Start by marking “In the Ruins (Crown of Stars, #6)” as Want to Read:
In the Ruins (Crown of Stars, #6)

In the Ruins (Crown of Stars #6)

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  2,249 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
The long-awaited cataclysm has reshaped the very land and seas, and disrupted the war for the empire. Now all who have survived the return of the spell-exiled Aoi lands must find a way to mend their shattered territories and take a stand against their enemies in a power struggle that may forge new alliances-or doom them all.
Published February 7th 2006 by DAW (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about In the Ruins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Ruins

Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
This is an okay installment, better than the one before. But it’s only the first half of the final book, which was split in two due to length (a counterintuitive choice; seven is such a prominent number in the mythology of the series that I had a hard time believing this wasn’t the plan all along). As such, it’s incomplete, ending without a climax or the close of any plot arcs. And the structure is strange; we spend a good bit of time with Liath and Sanglant in the first 2/3 of the book, only fo ...more
Lucinda
Mar 25, 2012 Lucinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'In the Ruins' is volume six within Kate Elliott's epic series "Crown of stars" that contains 7 books, portraying fantasy fiction at its very best and any reader who enjoys reading this particular genre then i urge you to read Kate Elliott's series. This book i love slightly more than the others because of its depth & detail that the author goes into within the storyline and plot, compared to the previous first books where the adventure is just begining and introduced to the reader. It is gr ...more
Dave
Mar 22, 2008 Dave rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
As if surviving the cataclysm wasn't bad enough, now everyone has to find their way home, fight enemies on all sides, deal with double crossing 'allies', and try to keep the rest of civilization from starving to death.
Not a very cheery book...but one of the best. As much as I hate when the bad guys seem to get away with one evil deed after another, it does make the story more realistic.
Now, on to the last book.
Kristi-anne
Sep 09, 2015 Kristi-anne rated it it was amazing
I read these a while ago and was one of best sets I read so far, so anticipating all the way through all 7 books omg such good set I wished they never end, one of those where you finish and think "NOW WHAT?! :("
AWESOME!
Rindis
Nov 06, 2016 Rindis rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
In origin, this is half a book. Each volume of the Crown of Stars series was longer than the last, and here at the end it finally got too long to put under one cover.

It's also hard to figure out how to treat this section of the series. The major world-changing event was the return of the Ashoi (or not, with the potential of destroying the planet in the process), at the end of the fifth book. Is this this just a denouement? As usual, the entire, by now very large, cast of characters show up with
Unwisely
Jan 17, 2017 Unwisely rated it liked it
It took me several tries to even start this book - I think I got it out of the library twice without even opening it - but once I started it, I was sucked in. Which isn't to say there weren't annoying things, or slow parts, but, well, I read the whole thing.

I'm annoyed at some parts, of course, but am heartened to see (view spoiler)
Ruth
Jul 23, 2011 Ruth rated it it was ok
"c 2005: I could not have said it any better! Especially about the slogging apart: Courtesy of Amazon ""In this, the sixth book (after The Gathering Storm) of the Crown of Stars series, Elliott nearly brings readers the conclusion of this massive and engrossing series about the clash of religious fervor, ethnic strife and magic. The Ashioi's return coincides with the murder of King Henry (supposedly by his bastard son Sanglant), and sorceress Liath's disruption of Queen Anne's attempt to use the ...more
Lauretta Cocke
May 30, 2013 Lauretta Cocke rated it liked it
I am going to commence ranting, and there will very likely be swear words below: YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

-BEGIN RANT-
So, I am almost finished, and I have a conundrum: Why is it taking me so damned long to read these books?!
I think the answer resides in the chapters from (.... shit, what's her name again?) FatReligiousCow's POV. Her thought repetition is killing my enjoyment of this book. Even when important and interesting things are going on in her chapters, her incessantly wearing a groove into t
Fence
Apr 20, 2010 Fence rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff
The first time I read King’s Dragon, the first book of this series I wasn’t all that impressed. But for some reason I reread it.
And on my second reading I enjoyed it a lot more. But that was more than a few years, and as seems to happen, the Crown of Stars series has ended up a much longer series than it started out. This is book six, the penultimate in the series.

