Start by marking “Движущиеся картинки (Плоский мир, #10)” as Want to Read:
Движущиеся картинки (Плоский мир, #10)

Движущиеся картинки (Discworld #10)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  44,699 Ratings  ·  881 Reviews
Готовьтесь, достойные жители Анк-Морпорка, ибо вас ждет самое необычное зрелище на всем Плоском мире! Движущиеся картинки уже здесь! Так что запасайтесь попзерном, устраивайтесь поудобнее и внимайте подлинной истории Голывуда. Волшебники и тролли, продавцы горячих сосисок и говорящий Чудо-Пес Гаспод, Тиари из Подземельных измерений и отважный библиотекарь из Незримого Унив ...more
Published December 2000 by Эксмо (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Движущиеся картинки, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Движущиеся картинки

Tfitoby
Jun 07, 2014 Tfitoby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Holy Wood. To pass the time quickly, you just film the clock hands moving fast... but when it's being written by Terry Pratchett why would you want to?

Moving Pictures, Pratchett's Discworld parody of Hollywood, appeals to me a great deal purely as a cinephile and wannabe film maker but as it's Pratchett it's also brilliant and brilliantly funny filled with wicked caricatures and wonderful characters, and of course evil puns aplenty.

In this must-read episode you get to know more about the
Melki
Dec 20, 2012 Melki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who'd want to spend their time moving pictures? Most of them looked alright where they were.

A shady sausage vendor and a student of wizardry head to Holy Wood for fame and fortune in the early days of the Discworld film industry. Hey, kids! Let's put on a show! Sounds like wholesome family entertainment, does it not?

Well...since this sprang from the mind of Terry Pratchett, expect chaos and devastation, licentious landladies, mass hysteria, dogs and cats sharing conversations...

S-o-o-o-o...in a
Mike (the Paladin)
Mar 27, 2012 Mike (the Paladin) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm stingy with my 5 star ratings and considered going with a 4 here, but I really enjoyed this read. It is hilarious. From Trolls who don't want to get "type cast" (I played a troll who runs out and hits him with a rock) to a talking wonder dog who can't get noticed because he's too "scruffy" the cliches of the movies get very skewered. Everyone is headed to (the?)"Holy Wood" to be a star. And of course as we all know, moving pictures or, "the clicks" can effect the fabric of reality.

Sir Terry
YouKneeK
This is my least favorite Discworld book so far. I think this is mainly because I didn’t find the story appealing at all. The characters were ok, and I really liked Gaspode the talking dog, but I was bored by the story.

At the beginning of the book, an old man living alone in a remote area called Holy Wood dies. After his death, strange things start happening and some alchemists develop the concept of “moving pictures” which become hugely popular. People travel en masse to Holy Wood (I trust you
J.G. Keely
I have a lot of friends who swear by Pratchett, but I found him rather dull. I tried reading the first book in the series, but I couldn't finish it. A friend suggested this as one of his better outings, so I bit.

He seems to harp on the most obvious jokes, extending one-note gags into paragraphs, chapters, or even whole books. I found that out of every ten jokes, one would make me laugh and nine would make me groan and roll my eyes. Really not a good rate of return.

His world-building is passable,
Nicole
Jul 23, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-satire
Nathan
Part 10 of the Complete Discworld Reread

Wow, what a slog. When I started this reread I was wondering how a couple of those I had ignored would read a second time around, with “Moving Pictures” being my biggest fear. On this occasion my memory was correct, this may be the weakest Pratchett book until the football one released a few years back.

Now don’t get me wrong, even a bad Pratchett book is worth reading, and this wasn’t a complete waste of time. As per the usual, some of the humor hits hard
Ashley
This book was very disappointing. Usually I have no trouble retaining interest in a Terry Pratchett/Discworld novel, but this one I had to force myself to finish.

I think my problem with it is that it's too literal. What I love about Pratchett's writing most of the time is how he manages to mock things scathingly while at the same time making wonderful (and more general) loving comments about humanity. By following such a narrow path as he did in this book (with the straight on Hollywood/Holy Wo
Matt
Mar 28, 2015 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I reluctantly rate this first Discworld novel I read 3 stars. I figure there are others in this long series that are better, and probably some are worse. I just have no base for comparison, and I may raise the rating later.

