats! Two new pals have arrived on the scene: Cowgirl Kate and her stubborn, but devoted cowhorse, Cocoa. Together they count the herd, ride the range, and, of course, argue till the cows come home--as only best friends can do.

With its spirited text and bright, humorous illustrations by Caldecott Honor recipient Bets...more
Published March 1st 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
The Must-Have Series for Children Ages 6 to 12
132nd out of 429 books — 796 voters
Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Mystic Princesses and the Whirlpool by P.J. LaRueI Can Cook " Cake Baking" by Marika GermanisFancy Nancy by Jane O'ConnorOlivia by Ian Falconer
Best little girl books
63rd out of 330 books — 239 voters

More lists with this book...

midnightfaerie
Got this one off the Geisel award list, and my 5 yr old son loved it. Used it for his read out loud book, which was perfect. Around a level 2 or 3, it took about 20 mins for him to read and had just enough new vocabulary words to make it challenging. Also, it was a fun and interesting story he could get into. He liked it so much, he asked for more by this author. Great reading book!
Malbadeen
abbreviated review: My daughter loved this book, therefore so do I!

extended review: Like many parents, I am frequently perplexed by the fact that two children with such distinctly different personalties could have come from the same womb.

From day one my son showed his quiet temperament, sat blissfully with stuffed bunny in hand as I read "goodnight moon" everyday before his nap, soaked up books and words and stories with enthusiasm, sighs with delight when we re-read a picture book that was a fa...more
Valerie
Sep 25, 2008 Valerie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Valerie by: Aaron
This is one of Aaron's favorite books. A great gift for children under 7. There is also a very amusing sequel.
Jade
Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa is about Kate and her horse, Cocoa. Through the four short chapters readers find out how Kate chose Cocoa, surprises that Kate gives Cocoa, how Cocoa helps count cows, and the night Kate spent in the barn with Cocoa. Even though Cocoa is stubborn at times, Kate and Cocoa are wonderful friends who depend on one another.

This a great beginning reader book to use as a transition from short chapter books to longer ones for young children. The chapters will keep kids interested...more
Michelle
A Theodor Seuss Geisel Honor winner for 2006,this early chapter book details the sweet story of friendship between a little girl named Kate and her headstrong horse, Cocoa, who from the moment they first met were destined to be the best of friends. Lewin’s warm watercolor illustrations and childlike lines evoke classic children’s readers like Syd Hoff’s Danny and the Dinosaur. Colors are bright and warm and reflect those typically found in a southwestern setting. Lewin’s illustrations work well...more
Brenda Barrino
Book Title: Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa: Partners by E. Silverman.
Focus: Writing Partners
Teach: After reading the book, facilitate a discussion about how Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa helped one another. Lead students to the understanding that partnerships are beneficial - we need partnerships.
Throughout the week, continue reading from the book Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa: Partners.
Ask students how having a writing partner can be helpful to them. Discuss good ways of helping and improper ways of helping. Share...more
Nicole
A Theodor Seuss Geisel Honor book, Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa introduces emerging readers to Kate, a young cowgirl, and her horse Cocoa. The first in a series of beginning reader books, Kate picks out Cocoa as her horse, gives him a surprise gift, counts cows, and spends an evening in the barn with him that develops the reciprocal caring relationship between the two characters. Lewin’s ample, bright watercolors focus on the actions of the story and broad depictions of the interactions and emotions b...more
Rose Goodwin
This is a cute book about a girl and her horse. They argue, but they always make up and are best friends. It also portrays the horse as being hungry. It is a transitional chapter book with lots of pictures still. Younger children would benefit from reading it.
Carriek
Amanda Rutledge
Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa is a very short and easy to read picture book. It is about the tale of a little girl (Kate) and her "cowhorse" (Cocoa). Throughout the story the reader picks up on many of Cocoa's habits- like eating all the time and worrying too much. It is a really cute story, but rather uneventful. I would suggest it for beginning readers. Especially since the book is split up into three chapters, it would give the young reader a sense of accomplishment. The illustrations are really cut...more
Sheri
My 5 yr old daughter thought this was a fun one, so I did too.
HeavyReader
I picked up this book from a free box so I could give it away on BookMooch.

It was ok. Kind of cute. I don't know. It didn't really move me. I would never rush out and buy it for any kid I know.
Mrs. Knott
Geisel Honor Award 2006
Reagan
it was amazing.
Tim Vandenberg
A surprisingly delightful early "chapter book" reader, and a worthy choice as a CCSS Text Exemplar for grades 2-3, (though more so for grade 2).

Perhaps, maybe, possibly? Could this be Betsy Lewin's greatest water color work? I enjoyed her pictures here even more than I did in her entire "Click, Clack, Moo" enterprise! Fantastically joyful art! She really captures the whole "Kate The Cowgirl" flare while also instilling great personality into Cocoa the Cowhorse! Well done!