I probably should have reread the others before reading this one, but I remembered most of what had gone on, if not the exact details
Erin
Mar 20, 2010 Erin rated it it was amazing
This book is an entertaining, robust, suspenseful and well written read. She introduces some fascinating dilemmas that were great fun to see play out. It was amazing, and I only wish the quality had been this good throughout the rest of the series!!! I think Kate Elliott's major problem is pacing - it should be half the books it is. It seems every fantasy book has that overlong trial by fire that the main character goes through, given she did it for every major character, it prevented the series ...more
Gilda Felt
Oct 29, 2015 Gilda Felt rated it liked it
My two main reasons for giving this volume only three stars are, one, not enough Sanglant, Liath, and almost no Alain. Why hide your three most interesting characters under a bush? Second, I am getting heartily tired of hearing about how gorgeous Hugh is. Okay, he’s a good looking man, but I can believe that no one is immune to that beauty, especially since his evilness is often more than apparent. It puts him almost on a pedestal, while, at the same time, making all these characters who are tot ...more
Armando Alvarez
Sep 18, 2007 Armando Alvarez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ages 17 and up
a very good book, very intriguing . Disappointed that it was split in to two books but I like the irony of it . 7 crown 7 books 7 and 7 gates (aka crown teleport areas).I like this book the least because I hate hugh just the way he "sounds" in this book makes me want to rip him to shreds but that just me lol. This is the book where everything goes quiet like the silence before the storm . The tension is so high you dont want to drop this book to do what your "suppose " to do =P. I learned from t ...more
Deanne Robin
Apr 27, 2013 Deanne Robin rated it it was amazing
This is the book where it all starts to become clear! Everyone's point of views are starting to head in the same direction and characters are fully developed. Now is the time when everyone is picking up the pieces left behind by the cataclysm and trying to figure out who is friend or foe. It can seem to drag out a little and the Ashoi are so different because of their time in exile that they seem to be dull compared to the rest of the characters. It shows the change that has happened to both peo ...more
Desiree
Book six has been my least favorite of this series thus far. I found all the bickering between everyone annoying/downer albeit probably realistic. Of course, several of the plot developments are pretty key. I can understand Kate Elliott's debate with having to either cut stuff or have two books. Thank goodness I already had a copy of book seven (the concluding book for this series) from the library or I might have taken a break from this series. if you don't like book six, don't worry, book seve ...more
Dar B
Feb 23, 2011 Dar B rated it liked it
I'm sure by the end of this series, Ms. Elliott will wrap up all of the loose ends..., at least, I hope so. This book is so fragmented. I really do prefer authors who make their series installments to be stand alone novels, but I am sure that must be very difficult. Of course this plot is convoluted and intricate with a plethora of characters, therefore all the harder to have each book make sense, on its own. She is an excellent writer and I have enjoyed her style immensely but I would rather re ...more
Amy Musser
Jul 21, 2016 Amy Musser rated it really liked it
This series got a bit out of hand in the middle, but this book starts to rein it in. It's pretty obvious that this is half of a final "book" (originally combined with book 7), so if really doesn't stand on its own like most books do. But when you're on book 6 of a 7 book series, you might as well drop the pretense. You're in it for the long haul. The mini climaxes WNC resolutions start to feel wrong anyway.
Katherine
Feb 14, 2008 Katherine rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Fantasy, sixth in the Crown of Stars series. A bridge between the cataclysmic events of the fifth and the conclusions to be drawn in the seventh. The book is quite a doorstopper but Elliott has created so many characters that she ends up spending hundreds of pages catching up on where all of them are now. Good writing as usual but it seems that readers must wait for the seventh book for anything to actually happen.
Kerri
Jan 23, 2009 Kerri rated it really liked it
The sixth book in Kate Elliott's expansive and often overly-complicated Crown of Stars series. I enjoyed it, though I disliked the utter lack of Alain appearances through most of the first part of the book. Some of the storylines can drag at times, especially those involving Biscop Antonia and Ivar, but most of the time there's enough action and drama going on to keep you interested. Not a good book to read as a stand-alone, but as a part of the series it's excellent.
