Start by marking “Zen Lessons: The Art of Leadership” as Want to Read:
Zen Lessons: The Art of Leadership

Zen Lessons: The Art of Leadership

Drawing on private records, letters, and long-lost documents of the Song dynasty (tenth to thirteenth centuries), this book consists of short excerpts written in a language that is accessible to readers without any background in Eastern philosophy. It serves as a study of the personal qualities and conduct necessary for the mastery of any position of power and authority, w ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Published October 9th 2007 by Shambhala (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Zen Lessons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zen Lessons

Gregg Bell
Dec 07, 2014 Gregg Bell rated it really liked it
I get this magazine every week (slight pun) called The Week. They propositioned me after Newsweek (which I used to get) went digital. The Week is basically a collection of other news sources. They have no reporters. Just '...in the NY Times so and so wrote...' There is endless paraphrasing and unattributed quotes. You lose track of who is saying what and then get to wonder if anybody is saying anything at all.

That's kind of what Zen Lessons is like. Now I've read extensively in eastern religions
Graham
Review of "Zen Lessons: The Art of Leadership": It is said that there is nothing new under the sun. Certainly the issues facing leaders today are comparable to those that have faced leaders across cultures and throughout time. Human nature has not changed, and therefore the fundamentals of leadership -- the process of channeling human nature in a particular direction -- have not changed.

"Zen Lessons: The Art of Leadership" conveys this message in spades. In the format of a series of compact pass

KC Anton
Mar 10, 2009 KC Anton rated it really liked it
I skim this puppy for enlightenment on group leadership. I know and do many of the principles shared, yet it is a great reminder in small one minute reads.

Zen masters of China sharing their teachings to students, other masters, and personal notes in their diaries. You don't need to understand Buddhism, its styles and sects (Chan is quoted strongly), or Easter philosophy. These are short ideas to realize:
•what is leadership •what is community • what is spiritual authority •how do you judge these
Craig Werner
Less a book about/out of Zen than a compilation of aphorisms and teaching stories for leaders, especially the abbots of Zen monasteries. The sayings date to the Song dynasty (10th-13th centuries CE), which were perceived by those living then as a decline from Zen's classical period during the Tang dynasty. The Zen readings that speak to me are those located much closer to the paradoxes and silences of Huang Po; these pieces are a useful reminder that Zen existed in a real world of fallible human ...more
Angel
There are some nuggets of wisdom here, but there are also a lot of superfluous passages. This is a book on leadership, or so it claims given that many passages seem to have little to do with the topic (or maybe it was just not as evident to me when I read it). While I did jot down a couple of good ideas, overall, this is a book to just skim. There may be other better books related to Zen and leadership. The book is basically a collection of sayings by various Zen masters.
Nikish Chanekar
Dec 15, 2009 Nikish Chanekar rated it really liked it
nice book on cumulative wisdom gleaned from the correspondences of wise and responsible people of old.this book is not telling us anything new but remind us not to forget the good, the beautiful and the true which is found everywhere irrespective of geographical, social climate. what matters however is having patience to apply this time honoured principle in practial life that is giving them chance to work its way into reality.
GoldenjoyBazyll
While it is a small book in size it really takes a bit of time to read it. The teachings come from Chinese Zen Masters and while they are very thought provoking writings often I had to stop and really re-read and spend more than a quick minute on it. Thessons within the pages are for the person who wants to lead others in a humane and enlightened way. For me it was very affirming and at the same time offered new perspectives.
Amy
Jul 01, 2007 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My dad was reading this book for some reason years and years ago. I picked it up and since then my idea of leadership in business had changed. To watch a human treat another human without judgement or authority in management is so rare, yet it is what works. let people go, trust that they are doing what you hired them to do, believe in them and chances are you will get more from them than if you are a micro-manager.
Jake Maguire
Jun 12, 2008 Jake Maguire rated it really liked it
Worth checking out
Phyllis Campagna
Phyllis Campagna rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2016
Isbjorn
Isbjorn marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
C. Kel
C. Kel marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Chris Igoe
Chris Igoe rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
Nyla
Nyla added it
Aug 25, 2016
nihat kurtgozlu
nihat kurtgozlu marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Bryan
Bryan marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Chaos
Chaos marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Cody Sexton
Cody Sexton marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
GeeketteKathy
GeeketteKathy marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Reza Rusandi
Reza Rusandi is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Tif
Tif marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Henrich
Henrich marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Beau
Beau marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Chaoticreader
Chaoticreader marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Javier Garcia-Ruiz
Javier Garcia-Ruiz marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Roy Estrada
Roy Estrada marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
  • Zen Speaks: Shouts of Nothingness
  • Our Appointment with Life: Discourse on Living Happily in the Present Moment
  • The Zen Way to Martial Arts: A Japanese Master Reveals the Secrets of the Samurai
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation Through Hearing in the Bardo
  • Awakening Loving-Kindness
  • Zen and Japanese Culture
  • The Teachings of Don Carlos: Practical Applications of the Works of Carlos Castaneda
  • Instructions to the Cook: A Zen Master's Lessons in Living a Life That Matters
  • Essential Tibetan Buddhism
  • The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way: Nāgārjuna's Mūlamadhyamakakārikā
  • Meditation in Action
  • Zen Training: Methods And Philosophy
  • The Way of Aikido:  Life Lessons from an American Sensei
  • Essential Zen
  • Taking the Path of Zen
  • Zen Bow, Zen Arrow: The Life and Teachings of Awa Kenzo, the Archery Master from "Zen in the Art of Archery"
  • Beyond Thinking: A Guide to Zen Meditation