Start by marking “Risk” as Want to Read:
Risk

Risk

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,296 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
With an exciting new package, "the best thriller writer going" (Atlantic Monthly) delivers the kind of suspense his fans expect in this fast-paced novel. When accountant and steeplechase jockey Roland Britten wakes in a pitch-black room with his hands bound, he knows he's entered a nightmare of someone else's making. Now, with his life at stake, he must take every risk to ...more
Paperback
Published (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Risk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Risk

Algernon
Jun 14, 2013 Algernon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Risk is one of the better titles in the Dick Francis catalogue, one that I recommend to readers as yet unfamiliar with his opus as a showcase of his abilities as a storyteller. As usual, it is told in first person by a likable character that looses no time in getting under the reader's skin and gaining his sympathy. How's this for an opening line:

Thursday, March 17, I spent the morning in anxiety, the afternoon in extasy and the evening unconscious.

Read on to find out how the fortunes of Rolan
Harry
What is there to say about Dick Francis? As I think about all of his books (yes, this review covers all of his books, and yes I've read them all) I think about a moral ethical hero, steeped in intelligence and goodness embroiled in evil machinations within British horse racing society - either directly or indirectly. The heroes aren't always horse jockies, they can be film producers, or involve heroes engaged in peripheral professions that somehow always touch the horse racing world.

But more tha
Margaret
Nov 18, 2008 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Why I love Dick Francis books...all of them.
Learn about some profession, lovely men as heroes, who can take a lickin' and keep on tickin', plot twists galore, genuine good guys among some real villains, who get what they deserve in the end.

Sadly, I have now read all of them.
Jay
Dec 13, 2015 Jay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't find this as compelling as other Francis stories I've read. In others, Francis combines some aspect of horseracing with a couple of other things, like computer viruses and glass blowing in one. I think I've always been able to pick out two areas where Francis did some research and wove some details about the non-horse racing topics into the story. This one was about an auditor/accountant, and while I caught a sliver of an interesting tidbit about accounting, I didn't get anything else. ...more
Kara Jorges
Aug 09, 2011 Kara Jorges rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most Dick Francis novels begin with a strange happenstance stumbled onto by an intrepid hero who soon finds himself beat up and bound, fighting to survive, before he solves the crime and gets away with the girl. This one began with a hero who wakes to find himself locked up, without knowing why. The hero, Roland Britten, is an accountant who rides racehorses as an amateur. During his incarceration, he goes over his entire life trying to figure out who locked him up. He finds he’s been put in a s ...more
Jennifer Griffith
Jul 21, 2009 Jennifer Griffith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My friend Louise always tells me she loves Dick Francis novels, so I finally checked one out. A great read! Well woven plot. Very likable characters, and I loved the setting. Who knew an accountant who doubles as a jockey could be so interesting?

My one complaint was the three longish stretches where the Roland was held captive. The description, while intense, started to make me wish we'd wrap it up soon and get him out of there so something else would happen. Other than that, a real goodread!

I'l
Diane
Oct 01, 2011 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook

Had a vague memory that I didn't care for Dick Francis but I picked this up in audiocassette from th elibrary's withdrawn pile and it was quite good. An enjoyable cozy about an abducted accountant/amatuer jockey, with just enough racing to be inteestig but not overwhelm the story. Who knew? It was also very well narrated.
Coyle
Jun 09, 2011 Coyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid, quick read, and an interesting (if sometimes silly) plot. The only downside is that Francis can't seem to decide if his bad guys are bad or not. They'll kidnap, abuse, cheat, steal, lie, defraud, etc, but when a single murder would have let them get away with things completely, they back off...
Still, an entertaining book.
LJ
RISK - Ex
Francis, Dick - 16th book

This thriller involves the kidnapping aboard a ship of an amateur jockey and accountant Roland Britten. Schoolmistress Miss Hilary Roland helps him out, asking an unusual favor in return.

Wonderful book but I'm grateful I don't get seasick. Loved Hilary.

Ian Rodwell
May 08, 2013 Ian Rodwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have reviewed this novel and the other Dick Francis novels and put them in a FREE EBook.

You can get your copy at:

Aug 18, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do love Dick Francis. Easy to ead with lots of detail that doesn't bore, rather colours the story to make it believable and rivetting.
Julie
Not the best Francis novel, but even mediocre Francis is better than most authors can achieve.
Cee
Jan 02, 2016 Cee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I've always liked reading Dick Francis books, but had forgotten that I really didn't enjoy any of the (very few) recordings I've heard. Other than the fact that I can "read" while doing something else, I prefer the written books. This reader also doesn't lend much to the book.

This book has very flat women. They have no depth and just do things with no warning. It actually made me wonder if that is how men think of women, as people who wear things and do things for no reason. At one point, the m
Kunal Bhattacharya
Roland Britten had a way with numbers, was an accountant by profession, and "always lived by the law by choice and inclination". In course of practicing his profession, Britten made quite a few enemies, who had been sent to prison for embezzlements discovered by him. He was well aware of his adversaries, but had never imagined that they would perpetrate any harm. That was until he was abducted from a racecourse soon after he won the Cheltenham Gold Cup. (Britten had a passion for horse-riding an ...more
Feliz
Mar 02, 2013 Feliz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horseracing
In "Risiko" heisst der Held Roland Britten, seines Zeichens Steuerberater aus Leidenschaft und Amateur - Jockey aus Passion. Am Tag seines größten Triumphes, an dem er als krasser Außenseiter überraschend das Gold Cup Rennen gewinnt, wird er entführt und findet sich mit einem scheußlichen Kater auf einem Schiff wieder - mitten im Mittelmeer. Mit Geduld und Kühnheit und der Hilfe einer ganz besonderen Frau, der Schuldirektorin Miss Pinlock, gelingt es ihm, seinen Bewachern zu entkommen. Aber kaum ...more
Silvio111
Sep 12, 2014 Silvio111 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining. Who knew an accountant could be so interesting? Also, it has a very respectful portrayal of a middle aged lady propositioning a younger man in memorable circumstances, and wonder of wonder, he does not treat her with scorn. Surely this deserves some sort of medal from Literature.