I also can't judge the characters and plot with regards to the other books. Is Cut-me-own-Throat Dibbler a major character in the series? Will I read about Victor and Ginger again? Are the wizards of the Unseen University always the same? (I suppose they are, but I cannot tell
Mary Catelli
May 15, 2015 Mary Catelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy, humor
The tenth Discworld. Kinda stand-alone. The Unseen University and the Patrician feature in ways to that connect to earlier stories, but the main characters and their tale stand-alone. Those who read the series will see him forcibly adjusting the world-building because he didn't really like the set-up he had given it at first.

But an old man dies and realizes too late that he had not trained a successor to continue lighting the ritual fire. And things start to happen as not quite real things seep
Chris
Given a choice between books and movies, many people - myself included - will say that books are always better than movies. "You can use your imagination," we'll say, "drawing on the powers of the human mind to create things that manifestly are not real. You can decide for yourself what the scenes look like and how the characters appear, rather than have some director feed his or her vision over yours."

Despite that, however, we all still love the movies. If you gave me a novelization of Casablan
Roviragrao
Jun 21, 2015 Roviragrao rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relecturas
(Relectura Mundodisco #10)

¿Cómo sería el cine en el Mundodisco? Nos encontramos ante la primera de las novelas independientes del Mundodisco, aunque los magos tienen bastante presencia. Pratchett consigue integrar la historia del cine y los mitos hollywoodienses en su mundo, que amenaza con quebrarse ante tanta magia y grandiosidad.

No es una de las mejores novelas del Mundodisco... pero es divertidísima. Ankh-Morpork vuelve a ser protagonista, Y-Voy-A-La-Ruina Escurridizo gana presencia y conoc
Kua
Feb 15, 2015 Kua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, b-top
Dopo aver letto l'ennesimo libro di Pratchett (ok ok sono solo tre finora, ma aumenteranno!), mi è sorta spontanea una domanda: come diavolo è possibile che nessuno abbia ancora trasformato i suoi libri in film??? Sono praticamente perfetti per essere trasposti sul grande schermo, gli ingredienti ci sono tutti: humor, spessore, trame imprevedibili, colpi di scena... E allora come mai sono uscite solo poche produzioni per la televisione? Questa è una cosa che proprio non mi spiego. Ma passiamo al ...more
Kate
Apr 05, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis from Google Books:

Discworld's pesky alchemists are up to their old tricks again. This time, they've discovered how to get gold from silver -- the silver screen that is. Hearing the siren call of Holy Wood is one Victor Tugelbend, a would-be wizard turned extra. He can't sing, he can't dance, but he can handle a sword (sort of), and now he wants to be a star. So does Theda Withel, an ambitious ingénue from a little town (where else?) you've probably never heard of.

But the click click of
Jun 11, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moving Pictures is the first in the so-called "Industrial Revolution" line of discworld novels. It was published in 1990, the same year as Eric, and is a wonderful satire on Hollywood and the film industry.
Main characters in this story are Victor Tugelbend, who devised a very intelligent system to fail exams at Unseen University "good enough" not to be thrown out, and Theda 'Ginger' Withel, who just wants to be herself, as big as possible. They are both drawn away from their day-to-day lives by
Wiebke (1book1review)
This is another perfect example of how Pratchett uses the discworld to question our own world and the things we do.

Moving pictures is all about the introduction of movies to the discworld and how it entrances everyone and changes peoples perception of their selves and the influence the new technoogy and media has on society.
Of course it wouldn't be a discworld novel if Holy Wood (the area the moving pictures are home to) didn't have its own agenda and ideas for the world.

I highly recommend this
Octavia Cade
A distinctly average Discworld outing, really only notable for the introduction of Detritus the troll, soon-to-be member of the City Watch and one of my eventual favourites though he's not much to write home about here.

It's clever, as Pratchett always is, but I think what this book lacks for me - in comparison to many of the other Discworld books - is some sort of emotional centre. In that sense, it's closer to the early Rincewind books than it is to the witches or the City Watch or the Tiffany
Jamie
May 08, 2009 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett is the first of his Diskworld novels to make me go "Meh..." The idea is that an evil spirit breaks lose and starts putting ideas in people's heads that give birth to the creation of motion pictures, or "clicks" on the Disk. It's got enough good lines, jokes, and parodies to make it entertaining, but the whole Hollywood lampoon seems so out of place on the Diskworld that I found it really distracting and jarring. Indeed, Pratchett seems to anticipate this reacti ...more
Marilag
Apr 10, 2010 Marilag rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You'd think, after the beginning humor, you'd expect most of the jokes would die out. It can't get any funnier than the previous funny, can it? What a load of cabbages. Things could get funnier, and the ratio of laughter volume over gradual page turns increased by leaps and bounds. I don't know how on earth I managed to survive over 20 years without having read any of the Discworld books until recently (The Truth was my first).