Sarah Jane
Mar 11, 2010 Sarah Jane rated it it was amazing
The Crown of Stars series is my first introduction into science fiction and fantasy novels. That's the only reason they would get such a high rating. As a young girl I related with the character Liath, especially her ability to escape to an attic in her mind where she hides all her pain. It taught me a valuable coping mechanism, and probably helped me in later years with meditation.
Melissa
Nov 23, 2008 Melissa rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who have more patience than me (and I have a LOT of patience with series!)
I'd read all of the books in the series up to this one, and even had the final book in the series. A friend of mine who had been reading the series with me warned me that the last two really dragged, and boy, was she right! I picked this one up, and was able to drag myself through it, but the last one I didn't even bother finishing! They just got too convoluted at the end.
Tim
Dec 21, 2008 Tim rated it it was ok
This is a truly weak link in an excellent series. It's actually quite a pointless and tedious exercise, but anyone who's stuck with "Crown of Stars" this far will get through it OK. Lots of wandering amid padded scenes that are often unnecessary. Breaking up the final volume into two -- "In the Ruins" being the first -- leaves us with a real disappointment here, I'm afraid.
Robin Kettring
Jun 09, 2010 Robin Kettring rated it did not like it
I simply can not finish this book or the series. Get to the point already. There is so much crap that adds nothing to the story that i have grown tired of waiting. *****Dont read this series of books. It is a waste of time.********
Erinn
Oct 27, 2011 Erinn rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
Excellent follow up to the events in #5. I really wish I had the final book on hand I'd have already started it. I can't wait to see how all these story lines tie together. I wish I could go on, but I don't want to drop any spoilers.
Sue
Feb 23, 2009 Sue rated it liked it
Started to notice the same spell-checker errors as in the previous book of the series, but not until the later part of the book. My favorite was the line break in the word "nowhere" done as "now-here" - um, no.
Amy
Mar 11, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I just finished this and can't wait to start the final book in the series. I found the series hard to get into, initially, but now I'm hooked. There are several frustrating plot elements and some characters whose purpose I haven't figured out yet, but overall it's a pretty good series.
Andrea
Jun 18, 2007 Andrea rated it really liked it
Awesome historical fantasy, with a lot of research into day-to-day living details, with realistic political conflicts and consequences and characters that change.
Jay
Feb 06, 2008 Jay rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This one was a lot more stright foreward as both of the seprate groups had gathered together so it wasn't jumping around half as much as before.
Ben
Apr 10, 2013 Ben rated it it was ok
This book is a little shorter than the others in this series. Overall, I thought it was an entertaining read.
Forgottendreamr
Sep 08, 2016 Forgottendreamr rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Not as good as earlier books, and I find the character of Blessing completely obnoxious. At this point, I guess I'm committed, right?
Dolorosa
Dolorosa rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2012
  • Hunter's Death (The Sacred Hunt, #2)
  • Grand Conspiracy (Wars of Light & Shadow #5; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #2)
  • Wild Magic (Fool's Gold, #2)
  • The Gods of Amyrantha (Tide Lords, #2)
  • Sunrunner's Fire (Dragon Prince, #3)
  • Fortress of Eagles (Fortress, #2)
  • The Gold Falcon (The Silver Wyrm, #1; The Dragon Mage, #4)
  • Water Logic (Elemental Logic, #3)
  • The Second Draeken War (Combined Edition)
  • The Perfect Princess
  • Bonds of Vengeance (Winds of the Forelands, #3)
  • The Born Queen (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #4)
As a child in rural Oregon, Kate Elliott made up stories because she longed to escape to a world of lurid adventure fiction. She now writes fantasy, steampunk, and science fiction, often with a romantic edge. It should therefore come as no surprise that she met her future husband in a sword fight.

When he gave up police work to study archaeology, they and their three children fell into an entirely
More about Kate Elliott...

Crown of Stars (7 books)
  • King's Dragon (Crown of Stars, #1)
  • Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2)
  • The Burning Stone (Crown of Stars, #3)
  • Child of Flame (Crown of Stars, #4)
  • The Gathering Storm (Crown of Stars, #5)
  • Crown of Stars (Crown of Stars, #7)