This is the first Dick Francis novel I have read, and I see that I now have a new pool of entertaining books to work my way through.
Tiina
Aug 04, 2014 Tiina rated it really liked it
The main character was an accountant whose life was far from boring. The book launched right into action, which has proven the most unforgettable of all scenes in Dick Francis' books. Even after 10 years since the previous read, I remembered almost everything about that.

And there my recollection ended, and I was able to enjoy the rest of the book more or less as if I'd never read it before.
Bruce
Dec 28, 2014 Bruce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roland Britten is kidnapped but he has no idea why. Kept hostage in a tiny room on a boat. He tries to unravel who kidnapped him and why. It wasn't bad. The solitary time, while he was kidnapped sort of dragged on. I get why it was there, but it carried on a little too much. Probably 3 1/2 stars. No language.
Mark Isaak
The middle of the book was as good as most Dick Francis books, but the beginning was slow. For about a quarter of the book, the protagonist was locked in the same small room, which became tedious for me as well as for him. And the book could have used an epilogue to tell what, if anything, happened to the bad guys.
JodiP
Apr 13, 2015 JodiP rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, dick-francis
There were a lot of tense scenes in this book, as the main character, Roland Britain is kidnapped, and he must find a way to escape. I love his careful unravelling of the mystery, and really enjoyed the character of Hilary. I kept hoping he really see her, instead of being attracted to Jossie.
Sue
Jul 22, 2012 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, england
Accountant and amateur jockey Roland Britten finds himself restrained, in pitch darkness, unable to sit up completely, with a loud rumbling nearby that he can't identify. The answers come to where he is, but not why. He manages to escape only be to taken again a few days later. Throughout, he works to figure out who put him there and why and how to stay alive.
Re-read in 2012. While most Dick Francis books start relatively slow setting up the scenerio, this one seems to start at full speed and
Lise
Nov 15, 2015 Lise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this on a whim - and liked it much more than I expected to. It was quite dated (to be expected), but I really enjoyed the main character. I may look for some of Mr. Francis's newer works to see how he grew over time...
Alexis Neal
Jun 07, 2011 Alexis Neal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the first Dick Francis books I ever read as a kid (the absolute first was Dead Cert), and still one of my favorites. The hero (of sorts) is an accountant to those involved in the racing world, and a bit of an amateur jockey himself. Toss in a dash of romance, an inexplicable kidnapping, and the challenges of coping with long term confinement in a small space (this would be a substitute for the usual man v. nature portion of Francis' novels), and you have yourself a decent little mystery. ...more
Lorraine
Sep 17, 2011 Lorraine rated it liked it
Roland Britten is an accountant and part-time steeplechase jockey. The day he rides Tapestry, the horse wins the Cheltenham Gold Cup. Roland is kidnapped at the races and wakes up in the sail hold of a sail boat at sea. He's kept in the dark for about 10 days, and manages to escape. When he arrives home, the police don't seem concerned as he's not been hurt. Three days later, he's kidnapped again, this time kept in a dark van in a deserted garage. He is released by the police after another three ...more
Keith Bell
Mar 13, 2015 Keith Bell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read a few Dick Francis books when I was quite a bit younger. More because I had nothing else to read than by choice. Appreciate his stories more now than then.
Art
Again, Great reading by Dick Francis. Wild and enjoyable ride w/the horse in the book.
A look at the world of Accounting and what some things the career is about.
Correen
Not great, formulaic, almost quit reading it, but eventually entertaining. I probably would have enjoyed more if I knew or cared about horse racing.
Tim Flanagan
Dec 24, 2015 Tim Flanagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book - great research and background information as with all Dick Francis books.
Carolyn
Jul 12, 2015 Carolyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery, horses
(reread)

his was my company on the blanket at Lollapalooza on Sunday. Dick Francis is like comfort food to me. The mac’n'cheese of mysteries. The tomato soup in my readin’ week. I can (and have) read some of these over and over.

He rarely repeats a character, but two books of his that I have read a zillion times over are “Bolt” and “Break In” both featuring Kit Fielding. If you like mysteries, and you like horses, and jockeys, and racing, and the occasional princess, then high thee to a bookstore.
Phil Lawless
Still a good read after many years
  • Dick Francis's Bloodline
  • Levkas Man
  • Double Jeopardy (Tweed & Co. #1)
  • A Palm for Mrs Pollifax (Mrs Pollifax, #4)
  • The First Eagle (Leaphorn  & Chee, #13)
  • Betrayal
  • Pray for a Brave Heart
  • The Confession (The Yalta Boulevard Sequence #2)
  • The Horse You Came In On (Richard Jury, #12)
  • Kiss (87th Precinct #44)
  • The Wall
  • The Golden Rendezvous
  • The Mother Hunt (Nero Wolfe #38)
  • The Mountains Have a Secret
  • Mercy
Dick Francis CBE (born Richard Stanley Francis) was a popular British horse racing crime writer and retired jockey.

Dick Francis worked on his books with his wife, Mary, before her death. Dick considered his wife to be his co-writer - as he is quoted in the book, "The Dick Francis Companion", released in 2003:
"Mary and I worked as a team. ... I have often said that I would have been happy to have b
More about Dick Francis...