Pratchett shows his mastery not only with writing fiction, but he ext
Carol
May 01, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hollywood dreams... and it dreams big!
I gotta say, it was fantastic seeing how Pratchett gave life to Hollywood itself, setting up a town in the middle of nowhere, were it's always sunny and you are just... not yourself.
Amazing! I read this a while ago in Spanish and decided to reread it for an Scifi essay I had to write during my Master's.
I didn't remember it to be this funny.
Natalie
Hollywood comes to the Discworld.

We have the introduction of Ponder Stibbons, Gaspode, and Archchancellor Ridcully. And the Bursar isn't mad yet. The Librarian, Dibbler, and Detritus play supporting roles, and we also see the other wizards (including Windle Poons), Death, the Patrician, and Nobby Nobbs and Sgt Colon.
Ksenia Anske
Jan 21, 2015 Ksenia Anske rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
If you've never wept from laughter, read this book. You can thank me later.
Andree
May 02, 2016 Andree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
3.5 stars, but rounding up. This is another one that I hadn't read yet, and I ended up liking it a lot better than I expected to. It's a stand-alone, and those can be hit and miss in the Discworld series. But this held together a story. Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler (or CMOT as he insists on being called in this), makes a surprisingly good Hollywood Mogul. The town of Holy Wood is also sufficiently developed so as to work, and while the Archchancellor is annoying in this, some of the other wizards a ...more
Penelope  ~Conversations with my cat~
I really liked this book! I loved the little references of other movies in it.
Kathleen Dixon
I wasn't enjoying this so much at first, but then I'm not really a movie buff. I enjoy movies but I'm not one of these people who avidly follow the actors and their lives, or even what different films they perform in. Still, compared with some people I know, I guess I watch quite a few - it's another form of escapism, like reading - and I've read my share of popular magazines at the hairdresser or in the dentist's waiting room. So I'm aware of the lengths some go to in order to see 'the stars', ...more
Colleen
Nov 14, 2015 Colleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, wizards
I know it's horrible--giving Pratchett just two stars and on a book that centers around old Hollywood.

I did laugh out loud a few times, probably more than other funny books, but this was just a miss for me. Victor and Ginger didn't really have the pizzazz of Moist & Adora and CMOT Dibbler has never been one of my favorite characters. It did have Gaspode the Wonder Dog in it though.

It would have been actually much better with Moist as like Irving Thalberg like character versus Dibbler...

Als
Fran
There are definitely some five star scenes in this book, and some first rate punning, but Pratchett-staires-x is never my favourite.
David
Sep 09, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Perhaps not Sir Pratchett's finest novel but the rollicking grand finale / set-piece is a block-buster!
Justin
May 24, 2016 Justin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fair warning, this is going to be miles away from an objective review.

This is the book where it really hit me that Terry Pratchett's gone. I didn't start reading Pratchett until a few years ago, so I wasn't yet up to the more recent installments when he died. I saw friends dealing with his death and could empathize, but it never really hit me that hard. I knew I liked his writing style, and I'd been eating through his novels, but there was so much left to go that I never really had to feel his a
Paul Wardman
Apr 10, 2016 Paul Wardman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not really a book that fits into any of the other sub-series but if you had to pigeon hole it I'd have to say it goes with the wizards as they do play a part.

Hollywood comes to the Disc and the results are as hilarious and well thought out as you'd expect. Like music (which I'll get to in another book) people talk about the magic of movies and Pratchett's magic induced world coupled with his genius explores this to the Nth degree.

In terms of cast it's a fairly new, unknown and one timers only
Terry Pratchett Fans: Group Read: Moving Pictures 10 22 Jul 14, 2016 08:03AM
Goodreads Librari...: [SOLVED] Book with data issues 3 16 May 08, 2016 09:18PM
  • The Brentford Chainstore Massacre
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • Dead Funny: Flying Dutch and Faust Among Equals
  • Knights Of Madness
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • Terry Pratchett's Hogfather: The Illustrated Screenplay

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)

“The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.” 1068 likes
“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.” 670 likes