Start by marking “Stephen Hawking's Universe” as Want to Read:
Stephen Hawking's Universe

Stephen Hawking's Universe

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  528 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Here is an intimate glimpse of the greatest scientist of our day, the brilliant physicist confined to a wheelchair whose A Brief History of Time has become the first worldwide scientific bestseller of the century. The story of Stephen Hawking's relentless quest for the secret of the origins of the universe will change forever the way you look at the stars . . . and your pl ...more
Published June 1st 1989 by Avon (first published July 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Stephen Hawking's Universe, please sign up.

Cynda Hi Justin. Sanskrit is a parent language of all the Indo-European languages, Romance and Germanic languages included. Bosco ugh is saying that the…moreHi Justin. Sanskrit is a parent language of all the Indo-European languages, Romance and Germanic languages included. Bosco ugh is saying that the mathematics are arcane, known by only a few, like Sanskrit is.(less)

Jimmy
Jul 02, 2011 Jimmy rated it really liked it
Every time a police car or fire truck drives by, I explain to the person I'm with that we are currently experiencing the Doppler effect...and then I get into how scientists are able to figure out that starts and galaxies are moving away from us based on the same principle. The response I get: "You read too much."

I take it as a compliment, of course.

In Stephen Hawking's Universe, David Filkin does an excellent job of explaining to the average person (meaning someone who doesn't study astronomy or
Megan Tatum
Jan 23, 2011 Megan Tatum rated it really liked it
Loved this book! I checked it out from our local public library, which doesn't always have the most modern options. But even a nearly 30-year-old biography of Hawking was fascinating. It definitely makes me want to read more by and about him.
Glen
Dec 26, 2007 Glen rated it liked it
Covers the basics of theoretical physics, such as the Big Bang , Big Crunch, black holes, bubble theory, and early history of the universe. Interesting stuff. Most of the book is written in layman language with the exception of the last chapter, which was a speech that Hawking gave at Cambridge.
Stephanie
I am not smart enough to get through this book.
Suzanne
Sep 19, 2008 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
An essential read. No answers to the God question, but The Anthropic Principle and the Big Bang arguments are quite compelling!
Rob Waiser
Jul 08, 2012 Rob Waiser rated it it was ok
A decent quick introduction to many of the concepts developed/studied by Hawking through the early '80s. Hawking's own books provide much more depth.
Ellee
A good overview of Hawking's early work, but a lot's happened in cosmological physics since the book was published. It'd be a good warm-up for A Brief History of Time.
Michael
Nov 03, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it
This is a great, if a bit dated, explanation of theoretical physics.
Shounak Chatterjee
Dec 31, 2016 Shounak Chatterjee rated it really liked it
A succinct of the scientific expertise of few of the brightest scientific minds of the human civilization, giving us the opportunity for a passionate glimpse into the greatest cosmological mysteries orbiting around the ever increasing conundrums emerging out of the vastness of the universe – How it was created? What triggered the initiation? What followed? And how it shall end?
All scientific approaches ceases functioning as science delves deeper into the cosmic. This scientific paralysis leads t
Delia Bruno
Oct 09, 2016 Delia Bruno rated it it was amazing
I love science books
Sirish
Feb 15, 2016 Sirish rated it it was ok
Of the Science writers who I love reading, Richard Feynman, James Gleick, Mary Roach, Simon Singh, there is a common characteristic. There is glee in their voice that comes from a childlike excitement for knowledge, a naive curiosity that is bolstered by the personalities of the scientists/ authors. Science is just a vehicle for them to go on an intellectual odyssey, a tool that helps them find prospective paths to answers of our most fundamental questions.

John Boslough reveres Hawking. He seems
Eli
Jun 17, 2013 Eli rated it it was ok
This book was an interesting discussion of theoretical physics, focusing on Einstein and Hawking's own contributions to the discipline. So much of theoretical physics, however, is speculative. The science is perfectly valid, but whether it is true or not is another question. To answer this question one must refer to philosophy, history and the question of metaphysics. How old is the universe? Just because we can mathematically predict what conditions would be like if the universe were billions o ...more
John P
Oct 12, 2015 John P rated it liked it
This review is based on a re-reading of this 1985 book.

