Koniec świata w Breslau

Koniec świata w Breslau (Eberhard Mock #2)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  389 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The second installment in the darkly intelligent series that The Independent called “As noir as they get.”

1927, Breslau, Poland: Two elaborate and sadistic murders are discovered within days of each other. The body of an unknown musician, bound and gagged, is found behind a false wall in a shoemaker’s workshop. The victim had been sealed in alive. Elsewhere in the city, th...more
Published 2006 by POLITYKA Spółdzielnia Pracy / WAB (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Koniec świata w Breslau, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Koniec świata w Breslau

Nancy Oakes
Eberhard Mock is back in yet another adventure, this one involving a series of bizarre murders whose victims seem to have no connection to one another, yet which the police know have been done by the same person.

It's 1960, and Eberhard Mock is in New York City, dying of lung cancer. His old friend Herbert Anwaldt (who first appeared in Krajewski's Death in Breslau) comes to see him and Mock has a "confession" he needs to get off of his chest before he departs this earthly life. Flash back in ti...more
Gosia
Pierwsza ofiara przykuta do ściany i żywcem zamurowana, druga poćwiartowana, trzecia..., kolejna... , a przy każdej - kartka z kalendarza. Sprawa, jak nic, dla Eberharda Mocka, tylko że pan radca ma inne problemy na głowie.

Jest zima 1927 roku, a od "sprawy czterech marynarzy" ("Widma w mieście Breslau") upłynęło 8 lat i sporo się zmieniło. Mock doczekał się upragnionego przeniesienia do wydziału kryminalnego i awansował na wiceszefa tegoż wydziału (dość niezwykłe okoliczności owego awansu opisał...more
Jim Coughenour
Here's a book that lives up to its cover. I enjoyed it as much as Death in Breslau – which is not always the case with a sequel. Curiously: the first book was set in the early 1930s; the second is set in 1927. The third in the series, The Phantoms of Breslua, is set in 1919. Are we going to end up with a perverse child detective? Wouldn't be surprised.

Krajewski's books are whacked. His star detective, Eberhard Mock, is an alcoholic bully and wife-beater – and that's just for starters. The murder...more
Curt
Reading the first two installments in Krajewski's Inspector Mock series has been, well, a learning experience & a fun ride. Great detail, but not overdone, & well constructed characters. Early twentieth century Breslau, then a German city, now Wrocław in Western Poland, is a classic setting for a noir-style mystery novel. I enjoyed both of these books very much.
Much attention is paid to the antagonists love of latin & early education in the classics. He drinks to excess, is a WWI ve...more
Barbara McVeigh
This book will make you flinch: It's a graphic mix of sex, corruption and violence, and even a simple description of a man pulling out his rotting teeth will make you want to turn away from the pages. All of the characters are bad, bad people - depraved and immoral - yet I love to read Krajewski's books.

The End of the World in Breslau is not as tightly structured as its predecessor, Death in Breslau, but it still kept me enthralled. I'm not quite sure what to make of the world of Elizabeth and...more
Reinhold
Breslau - noch Deutschland - anno domini 1927. In der Stadt folgt ein Mord auf den anderen. Zuerst wird ein seit Monaten eingemauerter Mann gefunden. Als nächster taucht die Leiche eines jungen Mannes auf - in die kleinsten Einzelteile zerlegt. Und das Morden nimmt kein Ende. All die Toten haben nichts gemeinsam, außer dass man bei ihnen jeweils ein Kalenderblatt findet, das den Todestag definiert. Die Ermittlungen liegen in den Händen des trink- und selbstsüchtigen Kriminalrat Mock, der seine M...more
Col
Blurb/synopsis..........
Breslau in the 1920s is haunt of marquises and merchants, gamblers and gutter-rats. Eberhard Mock, the hardened Criminal Councillor, fits right in as he sways from the basements of grubby casinos to his beautiful young wife in their palatial mansion.
But his beautiful young wife is feeling neglected. A series of sinister murders linked by the dates of past crimes has taken Mock out of the bedroom and into the archives. While Mock ransacks the city for clues, driven mad by...more
Robert Intriago
The book was divided into two parts for me. Before the third murder and after. I found the before a little slow, but interesting. The after is excellent, fast paced, seedy, dark and all those qualities that make a crime noir hard to put down. The protagonist is captivating and one of the most human characters in crime noir. He does a couple of things that reminded me of Bruen's Taylor. He is violent, ill tempered and drinks too much but he is also intelligent and insightful.

The narrative at time...more
Anna
Eberhard Mock has to solve the case of serial killer in Breslau - he murders people with any key and leaves a card from a calendar on each body. Because of investigation Mock neglects his young wife, Sophie, who joins to weird sect believing that the world's end is near. There are beautiful women, morphine addicts and members of secret societies. Breslau full of dark corners, alleys and desires - the thick atmosphere is more important than who killed?.
Liz Amaral
This is terrific author. Was recommended to me by small local bookshop. The setting and the mood is dark, strongly evocative of time and place.
Russell Olson
Definitely my favorite in the series. I need to revisit the last few pages just to straighten things out, but man, what character development. I can't wait for more of Krajewski's work to be translated.
Clumsy
brutto libro francamente (c’è sempre la possibilità di un editing fatto non proprio sapientemente). non riesce a coinvolgere nemmeno un po’. mi rimane il dubbio di aver sbagliato a non iniziare con il primo...
Anna
I've never read about one of my favourite cities that it is so dark and gloomy! Mystery is lurking around the corner... and the answer to it is in the history of the city. Really like it.
Rlcohen
This was really noir. I did end up skipping through some sections that were tedious but I did find the characters interesting. I'm debating whether or not to read the next one.
Arthur Mitchell
1920's noir. Excellent. I read it in English. Can't find the book title on Goodreads. The English translation is "The End Of The World in Breslau"
Boris
Second volume in the series, just as good as the first. Elegant riding. Brilliant plot.
Judy
i only read 25% of the book and stopped. I don't like the characters.
Shan Shwe
Gritty and slightly disturbing.
John Richards
John Richards marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Justyna
Justyna marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
  • Paradyzja
  • Entanglement (Teodor Szacki, #1)
  • Rozmowy z katem
  • Ida sierpniowa (Jeżycjada, #4)
  • Lód
  • Tatuaggio (Pepe Carvalho #2)
  • Pan Lodowego Ogrodu. Tom 1
  • Gottland
  • House of Day, House of Night
  • Madame
  • Hospital of the Transfiguration
  • Brother Kemal (Kayankaya, #5)
  • Dregs (William Wisting #6)
  • The Hand That Trembles (Ann Lindell, #8)
  • Klin
  • Der unglückliche Mörder. (Inspector Van Veeteren #7)
Polish classical philologist, specialist in Latin linguistics, former academic teacher of University of Wrocław. Author of very popular series about Eberhard Mock and interwar Wrocław. In 2005 he got Polityka's Passport and Big Calbier Award for best crime story of 2003
More about Marek Krajewski...
Śmierć w Breslau Widma w mieście Breslau Festung Breslau Dżuma w Breslau (Eberhard Mock, #5) Erynie