Start by marking “Vagabond” as Want to Read:
Vagabond

Vagabond

It was a dirty job in a dirty war.

Danny Curnow, known in the army family by his call sign, Vagabond, ran agents, informers. Played God with their lives and their deaths, and was the best at his job - and he quit when the stress overwhelmed him.

Now he lives in quiet isolation and works as a guide to tourists visiting the monuments and cemeteries of an earlier, simpler, conf
Published July 17th 2014 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about Vagabond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vagabond

Cphe
I've read all of Gerald Seymour's "Irish" thrillers to date. This book follows on approximately 20 years after the very excellent "The Journeyman Tailor" and highlighted just how little the conflict had changed in Ireland.

This isn't an action packed book it is more of a slow burn, building characters and discovering what makes them tick.

I would have rated this book far higher but I read The Journeyman Tailor not long ago and I can't quite understand how Siobham Nugent, Mossie's wife from the pre
Tony Nielsen
Oct 07, 2014 Tony Nielsen rated it really liked it
This is the first Gerald Seymour thriller that I've read in quite a while, and, on the basis of the Vagabond, more's the pity. This is an intense and quality story with a very much blurred line between the good guys and the other sort. The bad team are a former Russian Mafioso and an Irish so called freedom fighter out to do business together through an arms for cash deal. On the other side of the ledger is MI5, and the operatives they've recalled to the cause. It all comes to a head in Prague, ...more
Michael Martz
Nov 19, 2016 Michael Martz rated it really liked it
It's the '90s, and peace has come to Northern Ireland. Or has it? Factions are still in operation that want to derail the peace process, but they need better weaponry to attract new fighters to their cause. Their leadership identifies a middleman from outside their ranks to broker a deal with a Russian contact. The problem is the middleman happens to be an informer for the Brits, the leader of whom also has a personal reason for going after the Russian. He engages a long-retired agent-runner, ...more
Mr A J Landeg
Oct 06, 2016 Mr A J Landeg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Good

Really enjoyed this book it reminded men why I enjoy Gerald Seymour's work. It kept me on my toes from beginning to end.
Rob
May 04, 2015 Rob rated it really liked it
This is a not so typical Seymour novel. It has deeper character development and a little less plot than most. The style is unchanged - a series of shortish, sometimes apparently unrelated threads that fairly quickly get drawn together into another dark tale of terrorism and anti-terrorism. The plot is fairly simple. A splinter Northern Ireland terrorist group plans to buy heavy weapons through a broker who happens to have been 'turned' by MI6. The vendor is a Russian, an ex army officer. MI6's ...more
Bev Taylor
Sep 22, 2015 Bev Taylor rated it liked it
who can u trust, when betrayal is a way of life?

danny, call sign vagabond, was a handler in northern ireland 15 years ago. then the stress overwhelmed him, like many, and he walked away

now working in normandy as a tour guide for the world war II beaches he is called back by his old boss. violence is on the rise again with arms sales and he is needed to run a special operation to stop it

the story mixes from different characters and different times

h/e about a third of the book tells of violenc
Stuart
Sep 06, 2016 Stuart rated it it was ok
This book was a real struggle. It seemed to jump all over the place. Not always clear which character we were on.
Stuart Chambers
Aug 20, 2016 Stuart Chambers rated it it was ok
I'm sad to say I'm struggling a little with this one and don't think that this is up to Gerald Seymour's usual standard, I genuinely love this authors work but I'm half way through and really not engaged and the book is nothing like as satisfying as others I have read by this author!

Every day, I think to myself, should I just give up on this and throw the book away ... but then I sit down and a couple more pages are turned and the book survives to be opened another day :)

Sadly I gave up, this be
Martin Haynes
Jan 01, 2016 Martin Haynes rated it liked it
I don't think that this was up to Gerald Seymour's usual standard, the style is similar, introducing characters and gradually filling in their part in the narrative and building to the eventual climax. For me, the book was a little too gradual, very slow to build and not so satisfying as others I have read by this author. However, if you are interested in the situation in Northern Ireland with regard to still active Republican paramilitaries, it worth a look!
Davecapp
Sep 17, 2014 Davecapp rated it really liked it
For fans of John Le Carre and British espionage this is a great read. Like Le Carre, the story is deep with detail and has marvelous character development and a continuously evolving complex storyline. Action fans need not enter here, but for those looking for a solid, well crafted yarn you need go no further.
Greta
Apr 24, 2016 Greta rated it really liked it
Not my usual type of fiction, a thriller, but after buying seats on Air Canada for Ireland in October, I found this book in our local library as "Irish". And it is about the IRA after a 25 year cease fire on the Island. Amazed and delighted am I to feel safe enough to visit Ireland in my lifetime. I hope the author has described the situation right as a mostly peace loving people and place.
Bob
Jun 02, 2016 Bob rated it it was amazing
Seymour is such a powerful writer - characters, multi-level plots, historical accuracy, emotion and sense of place and person. He has a unique ability to bring huge events close to mind and heart where they can be both considered and felt.
Paul
Feb 14, 2016 Paul rated it really liked it
Seymour is one of the most consistently interesting thriller writers in the English language. If you like LeCarre or McCarry, you'll like Seymour.
Christine Zibas
This is a complex, psychological book that readers really need to stick with to get the ultimate pay-off. I had some slow going, but glad that I read it.
Imbtsman
Oct 27, 2015 Imbtsman rated it it was ok
Way too slow for me I'm afraid and a very predictable ending. Disappointing as I normally enjoy this author
Mr craig gordon
Mr craig gordon rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2016
Ian Shilston
Ian Shilston rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Pete Ashford
Pete Ashford rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2015
Lauren Burns
Lauren Burns rated it it was ok
Apr 14, 2016
Feroze
Feroze rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2015
Justin Bailey
Justin Bailey rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Parimal
Parimal rated it it was ok
Apr 24, 2016
Matt Crossley
Matt Crossley rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2016
Philip Higgins
Philip Higgins rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Willam McBratney
Willam McBratney rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2016
MayZay
MayZay rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
ralph gough
ralph gough rated it it was ok
Nov 16, 2015
Sonja Ackerman
Sonja Ackerman rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2015
graham sorge
graham sorge rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2016
Johan Bergin
Johan Bergin rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2015
  • Darling, You Can't Do Both
  • Liberty Silk
  • The Summer Guest
  • Two Weddings and a Baby
  • The Abrupt Physics of Dying (Claymore Straker #1)
  • Can Anybody Help Me?
  • Written in the Blood
  • The Inheritance
  • Eggs in a Casket (Cackleberry Club, #5)
  • A Second Bite at the Apple
  • Night Strike (Extreme #2)
  • Some Girls Do
  • Misbehaving in Miami (Summer Flings #2)
  • A Place For Us Part 2
  • Things Your Mother Never Told You
Gerald Seymour (born 25 November 1941 in Guildford, Surrey) is a British writer.

The son of two literary figures, he was educated at Kelly College at Tavistock in Devon and took a BA Hons degree in Modern History at University College London. Initially a journalist, he joined ITN in 1963, covering such topics as the Great Train Robbery, Vietnam, Ireland, the Munich Olympics massacre, Germany's Red
More about Gerald Seymour...