Mr. Boslough has done a good job of putting together a short (150 pages), readable, and fast-paced overview of Hawking the person and the physics concepts associated with him.

Because of the compact format, many, if not most, of the concepts are described too briefly for my taste although they remain interesting and flow logically enough.

Recent observations and advances in cosmology have necessarily given this book an outdated feel. However,
Justin Rose
Jan 20, 2015 Justin Rose rated it really liked it
This book focuses mostly Hawking's science (as opposed to his personal life, etc.). Although this is written decades before the TV series "Big Bang Theory", it makes Sheldon seem all the more real. Boslough asks some real questions about science and God that Hawking does not shy from answering. Hawking talking about the physicists discussing the universe's past brought to mind theological dispensationalists discussing the cosmic future. They both use their imaginations to make their unfounded th ...more
Craig
Jul 10, 2012 Craig rated it really liked it
I've always be fascinated with Stephen Hawking, for everything that he has overcome and for all that he has achieved, which would be remarkable in and of itself. While is book, a brief history of the universe looks interesting, it's size I feel is a bit daunting. So I thought this would be a good intro book, and it was very well written by John Boslough. In such a short book he shows not only many of Stephen's early work, but showed a bit of the man behind the theories, including little stories ...more
S.R.
I started this book like 5 years ago and only picked it up again today to finish the last three chapters. I don't have much to say about it other than it certainly gave my young mind a lot to think about when I first began it. The wannabe astronomer in me recognizes the wannabe astrophysicist I used to, well, wanna be. Both were invigorated as I read.
Harry
Mar 22, 2008 Harry rated it it was ok
Watered down and redundant rehash of the stuff covered much more entertainingly and more thoroughly by Hawkings himself in "A Brief History of Time" - don't waste your time with this one - read Hawkings' book...
D. Rae
Dec 28, 2013 D. Rae rated it really liked it
Shelves: rereading
I am giving it four stars because the information is a bit dated. However, this is an excellent reference into the scientist Stephen Hawking and his achievements in his study of Black Holes. I highly recommend this for background info.
Dec 09, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
Interesting and in very dumbed down language (where even I can understand this stuff). Hawking comes across as pretty arrogant, but he is Hawking.
Rick
Mar 26, 2011 Rick added it
Also terrific
Adam Jazzkamp
May 31, 2013 Adam Jazzkamp rated it liked it
A dated but decent read, an amuse-bouche to "A Brief History of Time."
Justin
Nov 05, 2007 Justin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: black hole lovers
Shelves: biography
It was good.
ERNEST MORE
Stole from Cory Hulburt. :-)
Mari
Mari rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Asutosh Maharana
Asutosh Maharana rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2014
Manish Roy
Manish Roy rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2017
Balkar
Balkar rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2013
Ryan Cannon
Ryan Cannon rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Thomas
Thomas rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2015
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
  • Stephen Hawking's Universe: The Cosmos Explained
  • Stephen Hawking: A Quest For The Theory Of Everything
  • Introducing Stephen Hawking
  • Stephen Hawking: A Life in Science
  • God and the New Physics
  • Powers of Ten (Revised) (Scientific American Library Paperback)
  • Stephen Hawking's a Brief History of Time: A Reader's Companion
  • The Case for Mars: The Plan to Settle the Red Planet and Why We Must
  • Science Matters: Achieving Scientific Literacy
  • A Field Guide to Stars and Planets (Peterson Field Guides)
  • The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy & Mathematics from Albert Einstein to Stephen W. Hawking & from Annie Dillard to John Updike
  • Almost Everyone's Guide to Science
  • Gorgon: The Monsters That Ruled the Planet Before Dinosaurs and How They Died in the Greatest Catastrophe in Earth's History
  • Wrinkles in Time
  • Newton
  • Lonely Hearts of the Cosmos: The Story of the Scientific Quest for the Secret of the Universe
  • The End of Science: Facing the Limits of Knowledge in the Twilight of the Scientific Age
  • Carl Sagan: A Life in the Cosmos