Start by marking “No Turning Back: My Summer with Daddy King” as Want to Read:
No Turning Back: My Summer with Daddy King

No Turning Back: My Summer with Daddy King

This memoir offers an intimate portrait of Martin Luther King and his family, describing a time of hope and struggle that must not be forgotten. Through a young man's memories of 'Daddy' King, this book provides an inspiring model of what it means to be alive and human.
Published October 20th 2007 by Orbis Books (first published October 2007)

To ask other readers questions about No Turning Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Turning Back

John
Aug 12, 2014 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, biography
An honest an heartfelt account but not entirely what I expected. I expected more of Brewster's struggles with racism in the South and his own internal struggles with what he encountered. I expected some wrestling with his own race bias. I expected more interaction with Daddy King.

What I didn't expect was a whole chapter of recipes for southern cooking and other chapters that just stood still. Overall a good book; just not a great book.
Emmie Lancaster
"Always wondered what white folk sing about. No slavery; can't sing about freedom. No hunger; can't sing about the Lord's banquet. Never driven from your home; can't sing about the Promised Land. Never had no cross burning in your yard, no lynchings in your family; can't sing about deliverance. Always wondered what white folks sing about. I guess they sing about bein' across the river on the other shore. But i want freedom now,' she whispered, 'not in the hereafter.'"
Andy
Mar 02, 2008 Andy rated it really liked it
This is a memoir by an Episcopal Priest who spent a summer with Dr. Martin Luther King in 1961. Its a great tale of what these people of history were really like and provides a glimpse into the civil rights struggles of the 1950's & 1960's in very personal... and personable.. terms.
Jordan Hoover
Sep 29, 2013 Jordan Hoover rated it it was amazing
An honest account of a white northernor who travels to the heart of the south in the 60s. Loved the book and Brewster and it was an easy read, but then ending was a little sadening for me...more could have been done after that summer.
Kristin R
Sep 01, 2010 Kristin R rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, umw-2011
Social Action. Gurdon Brewster is a white minister who spent a summer living with Rev. Martin Luther King in the early sixties. This nook is about that summer.
Diane
Jan 28, 2011 Diane rated it it was amazing
read this right after a trip to Atlanta to visit our step-son A unique insight in to the beginnings of the civil rights era.
James
Mar 30, 2011 James rated it it was amazing
An inspiring book written by a gracious, welcoming man. We had a wonderful talk last Sunday:)
Annette
Aug 19, 2011 Annette rated it it was amazing
Moving, honest, thought-provoking. Now I want to meet Rev. Brewster!
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Shiao-lan
Shiao-lan rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2015
Donald
Donald rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2015
Sarah E
Sarah E rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2015
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Hilary
Hilary rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Linda Stegner
Linda Stegner rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2013
Shelia Bickle
Shelia Bickle marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2013
Allie Scott
Allie Scott rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2012
Katrina
Katrina rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2012
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2012
Ginger
Ginger rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2011
Nina
Nina rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2011
Andi
Andi rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2011
Mpmccon
Mpmccon rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2010
LibraryGoddess
LibraryGoddess rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2010