Start by marking “No Turning Back: My Summer with Daddy King” as Want to Read:
No Turning Back: My Summer with Daddy King

No Turning Back: My Summer with Daddy King

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  7 reviews
This memoir offers an intimate portrait of Martin Luther King and his family, describing a time of hope and struggle that must not be forgotten. Through a young man's memories of 'Daddy' King, this book provides an inspiring model of what it means to be alive and human.
Published October 20th 2007 by Orbis Books (first published October 2007)

To ask other readers questions about No Turning Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Turning Back

John
An honest an heartfelt account but not entirely what I expected. I expected more of Brewster's struggles with racism in the South and his own internal struggles with what he encountered. I expected some wrestling with his own race bias. I expected more interaction with Daddy King.

What I didn't expect was a whole chapter of recipes for southern cooking and other chapters that just stood still. Overall a good book; just not a great book.
Andy
This is a memoir by an Episcopal Priest who spent a summer with Dr. Martin Luther King in 1961. Its a great tale of what these people of history were really like and provides a glimpse into the civil rights struggles of the 1950's & 1960's in very personal... and personable.. terms.
Jordan Hoover
An honest account of a white northernor who travels to the heart of the south in the 60s. Loved the book and Brewster and it was an easy read, but then ending was a little sadening for me...more could have been done after that summer.
Kristin R
Social Action. Gurdon Brewster is a white minister who spent a summer living with Rev. Martin Luther King in the early sixties. This nook is about that summer.
Diane
read this right after a trip to Atlanta to visit our step-son A unique insight in to the beginnings of the civil rights era.
James
An inspiring book written by a gracious, welcoming man. We had a wonderful talk last Sunday:)
Annette
Moving, honest, thought-provoking. Now I want to meet Rev. Brewster!
Hilary
Hilary marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Shelia Bickle
Shelia Bickle marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2013
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2009
Gretchen
Gretchen is currently reading it
Mar 10, 2008
Nomi
Nomi marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2008