Recommended!
Perfect for your horse and cowboy crazy early readers, Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa follows the everyday adventures of Cowgirl Kate and her always hungry horse Cocoa. The longer chapters and story within a story format of the first chapter mark this as being best for readers who are almost ready to move into chapter books, but there's still plenty of repetition and illustration support. The charming and sunny illustrations are done in watercolor by Betsy Lewin.
Debbie Lee
These stories are very simple, but I know children enjoy reading them. They are sweet stories about helping a partner and taking care of someone. There are several activities that come to mind to do with youngsters as they read these stories, which I’ll discuss in the next column. The stories are well written on a lower level, enabling young children to comprehend them and get to the meaning of the stories. Each one has a meaning, or moral, to it.
Karol
The first book in a most delightful series for beginning readers.
Cowgirl Kate and Cowhorse Cocoa develope a caring true bond.
I liked that the book is written with a table of contents and in four brief chapters. In this book Kate tells Cocoa a story, gives him a surprise, counts cows and goes to sleep in the barn with him.
I felt these characters for who they are, that's amazing. The humor is real and pleasant.
Kristine
This Theodor Seuss Geisel Honor book gives four tales of a girl and her horse. The whimsical illustrations are deserving of the award and add to the depth of the relationship between girl and horse. Younger readers may have difficulty with some of the words (cocoa especially). The separate chapters should encourage a feeling of accomplishment. Appropriate for both boys and girls.
Kristine Cook
Life Between Coffee Spoons
Morgan Davis
This is a very cute book about a cowgirl named Kate and a stubborn horse named Cocoa. It is a easy level chapter book that describes events that the two go through. It shows what friendship is about and how an animal and human interact with each other. It tells of the way the two met, a surprise hat for Cocoa, counting cows, and having a sleep over in the barn.
Jen
In this first book in the series, we're introduced to Cowgirl Kate and her horse Cocoa. We find out through the short little chapters how Kate picked Cocoa, how he helps her count cows and even how Kate spends a night in the barn with her horse. The chapters are short enough to keep the smallest of readers interested. My boys LOVE Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa!
Karla
A Theodor Seuss Geisel Honor book from 2005, this beginning reader is the story of Cowgirl Kate and her horse Cocoa. Kate is a cowgirl "from the boots up" who loves her horse even when he is a lot of work - behaving like a child at times with Kate as the responsible parent... The first in a series of funny stories kids will enjoy reading for themselves.
Mrs.
I loved this book. Cute short chapters that I think the kids would find interesting as Kate and Cocoa exchange conversations. I think the kids could relate to Cocoa’s not wanting to go to bed as well as the theme behind the other chapters. Love the concept of voice in the conversations. It was an enjoyable read even at my age.
Candice Call
This would be a good book to use for second or third graders as well as emerging readers. The book is set up as a transitional chapter book but looks very similar to other chapter books that readers would be reading. The book is about a girl and her horse and would appeal to many young students, especilly girls, interested in horses.
S.K.
Loved the illustrations! The little red cowgirl boots were adorable and easily spotted on most pages. For an early-read chapter book the sentence length was adequate and the characters were charming. Each chapter was pretty light in the story department, though. Perhaps a little more drama to keep things interesting?
Leslie
My 5 year old boy loved this book. It really isn't a chapter book, but rather a book divided into a few simple scenes. I really enjoy the stubborn Cocoa and his talking ways. Really cute and if a 5 year old boy who doesn't like anything Gorky can love the book, the author is really doing something right!
Hope Mullinax
This book introduces readers to Kate, a young cowgirl, and her horse Cocoa. As she cares for her horse, an unspeakable friendship forms. Since this book is set up like a transitional chapter book, it may be beneficial to those striving readers trying to work their way to chapter books.
  • Chicken Said "Cluck!" (My First I Can Read Books)
  • Henry and Mudge: The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1)
  • Hi! Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #1)
  • Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends
  • Mercy Watson Fights Crime (Mercy Watson #3)
  • The Stories Julian Tells
  • My Name Is Maria Isabel
  • Move Over, Rover!
  • Alone in His Teacher's House
  • The Runaways (Zelda and Ivy #4)
  • Daisy Dawson Is on Her Way!
  • Princess Posey and the First Grade Parade (Princess Posey, #1)
  • Penny and Her Marble
  • Make Way for Dyamonde Daniel
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside?
  • The One-Eyed Giant (Tales from the Odyssey, #1)
  • Sticks and Stones
Big Pumpkin Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa: Partners School Days (Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa #3) Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa: Spring Babies Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa: Rain or Shine